Old 09-05-2005, 09:28 PM   #29
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82
hmsteader,

I'm so tired right now, I can't tell if you're goofing or serious. The Mayor of New Orleans is Ray Nagin, a guy, and if he didn't know that he was supposed to ask the Governor for help, then someone on his staff should have, and he shouldn't be the Mayor.

Frederic
Personally, my perception of Ray leaves a bit to be desired. I've heard a few of his interview and he doesn't seem like much of a politican (which can be a plus and a minus). Though I understand his frustration, some of the things he says like "I'm not one of those druggies, I'm thinking clearly" and a few of his explosions on air and print makes me wonder if he was the best choice for a Mayor in the first place.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 04:56 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I was sort of thinking that every RV manufacturer could donate as many coaches as they could afford to and set them up someplace where folks could get some shelter. I know the government would most likley allow them to write off the costs of the units fully...seems like a win/win to me, but of course, I'm kind of a couch coach.
True, this really is not the time for couch coaches. Rather than expecting the amorphous world of "RV manufacturers" or "insert-someone-else-but-me-here" to donate their precious trailers, it's time for the couch coaches to put their money where their mouth is.

I'm sure the government would give you a tax break too, Eric! Win/win!

Old 09-06-2005, 06:39 AM   #31
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I have been debating whether to post this link for a while, but it seems some besides me is disturbed by all the media frenzy, and political back-slapping, while people are suffering.

Don't go here if your children are close enough to the computer to hear it.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/262703
Old 09-06-2005, 07:43 AM   #32
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Overlander63,

That was one of the best news reports I've seen in a long time....too bad it's a cartoon....maybe Brokaw and the rest can take cue from Foamy the Squirrel.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:02 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

I guess this probably belongs as much in the G W Bush thread, but since we are talking about donating housing and just getting off asses and doing something, I know of a 10,000 s.f. vacation home in Crawford TX that is not being used as the owner is out of state in one of his other houses.

I wonder if that place might be available to house a refugee or two?
Old 09-06-2005, 08:23 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Well here is your chance to get involved if you are in the Boston/Providence/Cape Cod area. There are moving in over 2,500 evacuees to Otis Air Force base. These people will need clothes, toiletries, and a job. Yes Massachussetts has one of the highest costs of living, and housing on the cape is even higher, but they are moving in people to live there for a while.

See article in Cape Cod Times.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:17 AM   #35
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Many of our customers (RV Dealers) have already been tapped by FEMA and are shipping prepped units (travel trailers) to staging areas. In one case a single dealer I know has shipped 300 units already and is working to send up to 700 more. Many of these staging areas allow local organizations to load each trailer with some initial provisions including food, clothing and some basic necessities like soap and towels so they can ship down already inside the trailer.

One thing this dealer did tell me what that while then can prep almost 150 units a week, the real bottleneck is finding enough drivers to get the unit down there. The transporation companies are overwhelmed and they [the dealers] are running out of drivers.

So, putting politics aside for a moment, if you are looking for a small way to help those displaced by this disaster, consider calling your local RV dealerships (Airstream and others) and ask if you can help by hauling a unit to the rally points. I'm sure they would welcome the help and I have no doubt the people receiving these units would appreciate your contribution.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:45 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Talking ATSI- Telephone Answering Services International

Steve Webster - I'm going to copy your post to the ATSI and CEO listserv's. These organizations represent several hundred telephone answering services around the country. These folks are great at getting word out through their clients and friends. Can we get a list of dealerships involved? I'll call the largest one I know north of Richmond and see what we can do. Also I'll post your notice at Indian Cove where I camp most of the time. Perhaps many of the owners there can help tow.

Paula "Tin Lizzie" Ford
Old 09-06-2005, 11:41 AM   #37
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
[font=Verdana][size=2]So, putting politics aside for a moment, if you are looking for a small way to help those displaced by this disaster, consider calling your local RV dealerships (Airstream and others) and ask if you can help by hauling a unit to the rally points. I'm sure they would welcome the help and I have no doubt the people receiving these units would appreciate your contribution.

where do you suppose these "rally points" are? close in to LA/MS/AL? I couldn't afford the gas for such a trip, myself, but if there were staging areas at rail/freight yards that might be almost anywhere....
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:55 AM   #38
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
The dealerships are doing this under federal funding, so their may be a delivery fee included in the price to FEMA. Perhaps this would help offset the cost of delivery for someone who was willing to donate their time to get a unit down there.

I'm not aware of any formal rally points so for now I would suggest just calling your local dealerships and see if they need help. It's been strange in that some dealers more than 750 miles away are very engaged in this process and other in AL, LA have not even been contacted yet. Makes me think this is state FEMA agencies working with local dealerships to support their overwhelmed co-workers in these Southern States.

I'll call a few people I know at the RVDA and see if they have any ideas on how to communicate this, maybe through FMCA, Mfg Groups, Forums, GoRVing, etc.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:11 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I was listening to a radio station over the weekend and they talked about a reporter for Newsweek that had written an article several years ago with details about what would happen if a hurricane struck N.O. This reporter detailed out everything that would happen if the levies broke - he has been correct in everything that he wrote for example about how people would have to get themselves out to safety, 100,000 people would not be evacuated in time, crime, corruption etc..... I will have to try and find the article.
I personally don't know how we can blame the head or Fema or the President for this crisis. For the most part there are plans in place but to me it takes a lot of time to gather these resources up to go in for rescue. Did you know it took a week after the tsunami to get 8 red cross people on the ground in Indonesia. You can't just mobilize overnight to rescue thousands of people. Maybe people like Jesse Jackson could offer help instead of just raising race baiting issues and trying to get media attention.
We selfish Americans want everything done for us and done right now...... That's just not real life.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:22 PM   #40
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Still trying to get a FEMA contact but until then...

I do know that Tom Stinnett RV is trying to get ten units from Clarksville Indiana (Louisville, KY) to Alabama. There is a delivery fee that will be paid to the driver.

For anyone interested or willing please contact Bob Wiegand at 1-800-583-5685
Old 09-06-2005, 04:46 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Thank you, thank you, Steven, for posting something we can act on. I'm willing & available ... problem is, I just talked to Bob but my Chevy S-10 isn't big enough for any of his units. His are all 26-30' regular travel trailers.

Anybody have a half- or 3/4-ton truck they're not using? He said call right back if I can scrounge one up!

I'm also considering just loading the Chevy up with a can opener & jugs of water & other basics & heading to N.O.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:22 PM   #42
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Thumbs up

curious about this. How does one deal w/ weight distribution/anti-sway in such a situation? I understand that many RVs are delivered to their buyers by independant contractors who are towing w/ pickup trucks....but WD equipment needs to be installed on the RV itself, not just the truck.

my extremely moderate 1/2 ton could possibly handle such a rig...but not without wd.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote