Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #141
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
More of an Airstream/Aerospace Marriage and Hey! Everyone's Happy!

Still pushing the airplane equivilent here. The big difference is the fact the aircraft manufacturers and their service technicians are light years ahead of the travel-trailer world. I know travel trailers aren't meant to fly in a pressurized airspace, but surely some of the durability aspects embraced by the aerospace industry could be considered by Airstream.

Condensation/corrosion is also a major concern with airplanes. I've been pestering my poor friend about some of this. He's gone from +20 to -56 back to +35 in a flight. He's seen the water pouring off the plane in the tropics when they land; very cold metal hitting a hot, humid environment.

Floor corrosion in areas such as the pax cabin/galley/lavatory area is something the aerospace designers have tackled aggressively:
Corroded galley floor beams from older Boeing-747.

These extremely light-weight and structurally sound honeycomb floor panels have since been developed; they might be the ultimate answer for Airstream.
Fibrelam® Honeycomb Sandwich Panels for Aerospace

Airstream and its dealers like to play the "owner maintenance card." But what do they do to insure their customers are preventative maintenance? The only thing I was warned about during my walk-through at the dealership was this: make sure you have the fan going when you take a shower because too much condensation is bad. Everything else was learned on this forum!

Airplanes wouldn't last long without the proper maintenance either. The manufacturers are always issuing directives to its customers about preventative/corrective maintenance. I know any failure in a trailer isn't going to cause a massive loss of life, but if there was more of a maintenance connection between Airstream and that one customer - that would make a planeload of difference!

I like what Boeing says below. I have inserted "Airstream" in italics. Now, wouldn't it be great if that was on page one of the Airstream Owner's Manual? The marriage of a well-designed trailer with owners who are well-informed about preventive/follow-up maintenance.

"Boeing (Airstream) designs airplanes (trailers) to resist corrosion through selection of the proper materials and finishes and the use of drainage, sealants, and corrosion inhibitors. These designs are based on knowledge of what causes corrosion and the types of corrosion that occur in airplane (trailer) structure. In addition, following a corrosion control program is necessary throughout the service life of the airplane (trailer). These activities are essential for controlling corrosion to a predictable, manageable level that does not degrade structure or jeopardize the ability of the airplane (trailer) to carry its intended design loads."
Old 06-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #142
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
...The only thing I was warned about during my walk-through at the dealership was this: make sure you have the fan going when you take a shower because too much condensation is bad. Everything else was learned on this forum!
Interesting... after an exhaustive orientation by the dealership, complete with checklists, notes, photographs, and an overnight stay in the Airstream before we signed the papers, keeping the fan on while showering wasn't mentioned. Realizing that not all dealerships are created equal, I feel fortunate to have one that excelled in their thoroughness.

Quote:
I know any failure in a trailer isn't going to cause a massive loss of life, but if there was more of a maintenance connection between Airstream and that one customer - that would make a planeload of difference!
"Boeing (Airstream) designs airplanes (trailers) to resist corrosion through selection of the proper materials and finishes and the use of drainage, sealants, and corrosion inhibitors. These designs are based on knowledge of what causes corrosion and the types of corrosion that occur in airplane (trailer) structure. In addition, following a corrosion control program is necessary throughout the service life of the airplane (trailer). These activities are essential for controlling corrosion to a predictable, manageable level that does not degrade structure or jeopardize the ability of the airplane (trailer) to carry its intended design loads." [/QUOTE]

The constant, and perplexing, analogy between Airstreams and airplanes notwithstanding...
I totally agree that a corrosion control program is necessary to maintain the appearance of any Airstream. But, after faithfully following all of the AS recommended maintenance procedures, and the corrosion appears in less than one year of purchase, and then reappears on the same replacement parts that were supplied to the dealership by Airstream in less than a year, there needs to be some accountability from the manufacturer.

And, in another analogy which may be more relevant to this discussion (the comparison of vintage and current models)... I have a 44 year old Airstream that has lived outside for its entire existence that has no trace of this type (filiform)of corrosion, or leaks in the skin. Go figure. This leads me to believe Airstream should get back to sound manufacturing processes, and to quit trying to cut costs. As always, I could be wrong.

Ironically, I'm at the Airplanes and Airstream Rally. Weather permitting, when the planes start to land tomorrow, I promise to take a real careful look.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #143
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I have a friend who works for Alaska Air as an aviation mechanic. The scheduled maintenance on a plane is as described by Fly dictated by the factory. In this case Boeing. Alaska flies Boeing exclusively, except maybe on some small commuters. The planes DO leak, some like the older 737's leak badly. These leaks present problems as the water freezes at 35,000 ft and adds weight to the plane. The maintenance on this fleet is intentional and constant. I've seen some of the maintenance checklists and they are comprehensive, model specific and sometimes even specific to a particular plane.

Dan
Old 06-23-2012, 12:50 AM   #144
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Lightbulb

The next time I'm cruising along with my Bambi at 35,000 ft., I will be certain to test for leaks before the journey.

Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Finding Leaks In Your Camper At Home

Why drop a buck and a half twice a year on some fancy RV pressure test when all I need is a leaf blower and some duct tape? I'm retired and live in the woods, so I have a leaf blower, and plenty of tape and time. Maybe, by using my gas powered leaf blower, I can get this thing to create positive cabin pressure while at altitude.
WDCU
Old 06-23-2012, 01:01 AM   #145
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
A leaf blower would work great.... You don't need much pressure, less that ilb. I'm thinkng of the leaf blower and applying the Dawn (for bubbles) with a pump pestecide sprayer. This is a good testing application. And you can do it at ground level. If you do it take a lumber crayon with you to mark the leaks or you'll forget exactly they are.

Dan
Old 06-23-2012, 01:25 AM   #146
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Alternate marking devices: "China marking pencils" and "grease pencils", both available at office supply, art supply and hobby stores.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:48 AM   #147
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Hobe Sound , Florida
Does anyone have a remedy for this: The caulking between the bath counter and wall is caulked - from the factory. This caulking breaks loose from travel (heat, too, perhaps) and separates from the wall - which is very unattractive. Have had it recaulked but doesn't last. Any thoughts of a way to cover this gap other than caulk?

Also, as a quality control concern, we have an 06 Classic Ltd. Bath sink faucet is gold, shower door frame is gold, shower head is gold, shower valve/handle is CHROME. Not even funny.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:08 AM   #148
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Hobe Sound , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenturnr
Does anyone have a remedy for this: The caulking between the bath counter and wall is caulked - from the factory. This caulking breaks loose from travel (heat, too, perhaps) and separates from the wall - which is very unattractive. Have had it recaulked but doesn't last. Any thoughts of a way to cover this gap other than caulk?

Also, as a quality control concern, we have an 06 Classic Ltd. Bath sink faucet is gold, shower door frame is gold, shower head is gold, shower valve/handle is CHROME. Not even funny.
I should have said the GAP between the bath counter and wall is caulked......
Old 06-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #149
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Cornerflex.com has a really nice peel & stick caulk, although in limited colors. (I haven't figured out how to copy and paste on the iPad.)

We recently used this after painting the walls in our kitchen at home. It looks more like very narrow trim than caulk.

Maggie
Old 06-23-2012, 07:26 AM   #150
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The comparison between airplanes and Airstreams is inevitable. The design of the trailer was inspired by an airplane. Some of the materials are similar. We can learn from airplanes and adopt the things that will work for a trailer.

As for the bathroom counter, I have re-caulked the space between the wall and the counter twice and it keeps coming apart. Perhaps the wall should be bolted to the wall just below the countertop. It is obvious the wall moves differently than the cabinet. I think the movement is at least partially caused by the expansion/contraction cycle during the winter.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #151
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
I would like to see Airstream do what some of the small aircraft manufacturers do, sell the trailer in a kit form. In the aircraft industry, they are considered experimental, non certified. It would be nice to be able to purchase the outer shell in one piece. If you wanted to buy their frame you could, but I would make my own. There is a lot of talent on this forum and it is more work to take down an old trailer and do a shell off restoration than it is to build a new one.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #152
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Interesting... after an exhaustive orientation by the dealership, complete with checklists, notes, photographs, and an overnight stay in the Airstream before we signed the papers, keeping the fan on while showering wasn't mentioned. Realizing that not all dealerships are created equal, I feel fortunate to have one that excelled in their thoroughness.
Silver Ranger, I meant they did not elaborate the corrosion/condensation issue. My dealer also put me through an extensive walk-through -- they actually did it twice because I was pathetic.

Quote:
I have a friend who works for Alaska Air as an aviation mechanic. The scheduled maintenance on a plane is as described by Fly dictated by the factory. In this case Boeing. Alaska flies Boeing exclusively, except maybe on some small commuters. The planes DO leak, some like the older 737's leak badly. These leaks present problems as the water freezes at 35,000 ft and adds weight to the plane. The maintenance on this fleet is intentional and constant. I've seen some of the maintenance checklists and they are comprehensive, model specific and sometimes even specific to a particular plane.
Dan, WestJet is the same. They only fly the Boeing-737. However, they got rid of all their older planes and replaced them with the 737NG series. This improved series will save the airline money on fuel and maintenance in the long run - plus they have an increased passenger capacity. I believe the series is not model specific in regards to maintenance. I know my friend can fly the 600/700/800 models w/o having to be typed for each.

Quote:
The comparison between airplanes and Airstreams is inevitable. The design of the trailer was inspired by an airplane. Some of the materials are similar. We can learn from airplanes and adopt the things that will work for a trailer.
Gene, that's exactly what I was trying to say. How many times have you heard "Made from material developed for NASA?" It could even be something like a frying pan. Anything made for aerospace is "top of the world" - pun intended. If it works for aerospace and is cost effective- it would more than work on a trailer!

Quote:
I would like to see Airstream do what some of the small aircraft manufacturers do, sell the trailer in a kit form. In the aircraft industry, they are considered experimental, non certified.
M2HB, umm....I have seen a few of those "non-certified" homebuilt airplanes. Thank cripes Transport Canada has a rule - it has to be written on the side of the airplane.

Whoever gets into one of those has a lot of guts! The "inventiveness" of the builders often makes me laugh, i.e. a plastic garden chair with the legs cut off became the pilot seat. (Well, it is light weight).
These "non-certifiable" airplanes often get donated to the vintage-aviation club I am associated with (or sometimes just the kit) by these wannabee Lindberghs: "My wife told me if I get into this, she's leaving."

Sorry for going off course (again). I can't help myself. A kit for Airstreams might work - although I would never attempt it.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #153
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
One of the last jobs I did was a seismic upgrade and line addition to the Boeing 4-20 building in Renton. This was done to upgrade the building which sits on the shore of Lake Washington and predates WW-2. All of this work was done so Boeing could begin production on the 737 Posidon. It was a difficult job.

My point being....... I worked all over the building for more than two years. I was able to observe assembly and finish work from start to finish. The amount of manual labor put into one of these jets is considerable. These planes are largely hand built, much like your AS. The jigs, work stations, assembly points, riveting etc. are mostly done with 10 fingers. Lots of the assembly equipment has been around for years and is still in use. Not much rocket science here, just a well paid, well trained workforce that is dedicated to quality and a serious QC program that works in conjunction with engineering and production to insure the build is perfect. This kind of culture has made airline safety and quality a given.

What does this say about the argument of hand built quality vs mass production? And don't tell me that airplanes NEED to be safer. I want my AS to be safe as well when I'm flying down the road at 70mph.

Hand built does not mean you need to expect flaws or poor construction. Your and my expectations and money largely dictate the kind of product we get. I'm very satisfied so far but.......wary, and I shouldn't have to be.

I'm done for now, but I will be back.

Dan
Old 06-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #154
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I believe at one time Airstream would sell shells with frames for those who wanted to outfit them. I think it would have to have a subfloor too to make it last through shipping. I don't think they do that anymore. I think if they did, their lawyers would have comprehensive waivers of liability stapled to the subfloor. Electrical would be installed because wires go between the skins. Whether it came with windows is another question—they strengthen the shell.

If you had the shell, frame and subfloor, would you then remove the inner skin and upgrade insulation, seals, subfloor?

A better kit would be the skins and maybe the frame and ribs unassembled for you to build.

Since you could not get the appliances, water tanks, etc., at the cost Airstream can get them at, your expenses might be too high even if you build your own cabinets and partitions. But some people would do it including restoration companies wanting to build specially appointed Airstreams. Large companies such as Ford, Chrysler, GM and others supply partially built trucks for Class and A and C MH's, and make money at it. The modifications done by people who buy kits could be useful for Airstream to generate ideas for Airstream built trailers. Research for modifications would be done by these individuals and companies at no cost to Airstream except for Airstream to follow the process and adopt what makes sense.

Schu is at the WBCCI International Rally and is reading the thread, but is understandably busy and can't reply.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #155
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Gene
Of course it's inevitable to compare Airstreams to some airplanes, especially small aircraft. I've also seen their production compared to cars, houses and boats, etc., and suppose it all can have some relevance to their construction. I was commenting on the difference between the design, construction, and maintenance of a towed travel trailer, being compared to that of a self-propelled craft designed to be cruising at 485 MPH, at 35,000 feet, while carrying 136 passengers, with very demanding maintenance requirements. While I agree that anything that can be adapted from the aircraft, marine, automotive, etc. industry can be of use, I think comparing them to smaller aircraft may be more realistic.

Quote:
Silver Ranger, I meant they did not elaborate the corrosion/condensation issue. My dealer also put me through an extensive walk-through -- they actually did it twice because I was pathetic.
Fly at Night
I took lots of notes and pictures, and even compiled a list of additional questions for the next day, and still wish I could have done it all over again. I do recall that there was no mention of corrosion prevention or maintenance, only the importance of the recommended maintenance as outlined in the manual, which I followed. Looks like both of our dealers had a very thorough orientation.

Meanwhile, back at the Airplanes and Airstreams Rally:

Some planes, rivets, and screws. How about the aerodynamics on that Cadillac.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AA1.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	627.3 KB
ID:	161637   Click image for larger version

Name:	AA2.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	611.1 KB
ID:	161638  

Name:	AA3 screws.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	161639   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3254 [1600x1200].JPG
Views:	95
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	161640  

Name:	IMGP3255 [1600x1200].JPG
Views:	77
Size:	400.1 KB
ID:	161642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3258 [1600x1200].JPG
Views:	73
Size:	399.9 KB
ID:	161643  

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	605.2 KB
ID:	161644  
WDCU
Old 06-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #156
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
SR,

LOVE that Caddy!!!

1946 Series 62?

Bob
Old 06-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #157
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
SR,

LOVE that Caddy!!!

1946 Series 62?

Bob
It's a 48 body on a 75ish Oldsmobile chassis and engine. We caravanned with the owner to Canada a few years back, and it really hauls ass. I could barely keep up. I'll put up a better picture later.
WDCU
Old 06-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #158
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
I got a new BMW 550i this March and a new 23' AS Int'l. Serenity last August, both roughly the same price (BMW slightly more). The difference in build quality is stark. Virtually no issues with the BMW. The AS, while having no significant problems, had a number of examples of poor quality control that I found surprising. I think that AS, given the price of its product, should be expected to do a much better job of manufacturing their product, both in sourcing and in assembly.

I am at heart not a negative person, and in fact love using the AS, but in my opinion (am apparently not alone here) AS needs to do a significantly better job of building their product.

John S.
It has been some time since I last participated on this here forum.

Our Airstream, however, continues to be be a very BIG part of our lives.

The above post, IMNSO opinion SAYS IT ALL related to this here thread.

Our Airstream has had what we consider significant problems since we purchased it new in October 2007. To it's credit, the service at the Airstream factory deserves kudos galore. Never was anything questioned; all was just taken care of; while it was under warranty.

We did not bother to receive any warranty service, except in one instance, from any dealers; they, frankly, did not have a clue about how to repair Airstreams in any way, shape or form. Also, the factory service facility was spoken of highly by everyone we spoke with.

Having said all that, I do understand many of the issues of difference between the production of an automobile and a RV.

But, even with that, it is hard to accept that products that are produced by third parties and installed in RV's are not subject to the same STRINGENT demands that auto makers like BMW require of their suppliers.

Therein lie many of the problems we had.

But, the door on our trailer that had to be repaired at the factory is an issue that Airstream itself owns..

The repair led to the pins on the hinges being drilled and pinned and the screws through the hinges into the trailer frame being replaced by bolts and nuts to keep the hinges against the trailer (all by the factory service department) speaks volumes about the lack of build quality associated with the production of Airstreams.

The door once again is not closing properly because it is torqued out of shape.

The problem is not solved and this is nothing but something that Airstream itself owns given that they make their doors in the factory.

We have only owned one BMW automobile, that being a 1984, and build quality in those days was nothing like it is today. But, not one of the doors on that car had problems and it cost nowhere near the price of our Airstream.

I am also in vehement agreement with a previous poster about build quality being reflected in warranty expiration.

We now have a 5 year old trailer on which my wife can barely pull the door open.

If Airstream wants to do something for its product it needs to do something about quality.

Our trailer retailed for more than $80,000 and five years later we can barely get the door open and/or closed. Does anyone here honestly think we will be repeat purchasers?

Come on Dave, this is really, really simple stuff and your customer have been beating y'all over the head about this for as long as I have been on this here forum; here are three KEY things on which Airstream should FOCUS:

If you charge a premium price (you do) - you have to provide a premium product (you, sadly, do not).

If you charge a premium price you have to provide a premium warranty (again, sadly, you do not).

If you charge a premium price you have to provide a premium service experience (you do not) - your dealer service network, frankly, stinks. OK, there are about four, count them, four, really good Airstream service facilities in the USA, and one of those has had its license to sell new Airstream's revoked, sigh.

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:39 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
It's a 48 body on a 75ish Oldsmobile chassis and engine. We caravanned with the owner to Canada a few years back, and it really hauls ass. I could barely keep up. I'll put up a better picture later.
Here you go, Bob.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	48 Caddy.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	161682  
WDCU
Old 06-24-2012, 05:22 AM   #160
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Powell , Ohio
I would like to see the number of Keys needed to operate the trailer reduced. I do not like feeling like a janitor with this wade of keys,
tbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote