Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-16-2019, 06:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Chicora , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 51
Airstream Ė Living on itís past?

A couple of things I must state right off the top.

1) Iím relatively new to the Airstream community. We bought our airstream used at in December 2018, it is a 2016 Flying Cloud..
2) I also have a Lance 2017 model 1985, that I will be selling after I get it home and cleaned up.

That said, I believe Iím in a position to offer my opinion on a few topics relative to both.
1) The Airstream, while quite unique has not entirely kept up with the others that are starting to lead the industry. (Artic Fox/Lance) These units are certified four season. (Fact Ė not my opinion)
2) The Airstream does not carry this certification. (Fact Ė not my opinion)
3) The Airstream uses a number of the same suppliers as Lance /Artic Fox, (Again, Fact, not my opinion)
4) The Lance has a ladder, either standard or optional capable of carrying bicycles using a very inexpensive rack. (Fact)
5) The Airstream has one supplier of bicycle racks. (I think this is fact, Iím not positive) This one supplier has found it okay to overcharge for its corner on the market. (My opinion)
6) I bought my Airstream used and my Lance new. Both have/ continue to have problems that I consider minor. I am relatively handy and fix most problems myself. I consider this fact since Iíve never taken either to a dealer to have work performed.

So here goes with my opinion:

The Airstream has a few simple (My opinion) things Airstream could do to improve live ability and improve its market share.
1) Make a rear ladder standard so the roof could be accessed safely.
2) Make the ladder strong enough to support a couple of bicycles or better yet, make the frame strong enough to allow it to support a standard Reese mounted bike rack.
3) Start usin blown in foam insulation instead of insulation that can carry twice its weight in water.
4) Iím not going to suggest Airstream lower prices because I do not know what their production costs are. Plus, my selfish side does not want my current Airstream to drastically decrease in value.
What are your thoughts/opinions?
Jerry
__________________

__________________
WBAC #1341
Totlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
AlinCal's Avatar
 
1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,058
Please, please do not put a ladder on my Airstream. Seriously?
__________________

__________________
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Will Rogers

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:46 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
Acheron2010's Avatar
 
2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 365
I'd trade a roof full of those flexible solar panels for a ladder any time. Lance might be the ugliest 4-season trailer out there (Fact and Opinion). Put the bikes in the trailer on front fork pedestals.
__________________
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500
2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 26RBQ
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:03 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,402
Fact! Maybe an Airstream wasn't for you.

There's a reason Airstreams don't have ladders........the roof isn't strong enough between the ribs to support a human without seriously denting it. Can you imagine how many threads on this forum would start with the line "So, I climbed the ladder and put a huge dent in my end cap panel; I'm suing Airstream!"

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
__________________
Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:22 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 499
I, and most others that own Airstreams, don't camp in the winter unless it is in a warm climate. No need for 4 season insulation for me. So, no need for a certificate!! There are only so many suppliers of RV product, so as always there will be lots of crossover of things like stoves etc. If you know anything about Airstreams, you will know that they are not meant to have much of anything on the roof. Their construction is like an aircraft, and is not designed for roof use. No need for a ladder if nothing should be put up there!! Since there is only one "Airstream" and hundreds of other box brands, there is likely not a lot of suppliers that are going to invest in developement of bicycle racks for a single customer. You should look into the construction of the Airstream vs the box trailers to determine why Airstream uses what it does for insulation etc. Box trailers don't use the shell as part of the overall structure system like an Airstream does. Box trailers build on the frame and the frame holds the box. I will take my Airstream every day over a "box", and will be very pleased at the way it holds it's value over a shook to bits box that is worth nothing after 20 years. JMHO after owning several trailers including a "box", and 4 Airstreams.
__________________
WBCCI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:39 PM   #6
Well Preserved
 
overlander63's Avatar

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totlh View Post
A couple of things I must state right off the top.

1) Iím relatively new to the Airstream community. We bought our airstream used at in December 2018, it is a 2016 Flying Cloud..
2) I also have a Lance 2017 model 1985, that I will be selling after I get it home and cleaned up.

That said, I believe Iím in a position to offer my opinion on a few topics relative to both.
1) The Airstream, while quite unique has not entirely kept up with the others that are starting to lead the industry. (Artic Fox/Lance) These units are certified four season. (Fact Ė not my opinion)
2) The Airstream does not carry this certification. (Fact Ė not my opinion)
3) The Airstream uses a number of the same suppliers as Lance /Artic Fox, (Again, Fact, not my opinion)
4) The Lance has a ladder, either standard or optional capable of carrying bicycles using a very inexpensive rack. (Fact)
5) The Airstream has one supplier of bicycle racks. (I think this is fact, Iím not positive) This one supplier has found it okay to overcharge for its corner on the market. (My opinion)
6) I bought my Airstream used and my Lance new. Both have/ continue to have problems that I consider minor. I am relatively handy and fix most problems myself. I consider this fact since Iíve never taken either to a dealer to have work performed.

So here goes with my opinion:

The Airstream has a few simple (My opinion) things Airstream could do to improve live ability and improve its market share.
1) Make a rear ladder standard so the roof could be accessed safely.
2) Make the ladder strong enough to support a couple of bicycles or better yet, make the frame strong enough to allow it to support a standard Reese mounted bike rack.
3) Start usin blown in foam insulation instead of insulation that can carry twice its weight in water.
4) Iím not going to suggest Airstream lower prices because I do not know what their production costs are. Plus, my selfish side does not want my current Airstream to drastically decrease in value.
What are your thoughts/opinions?
Jerry
You know what they say about opinions.
1) NEVER put ANYTHING on the roof of an Airstream--EVER. Since you will not be placing anything on the roof, there is no need for a ladder. Period.
2) See #1. No ladder= don't put bicycles on it. Airstreams are not meant to have heavy-duty frames. The strength is in the body shell.

3) Airstreams are meant to flex while moving, and the inner and outer shell move independently of each other. Foam insulation will get ground to powder in short order.
4) Everyone keeps demanding more and more "stuff" included with their RVs. That "stuff" costs money. If you want it to cost less, stop demanding more and more expensive "stuff" to be built into them.


And those are my thoughts/opinions.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Mansderm161's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
You know what they say about opinions.
1) NEVER put ANYTHING on the roof of an Airstream--EVER. Since you will not be placing anything on the roof, there is no need for a ladder. Period.
2) See #1. No ladder= don't put bicycles on it. Airstreams are not meant to have heavy-duty frames. The strength is in the body shell.

3) Airstreams are meant to flex while moving, and the inner and outer shell move independently of each other. Foam insulation will get ground to powder in short order.
4) Everyone keeps demanding more and more "stuff" included with their RVs. That "stuff" costs money. If you want it to cost less, stop demanding more and more expensive "stuff" to be built into them.


And those are my thoughts/opinions.
I had to laugh about the ladder since I have the Interstate. One of the first things I commented on when shopping was "how am I supposed to check the stuff on the roof without a ladder?" Their comment..."you aren't supposed to be on the roof. Only people who know exactly what they are doing should be on the roof!" I couldn't argue with that but what if I really did know what I was doing? Comments like that only make me more driven to know what I'm doing and I'll be watching them to see if they know what they are doing!
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:58 PM   #8
Overland Adventurer
 
AtomicNo13's Avatar
 
1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,326
I think we can all agree, Airstreams need a more effective insulation solution.... They're hot, they're cold, requiring lots of energy to heat and cool. There are more effective solutions over fiberglass and whatever the new stuff is. Besides that, Airstream has lots of naturally forming water between the skins. It is absorbed and stored in the current insulation.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
wulfraat's Avatar
 
2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,580
Images: 1
Fact - Lance Trailerís are made from styrofoam and are glued together. Yikes!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0530.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	333764  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:09 PM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master
 
PKI's Avatar
 
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,181
No roof ladder, please, and no bike rack either. Insulation? Surely you jest. The whole point is to get down the road to places where such is not required. The price for that pleasure is the responsibility of keeping the water out and the fun in. Yes, living on it's past, present and future. It's all about living with the smiles that shinys generate at every opportunity.

Travel safe and enjoy the adventure. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 860
Why did you buy the Airstream if it lacks the features you want? It sounds like your Lance fulfills your needs fully.

Tim

PS After 17 years of ownership, we still love our Airstream. No Lance for us.
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:32 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Chicora , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 51
Fair enough.

We really like the Airstream. I have been on the roof, walked where I was supposed to. No dents. I did it for two reasons, one was to scrub the mold off and inspect the roof sealant The second was to lube a fan motor on an AC unit that was squeaking as it coasted down.

Thanks everyone for your opinion.
Safe travels.
Jerry
__________________
WBAC #1341
Totlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:35 AM   #13
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,847
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totlh View Post
A couple of things I must state right off the top.

1) Iím relatively new to the Airstream community. We bought our airstream used at in December 2018, it is a 2016 Flying Cloud..
2) I also have a Lance 2017 model 1985, that I will be selling after I get it home and cleaned up.

That said, I believe Iím in a position to offer my opinion on a few topics relative to both.
1) The Airstream, while quite unique has not entirely kept up with the others that are starting to lead the industry. (Artic Fox/Lance) These units are certified four season. (Fact Ė not my opinion)
2) The Airstream does not carry this certification. (Fact Ė not my opinion)
3) The Airstream uses a number of the same suppliers as Lance /Artic Fox, (Again, Fact, not my opinion)
4) The Lance has a ladder, either standard or optional capable of carrying bicycles using a very inexpensive rack. (Fact)
5) The Airstream has one supplier of bicycle racks. (I think this is fact, Iím not positive) This one supplier has found it okay to overcharge for its corner on the market. (My opinion)
6) I bought my Airstream used and my Lance new. Both have/ continue to have problems that I consider minor. I am relatively handy and fix most problems myself. I consider this fact since Iíve never taken either to a dealer to have work performed.

So here goes with my opinion:

The Airstream has a few simple (My opinion) things Airstream could do to improve live ability and improve its market share.
1) Make a rear ladder standard so the roof could be accessed safely.
2) Make the ladder strong enough to support a couple of bicycles or better yet, make the frame strong enough to allow it to support a standard Reese mounted bike rack.
3) Start usin blown in foam insulation instead of insulation that can carry twice its weight in water.
4) Iím not going to suggest Airstream lower prices because I do not know what their production costs are. Plus, my selfish side does not want my current Airstream to drastically decrease in value.
What are your thoughts/opinions?
Jerry
Airstreams owners sure have changed in the last twenty years! More than the trailers have.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:58 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member
 
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Chicora , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvr View Post
Airstreams owners sure have changed in the last twenty years! More than the trailers have.
Exactly! THis one statement pretty much sums up my point. However, it is not just the owners. The industry is changing.

I found it interesting that when similar posts were made on the Lance forum, the response was about the same. Except, the responses favored the Lance.

I beleive both have their good points and areas where they could improve.

Different brands/features for different people.

I have a long list of reasons why I switched to an Airstream. However the point I was trying to make is that there are areas where Airstream could improve. You may not like my suggestions. I'm okay with that. However, please keep an open mind. I bet, if you thought about it for a bit, you too could come up with areas where Airstream could improve their product.

Much of this Forum is about fixing, troubleshooting, modifying and just making each Airstream fit its owner a bit better.

Thanks for reading.
Jerry
__________________

__________________
WBAC #1341
Totlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1975 airstream sleeps 4 all original inside & out side a blast from the past eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 06-10-2013 07:30 PM
Living in 34' AS Fulltime - Living My Parent's Dream.... bugnot1 Member Introductions 14 12-21-2010 08:40 AM
Using scraps from the past for the airstream Lothlorian General Repair Forum 0 06-02-2008 01:19 PM
Airstream's 25% Price Increase In Past 2 Years flyfisher Trailer Values 22 01-27-2006 10:39 AM
Did I see YOU this past weekend? Pick On The Road... 2 10-01-2002 07:03 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.