Old 06-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
It looks good in white.

The SUV out in front isn't doing the aerodynamics of the trailer any favours.

A for a 2600 lb trailer it must have a lot of tongue weight, looking at the way the TV is sitting.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:47 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
WD hitch would correct that...

AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:44 AM   #31
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
It's the 52 cases of diet soda in the back of the t.v....
Old 06-08-2008, 09:08 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
so if the plastic in vintage airstreams cracks so frequently, how do you think all that plastic will? I know plastics have advanced in the past years, but I am doubtful of the longevity.
The interior is much like what in the boating industry is known as a pan interior. A molded shell/Pan is installed inside the hull with all the cabinets, closets, seats, and so on formed. Easier and cheaper than an AS interior, of course it will not fit through the door. They hold up well on boats and are found mostly in the medium to cheap boats, speaking of sailboats here as I know nothing about power boats.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:53 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Vandervoort , Arkansas
Hello ! We looked at Casita before we got a Oliver last November. I guess that the diferent insulation packages and the ability to custom order from the manufacturer, made us decide to go with the Oliver.
We wanted a trailer that was light enough to pull with a V6 engine Jeep Wrangler. One thing we wanted was to be able to get into rougher terrain, like the jeep trail system out in Colorado. We leave for Ouray, Co the last week of this month.
We have pulled the Oliver with the tongue all of the way in and all of the way out. The tongue is adjusted and locked in place torqued down binding system and has absolutely no movement . We currently have the tongue all of the way out and have a 3000 watt Yamaha generator mounted on it. Extending the tongue out compensates for the additional weight on it. So the Jeep rides level and tows marvelously ! Solar panels in the future, we love the gen set, but prefer the quiet solar idea.
Here is how it looks:
mountainborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Vandervoort , Arkansas
Oh, I almost forgot ! One of the things that came to mind when choosing an all fiberglass TT, was that should we get some trail damage from going to those remote places that we just love so, we would have the option of making quality repairs ourselves, at home in the garage. Repairs with commonly available supplies that are available localy was attractive to us.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Vandervoort , Arkansas
Someone mentioned in an earlier post that with the Oliver there was so much white. He, He, here is the Jeep and the TT near Christmas Arizona up in the Pinal Mountains. Dusty mountain trails and the angle of the sun seem to reduce the "white" effect somewhat ? In this photo the tongue is extended and the generator is off.

Here is a look at how the trailer and Jeep sit with out the generator on, and the tongue not extended. Photo was taken in Columbia Tennessee:

We didn't want to mess with a weight distrubiting hitch or a sway bar system and not having to use either of them was a contributing factor also when we decided to buy an Oliver. We have never felt that we might need them as it tows so well. Out in West Texas where I 10 and I 20 come togather the posted speed limit is 80 MPH and we felt that if sway was ever going to be an issue it would show up at those speeds. We never had a problem with anything except our gas mileage sure suffered at those speeds, it dropped down to nearly foruteem miles per gallon.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:58 PM   #36
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Gotta admit, the exterior has charm, and looks fairly aerodynamic.

Do you have any shots of the interior?
Old 06-11-2008, 12:17 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Gotta admit, the exterior has charm, and looks fairly aerodynamic.

Do you have any shots of the interior?
Here's a link that has pictures of the interior. Copy of Campers Vegas 021 | Oliver Travel Trailers

It does have charm...and I can see why some think it's a "look-alike" for and AS...but not so much in my opinion...
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #38
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
No, not a look-alike for an A/S in my book either, but quite compact and complete. I bit too claustrophobic for me.

That vertical chrome bar: what is its purpose? It reminds me of a city bus.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #39
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Okay, I have been following this thread... Are you all high? That is a pile of plastic on an aluminum frame. What is so similar to an Airstream? Oh, I see now, it is a travel trailer, oh, it is on wheels.... common. Sorry, my not so humble opinion....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #40
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
AND... the thread started "Better than"....
Old 06-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #41
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
and I only said what many are afraid to say.... I will take the infraction like a man.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:19 PM   #42
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Mountainborn, I certainly appreciate the pics and the experience. I'm also one who disagrees about the lack of anti-sway control. A 3,500-lb GVWR trailer can certainly generate enough force to whip that rig right off the road.

I'd like to recommend a set of scale weights of your different configurations to establish some parameters.

Travel Trailer Weight Calculator

All it takes is once . . swerving to another lane to avoid something, and over she goes.

A nice little Equalizer hitch or other isn't cost prohibitive, and the weight-distribution and anti-sway characteristics lend a huge margin to "best practice" towing.

I can easily tow my trailer w/o a WDH or anti-sway, and have. I can also set it quickly on it's side if I decide to. With a premium hitch, I literally can't at up to a speed of 50 mph (beyond which I haven't done any violent testing.)

Sure is a slick rig. Buddy of mine has been cranking out the miles on his new Jeep (same as yours) and I'm really impressed with how stout and how quiet it is. I'm going to bookmark this so to get his attention. I like that rig!

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote