Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #41
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
and I only said what many are afraid to say.... I will take the infraction like a man.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #42
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Mountainborn, I certainly appreciate the pics and the experience. I'm also one who disagrees about the lack of anti-sway control. A 3,500-lb GVWR trailer can certainly generate enough force to whip that rig right off the road.

I'd like to recommend a set of scale weights of your different configurations to establish some parameters.

Travel Trailer Weight Calculator

All it takes is once . . swerving to another lane to avoid something, and over she goes.

A nice little Equalizer hitch or other isn't cost prohibitive, and the weight-distribution and anti-sway characteristics lend a huge margin to "best practice" towing.

I can easily tow my trailer w/o a WDH or anti-sway, and have. I can also set it quickly on it's side if I decide to. With a premium hitch, I literally can't at up to a speed of 50 mph (beyond which I haven't done any violent testing.)

Sure is a slick rig. Buddy of mine has been cranking out the miles on his new Jeep (same as yours) and I'm really impressed with how stout and how quiet it is. I'm going to bookmark this so to get his attention. I like that rig!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:09 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
AND... the thread started "Better than"....
Quote:
and I only said what many are afraid to say.... I will take the infraction like a man.
I repeat, Festool vs Harbor Freight.

Oh never mind, that was another thread...sorry...
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:19 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
I think for the price of this new.... I would still choose ... the same amount spent on a vintage Airstream NO QUESTION! I don't see how this could last over 10 years.

https://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
My little Casita, also fiberglass, just turned ten-years old last month, and is still going strong. And has been through ten times as much abuse as my airstream. That works out to about $610/year in terms of purchase price. Let's see, the airstream is currently two years old at $14,400 per year, in terms of purchase price. The airstream has never been off pavement, because it can't go off pavement, whereas the Casita can go anywhere I can pull it.

The combination of Jeep and Oliver looks perfect for what the owner wants to use it for. I'm really impressed by the ground clearance he has.
jdthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:10 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
I think it is a neat looking camper. Looks like a good option for budget minded people...........as we all should be
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
I think the the assthetics are ruined by the AC and bubble on the roof. They are to big in proportion. JMTCW

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:48 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
I have to chime in - I think it's really cute. I like the red paint job I must admit. If it came in Creamsicle Orange I think I'd have to strong-arm someone in my family to buy one ('cause I'm not giving up my AS).

I'm trying to get my sister into getting a trailer. She enjoys camping, has moved "beyond the tent" but doesn't want to spend a ton of $ on a trailer, nor does she want to blow more $ upgrading from the SUV she's already got.

Something like this might attract someone like her, as well as people who can't stomach the thought of a white, boxy trailer with stickers of bears and eagles plastered on the outside...
Old 01-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
The hot rod community have really taken to the older fiberglass trailers. Most made in the seventies and a few in the eighties and nineties, but primarily the seventies. Boler, Trillium, Bigfoot (the small lightweight ones), Beachcomber to name a few. The 15' and smaller are easily towed behind a 33 Chev as an example (see picture), they are not cheap but not expensive either, and are easily rebuilt inside like any vintage Airstream.

We towed a 17' Boler for years and enjoyed it but it was no Airstream.

These trailers are not without their problems. Floor rot still happens for those with wood encased in the fiberglass. Unless the unit is purpose built for a roof A/C they crack. Fiberglass deteriorates over time. The frames rust just like any other trailer (although none of my list are aluminum framed). They are lighter than white boxes but not by much - you'd be surprised at how heavy many of them really are when taken over the scales, and doors start to sag, insulation can be a problem and sags over time, the older they get the less cold weather friendly they are. There is a reason Corvettes are mostly fair weather cars. So, as a long time former owner would I recommend one to a friend? Yes, but with the same caveats I do with anything else - they are just as hyped as any other rig that the owners love to promote, they are not way lighter, they do deteriorate, they do keep their value for the small TV crowd, yes repairs can be accomplished by any fiberglass shop is true but that does not necessarily mean the quality of the work is equal to how it was made at the factory. To each their own but we are glad we moved on. If the right deal came along on a small used glass trailer we might stick it in stock but not really excited about getting one. For many of our hot rod buddies though they are the ideal trailer, are easily painted to match their desires, but they sure do like to check out the Bambi's when they see them.
There is one being made in Chilliwack, BC called the Excel that is similar to the Oliver and the price is reasonable but not cheap and IMHO the value is not equivalent to an Airstream, even a vintage restored rig. I've got a buddy hot to trot to buy one and we are nervous for him because having owned a glass trailer we know they are not perfect and the light weight answer to the world as he has allowed himself to believe.
Barry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM6087.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	73240   Click image for larger version

Name:	118_1894.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	73241  

Click image for larger version

Name:	118_1895.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	73242   Click image for larger version

Name:	115_1576.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	73243  

Old 01-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #50
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post

There is one being made in Chilliwack, BC called the Excel that is similar to the Oliver and the price is reasonable but not cheap and IMHO the value is not equivalent to an Airstream, even a vintage restored rig. I've got a buddy hot to trot to buy one and we are nervous for him because having owned a glass trailer we know they are not perfect and the light weight answer to the world as he has allowed himself to believe.
Barry
Barry, Excel is the Microsoft Office spreadsheet. The trailer built in Chilliwack is called the Escape, and is actually one of the nicest FG trailers out there currently in production. Certainly Reese, the owner, is one of the most ethical manufacturers in business. Fiberglass, when properly mixed and laid up, lasts pretty much for-ever as evidenced by the fiberglass sailboats from the '60s still afloat in marinas around the world.

Wood floors do rot, and they still have windows and other thru-hulls to seal, but glass does have its own set of benefits. One biggie is that they don't dent, and are easily repaired when broken.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:35 PM   #51

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
On the oliver website they have a forums, and there is a thread with some pre-production pictures of the 21ft model. Neat to see how it goes together. I have to say I am intrigued by a trailer without so many seams to leak, and floors to rot. As much as I love the Caravel, it is far from perfect, and if I did want to upgrade in size I would be hesitant to ever get another AS and go through the same work (or worse) again.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:25 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
I contacted the manufacturer after I saw this thread in June. The prices at that time had increased to the $27,000-to-$32,000 range. I'll stick with vintage Airstream, Argosy, Avion, and Spartan.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:47 AM   #53
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
There was another thread called "Casita v. Oliver v. Airstream" back in June that you might find interesting, and in post 18 of that thread, a couple of links to other threads that compare Airstream and fiberglass trailers that you may also find informative.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #54
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Is the Oliver painted or gel coat?

I maintain my Airstream and a 13' Scamp of the same age (same location). I'm noticing the Scamp is taking quite a bit of polishing each month to remove the black streaks from the gelcoat and keep the gloss up. On the Airstream the streaks simply wipe off-the finish seems harder and much more resistant to fallout. I keep the roofs clean monthly on both trailers. For all the talk of the Airstream's corrosion issues-at 4 years old the Airstream exterior has been a lot easier to keep up on a per foot basis.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Ecellent question~!! it's gel coated..
Here's the link to their forum site for the gel coating info and, the proper care of same.
http://oliverforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=689
I thought it was painted at first..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #56

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
I keep the roofs clean monthly on both trailers. For all the talk of the Airstream's corrosion issues-at 4 years old the Airstream exterior has been a lot easier to keep up on a per foot basis.
At four years I would certainly hope BOTH would be fairly low-maintenance!

No doubt all trailers have their ups and down. I showed my hubby the pics of the interior of the Oliver, he said it looked like the set of a 70's space station with all that white plastic

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #57
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post

No doubt all trailers have their ups and down. I showed my hubby the pics of the interior of the Oliver, he said it looked like the set of a 70's space station with all that white plastic
Maybe the quality of gelcoat is variable... But stored in so. CA I need to polish (decently hard rubbing) the upper half of the Scamp monthly. If the black streaks aren't removed, they eventually etch a dull line into the gelcoat which takes a lot of extra polishing. I have found the finish to be much less durable from a gloss standpoint than automotive paint.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post

So? the dog is not the only "pointed ears" member in the family??
I couldn't help myself..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
Barry, Excel is the Microsoft Office spreadsheet. The trailer built in Chilliwack is called the Escape, and is actually one of the nicest FG trailers out there currently in production. Certainly Reese, the owner, is one of the most ethical manufacturers in business. Fiberglass, when properly mixed and laid up, lasts pretty much for-ever as evidenced by the fiberglass sailboats from the '60s still afloat in marinas around the world.

Wood floors do rot, and they still have windows and other thru-hulls to seal, but glass does have its own set of benefits. One biggie is that they don't dent, and are easily repaired when broken.

Roger
You are correct Roger, Escape is the name that "escaped" me and I don't know why I always think Excel when they come to mind.

Barry
Old 01-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #60
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
Is it just me, or does that thing come with a stripper's pole?
I once had a Scamp 19' gooseneck that was much the same construction. I stopped by the factory to have a brace installed from the counter up to the overhead to better support the weight of the AC unit. The brace became standard in later units. Looks to me like this "stripper's pole" is performing the same function. An unbraced fiberglass shell will sag under the constant weight of the AC unit plus the impact loads going down the road.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote