Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2005, 03:46 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Thank you, thank you, Steven, for posting something we can act on. I'm willing & available ... problem is, I just talked to Bob but my Chevy S-10 isn't big enough for any of his units. His are all 26-30' regular travel trailers.

Anybody have a half- or 3/4-ton truck they're not using? He said call right back if I can scrounge one up!

I'm also considering just loading the Chevy up with a can opener & jugs of water & other basics & heading to N.O.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:22 PM   #42
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Thumbs up

curious about this. How does one deal w/ weight distribution/anti-sway in such a situation? I understand that many RVs are delivered to their buyers by independant contractors who are towing w/ pickup trucks....but WD equipment needs to be installed on the RV itself, not just the truck.

my extremely moderate 1/2 ton could possibly handle such a rig...but not without wd.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:21 PM   #43
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I'm trying to get some more information from some of our other customers. Late in the day today we heard from one dealer who is now completely out of RVs! Between the FEMA purchases (50) and displaced people looking for something, anything to live in, they are completely sold out of 150 units.

We are hearing numbers like 50,000 - 75,000 units going to FEMA. No confirmation on these numbers, but its a staggering concept when you consider that this May the industry only shipped 15,000 new travel trailers in total to dealers (38,000 units when you include all towables and motorized units).

This is a staggering effort and one that is catching many dealers scrambling for inventory and delivery capacity. Again, hoping to get some FEMA or RVIA numbers or email addresses but until then everyone I talk to is telling me to ask people to contact their local dealerships to find out how they can help out with deliveries.

Summerkid, thanks for getting involved. I think this could be a real positive thing for RVers, the RV Industry and the RV lifestyle itself. After all, it's people helping people that make this forum so great...here is something on a grand scale that simple involves stepping up and helping out.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:35 PM   #44
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
Thank you, thank you, Steven, for posting something we can act on. I'm willing & available ... problem is, I just talked to Bob but my Chevy S-10 isn't big enough for any of his units. His are all 26-30' regular travel trailers.

Anybody have a half- or 3/4-ton truck they're not using? He said call right back if I can scrounge one up!

I'm also considering just loading the Chevy up with a can opener & jugs of water & other basics & heading to N.O.
Summerkid, I love your signature line! As Elitists, aren’t we supposed to help those around us, but not to the point of crippling ourselves? I have a relative that works for Florida State Government. He tells me that once it was determined that the hurricane was going elsewhere (and the rain & wind stopped) three truck loads of supplies were dispatched from the Florida panhandle. The two trucks with food and water were both hijacked somewhere near N’awlins. The third truck carrying gasoline has not been located, nor the driver heard from.

Now that the Army is charge on the ground (and NOT the extremely corrupt government of Louisiana) things are probably better. BE CAREFUL, your kids need you more than the people of New Orleans.

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:42 PM   #45
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
We are hearing numbers like 50,000 - 75,000 units going to FEMA. No confirmation on these numbers, but its a staggering concept when you consider that this May the industry only shipped 15,000 new travel trailers in total to dealers (38,000 units when you include all towables and motorized units).
I don’t know. Government rarely makes sense anymore, but that is a load of stuff even by government standards. Has anybody actually seen empty RV lots nearby? I’ll try to drive by a few tomorrow and see what inventories look like.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 09-06-2005, 07:54 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Quote:
This seems overreactionary to me. Do they need that many? Where will they be parked? Power? Water? Logistical expense to get them there if that is the intent. RVs are complicated vehicles and trailers for those with no experience to live in. But then again, I see little evidence anyone in any authority at all levels of government has a grasp on this situation.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:17 PM   #47
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Keep in mind it's not just the people who lost their homes, it housing for rescue workers, reporters, engineers, everyone affected by, related to or supporting the clean up in the area....there is no place to stay right now.

I've personally talked to a larger dealer who is 300 units through a 1000 unit order. Other dealers have told us they are shipping almost, if not, everything on their lot. 700 units alone from the Freedom Roads network of dealers. CNN renting out one dealers entire fleets of motorhome for new crews, manufacturers of park models and travel trailers being asked to build and ship units with residential toilets and fridges in them.

It also seems to be pretty random and not terribly organized. Units coming from Syracuse and Seattle, while other dealers we know near the disaster aren't even being asked to help.

I think its fast and furious and all over the place right now. 50,000 units...who knows? I keep trying to imagine what would happen if the 1 million living in our fair city (Lousiville Metro) had nowhere to live for six months and 50,000 units doesn't seem enough.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:30 AM   #48
Rivet Master

My brother is taking in a family that lost their home. (my brother will most likely drive them crazy) His church is arranging the relief effort. I guess some people will stay with relatives and friends, some will stay at motels or shelters. Maybe it's time to show them a little " NORTHERN " hospitality.
I just hope that they are wrong about how many people that we lost.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:09 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

we have all these air force bases that have been closed down lately....why dont we put the displaced people there? wouldent cost anything, just fly them in on a transport plane...... and what if another hurricane hits with all those trailers down there? what a mess that would be.
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:17 AM   #50
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
I really try not to get involved in political debates but I find it ludicrous that honest American taxpayers would be asked to donate their RV or home to house the victims of Katrina.
The USA government has facilities to accomodate the victims.
Consider Guantanomo Bay in Cuba. It is currently being used to detain "prisoners of war" from Afghanistan, Iraq and other mideast countries. Most of the people there have been "detained" there for years and most never had their day in court. Their "crime" for the most part was plotting against an invasion by a foreign nation, under orders from their commander in chief.
Bear in mind that war on Iraq and Afghanistan was never officially declared, but even if it had been, POW's are supposed to be released when the war is over. Millions of USA tax dollars are being used to provide food and shelter to those detainees.
I say send those people home and use the facilities as temporary housing for American disaster victims.
Why should we provide food and housing for "political prisoners" when those facilities could be used to house needy Americans?
The USA government has the ability to provide for the N.O. victims without asking American taxpayers to cough up their personal RV's or homes. Isn't that one of the reasons we pay taxes to a government to provide and protect us in times of need?
In the same vein of thought, why is our prez dragging his feet on accepting the generous offer of help frpm Fidel Castro? We are the nation that decided to put him in power. I don't like the man or his politics, but isn't it high time to mend fences? The citizens of Cuba are not our enemy, they are our neighbor.
We are in the midst of an unparalled national crises and we need help. Why in the world would we refuse a free offer of help regardless of source? I cannot recall when any country refused our help when they genuinely needed it.
Is it reasonable to think that an American in need of medical assistance would refuse to be treated by a Cuban doctor or nurse?
I see this tragedy as an opportunity to prove that we are all children of the universe, regardless of nationality.
We often boast that we are the first to offer help wherever needed. Now we are receiving humane offers of help from countries like Cuba, Germany, China, Sri Lanka and many others.
This is a time for healing. Accept the offers and bless those who reached out in our time of need.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:07 AM   #51
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
OK...confirmation today in USA Today and again in RV Business. FEMA is ordering up to 70,000 RVs, shipping in 500 a day.

I have calls into FEMA and RVDA to see if out little company can help in any way (we have a lot of data on where units are located, price points, models, etc.)

Not sure what this means on the long term, but I think people are working in the short term right now.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:13 AM   #52
3 Rivet Member

what about abandoned hotels? like in reno or vegas? heritage usa, jim and tammy fayes place...there are many places they could go.
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:06 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Last night I saw a profile on how Texas, and Dallas in particular on this segment, is handling the evacuees. Yesterday Dallas started registering refugee children for school, even opening up schools that had previously been closed due to lack of students. Parents are being bussed to school along with their kids, so they can be assured where their kids are going. Evacuated teachers are being hired to teach.

Now I understand why GW seems so ill-equipped to handle disasters: the state he used to govern seeminlgy runs itself! Leaving the governor plenty of time for photo ops, glad handing, and speechifying - things politicians excel at.

God Bless Texas! -And everyone who helps and needs help.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 06:35 PM   #54
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Keep in mind it's not just the people who lost their homes, it housing for rescue workers, reporters, engineers, everyone affected by, related to or supporting the clean up in the area....there is no place to stay right now.
Has anybody run this story to ground yet? I spoke with my local (SOB) RV dealer yesterday and he said that they had been contacted by FEMA, but they were looking for "only certain types of units". He wouldn't elaborate. This dealer must have 200 units on the lot from 15 feet up. He apparently hadn't shipped anything yet. He was very vague about the whole thing. Hummmmm....

Trust me, I completely understand the need and in general support it, but....The Army, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard generally bring their own housing/support systems with them. They constitute by far the largest group involved in this effort. I would hope that we (the taxpayers) are not providing these things for the news media (it's not like they don't have the dang money). Other groups like the Red Cross and Salvation Army generally bring their own. The engineering groups would seem to be a legit bunch for us to support in the short run. As I said earlier, this story seems a little bit "out there".

At any rate, I'd sure like to know the truth of the matter, one way or the other. After all, I'm paying for it.

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 09-11-2005, 09:21 PM   #55
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
FEMA seems to be looking specifically for Travel Trailers, 30-35 feet, with heat, AC and a new warrantee. Many of the major OEMs are building specifically for FEMA at this point.

The corporations effected and the news agencies are buying (from their own funds) other units to house crews, etc.

If you are looking for more information I suggest you register on RVBusiness.com yourself.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:24 PM   #56
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
summerkid,
I finally heard back from FEMA and the RVDA. There is website for the coordination of resources and efforts: www.swern.gov

I think it allows people to post what they can offer.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:43 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
Now I understand why GW seems so ill-equipped to handle disasters: the state he used to govern seeminlgy runs itself
It seems to have become a common truism that the Federal Government in general and President Bush in particular have been culpably inept in the response to the huricane. Yet no particulars are ever offered as to what should have been done, or was not done that should have been.

I know little about it - sadly my only source of news is the newspaper, and one may as well consult augeries as the Associated Press if one wants facts. Yet, I do know that this is, by orders of magnitude, the largest relief effort ever mounted by the Federal Government. I understand (Washington Post?) that this was the fastest time ever for federal relief efforts to hit a storm ravaged area. I expect, but do not know, that there has been plenty of bureaucratic bungling - it seems to be inherent in any bureaucracy. But so far the critics seem snipers shooting at people actully trying to provide help.

Mark
Old 09-11-2005, 10:02 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
I really try not to get involved in political debates
Of course there are facilities to house the people of New Orleans. But to scatter them to the four winds is bootless. They want to return home. Those with jobs will want to resume them. Those who employ people will likewise want them on hand. The Federal response has always been to, wherever possible, restore the community. So temporary housing will be created, at enormous cost.

The war in Afghanistan and Iraq were both declared, by Congress, and passed by substantial majorities. The Iraq declaration involved much debate and was heavily covered by the news media.

POA's (or is it political prisoners - you seem to use the terms interchangably) are returned when hostilities cease, and a government is in place to recieve them. This can take considerable time. In WWII it took well over a year, in some cases. With some of these people the situation is somewhat more difficult as we also are waging a war against Al Qada and its allies - a stateless foe. They have not ceased hostilities. In times past EVERY ONE of the people interned at Guantanomo would have been shot as none were in uniform, and the present embarrassment would not have arisen. I have not heard anyone propose that solution.

We do not recognize Fidel Casto's government. We never have. The US did not put him in power. Is there any reason to believe that needed medical treatment is not already available?

Mark
Old 09-12-2005, 10:22 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
...sadly my only source of news is the newspaper, and one may as well consult augeries as the Associated Press if one wants facts....
Mark
:scratches head: I am not sure why you are only able to extract information from newspapers. If you are posting, I am going to assume you have an internet connection of some kind:
The White House

White House Focus on Hurricane Relief

Sort of back on topic - a hurricane relief center has opened in my town, I will be stopping by to see what sort of things they are asking for.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote