Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
You guys could call your new great company AirStreak, kinda catchy and with all those great inovations you've mentioned sure to succeed. Lol.
Ill stick with what I have, entry level or not.
Im sure Airstream is watching you closely for trade secrets.
Thinking out loud, how do we add antilock brakes without more hardware and weight?

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:18 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Sorry, I don't want a trailer with a ladder on the back, or bikes hanging on the back (wrong place for bike IMO). Others have mentioned slides, nope, I wouldn't buy one with slides since I like the trailer to function the same in both travel mode and camping mode, most models with slides need the slides out to make the interior very functional. Better insulation would be nice, insulated glass would be great but add weight, not so much.

I'd like to see better technology including decent factory solar option and a return to a more modern, streamlined interior more like the original CCD's. I'd also like to see more factory customization options including flooring, awnings, and ultra leather. Most important is decent quality control, too hit or miss currently. Lastly, I'm willing to pay more, actually a lot more then current Airstream prices for a better product.

Yup, I can dream too.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:23 AM   #43
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
https://www.cdeam.com/airstream-1/
Old 02-23-2019, 12:55 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Chicora , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
You guys could call your new great company AirStreak, kinda catchy and with all those great inovations you've mentioned sure to succeed. Lol.
Ill stick with what I have, entry level or not.
Im sure Airstream is watching you closely for trade secrets.
Thinking out loud, how do we add antilock brakes without more hardware and weight?
All that and you end with your own idea on how to make a better AS?

If we never expected our cars and trucks to get better, we would still be changing out points and condensers. No thanks.
Totlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:29 PM   #45
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Fact:
As long as conspicuous consumption still exists there will be Airstreams.
Fact:
Not if but When Toyota, Honda, Subaru, et al start building a high quality TT - for less, Airstream will be recognized as just another US company who couldn't improvise and didnt offer value and their market share will dry up.
So to answer the OP's question,
Yes, Airstream IS living on it's past.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:07 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
None of the Japanese companies you mention are likely to enter the TT market. They make their profit on volume and the numbers just aren't there in the RV market.

The RV market has probably peaked as the Baby Boomers start to age out of the population. Same problem faced by Harley Davidson -- look at the average age on their bikes.

I just turned 65 and I am already seeing friends pass far too regularly.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:40 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Warrenton , Virginia
Lots of trailers have come and gone during Airstreams time....lots of repercussion for every decision to change something thats been proven by time.

Easy to come up with and idea much harder to make it happen at a profit that allows you to stay in business.

A 10% increase in quality can be way more than the same percent in cost.

My suggestion is that if you have an idea then try making it yourself or paying to have it made then live with it for a few years, modify it and refine it.
Then figure a way to make it affordable....then try and make a profit on the item, once you have accomplished these things then try making them in large numbers to see if all things stay the same(Hint they won't)

Once completed bring all information to Airstream in a package that's easy to understand and propose your idea.....perhaps then someone will listen.

Ideas are easy and everyone has them...in fact there are no limits to the ideas that people that actually don't build anything come up with.

Talk is cheap Airstream has been making these things for many decades don't just assume it's going to be easy to do it better just because you have an idea.

I have a 1976 Argosy 28 that I have completely reconfigured to meet my needs.....this stuff isn't easy trust me nothing fits easily into a shiny round big tin can...... but beans.

I'm just saying.......
captainkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:08 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
They make their profit on volume and the numbers just aren't there in the RV market.
if there were a camping/travel trailer culture & market in China, AS would go the way of furniture manufacturers. Let’s be careful what we wish for.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:43 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
The Carbon-Fiber CR-1 from Global Caravan Technologies supposedly had some Chinese involvement. We tripped over promotional hype for it in 2014, while we were still researching all the various RV options. (Before we bought our '79 AS that summer.) The CR-1 was supposed to be a light-weight, uber luxury TT. It appears they made 1 prototype, then the company supposedly imploded.

When it comes to RVs & components, I like a lot of the European & Australian stuff. Are their products better quality? Maybe, or maybe not. They don't seem to be stuck in the past at least. We were one of the renovators who purchased the Dometic CU-434 range. I love that little stove. It's sleek glass lid, which sits flush with our countertop, and ease of use has pleased me no end. So far... I've baked cakes & peach cobbler in the oven which turned out great.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:41 AM   #50
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
I wonder why I thought owning an Airstream was a good idea other than they hold their value, especially buying used. They are aerodynamic as much as a box can be and should tow well. The fit and finish is much better than most. They are quirky with the antique-like awning and riveted together. I like quirky. They are universally loved and maybe some of that love would stick to me, too. And the social aspect. Reason's enough. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Jackson Center to offer a bunch of options or do much of anything that would slow them down.

Clint