Old 06-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Fly, a floor plan and appointments that reflect small families and singles (miserable or not) would be a good idea. I think things that work for the more electronic world also make for good plans.

We put in a cabinet (see below) where one cushion on the gaucho was located for microwave and printer. The idea came from Moosetags—they did a similar thing and I just copied it. I got the cabinet (actually a weirdly sized bookcase) on special order from an unpainted furniture store and finished it. I put a strip of wood in the front of the upper shelf to keep the microwave from flying out. Holes need to be drilled in the back for wires. The cabinet is screwed to the guacho. A space between the cabinet and TV wall provides space for odds and ends such as the Airstream bag with owner's manual and other stuff. The top gives us another counter area for the cook. We now have a magazine rack on the left side—clear plastic item from the Container Store. We don't use the extra sleeping areas as we don't bring people with us. If we did, we'd bring a tent too.

Another electronic idea would be to provide cables (USB maybe) to the roof for mounting wifi boosters and high gain antennas for wifi and cell boosters. The metal shell makes receiving wifi and cell calls somewhat difficult. The best solution would be a cell booster and a wifi booster integrated into the trailer.

With more and more sensitive electronics, a hard wired surge protector for the entire trailer would be a good option. I installed one under the edge of the bed, but not a good solution. You can hit your foot on it and it is not the safest place for it. One could be installed in a cabinet with a remote to read what it is doing. Might as well have a volt meter (2 readouts: 120 v. AC and 12 v. DC) mounted next to the tank monitor.

That option can go with the twinkly lights on the ceiling.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010016.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	161384  

Old 06-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
While we are on suggestions here... this may not apply to everyone, but I would like to see about 3 more inches in height. I think I have broken everything attached to the ceiling with my head. ( I still love my Airstream though)
I may just have to keep ducking for now....

WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
In keeping with Gene's original premise for this thread (lest we be accused of hijacking) then I would suggest twinkly stars on the ceiling of future designs that FAN is talking about...

Been done, sort of. I use glow-in-the-dark stars, of various colors and sizes, to cover up the black aluminum dust spots that leach through the sagging mouse fur in my Bambi. It's getting to be quite a vast universe after the lights go out. It's all good, as plays into my child-like fascination with lights and shiny objects. I have a remote control LED moon that's going up soon.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Nice thread! And I appreciate Schu's participation.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #89
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Nice thread! And I appreciate Schu's participation.
Ditto on both counts. Really impressed seeing the factory guys being vocal here on the forums once again. Good job Schu in a difficult situation.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan

Ditto on both counts. Really impressed seeing the factory guys being vocal here on the forums once again. Good job Schu in a difficult situation.

Jim
X2 great input!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
I would like to see a 30' FB and a power awning.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #92
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Has it always been like this?

This is a great thread and "MOST" folks are able to keep it in the "suggestion" range of comments. Hard to do, right!
Anytime quality control is an issue we (humans) always seem to go back to the good old days, when everything was "always" built better. Whether it was a car, or a trailer, or even a house... The new materials ae not up to snuff, the workmanship just isn't what it used to be, etc... we all do it.

So a few months back I was finishing up a complete LED replacement on all our outside lights. As I finished the last one, the curb side clearance light in front, I noticed the housing seemed crooked. When I stepped back a few feet and looked, sure enough that housing was mounted crooked. I could just imagine the proud owner of a brand new 1984 Sovereign the first time she or he noticed the same thing.
"Dang, they just don't build 'em like they used to!"

Good thread, and good trailers.
Keep up the good work Airstream, and keep up the productive pressure fellow streamers.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Gene, I think your cabinet conversion is sheer genius.

I would like to install something similar with a pull-out that I could sit at with my knees under for my laptop.

Quote:
I would suggest twinkly stars on the ceiling of future designs that FAN is talking about.
Dana, fantastic! Just imagine the tagline Airstream could use in their advertising: "Stars optional." Or...."Good-night. Don't forget to leave the stars on."

And here's a lamp for you.
http://www.prlog.org/10176585-moon-lamp-12-different-moon-phases-when-daybeak-or-daytime-coming.html

Quote:
Really impressed seeing the factory guys being vocal here on the forums once again. Good job Schu in a difficult situation.
Ditto!
Old 06-20-2012, 12:33 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
... after pretty much rebuilding my recent vintage Airstream, here are my suggestions - in random order:

- Use a beefier frame. Yes, I know the shell is magic and is supposed to support the frame... but people are dragging the butts of their rigs on the ground and denting the rear, twisting the frame, and giving room for disastrous leaks... outriggers are sagging... just bite the bullet and add 100lbs and go to a boxed frame.

- stop mixing flat stuff and curved stuff. Vents, fans, windows... not meant for complex multi-radii curves. My roof has places water can sit 1 inch deep...

- WHEN water leaks occur, make your construction have capacity to manage it without requiring complete floor replacements. Composite floors, and some type of drainage for the walls somehow... Really, the double-hull design of Airstream requires NO leaking from the exterior...

- stop cutting aluminum using tin snips. Stop cutting wood panels with jig-saws.

- if you are going to put ANYTHING behind a riveted panel, it better last for 25 years or more

- have full, detailed schematics on your web-site for do-it-yourselfers

- vacuum up all your metal shavings, rivet shanks, sawdust, wire-ends... BEFORE putting vinyl, the bed, the furnace... on top of it.

- if you can see daylight through the wheel-well cover from inside, don't let it leave the factory. If you've missed the outrigger with your floor-bolt, at least seal the missed hole.

I will think of more...
Old 06-20-2012, 12:42 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
... stop advertising your trailer as all-climate when your vinyl explodes like the Grand Canyon in cold weather ... $7000 to replace at an authorized dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010838.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	161397  
Old 06-20-2012, 01:09 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I just had a thought: I wonder how the airplane manufacturers affix things to the roof like the antennae and entertainment satellite? I know it is all put on after the fuselage is completed. The high-altitude stress and weather put upon a fuselage is extreme. If it works for a Boeing-737, it sure would work on an Airstream. Have you ever seen a leaky jet? I'm going to ask my friend when he recovers from his last trip. He's a pilot extraordinaire and an all-around nice guy. If he doesn't know the answer, he'll make an effort to find out.

Airstream was modelled after an airplane. But airplane manufacturers are always improving the design and technology. My friend was recently explaining the new engines - what is coming out in the next few years will put the last decade of engine design into the dark ages. Perhaps Airstream could embrace some of this enthusiasm?

Old 06-20-2012, 04:47 AM   #97
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
"I just had a thought: I wonder how the airplane manufacturers affix things to the roof like the antennae and entertainment satellite?"

Double sided tape.

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Where can one find the magic never fail double sided tape that some are talking about? I have tried to use double sided tape to put items up in my Bambi II and they keep falling off. I have started using "Industrial" strength Velcro. That stuff works like a champ.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote