Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2008, 07:34 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Way too much plastic for me (including the inside). I will keep my old girl
Old 06-07-2008, 08:29 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up My thoughts..

Interesting, it seems (correct me if I am wrong) as if no one picked up on the aluminum frame. Sure it's plastic(yuck) but..I am looking at it from outside the A/S box. Picking it apart for ideas that could be added to the A/S concept.
I like the running night lights along the edge. Anyone else find anything that caught your eyes that you thought might be nice to have in your unit?
How abt that 3 way frig?..
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:39 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Terry, The specs also say you need an electronic brake controller for the tow vehicle, so the brakes must be electric, not surge. The tongue extention is to adjust the hitch weight. Also, it would be handy to allow a little more distance between the tow vehicle and trailer jack. A couple of my trailers have been too close-coupled and I could not open the tailgate of the pickup. This appears to be a well-thought-out trailer. The interior would probably be more inviting with an off-white, less glossy finish. I like the 3-point leveling system. Looks like you could use the leveling jacks to change tires, too. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
I like the dump valve area with the faucet! However, It is a bit much molded plastic on the inside. Probably easy to clean but lacking in visual interest. Although the stripper pole adds its own kind of "interest." Something about it reminds me of the inside of a boat. I don't see any access panels to get behind things if you needed to repair anything- I bet you have to take it to a dealer for any repairs. Cool- but I will stick to vintage aluminum!
Old 06-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I like my Olivers in Green
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	359-B.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	61936  
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin View Post
Can I get it in Orange?
Yes, but I think they call it a Kubota.
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #27
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
so if the plastic in vintage airstreams cracks so frequently, how do you think all that plastic will? I know plastics have advanced in the past years, but I am doubtful of the longevity.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Most of the "plastic" that cracked in older Airstreams was vacuum formed ABS plastic. The fiberglas components such as the Caravel shower pans, Safari and Tradewind tubs, and most shower stalls were quite durable and if they were not abused are still in good shape. The ABS was prone to untraviolet deterioration which caused discoloring and cracking due to the butyl ("B" in ABS) migrating out leaving the acrylic("A") and styrene ("S") which are by nature quite brittle. ABS plastics of the 60's and 70's had outdoor rating of 3 to 5 years depending on exposure. Interior parts lasted much longer. Today's fiberglass is much more durable than that of the 60's and 70's as is noted at any marina. Of course it still takes some maintenance if left outdoors. Most of us who take good care of our Airstreams (like inside storage and waxing) should not be afraid of fiberglass. I'm certainly not rushing out to buy an Oliver, but I've sent for their information and will study it carefully. Compared to the Airstream 17' Safari Sport, price alone makes the Oliver something to think about. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:22 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
It looks good in white.

The SUV out in front isn't doing the aerodynamics of the trailer any favours.

A for a 2600 lb trailer it must have a lot of tongue weight, looking at the way the TV is sitting.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:47 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
WD hitch would correct that...
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:44 AM   #31
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It's the 52 cases of diet soda in the back of the t.v....
Old 06-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
so if the plastic in vintage airstreams cracks so frequently, how do you think all that plastic will? I know plastics have advanced in the past years, but I am doubtful of the longevity.
The interior is much like what in the boating industry is known as a pan interior. A molded shell/Pan is installed inside the hull with all the cabinets, closets, seats, and so on formed. Easier and cheaper than an AS interior, of course it will not fit through the door. They hold up well on boats and are found mostly in the medium to cheap boats, speaking of sailboats here as I know nothing about power boats.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Vandervoort , Arkansas
Hello ! We looked at Casita before we got a Oliver last November. I guess that the diferent insulation packages and the ability to custom order from the manufacturer, made us decide to go with the Oliver.
We wanted a trailer that was light enough to pull with a V6 engine Jeep Wrangler. One thing we wanted was to be able to get into rougher terrain, like the jeep trail system out in Colorado. We leave for Ouray, Co the last week of this month.
We have pulled the Oliver with the tongue all of the way in and all of the way out. The tongue is adjusted and locked in place torqued down binding system and has absolutely no movement . We currently have the tongue all of the way out and have a 3000 watt Yamaha generator mounted on it. Extending the tongue out compensates for the additional weight on it. So the Jeep rides level and tows marvelously ! Solar panels in the future, we love the gen set, but prefer the quiet solar idea.
Here is how it looks:
mountainborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Vandervoort , Arkansas
Oh, I almost forgot ! One of the things that came to mind when choosing an all fiberglass TT, was that should we get some trail damage from going to those remote places that we just love so, we would have the option of making quality repairs ourselves, at home in the garage. Repairs with commonly available supplies that are available localy was attractive to us.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:51 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Vandervoort , Arkansas
Someone mentioned in an earlier post that with the Oliver there was so much white. He, He, here is the Jeep and the TT near Christmas Arizona up in the Pinal Mountains. Dusty mountain trails and the angle of the sun seem to reduce the "white" effect somewhat ? In this photo the tongue is extended and the generator is off.

Here is a look at how the trailer and Jeep sit with out the generator on, and the tongue not extended. Photo was taken in Columbia Tennessee:

We didn't want to mess with a weight distrubiting hitch or a sway bar system and not having to use either of them was a contributing factor also when we decided to buy an Oliver. We have never felt that we might need them as it tows so well. Out in West Texas where I 10 and I 20 come togather the posted speed limit is 80 MPH and we felt that if sway was ever going to be an issue it would show up at those speeds. We never had a problem with anything except our gas mileage sure suffered at those speeds, it dropped down to nearly foruteem miles per gallon.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:58 PM   #36
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Gotta admit, the exterior has charm, and looks fairly aerodynamic.

Do you have any shots of the interior?
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:17 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Gotta admit, the exterior has charm, and looks fairly aerodynamic.

Do you have any shots of the interior?
Here's a link that has pictures of the interior. Copy of Campers Vegas 021 | Oliver Travel Trailers

It does have charm...and I can see why some think it's a "look-alike" for and AS...but not so much in my opinion...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #38
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
No, not a look-alike for an A/S in my book either, but quite compact and complete. I bit too claustrophobic for me.

That vertical chrome bar: what is its purpose? It reminds me of a city bus.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:33 PM   #39
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Okay, I have been following this thread... Are you all high? That is a pile of plastic on an aluminum frame. What is so similar to an Airstream? Oh, I see now, it is a travel trailer, oh, it is on wheels.... common. Sorry, my not so humble opinion....
Old 06-11-2008, 05:33 PM   #40
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
AND... the thread started "Better than"....