Old 09-04-2005, 03:22 PM   #1

Airstream for refugee homes

How about having either the federal or state government construct some mobile home areas all over the US near cities and schools where each family could live. There are more than 500 vacant mobil homes for sale here in my area. This would give each family of refugees a place of their own to live, go to school and get a job. It is widely known that thousands of people together even in the best Astrodome is conducive to all types of illnesses.

It is also known that people must live in small communities, not warehouses.

Many of us live in mobile homes all or most all of the year. Does anyone support me on this? If so, please e-mail your senator and representative.

Old 09-04-2005, 03:47 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bohn
How about having either the federal or state government construct some mobile home areas all over the US near cities and schools where each family could live. There are more than 500 vacant mobil homes for sale here in my area. This would give each family of refugees a place of their own to live, go to school and get a job. It is widely known that thousands of people together even in the best Astrodome is conducive to all types of illnesses.

It is also known that people must live in small communities, not warehouses.

Many of us live in mobile homes all or most all of the year. Does anyone support me on this? If so, please e-mail your senator and representative.
Actually this is a great idea....I was sort of thinking that every RV manufacturer could donate as many coaches as they could afford to and set them up someplace where folks could get some shelter. I know the government would most likley allow them to write off the costs of the units fully...seems like a win/win to me, but of course, I'm kind of a couch coach.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 03:56 PM   #3
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Fema already does something like this. They have thousands of "plain-Jane" mobile homes prepositioned all over the country. In case an emergency they can simply be pulled to the affected region and put to use as small "communites" for displaced persons.

There used to be a large number of them prepositioned in a town nearby, but I haven't been by there in several years, so I'm not sure if they're still there.

It takes a while to get them from point "A" to Point "B" when a disaster strikes. They have to be towed to the disaster area, set up with proper footing, eletric and water run in, etc, etc. But it is "doable".

But, you won't hear about that on the news. They're to busy screaming about what idiot our President is.

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 04:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Lawn Furniture - Unused RV's

I fulltime in my A/S, however I must know six people who have trailers, RV's or even moho's that they haven't used in years. Has anyone called for donations of these vehicles? I'm not much of a mechanic, but I'd be glad to tow one to Miss. or Louisiana. They wouldn't have to be in tip-top shape, just clean, dry, safe to tow and safe.

Tin Lizzie
Old 09-04-2005, 04:27 PM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
They're to busy screaming about what idiot our President is.
well, he is an idiot. but we're discussing that in another thread right now....

actually, I did see the FEMA guy mention that on the news, that they were "mobilizing" the mobile homes.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 04:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
The FEMA Mobile Homes are full

Last year, Punta Gorda (Florida) was torn down, four hurricanes in a row..

it was hurricane Ivan, etc, and MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY FEMA mobile homes are STILL being used.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:15 PM   #7
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo-kid1
Last year, Punta Gorda (Florida) was torn down, four hurricanes in a row..

it was hurricane Ivan, etc, and MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY FEMA mobile homes are STILL being used.
O.K., I think I'm gettin' a bead on this....So all of the FEMA homes are in use? Four storms in a row last year have stretched the emergency response capabilities of FEMA too thin? Logically, the president is an idiot. Got it. I have to go find that thread Chuck was mentioning.

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 05:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Ain't misbehavin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
O.K., I think I'm gettin' a bead on this....So all of the FEMA homes are in use? Four storms in a row last year have stretched the emergency response capabilities of FEMA too thin? Logically, the president is an idiot. Got it. I have to go find that thread Chuck was mentioning.

I am TRYING to behave and stay out of discussing politics, but I DO have to wonder this:

We supposedly have "Terror Plans" in case of another (?) attack on the United States. We have "elevated Terror alerts" , in COLOR, (watch Fox) every day. We have well-trained First Responders in case of chemical attack, or anything else.

What happened?
Old 09-04-2005, 05:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I read on another site this morning that FEMA had ordered between 40,000 and 50,000 RV's from manufacturers across the States in the past week to help meet the immediate demands. I'm sure anything that's been sitting on a lot for any length of time will disappear quickly. I live in an area that is destined for an earthquake and like everyone else here I have an emergency plan that could easily be blown apart if the devastation were beyond my comprehension, which is nil, since I've never lived through an earthquake. Life for a lot of humans is going to be very difficult, I can't imagine the hell their pets are living through, and the wild creatures in the same areas as well. I've also read that the National Guard have done an incredible job of getting things into some semblence of sanity. Considering the vast amount of damage this will haunt that part of the country for a very long time. Barry
Old 09-04-2005, 05:50 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Quote:
What happened?
One has to request these services from the Federal government in the proper way. They don't just automatically start sending men, machinery and food out to a location because of a story on CNN, MSNBC or the Weather Channel.

Why? Because city, county, state, etc. governments don't want other branches "stepping on their toes". If the Feds sent in the National Guard into an area that did not request it, you would not believe how much hell to pay there would be. What happened in Louisiana, was clearly the fault of the Mayor of New Orleans and the Governor of Lousiana. Telling everyone, "I asked them to send me everything!" after the fact doesn't cut it.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:47 PM   #11
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Travel trailers from FEMA

FEMA has a slew of "stripped down" base model travel trailers for use as emergency homes for small families. They can be stayed in for up to 18 months free of charge. There are thousands of them in our area for refugees of hurricane Charlie, some are being sent to the upper Gulf area, but the Feds have to wait for a formal request from the states before they can officially distribute them. we in Florida had a leg up last year, since our Governor is the President's brother, it went a tad faster.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Pick, you are so correct.

Now, I have some comments for everyone....

The Mayor of New Orleans, the Governor of Lousiana are BOTH more at fault than The President or Congress.

Fact #1- People were ordered by the Mayor to evacuate.
Fact #2- Some did, some didn't.
Fact #3-NOTHING was done before the disaster by the Mayor or Governor to mobilize infrastructure of public transportation, school busses, etc to get those people being evacuated right now, after the disaster, to move it.
Fact #4- Some of those IDIOTS in New Orleans STILL don't want to leave and are attempting to refuse orders to evacuate even though they are living in a LAKE of disease and sewage etc. This only proves that the people of New Orleans actually did elect one of their own as Mayor.
Fact #5- We are dealing with TWO disasters. The first is the hurricane, which barely MISSED New Orleans. The SECOND disaster is the failure of the LEVY system in N.O. The second disaster is worse than the first because water flows to the lowest point, which is in this case New Orleans. The Asian tsunami washed ashore destroying life as those people knew it, and then washed back into the ocean. This New Orleans "tsunami" isn't going anyplace without a repaired levy, electricity, pumping, and lots of cleanup work.
(Notice that Mississippi and Alabama, although bruised and battered by Katrina, are NOT the subject of 24/7 coverage by CNN and FoxNews as is New Orleans?)
Fact #6- The City of New Orleans, The State Legislature of Louisiana, The CONGRESS and the Executive Branch of the Federal Government, has failed to fund adequate money necessary to build the necessary levy infrastructure and protection necessary for power and pumping stations in New Orleans for DECADES. This is a disaster that has been planned for decades by default....we let it happen for want of doing nothing.
This includes BOTH Democrat and Republican majorities in Congress, and BOTH Democratic and Republican Presidential Administrations.

BOTTOM LINE:
There is enough BLAME to go around. Cussing those holding office right now does no real good.
We are where we are because WE THE PEOPLE let it happen, and now WE THE PEOPLE will pay to pick up the pieces, and hopefully WE THE PEOPLE will LEARN something from the mistakes of the past and we will MOVE ON.

I happen to know the President personally. I have looked him in the eye, and have found him to be a straight shooter. He will make corrections in policy and reccommendatoins to Congress that are necessary to make sure the mistakes revealed in this disaster do NOT happen again.
The President is anything but an idiot.
Although some people's politics may differ from his, he is still YOUR PRESIDENT. We should act respectfully.

Lastly, what the country is dealing with in this is nothing short of several nuclear explosions in terms of amount of destruction across the Gulf States.
What those people that would wish the United States ill should know is this:
Right now we are a little occupied with healing our own land after an unprecidented natural disaster.
We are more than a little sore and irritated about a number of things resulting from this disaster, and our anger and angst is on display in front of the world stage for all the world to see.
But make no mistake, WE are AMERICANS. We will put it back together.
We welcome the help of those who would be willing and able to help us in a time of grief and humanitarian need.
However, if you wish the United States harm and act on that desire, then you should know that we will pull ourselves together despite our grief and differences, and we WILL settle the score.

---now, back to your regular programming---

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 07:30 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
dscluchfc, outstanding post! Bravo!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 07:48 PM   #14
Craftsman

He sure comes off as an idiot with an abismal enviormental policy. He cut funding for work on the levies by 80%. How did we the people let it happen? Work on the levies have been ongoing for 300 years, the oldest public works project in the U.S. The area flooded the year after the French settled it. What should have been learned is don't build cities below sea level, especially on the coast and then cut the funding thats necessary to protect them. The Federal government is as responsible as Stae government.