Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: What 'll be your best gift from FRANCE ?
A bottle of a famous red wine . 4 57.14%
a bottle of champagne. 2 28.57%
another gift to specify 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Airstream member wedding and advice...

Hi the community;

Just to share with you the marvelous and incredible story of my Wedding at Daytona on the 8th March 'o7.
Sure you 'll like that; just click english button on the high left to get informations in your language. You'llnot be disapointed at all.

http://american-dream-in-france.blogspot.com/

So after reading that ,I need your advice because I have to thank people who help me to get married; I wonder if american s like you, prefer, as a gift, a famous red french wine or Champagne bottle . If you have another idea as gift , tell me.

Thank you by advance.

Bruno.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2780.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	34082  
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Thumbs up

Hi Bruno,

Congradulations on your recent wedding. Looks and sounds like it was a fantastic trip! may your marriage be richly blessed

Ride on....

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Bruno,

Congratulations to you and best wishes to your bride!

As always, I enjoy reading your travel blog. Sometimes in english, sometimes in translation. I burst out laughing while reading "With Long Wrinkles".

The caption of Grand Teton National Park picture is translated (fairly accurately) as "Large National Nipple Park".

Thanks for the day brightener!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:36 PM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Interesting question... So here's my opinion:

I would rather not have wine or champagne, although i adore both. We can buy a lot of excellent French wines in the US as well as great wines form NAPA and WA state and you may run into import difficulties with alcohol.

It might be interesting to send great French music. Many discs released in the EU are not available in the US. They are easy to mail as well. If you want to send alcohol, consider something like Calvados. Only 2 or 3 brands are imported to the US and there are many small brewers in Normandy that make excellent products. Send something that is not available in the US. Good chocolates, would be nice... US chocolate is generally horrible.

If your friends are race fans how about some French racing branded clothing? Shirts with racing logos, etc. They are probably as interested in French culture as you are interested in American culture.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Congrats again Bruno! Janet is right in that good French wines are readily available here. I buy a California methode champenoise Chandon if I'm celebrating. I read this post two hours ago and Calvados was one suggestion that came to me -- good one Janet. It would go great if you also sent a recipe for clafoutis to accompany it! (or I could send you mine ) Americans just have no appreciation for pastis...

Another thought is some nice milled soap bars. Or maybe miel de la lavande or châtaignier (though the latter is usually from Italy these days). Tilleul is very common for honeys over here -- but herb tea drinkers don't know how good l'infusion de tilleul can be.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:18 AM   #6
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Interesting question... So here's my opinion:

I would rather not have wine or champagne, although i adore both. We can buy a lot of excellent French wines in the US as well as great wines form NAPA and WA state and you may run into import difficulties with alcohol.

It might be interesting to send great French music. Many discs released in the EU are not available in the US. They are easy to mail as well. If you want to send alcohol, consider something like Calvados. Only 2 or 3 brands are imported to the US and there are many small brewers in Normandy that make excellent products. Send something that is not available in the US. Good chocolates, would be nice... US chocolate is generally horrible.

If your friends are race fans how about some French racing branded clothing? Shirts with racing logos, etc. They are probably as interested in French culture as you are interested in American culture.
Hi janet;
I've well noted the music and the "calvados" as good ideas; i'm a bit surprised that french champagne is not your best choice; I know that your wines have really good and you can find french wines in all America.
May be specific alcohols as "cognac" or "geniévre", "eau de vie" ...
Why not.

I'm waiting other opinions from more members.

Thank you for the congratulations... I hope my wedding story pleased you as it was incredible for us when nothing , like that ,was planned by advance.
Sorry for the translation in english; hopefully the pictures are in the same language for all of us.

Bruno.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
hi there;

No more opinions ?
Some friends advice me books about FRANCE, great pictures or history; Why not ?

Bruno.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Bruno congratulations to you and the pretty new Mrs!! Give what you would like to receive and they will appreciate the gesture.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:33 PM   #9
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Congratulations to the both of you. Long may you be happy together. Giving what you would like to receive is a great idea and I can't see how you could go wrong.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:40 PM   #10
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Congratulations Bruno! I think a book about France is a lovely idea. I know that when I travel, I like to bring home a history or coffee table book about my destination, and I love receiving books as gifts. Of course, chocolate is always in good taste.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:46 AM   #11
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Not too many replies in the votes... only 5 at this moment.
Sure this thread is out of topics , not really airstream... but airstream member life nevertheless.
For members that interested in the question, my way to thank my 2 witnesses and the harley Davidson big boss ( Willie G Davidson ), i think to send each one, a bottle of "cognac" or " armagnac" as fine alcohol , that you don't drink in one day....
Not better ideas as unusual and valuable gifts from FRANCE.

bruno
Old 03-24-2007, 05:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Being a major Cognac fan myself I vote you send Cognac to each of the folks who posted a reply. Those who don't like Cognac can send it to me... I'll send you my Fed-Ex account number to make it easy...

I voted for fine red wine .... as did so many who took your poll.

Congratulations to you and your new wife... she certainly is a "keeper."
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:22 AM   #13
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
thee choice :

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Being a major Cognac fan myself I vote you send Cognac to each of the folks who posted a reply. Those who don't like Cognac can send it to me... I'll send you my Fed-Ex account number to make it easy...

I voted for fine red wine .... as did so many who took your poll.

Congratulations to you and your new wife... she certainly is a "keeper."
Thank you for all the advices and I have kept them in mind; No champagne and I think GlenCoombe is a good choice; unusual and great class too;
We have decided to send to our two wedding witnesses and to Willi G DAVIDSON, a VSOP cognac bottle ( I hope US customs shut their eyes on these gifts.... );
For one witness, we add some french CDs and a stylism book in french ( she is stylist at Harley, Milwaukee for leather wears ).
If the presents arrive in good shape, I think they will be surprised and not disapointed at all.

Bruno.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:11 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
congratulations! you are a beautiful couple. may you have a long and happy marriage!
airstreamers is offline   Reply With Quote