Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Havelock , North Carolina
Airstream Friendly Subdivision??

I have an idea and thought I would throw it out in the Airstream community for input.

Some history first, I live in a subdivision that has a HOA and covenants that restrict RV’s, boats, utility trailers, breathing etc. on your property. I always thought it odd that a community that bills itself as a “boating community” would not allow boats on the property….

With that said, I live to the rear of the subdivision and 3 years ago purchased 9 acres adjacent and I have cleared, got all the approvals installed utilities, lights, paving etc and have 14 lots ½ acre plus or minus and have a new subdivision. I built it not knowing exactly what I would do whether sell lots, build homes to sell or what but now that I am finished that question still remains. I know I don’t want all the same restrictions as the SD that I live in adjacent and figured I would always allow boats but then the idea popped of an “Airstream friendly development”? We have owned our Airstream for a year and love it so the idea of parking it somewhere in a storage yard doesn’t appeal to me.

Would the idea of being able to own property build a house and have your Airstream on your property in a SD appeal to anyone? Or any ideas how I might structure an HOA to allow owners to actually “live” and have their things that they enjoy near them? People on this list and others express that the HOA’s they live in allow nothing also and now I have the choice to do something about it from the ground up.
Any comments welcome.

Phil
nsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i always dreamed of owning a mechanic's garage with a small apartment to sleep in. that's not a bad second choice!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I've never understood the attraction of an HOA. I own a city lot and have had my Airstream parked in my back yard for a couple of years now. In fact, I'm now living in it while my house is built. I figure the restrictions of HOAs cause more tension between residents than not. If you need rules, keep them simple like maintain your home and keep a well kept yard (which does not impose the requirement of a lawn on the property owner), etc.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Not only do I have my Airstream parked on the side of my garage, I have another in the back yard. No HOA here!

Steve
Old 09-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
The North Texas Airstream Community may be of interest to you for some ideas.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:24 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I live in a development with 25, 5 acre lots. There were provisions for an HOA, and there are some deed restrictions, but since an HOA was never officially formed, none of the restrictions are enforced. Most folks are well behaved, except one couple who are divorcing and have not mowed their front lawn, which is now about 18" high now and ready to be baled.

So I can say that I live in an Airstream friendly development, even though I am the only one there. One other neighbor has an SOB fiver. Horses and cattle are also welcome, but not pigs.
There are 3 houses currently for sale in the $200K range, if anyone is interested.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:46 AM   #7

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
gainesville , Georgia
Question airstream friendly subdivision

You have a great idea. I like this but have not been to SD. I'm trying to get 3 airstreams around a 30x30 support building that would include a big kitchen (for organic gardens produce processing), fireplace/pool seasonal, W/D, library, computers, etc. any ideas? rsvp stan morrison 1134 chesdtatee rd. gainesville Ga. 30501 aka thehugguy@hotmail.com cell 770 540 5725
thehugguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
We moved from country property with a HOA but few restrictions to a SD with a HOA and a significantly more restrictions. Prior to constructing our home and one with a planned RV pad I approached the developers and Architectural Control Committee (ARC) with my plans. I told them my plans for construction hinged on approval for storage of my Airstream on site and furnished complete plans along with the site plan showing where my Airstream would be parked. The ARC came back with a site plan showing landscape screening that would be required if approved. We're moving forward with the landscaping with no problems from the new HOA and ARC recently taken over by the homeowners from the original developers. So far, so good. As a former custom home builder I would suggest that you, as developer, write your deed restrictions to your liking, have the development deveoped to those restrictions with you as the HOA and AC until such time as is convenient for you to turn it over to the homeowners. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
We Have an HOA in our subdivision.. 3+ acres lots.... Only eight of us here, The HOA was formed to sue the original construction firm that made the subdivision for running a 2 inch line to a fire hydrant...

Any why, I'm the President of sorts and it laid back, just tell us what you want to do and as long as it's not gonna be pink or some other bright color and block someone's view it's fine... This is how an HOA should be.. once a year dinner meeting.. We are all friends here, only 3 of us are not retired... We are all friends. Two others have SOB's and one a motor home.. We all park beside our garages out of the way, not because we have to, but out of courtesy of our neighbors, as we all have terrific 360 degree views of the mountains...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:03 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Havelock , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
We moved from country property with a HOA but few restrictions to a SD with a HOA and a significantly more restrictions. Prior to constructing our home and one with a planned RV pad I approached the developers and Architectural Control Committee (ARC) with my plans. I told them my plans for construction hinged on approval for storage of my Airstream on site and furnished complete plans along with the site plan showing where my Airstream would be parked. The ARC came back with a site plan showing landscape screening that would be required if approved. We're moving forward with the landscaping with no problems from the new HOA and ARC recently taken over by the homeowners from the original developers. So far, so good. As a former custom home builder I would suggest that you, as developer, write your deed restrictions to your liking, have the development developed to those restrictions with you as the HOA and AC until such time as is convenient for you to turn it over to the homeowners. Good luck.
I think a pad is a good idea and if you don't mind me asking, how is the screening detailed? Is the pad next to your garage?

Some people have asked why have a HOA and it really comes down to being able to have funds to maintain the street until the time the state takes it over (4 homes have to be built) and there are drainage ditches that need maintenance that are common and grass on vacant lots need to be cut until built etc. Also we live in the county which has no zoning or ordinances like a city lot so having no protective covenants doesn't do anyone any good at least here. The trick is to make it reasonable.
nsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:57 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
Not all HOAs exist to prevent clothes lines and regulate the height of the grass. I am on the board of our HOA and it exists solely to raise money to pay for the liability insurance on the common space and pond. We have an annual meeting and a friendly neighborhood. We don't have restrictions on what to keep in the yard. That's a good thing because we haven't built our house yet (we live on the other side of town) but the lot is where we store our AS in the winter.

Mary

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsteel View Post
I think a pad is a good idea and if you don't mind me asking, how is the screening detailed? Is the pad next to your garage?

Some people have asked why have a HOA and it really comes down to being able to have funds to maintain the street until the time the state takes it over (4 homes have to be built) and there are drainage ditches that need maintenance that are common and grass on vacant lots need to be cut until built etc. Also we live in the county which has no zoning or ordinances like a city lot so having no protective covenants doesn't do anyone any good at least here. The trick is to make it reasonable.
The RV pad is next to the garage and is screened in various locations with shurbs and trees in order to soften the veiw from the street and neighbors.

A HOA can be a valuable tool to creating a neighborhood that maintains a consistant quality of construction i.e. 80% masonry, one story, two story, 3,500sf minimums, no sheds, no temporary shelters, etc etc. The deed restrictions are filed with the local governing authority for life and hold up in court to challenges.