Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #61
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
General observation on Quality Control

I got a new BMW 550i this March and a new 23' AS Int'l. Serenity last August, both roughly the same price (BMW slightly more). The difference in build quality is stark. Virtually no issues with the BMW. The AS, while having no significant problems, had a number of examples of poor quality control that I found surprising. I think that AS, given the price of its product, should be expected to do a much better job of manufacturing their product, both in sourcing and in assembly.

I am at heart not a negative person, and in fact love using the AS, but in my opinion (am apparently not alone here) AS needs to do a significantly better job of building their product.

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2009 16' DWR
Venice , Florida
If you look at post #54 and #55 you will see a classic example of poor design and poor fit and finish. It is the same on my 2008 Bambi DWR. The cover that goes over the LP bottles is poorly designed and does not fit properly. I have a Toyota FJ Cruiser for a TV, and I have never had an issue with it in almost three years. It cost half of what my Bambi cost new! Just as Robert did in post #55, many of us are having to use our own ingenuity to come up with fixes for problems that should be embarrassing for AS. These are not even technical things. If they actually used their own product, they would see the same poor fit and finish that we do.

There is a program on television called 'Under Cover Boss', maybe the head of Thor Industries needs to to disguise himself and go under cover at AS to see where some of these problems are originating and what they can do to bring AS back in line with the quality, innovation and fit and finish that we expect.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #63
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
The last trailer with OSB flooring was 2006

The edge of the fllor fits into a u shaped channel and not easily caulked to size of cavity.The exterior seem is sealed at edge of side sheet and underbelly.

We use several floor coverings --most are vinyl --stapled and glued around perimeter per manufacturer.

Tabled leg is still screwed when installed correctly works.

The side walls are routed using computer program.

We will see how the threshold is accepted.
Thanks again for the reply. OSB, I thought only some trim lines had it and when did it start?

My vinyl was not glued, but it was stapled. I am surprised the manufacturer would say to put things on top of the vinyl as even ceramic tile manufacturers recommend an expansion/contraction space at all walls.

Some more suggestions:

1. This may have been corrected. For years the propane cover was atop some wires and trapping them against the frame, thus wearing the insulation off. Wires need to be routed from under the cover. The latch for the cover top is rusting after 4 1/2 years; better quality latch suggested.

2. The water pump in ours was installed backwards and access to the filter was almost impossible. Has it been turned around? Mounting the pump on a rubber mat would reduce noise.

3. Someone described the sealant on the roof as looking like it was applied by a monkey. Some training in how to apply sealant effectively and do it neatly is necessary.

4. Formica edge banding was not applied properly and I have to reattach it every year in one or two places. Either the guy who applied it took too little time to heat and activate the glue, or this glue does not work well in extreme temps. Since it stays after I heat it with an old iron, I suspect the workers need training how to do this.

5. The pre-installed cable for solar is 10 AWG. As solar systems get more powerful and prices go down, more panels are being installed. Thus it would be appropriate to pre-install 8 AWG cable. When the dealer installed a solar panel, they did not know about the pre-installed cable and drilled a hole through the roof to run a cable—better training needed at the dealer level.

6. Getting back to the subfloor—on another thread there is a drawing for the edge of the floor. It uses Z flashing to direct any water inside the skins down and out to ground, possibly through weep holes. It keeps water out of the belly pan and from damaging the edge of the subfloor. This is pretty standard construction technique for housing.

7. Rivets in the rear section of my belly pan have been working through the holes drilled in the sheet metal. The holes are too big or the rivets are too small and because they are close in size, vibration eats a bigger hole in the pan. I fixed it with stainless steel screws and washers.

8. Why not weep holes in the pan to direct water to the ground rather than accumulating on the top of the sheet metal.

9. The belly pan is unevenly applied to the frame and obviously does not seal the bottom. A rigid metal strip along the frame would hold the pan tight to the frame. This should be sealed to keep water splash from getting into the area.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
Schu, My 2012 25FC did not have a pillowtop mattress. Since you are saying it should have had one would you be willing to reinburse me for the Sensus topper I had to buy so I could get a good rest?
The pillow top mattress was a running line change in Dec 2011. mid model year.
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
There are always threads about QC, workmanship, design and corporate policies. Sometimes on these threads there are suggestions about how to improve Airstreams, they get lost amongst the frustrations.

Let's focus on suggestions to improve them on this thread. Maybe Airstream will engage and tell us what they think and whether they will adopt the ideas.

So, I'll start:

To produce a waterproof trailer is not all that difficult. Cars and trucks don't leak, so Airstreams don't have to either. Here's how:

1. Attach roof items with 2 sided extra strong tape. This stuff works. The number of screw holes would be significantly less.

2. Any other penetrations should be sealed with rubber (or rubber like substance) strips. You've started to do this with courtesy lights and at the rear bump compartment, but it can be done everywhere.

3. Use rubber seals under the overlapping outer skim panels.

4. Will bolts and nuts seal better than rivets? Stainless steel bolts with square drive and round heads will look like rivets. Check this out; maybe labor costs would be less.

5. Keep rivet guns clean so rivets are not scored and set gun with less power so dimples do not appear in the outer skin. Both these things may reduce failed clear coat and corrosion.

6. Abandon the skylight—one less place to leak and a lot of people don't like it (too much sun and heat, or loss of heat in cold climates).

7. Abandon panos in bedrooms—are corner windows really necessary in a room usually curtained? This would save money, reduce chance of water penetration, make for stronger trailer, and be a trade off for any expenses of better seals.

8. Don't use flat bottomed items on curves—unless a seal that curves on one side and is flat on the other.

9. Lens for lights on cars do not pop out when squeezed—they are screwed down and sealed and don't leak. Do the same.

10. Awning supports are installed over a seam making it almost impossible to seal properly. Move one or the other. WHen water runs off the roof and comes down at the ends of the awning, it streams down on the awning supports making them especially vulnerable. A rain gutter would help.

A water tight RV would be a rarity and make Airstream innovative as befits a "premium" brand. But the promise must be followed with good quality seals, not the cheapest made.

More ideas? Mods, move this if there's a better place for it.

Gene
Gene,

#1 -- While there are some excellent adhesives in the marketplace, there is no substitute for the long term durability and performance of a mechanical fastener particularly on a roof where fastened objects are subject to 70 mph winds, rain, and UV light. Any chemical adhesive will break down over time. I personally prefer the use of adhesive sealants and mechanical fasteners on the exterior.
#2 & #3 -- Any natural rubber or synthetic rubber will deteriorate over time the same as sealants. After 10 years finding replacements could be a problem unless Airstream decides to maintain a large parts inventory. However, more use of rubber seals could reduce the incidence of leaks in the first 5 years or so of the trailer's life, thereby increasing initial owner satisfaction. For this reason alone more use of seals should be considered.
#4 -- Good question for an engineer. There may be manufacturing in-process quality control issues with using the number of bolts and nuts required to assemble a unit. There may also be a significant labor cost differential.
#5 -- This is a manufacturing operator training and in-process quality control issue. Should be simple to fix.
#6 - The Maxim skylight seems to be the answer for those who do like the skylight and want something that won't leak and will last more than the warranty period. Unfortunately the per unit cost is likely 5 to 10 times the inexpensive skylight being used today by Airstream. If so this price differential is too large for them to adopt it. My factory skylight has been replaced once already and I'm in the process of placing my order with Maxim for a long term solution.
#7 - My 2008 27FB Safari SE does not have the pano window in the bedroom. We are very happy with this plan, even though the salesperson at a large Airstream dealer in the northeast told us no one would want it when it came time to resell the trailer. The closets on either side of the bed provide extra storage and hanging space. The cubbies in the side of the closets provide handy space for books, eyeglasses and alarm clocks as well as charging of cell phones (there are 110 outlets on both sides). We don't have the pano leak issue in the front of the trailer which takes the brunt of wind and rain while on the road. As you mentioned, the smaller window area makes the bedroom darker for sleeping, particularly afternoon naps. If I were ordering a new trailer I'd go with the bedside closets instead of bedroom pano window again.
#8 -- Good thought.
#9 -- Exterior lights can be improved on a number of dimensions. They have been an aggravating source of leaks for my unit.
#10 -- I strongly agree.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson center , Ohio
Quote:
Thanks again for the reply. OSB, I thought only some trim lines had it and when did it start?

My vinyl was not glued, but it was stapled. I am surprised the manufacturer would say to put things on top of the vinyl as even ceramic tile manufacturers recommend an expansion/contraction space at all walls.
The vinyl is glue around the edges (about 4-5") and then stapled along the wall.
Some more suggestions:

1. This may have been corrected. For years the propane cover was atop some wires and trapping them against the frame, thus wearing the insulation off. Wires need to be routed from under the cover. The latch for the cover top is rusting after 4 1/2 years; better quality latch suggested.
The Bottle cover has been modified to address this issue. Had been a problem

2. The water pump in ours was installed backwards and access to the filter was almost impossible. Has it been turned around? Mounting the pump on a rubber mat would reduce noise.

Sorry about the installation.All current pumps have a garden hose type hose on the inlet and outlet side of pump to help reduce vibration.

3. Someone described the sealant on the roof as looking like it was applied by a monkey. Some training in how to apply sealant effectively and do it neatly is necessary.

Agree we continue to work towards improving

4. Formica edge banding was not applied properly and I have to reattach it every year in one or two places. Either the guy who applied it took too little time to heat and activate the glue, or this glue does not work well in extreme temps. Since it stays after I heat it with an old iron, I suspect the workers need training how to do this.

We have changed thickness of the edge banding and have installed new equipment that should take care of this issue.

5. The pre-installed cable for solar is 10 AWG. As solar systems get more powerful and prices go down, more panels are being installed. Thus it would be appropriate to pre-install 8 AWG cable. When the dealer installed a solar panel, they did not know about the pre-installed cable and drilled a hole through the roof to run a cable—better training needed at the dealer level.

Noted. 10 guage works for current production options

6. Getting back to the subfloor—on another thread there is a drawing for the edge of the floor. It uses Z flashing to direct any water inside the skins down and out to ground, possibly through weep holes. It keeps water out of the belly pan and from damaging the edge of the subfloor. This is pretty standard construction technique for housing.

7. Rivets in the rear section of my belly pan have been working through the holes drilled in the sheet metal. The holes are too big or the rivets are too small and because they are close in size, vibration eats a bigger hole in the pan. I fixed it with stainless steel screws and washers.

We have changed the type rivets being used in the underbelly along with verifying proper drill bit size.

8. Why not weep holes in the pan to direct water to the ground rather than accumulating on the top of the sheet metal.

9. The belly pan is unevenly applied to the frame and obviously does not seal the bottom. A rigid metal strip along the frame would hold the pan tight to the frame. This should be sealed to keep water splash from getting into the area.

I understand your thoughts on 8 and 9 but no solution at present.

Gene
Please read inserts to questions.
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #67
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Schu,

Once again, thanks for the reply. Try putting inserts in bold so they are easier to see; I know there's a way to break up the quote into parts, but I don't know how to do it yet either.

The vinyl—when I pulled up the vinyl, there was a black substance that had been brushed on the subfloor about 5-8" inward. It had been applied poorly with a number of areas missed. If this were glue, it failed and only the staples were holding the vinyl down. I thought it was some type of sealant to protect the perimeter of the plywood, but maybe it was glue.

Chuck,

I appreciate your analysis. I sure hope the heavy duty 2 sided tape works because my solar panels are attached with it. Lewster's have been attached even longer and I think they are still on his roof. It is possible that 2 sided tape and several fasteners would be the fail safe option; that would still substantially reduce the number of penetrations. I am more optimistic about the life of rubber seals as I have had vehicles that don't leak for 10 or more years. Standard sizes should be used to make sure they are available years from now. If I had realized the panos were such leakers, we might have opted for the 27' FB like yours.

Thanks for your response done in a reasoned and calm manner—a good example of how to discuss and brainstorm issues with fire and brimstone.

No more suggestions right now from me, though I'm itching to get at the insulation.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #68
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
10. Awning supports are installed over a seam making it almost impossible to seal properly. Move one or the other. WHen water runs off the roof and comes down at the ends of the awning, it streams down on the awning supports making them especially vulnerable. A rain gutter would help.

I believe the supports must be fastened to an interior rib for support. Diversion/thorough sealing is probably the answer.

Bob
Old 06-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I believe Robert's is the same as our's, a "tool box".

Bob
Mine has my rust collection in it.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Just a note about water leaks. The first line of defense should be gravity, with sealer secondary. You wouldn't shingle a house roof starting at the top, and sealing each row of shingles as you go. Cars didn't used to be leak free either, until we got our design and process under control and quit relying on water test to find leaks. The off shore producers never had water test, and their cars didn't leak. I speak from experience, 45 years in product engineering at GM.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_lewis77 View Post
Is that battery box for the main batteries? I have a cutout in the rear of my propane box, but could never figure out what is was for. My batteries are on the front wall below the pano windows.

Attachment 161361
Quote:
I believe Robert's is the same as our's, a "tool box".

Bob
Hi, mine is the battery box; I don't have the two doors in my front body are like you do. It is just like your tool box, but deeper.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:

Gene
Hi, I re-routed my tongue jack wires along my frame so they wouldn't get pinched. On the new Airstreams, they cut a hole in the propane cover. I like my idea better. The top picture is mine and you might be able to see where I run my wires along the frame, under the propane cover. The second picture shows the hole in the propane tank cover where Airstream runs the wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7832RS.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	161371   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7823RS.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	161372  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 06-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Some other "small things"...

No double sided tape to hold things together, especially the shower door. Frame separated within 6 months...the brown bead line is an epoxy reinforced with sawdust, quarter round secured with same.

Bob
Hi, my shower door SHUB was also installed with two sided tape. I repaired that too. First the wall and the shower assembly overlapped so the surface wasn't flat/square. I had to file the plastic shower piece flat with the wooden partition. Then I use the black two sided tape, same as used for automotive body side mouldings. [much better]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 06-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I think Airstream should put a sign at the top of the front door that says 'Be sure not to bang your head up here when entering' ...!! lol
Old 06-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I wish there were more floorplan options, especially with the 25 - 27' Flying Cloud.

Airstream seems to think these trailers are owned by one big happy family. Not! Quite a few are owned by workaholic and/or divorced/widowed/retired singletons. They are a growing segment of RV ownership.

I do not need a six-person sleeping capacity. What I need is comfortable seating for 1 - 2 and a computer-work station.

What I would like to see is a smaller dinette table with two swivel recliners or free-standing wing chairs on each side. The table would be adjustable in height; would lower for a middle coffee/utility table and rise for a dining table. The lounge along the side is generally useless. I would like to see a shorter lounge with a computer table in the corner (where the TV is).

Am seriously considering remodelling the Fan as/above.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
I wish there were more floorplan options, especially with the 25 - 27' Flying Cloud.

Airstream seems to think these trailers are owned by one big happy family. Not! Quite a few are owned by workaholic and/or divorced/widowed singletons. They are a growing segment of RV ownership.

I do not need a six-person sleeping capacity. What I need is comfortable seating for 1 - 2 and a computer-work station.

What I would like to see is a smaller dinette table with two swivel recliners or free-standing wing chairs on each side. The table would be adjustable in height; would lower for a middle coffee/utility table and rise for a dining table. The lounge along the side is generally useless. I would like to see a shorter lounge with a computer table in the corner (where the TV is).

Am seriously considering remodelling the Fan as/above.
Miserable simpletons? well that would account for so many of the comments here on Forums of late. Oh, singletons. Well, never mind!
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Miserable simpletons? well that would account for so many of the comments here on Forums of late. Oh, singletons. Well, never mind!
That too!

Sorry.....I changed "miserable singletons" to "workaholic..." etc. lol!
Old 06-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Hey FAN

no fair editing your post to make my lame humor obsolete before it gets posted lol

and miserable singletons was such a nice turn of phrase

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Hey FAN

no fair editing your post to make my lame humor obsolete before it gets posted lol

and miserable singletons was such a nice turn of phrase

Dana
Sorry Dana. I am a compulsive editor. Fingers keyboard faster than the brain. I probably drive the mods crazy.

But I kinda like "miserable singletons" too.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Hey Dana!...I just noticed you're a journalist. The editor of the rag I write for automatically deletes my first....second....and third article via email because he knows me rather well. lol!

It's all about the rewrite, si?