Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2018, 05:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Airstream Classifieds- Excellent for all members!

A person who called me that needed these for a '25 footer' and some of the dialogue through telephone and emails. I still have the Segment Protectors and will have to remove SOLD on the advertisement, shortly.

Advertised on the Airstream Classifieds: Unused factory Segment Protectors- pair for $750 for 2006 and later Airstreams (originally purchased for spare for a 2006 23 foot Safari, but same as larger trailers and post 2006 models.) Abbreviated so not to put you asleep immediately.

October 19th or so. Phone Call... “do I still have?” Yes.
“I want them but I would have to come from California. Can you give me a better price as I have to come to Las Vegas?” OK.

“I will fly into Las Vegas. Would they be less than 55”? That is the largest check in carton size for the airline. I will rent a car, pick them up from you, take them to the Airport.” OK and YES, I gave exact dimensions.

October 22nd. “Thanks for holding them for me. I need approximate weight and your address. Will you be available on Thursday October 25th?” Yes.

October 24th. “I would like to wait until our next Vegas Trip, December or January. I will send you a check out today.”

October 24th. A scan of the addressed envelope with a postage stamp applied is received.

October 25th. Phone call message. “Call me if you received my check.”

October 26th. “You did not call me yesterday.” Yes. I did not as the check did not arrive.

“Maybe I should stop payment on the check.” Yes. Maybe you should. You might want to purchase from someone you trust. You have called me three times and you said you could buy a set from Airstream in Ohio. You are the first person to send me a scan of an envelope with a postage stamp applied. (At least now I had HIS name and address.)

October 29th. No check. No phone call. No email.

The Airstream Classifieds are an excellent way to purchase from screened SELLERS. But, trust me... this guy was changing the conditions of what, where and when faster than I can type. Beware of BUYERS at times, as well.

If it seems odd and does not make any sense, check it out on your end.

(I did not write down the first encounter date and conversations on the telephone. I took much of this off of emails.)
Old 10-29-2018, 06:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Ray, ...if they are still for-sale... Do you think they'd help me out in THIS sort of encounter if I mount them up HIGH and in the REAR?
Will you take a Czech? I'll be travelling from Nigeria so it'll be a few days...

If so... I'll be happy to meet you in Vegas some night...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LeftRear.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	326603  
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Boxite: The 'certified' check will be in the mail... some day soon.

Please send to me the excess amount on this Certified Check. I will have someone pickup your trailer after the excess amount of overpayment, made through a clerical office error, is received. Tanks alot.

The first and last time I was taken was for $68. The check was received and the geology books were sent via USPS. It was on an Airlines personal banking account.

The check returned as 'Account Closed' about ten days after I sent the books.

Later to discover I was one of many. I called the South Chicago Police Station as this is the area they cover. They could not help.

We all contacted the USPS. They sent Postal Inspectors over to the home. They would make all of these bad checks... good. They did... nothing.

I later find this person working for a Bookstore in Chicago and asked for this person. I asked "where is my reimbursement for the bad check".

"Soon."

Well, it never did come and I assume no one else's as well. The USPS Postal Inspectors did nothing further.

I did, later, find my books purchased with the bad check being reviewed on this persons website.

I kept this check to show to those who I do not know and want to buy my Airstream, Home or pair of used shoes with a check.

I also have a 'Certified Check' for Physics and technical Geology books to go to an Orphanage in Florida. I kept it as well. It was for $2,450. A mistake was made and they left messages every day for ten days for me to send to them the 'over payment'.

I contacted the college in California and sent them a scan. "Yes, a fake check on our account."

After the time it would take for this check to bounce and return to my bank... the calls quit.

We old timers have been there and seen about everything.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
The saying buyer beware also goes for seller beware. When buying from any ad, the seller always have you meet at a store, or bank for large amounts. Trust is no more. Be careful Ray...it's a different world out there.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I successfully sold my old Trade Wind on the Classifieds. I successfully purchased my Overlander on the Classifieds. I successfully sold the oven out of my Overlander on the Classifieds. The process works when the parties are earnest. Human Bean, it appears you did every thing right.

I agree the Airstream Classifieds are a great resource for trailers and parts. I agree the transaction ought to happen face to face.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Today... the scan of a letter with postage... arrived. Halloween prank or Trick or Treat?

Notice anything unusual about this letter, other than my address? Obviously a person who may read the Forums, and may also work at the Post Office in California.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	326750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan 1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	326751  

Old 10-31-2018, 07:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Thanks, Ray. We bought our Foretravel via the Foretravel forum from a private party. Our coach had been "sold" to someone who wanted to pay a hundred or so every so often (asking price as somewhere around $35,000 as I recall). After a couple of those checks over a two-month period the sellers returned his money and told him to save up until he could pay cash for what he wanted. They then reposted the coach, and that's when we went to see it.

I've looked at some dealers' inventories, but not found what we want listed there (probably too old), so most likely we'll buy from the Classifieds. I just hope that when the day comes that we are actually looking to buy that the right coach will be offered by someone who has been a forum member for more that a day.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
. . .
Notice anything unusual about this letter, other than my address?
. . .
There is no cancellation mark over the stamp. Hand-delivered into your mailbox? Yet the bottom has the typical PO coding.

Hmmmm.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:39 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
I have successfully sold several items including an Airstream, using the forums. Recently I sold a hitch, and the buyer wanted me to hold it until he was passing thru my area so he could pick it up. He offered to pay in full and promptly mailed me a check. After I received it I decided to not cash it until I delivered the hitch. When I told him my plan he insisted I cash it, so I did. Perfect buyers, and they have courtesy parking too so I might see them again.
On my more expensive generators sold in the classifieds we used Apple Pay Cash. Works great if the buyer and seller both have iPhones.
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
We bought our Airstream after reading about it in the classifieds in this site.
It was parked in the sellers yard (Fredricksburg, TX) about 80 miles from us. We looked at it, agreed on a price, and we created a "letter of intent" listing the details...both of us keeping a copy. I left a 10% earnest money check which he deposited next day and it cleared my bank in two more days. I sold some stock and a week later mailed him the rest of the money in a personal check and told him to call me when it cleared. (He called me every day to tell me he was still suspicious of my check.) It cleared in four days (over a weekend.)
The following week we drove over and executed the Bill of Sale and he signed the Title over to me, and I towed it straight home and registered it in my county.

He was a pain in the arse scared to death of a personal check but for the life of me I cannot figure out why, because the Airstream remained in his yard until his bank assured him the cash was in his account. He still wanted to wait another day ...so I gave him another weekend before we went over to get it. But all is well that ends well and we love our little Airstream.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I, somewhere on the Forum, made mention of selling our 2014 25 Foot International on the Airstream Classifieds.

The buyer wanted to see the trailer he was interested in person, living in the Las Vegas area. Mine was listed and he contacted me immediately.

Nancy gave the potential buyer the complete inside tour and I the exterior tour. We pointed out how everything operates and demonstrated how to check and test any Airstream, before buying OUR trailer, or any other seller's trailer.

I like the confirmation process used to offer anything for sale on this site. Nancy set up the passwords and I did the text and what photographs I had available.

We met at his bank, spoke with the bank representative who handed over the check, we handed over the Bill of Sale and signed the title over to the new owner.

I renewed my Supporting Membership for more than the Minimum and appreciated the opportunity to use the security for the seller and for the buyer to sign onto for access.

We could not have been happier with the couple who purchased our Airstream. We also sold the trailer at a price that made everyone else selling similar models appear expensive. He had a plan and ourselves, being a soft hearted couple... wanted to help with his own living his dream. Taking less money on our end was never an issue.

Our Airstream went to a good home. A young couple with a dream... and I tear up a bit missing our Airstream but know it went to a good home.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:54 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Earlier this week I sold a group of Gold Mining books to a buyer from a Craiglist ad and he drove the 4 1/2 hours to Boulder City, NV from southern California.

He was less than 50 miles from this original... Segment Protector buyer's town.

I received a second email from another person to a Craigslist Ad offering the Segment Protectors:

"We live in Kansas but will be in Tucson next week. With its size can this item be shipped safely and cost effectively?"

This is the second email from this individual. October 28th and today November 2nd.

I may need more psychological assistance than expected... is it me?

My last sentences of my Craigslist post:

(This is a local pickup. These were sold to me without being in a carton at the factory. If you cannot pick it up in Boulder City, Nevada ask a friend who is coming to Las Vegas and give them $50 to play the Slots. Those retailers selling these want $180 to ship to you.)
Old 11-02-2018, 06:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Maybe you do need some physiological assistance. I'll help... maybe.

Dealing with John Q. Public is always tough. What may be in John's mind is not in yours. It sounds like your for sale ad was complete and thorough. Earnest buyers will respond in kind. "Tire kickers" are just folks you have to put up with until the right person comes along and buys the protectors. Don't fret. Think rhino skin. Real thick.

I can only imagine what used car sales people go through every week. They get used to it.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have bought and sold a few items on the Airstream classified. Each time I was either buying from, or selling to, an Air Forums member. Other than that watch out for the scammers.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
(Another example why the Airstream Classifieds are a SAFE and a great source for buyers and sellers.)

My latest example of a Craigslist response to my Airstream Segment Protectors listing:

"Hello, I am interested in this recreational vehicle, What is your final Price?

Dean."

Obviously someone who is buying his Airstream a piece at a time. Good luck Dean. Maybe start with 'lug nuts' and work up. Not from Segment Protectors on the front to Tail Lights on the back of an Airstream.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Tuesday November 6th, 12:50PM. Craigslist Email:

Hi Ray, Do you still have these protectors? If so, can I pick up tomorrow? David

Tuesday November 6th, 12:56PM. Telephone Call.

"Do you still have these protectors?" Yes.

"What is a good time to pick them up." What is convenient for you? Do you live in the Las Vegas area?

"Yes."

"How would be between 10AM to 12AM? Can I have your address?" Give me a call when you plan to come and I can give you directions.

It is not unusual on Craigslist calls that they change their mind and you spend the day waiting. Get a specific time. The telephone number was a Victorville, California number, but that is how cell phones move around.

A call three minutes earlier, when we were not home did not leave a message was a local southern Nevada call. Possibly a Get out the Vote call, but from a Google Search a possible Scam Number was associated with the number. The name associated with the number... David.

If tomorrow completes the Saga of the Segment Protectors... I will have my last Post to this Thread.