Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2006, 03:14 PM   #21
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Didn't Wally do this something like this on one of his caravans?

Scary!

Shari
reminds me of my camping spot at cumberland falls, ky!

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ght=precarious

ha!

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:21 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
From reading this article in Oceana's Herald-Journal out of Hart, MI, it looks like an Airstream houseboat has the neighbors talking.

Posted 10-12-2006
Houseboat stays, for now

Stony Lake Property Owners Association members are taking a wait and see approach regarding an Airstream-houseboat that has been on the water this past summer.

Association Vice President Chuck Ginebaugh said he believes the houseboat was launched from a private boat ramp in the Stony Lake subdivision and they are waiting to see if the property owners will allow the boat to be launched through their property next year. Ginebaugh said they have spoken with the sheriff’s department and learned there is nothing they can do. The boat was still on the water Sept. 29, property owner Cynthia McKinnon said.
Benona Township has not been approached about the houseboat, Supervisor Steve Fleming said. He thought he knew who the owner is.

“It’s a water thing,” Fleming said. “We don’t have a zoning ordinance or anything for water. “He goes out there I believe. I don’t think he is sleeping on it. He’s certainly not living on it.”

Oceana County Sheriff’s Department Lt. Buzz Angell also believed there is nothing the sheriff’s department can do about the houseboat. He provided a copy of a law that says county boards can regulate the mooring of houseboats on inland lakes by ordinance.
County Administrator Paul Inglis was not familiar with the houseboat, but said he would bring the issue to the county board of commissioners if requested. He instructed administrative assistant Sue Johnson to search for model ordinances, and said any proposed ordinance would need legal review for the content.
I wonder if they would have to grandfather the unit in ?

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:23 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
A few years back a friend was telling us he'd seen pictures of two couples who had built two large raft/platforms with 45 gal drums underneath. They had put them in a large lake east of Vancouver, BC (Harrison Lake) and then in the spring towed their two travel trailers up, loaded one on each platform, firmly secured them down, and out they went. Each platform had a 50 horse Merc boat motor and also a small kicker on it in case they ever had problems with the larger motor, and a small aluminum boat with a small kicker for getting in and out of sandy beaches, to the store, etc. They spent their summer holidays and weekends out cruising around the very large lake and had a great time. They did this for two years, and in the fall they'd built the platform/raft set ups to be disassembled and it went into a local storage facility for the winter. They got the idea when they were down at a lake in WA state and saw that folks had done this and done a great job of making them look reasonable, and safe. For some reason they'd quit doing it but it sure sounded like a great idea to me and I'd wondered about doing the same at some time. There's not a chance that I'd risk my Airstream but there's a ton of SOB's out there, really cheap, that if it sank, oh well - too bad. However, I also know what my wife would likely say so it stays tucked away in the back of my head as something I might do someday. But I sure like the idea a lot. Particularly with the very large lakes that we have in the interior of BC. So, I'm not the only weird one after all.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
There is no "original thought." Try this on for size!
http://www.rvtraveler.com/boatpic.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	terrainwater.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	28453  
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:47 PM   #25
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I would call the Coast Guard...no the Highway Patrol...no the National Guard...no Capt. Nemo if I saw that thing coming at me!
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:52 PM   #26
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Cute thread--didn't Gordon Lightfoot sing about that trip?

Quote:
I can just imagine an afternoon cruise across the Great Lakes for a sunset dinner in Ontario.
"the legend lives on from the Chippewa on down..."

I have to say I have truly enjoyed this thread. What fun! Boating is great fun, but we underestimate big water at our peril, and the changes even from one hour to the next on the lakes are amazing and sometimes scary, ask me how I know-(kayak not houseboat).
Honest to goodness having lived by these lakes for so long I haven't seen houseboats with trailers trying to cross those lakes, maybe they did and ended up here!
Yukionna we need you for the women's rally, please don't take that cruise, specially not in November!!
Old 11-10-2006, 05:02 PM   #27
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Not all RV's float!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rvsink.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	28455  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:55 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

They have (had?) drive-on pontoon-boats/barge-type floats for trailers and motorhomes available for rent at Sicamous, BC for use on Shuswap Lake. They used Volvo I/O for power, had extra fresh water tanks and holding tanks. Decks were large enough to walk around both sides and have a paito/pilot area in front. A similar vessel was available for rent for a couple years at Lake Billy Chinook in Oregon, but not after the insurance lawyers heard of the idea. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:02 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Not all RV's float!
He forgot to blow the ballest tanks.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:48 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
They have (had?) drive-on pontoon-boats/barge-type floats for trailers and motorhomes available for rent at Sicamous, BC for use on Shuswap Lake. They used Volvo I/O for power, had extra fresh water tanks and holding tanks. Decks were large enough to walk around both sides and have a paito/pilot area in front. A similar vessel was available for rent for a couple years at Lake Billy Chinook in Oregon, but not after the insurance lawyers heard of the idea. Darol
Okay, now this has really got me thinking. I can't help but wonder what people would think seeing an Airstream or equivalent floating past in the late evening as the sun was sinking and glowing off that bright aluminum. Probably bring a tear to their eyes. May even elicit a few phone calls about space ships landing on the water. I do know where there's a late 70's Avion as someone suggested rather than "waste" an Airstream, and it's to the point where doing this to it wouldn't probably hurt it any more than what's already been done to it. Oh man, my wife would just kill me.
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:56 PM   #31
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Im sure it has been done before, but I have often thought it would be neat to get a barge, put a couple ASs on and do the Ole Miss from the head waters to the gulf
There is a tour company that loads RV's onto barges and goes on a long trip down the Mississippi (and other waterways). My mother and her husband did that trip a few years ago with their fifth wheel. They absolutely LOVED it. They often used Creative World Tours (RV tours) though I'm not 100% positive that was the company who did the barge trip. If this is new info to you and you'd like to know the name of the company, I'll ask.

- the S in redSHED
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:09 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Sequim , Washington
Houseboat from an Airstream?

Quote:
Has anyone else ever built a houseboat from an Airstream? Please don't shoot me for having these thoughts.
This one was parked in the far upper left hand corner of the US map at Neah Bay, Washington...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kalakala_NeahBay.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	28465  
Old 11-10-2006, 09:00 PM   #33
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bassett
This one was parked in the far upper left hand corner of the US map at Neah Bay, Washington...
Poor old Kalakala! She is slowly being restored to her former glory...
Old 11-11-2006, 12:11 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
I like the barge idea where you can back off and on... so you aren't doing anything to your 'stream but camping in it! How about a big patio boat??? But I would vote for a quiet lake... not going under the Golden Gate Bridge!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:08 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Houseboat plans

I found a houseboat building website where someone has documented their project of building a pontoon houseboat 48' long by 14' wide (see photo below). Even the pontoons are made of wood. This could be adapted to build the barge.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	homemade houseboat.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	28468  

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:22 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Kalakala

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bassett
Surely you know that is SOB.

I think this is the manufactures Web Site.

http://www.kalakala.org/
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:10 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Friends of mine with a SOB motorhome have been on an organized tour via barge of the Mississippi. You can load your bus / trailer on a rail car and take the CW trip. RV folks love water. Why not combine the two?
A good AS shell with a bad floor is an ideal candidate for a conversion. Just flip it over and seal it up below the waterline.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:31 AM   #38
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I would be worried about condensation in the belly pan being around that much water

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:44 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
There is a tour company that loads RV's onto barges and goes on a long trip down the Mississippi (and other waterways)...If this is new info to you and you'd like to know the name of the company, I'll ask.
Yes, I would be interested in learning more about this!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:35 AM   #40
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth

[/quote]
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Im sure it has been done before, but I have often thought it would be neat to get a barge, put a couple ASs on and do the Ole Miss from the head waters to the gulf
Quote:

quote=RedSHED]There is a tour company that loads RV's onto barges and goes on a long trip down the Mississippi (and other waterways). My mother and her husband did that trip a few years ago with their fifth wheel. They absolutely LOVED it. They often used Creative World Tours (RV tours) though I'm not 100% positive that was the company who did the barge trip. If this is new info to you and you'd like to know the name of the company, I'll ask.

- the S in redSHED
Sounds like a cool first ever forum caravan-- I'm assuming there havent been any so far...

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote