Old 01-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #85
Site Team

, Minnesota
I miss the good old days when you could show a little creativity or color outside the lines without having someone call the law on you.

I think it's becoming just a little too crowded. Too many people on too little space just causes the sharp elbows to come out.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #86
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
A good friend of mine recently purchsed a vintage Avalon shell and while it will remain a TT, she plans on taking the Land Yaught name to the logical conclusion and give it a marine interior. I like that thought!

As for the original post, no doubt that is not the cleanest conversion, but it does get old when folks think they dislike your idea so much they want to sink it... Having been notified that my AS must be licensed or removed from my property I can feel their pain. I've got an AS project and a boat project on comercial property and while I do not want to hurt my neighbors property value...it is still my land! Alas I will play nice and hope to soon have plates in hand...boat is now registered....

Old 01-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #87
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpray
... I've got an AS project and a boat project on comercial property and while I do not want to hurt my neighbors property value...it is still my land! Alas I will play nice and hope to soon have plates in hand....
You might look at vintage plates if that works for you in TX. In Ohio it's a one time registration, good forever.

I'd love to know more about that AS houseboat dispute. What if you lived on a smallish lake and all of the sudden somebody moves in and drops anchor for the summer out in the middle because it's not prohibited. I bet that town gets an ordinance enacted by emergency reading ASAP. We vacation up on a lake in VT and I'm certain after the novelty wore off even an AS would ruin the view.

Best wishes,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:16 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Custom Pontoon Boots to house your Airstream

Okay - here you go

http://www.u-fabboats.com/ this is the place I got my quote from - to pop that MoonBeam I had (69 21' globe trotter - 4000#)
Old 01-13-2008, 12:59 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
You might look at vintage plates if that works for you in TX. In Ohio it's a one time registration, good forever.

I'd love to know more about that AS houseboat dispute. What if you lived on a smallish lake and all of the sudden somebody moves in and drops anchor for the summer out in the middle because it's not prohibited. I bet that town gets an ordinance enacted by emergency reading ASAP. We vacation up on a lake in VT and I'm certain after the novelty wore off even an AS would ruin the view.

Best wishes,

Steve
What if someone lived on a houseboat on a small lake and someone came and built a vacation house on the shore obstructing their view of the serene woodlands around the lake and displacing the local flora and fauna. Where once the deer walked along their ancient game trail to drink water was now a concrete dock and boy did the couple on the houseboat used to love watching the fawns come to drink. Different strokes.

P.S. I really like your Argosy.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmossyone
What if someone lived on a houseboat on a small lake and someone came and built a vacation house on the shore obstructing their view of the serene woodlands around the lake and displacing the local flora and fauna. Where once the deer walked along their ancient game trail to drink water was now a concrete dock and boy did the couple on the houseboat used to love watching the fawns come to drink. Different strokes.

P.S. I really like your Argosy.

Up here - land issues are very delicate.....one of the biggest arguments - for any side of the fence so to speak is view! So our Land court took the element out of the argument. NO ONE is entitled to the view and it can no longer be used as an argument. You purchase the land or you the flotation device for the water and obtain the appropriate approvals for said usage and construction thereof....

The sooner people start thinking in that terms the better. People need to do their due diligence before they purchase. For example the people opposing us - it has been a vacant lot for 30 years - but it is a lot of record and building is permit-table - it was just a matter of where on the lot. If it was such an issue to not have a new house beside them then perhaps they should have either not purchased their developed lot - OR purchased the Vacant Lot when they had the chance!

We did our home work and would not have bought the lot if we could not build on it. But then these people would have us being as stupid as to buy a $54,000 dollar boat launch
Old 01-31-2008, 11:13 PM   #91
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
The Nautical Airstream

If you go to this address on the Sierra Neveda Unit's website you will find three pictures of a really good adaptation of making Airstream a nautical home. The catamaran is really neat.
Early Airstreams and other trailers

Best of luck with your project.

Dale "Pee Wee" Schwamborn
Old 01-31-2008, 11:30 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee
If you go to this address on the Sierra Neveda Unit's website you will find three pictures of a really good adaptation of making Airstream a nautical home. The catamaran is really neat.

A neat site, thanks Pee Wee.

Barry
Old 02-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #93
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee

When I saw that Airstream earlier today I thought, at first, it was sfixx's Argosy but quickly realized it was a earlier model painted Airstream in the same, or similar, color scheme.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote