Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2011, 06:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
Angry Airstream Bambi Scam

Please pass the word, there is a scam going on at Craigs list......A 2005 Safari Bambi, being offered for $8,000.00....Showed up at Nashville Tn, yesterday afternoon, then at Las Vegas, Nv. Last night, and then today it is in Salt Lake City, Utah.......Pass the word......This trailer actually sold in Winston Salem, Nc. about 3 weeks ago on E-bay....

Thanks, Ole-red
ole-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:10 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Ugh... which scam scenario is it? Are they claiming to be moving out of town to help their sister who's ill? Or claiming to be the spouse of someone in the military who was killed in action?

Flag the craigslist ads before they hook someone who doesn't know about the scam.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
Thumbs up Bambi Scam

I already flagged craigs list last night and this morning as well......Also had the guy reply to my e-mail that I sent yesterday evening saying I wanted the trailer......He is traveling in business and he has to unload this quickly.....He is going by the name of John Donovan, 1970@gmail.com.
ole-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Ah, a new pretext. Still the same escrow scam though, I assume? You pay sight-unseen and it'll supposedly be delivered to you and you'll have 3 days/5 days/whatever to "return" it.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 02-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Craigs list....again....still

They have moved from the Bambi.....still a scam. I hope they don't snag someone. Pass the info around if you will. Craigslist in numerous cities.
Trailer Airstream Safari 25FB LE SE Travel 2007 - $8500 (mi)
Old 02-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Honestly, why would ANYONE buy something from Craigslist? If it isn't a scam, then the quality is usually much worse than advertised.

Most people with a legitimate product to sell will list that product in other venues in addition to Craigslist, if only to increase their potential market. Like the classified ads in the local newspaper in whatever town they claim to live in. Or eBay. If I found ANYTHING for sale on Craigslist, and didn't find the same item listed anywhere else, I'd automatically assume it's a scam, and stay FAR away!
Old 02-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Honestly, why would ANYONE buy something from Craigslist? If it isn't a scam, then the quality is usually much worse than advertised.

Most people with a legitimate product to sell will list that product in other venues in addition to Craigslist, if only to increase their potential market. Like the classified ads in the local newspaper in whatever town they claim to live in. Or eBay. If I found ANYTHING for sale on Craigslist, and didn't find the same item listed anywhere else, I'd automatically assume it's a scam, and stay FAR away!
You never know. I bought our Argosy via a Craigslist listing. It was in our local Craigslist, and located just 12 miles from the house. If anything, it was better than advertised... he didn't even have any photos in the listing (but sent me some before I went to see it.)

It's quite true that there are lots of bad listings, but I don't think the outright scams are more than about 10% of the listings in TX, OK, AR and LA where I'm regularly looking (even though we already have a trailer... it's an illness.) They tend to be easy to spot if you're reading critically, and really easy to spot in the first contact if the ad itself isn't a giveaway.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
They have moved from the Bambi.....still a scam. I hope they don't snag someone. Pass the info around if you will. Craigslist in numerous cities.
Trailer Airstream Safari 25FB LE SE Travel 2007 - $8500 (mi)
I've been flagging those for a week or two in TX/OK/AR/LA listings where my app finds them. The first time I saw that I read through to see if it was some wrecked/hail-totaled trailer, but it had the clear stench of the "escrow service" scam on it so I decided to flag them.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Burlington , Vermont
I've been emailing with the guy with the 2007 Safari. I
ve gotten two replies. What should I do? Other than obviously not put any money up.

Any ideas? Should we call the guy from Dateline's 'To Catch a Predator'?

This is entertaining.
MORA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:37 AM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORA View Post
I've been emailing with the guy with the 2007 Safari. I
ve gotten two replies. What should I do? Other than obviously not put any money up.

Any ideas? Should we call the guy from Dateline's 'To Catch a Predator'?

This is entertaining.
1 - Ask the "seller" for the Airstream VIN. If he gives you a VIN, it's easy to verify if it's a legitimate number.

2 - Ask for a guided tour of the trailer before you agree to anything, and tell him that if you like it, you'll conduct the purchase and take possession while you're there. If it's a scam, those are conditions that he absolutely will refuse to meet. These scams rely upon the "I'll ship it to you" aspect in order to work. Besides, has there EVER been an Airstream owner who wasn't proud to show it off, no matter what condition it's in?

3 - If he does agree to sell, also insist on seeing the title and registration to the unit. If he doesn't have a title and registration, he likely isn't the legal owner. A legitimate owner has the option of applying to the DMV for a replacement to a lost title so there's little excuse not to have one, unless he still owes money on it, in which case you need to have the lien-holder be a party to the sale as well.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #11

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Harrow , Ontario
Looks like a duck, walks like a duck.....

I've followed up with a:
Thomas Goldberg <tomgld6309@gmail.com>
and managed to get this VIN:
1STCPAA177J530868
and this link to pictures:
Photo Album - Imgur
(notice: no license plates)
"He is an oceanographer suddenly called away on an emergency from the NorthWest Territories."
I offered to inspect the trailer where it is: Teslin Airport. BUT, no can do, the escrow firm: J.P. Morgan Logistics Group MUST be able to act as the intermediary and be in receipt of the funds before inspection.
Hmmmmmmm.

Thanks to all of you for this Thread (without my tongue-in-cheek)
Fractal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Caveat emptor ... don't put down Craig's List; it provides a great venue for all sorts of folks offering all sorts of items... often at very fair prices. The problem is when the item is too good to be true, folks just don't check out the offering prior to a financial committment.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
In the mid Florida (Tampa, Orlando, Lakeland) area Craigslist, there have been NUMEROUS Airstream scams this past week. All are under $3000, but at least five different model trailers have been used.

The scammers are bombarding the site unfortunately, but the local community has been rather vigilant in flagging them.
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal View Post
"He is an oceanographer suddenly called away on an emergency from the NorthWest Territories."
Exactly what constitutes an oceanographic emergency? Is one drying up? Did they find a new one?
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:54 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
Quote:

We have had luck selling things on craigslist. Our "legitimate product" was a Willy's jeep, sold to a guy who wanted to restore it to add to his collection. When we tried to sell this on ebay, we had no luck.

Local papers and ebay charge for listing, craigslist does not. It also gets your item to a much larger audience. There is always bad with something good. Buyer beware.

However, if you find fault with craigslist because items are used, I don't see you enjoying antique stores, flea markets, thrift stores, used car lots or vintage trailers.

When looking at an item, I like to imagine where it's been. If walls could talk type of thing. In a "new" store, its a box truck & assembly line. In a "used" store, someone loved it enough to not throw it away! Do I want your old socks, or worn out sofa, no, but a creaky antique rocking chair, or my 1950's stove made by GM, or our antique enamelware, those are great finds for us!!
CampUnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #16

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal View Post
I've followed up with a:
Thomas Goldberg <tomgld6309@gmail.com>
and managed to get this VIN:
1STCPAA177J530868
and this link to pictures:
Photo Album - Imgur
(notice: no license plates)
I offered to inspect the trailer where it is: Teslin Airport. BUT, no can do, the escrow firm: J.P. Morgan Logistics Group MUST be able to act as the intermediary and be in receipt of the funds before inspection.
Hmmmmmmm.
One thing I do know, if there's already an escrow firm involved, the seller owes money on it. An escrow firm is not needed unless; (1) the seller still owes money on it and the finance company wants its mortgage repaid (and they, not the owner, would be the ones to hand over the title); or (2) the buyer is taking out a loan to pay for it, and the finance company wants to get the title to hold until the mortgage is paid. Having an escrow firm involved before there is even a buyer means that case (1) applies.

On the other hand, no legitimate escrow firm would deny a potential buyer the right to inspect before the sale. They are in the business of facilitating the purchase, not impeding it.

I wonder if anyone at Jackson Center could confirm that the VIN is genuine?
Old 08-30-2012, 01:40 AM   #17

Edmonton , Alberta
J.P. Morgan Logistics Group

Letter number 1

Hi and thank you for your interest in my 2006 Coachmen Freelander. It's safety and e-tested. This vehicle has absolutely no mechanical problems,no accidents,the engine has no leaks or problems. I'm letting it go with shipping and handling included. The vehicle is located in Yukon Territory ready to be delivered to its buyer with all the necessary documents. Because I travel a lot due to my job as Oceanographer I'm not able to close the deal by myself so I'll use only a third party to handle the sale. They will monitor and transact the exchange of the money, ownership documents and vehicle.

Please note that it's priced for an urgent sale and my free time is limited so I will spend the time & effort dealing only with those who are real potential buyers. So if you are really interested in buying contact me and I'll explain you how the sale would take place. Also, I can send you more pics.

2006 Coachmen Freelander 3100 SO

Mileage: 14,826 KM
Length: 31
Slide outs: 1
Awnings: 1
Sleeping capacity: 6
Air conditioners: 1
Transmission: Automatic
Price: $17,000.00
Thank You,
Walter

Letter number 2

Hi, Water Tank Capacity: 43gal.
The transaction will be handled by J.P. Morgan Logistics Group (an escrow service). In order to initiate the transaction I will need your full name and the address where the vehicle to be delivered. After this J.P. Morgan will contact you with further details. The deal would go like this:

You have to transfer the funds (refundable) to be held in escrow, to one of their representative trough bank transfer. This is only to prove them that you own the necessary funds to complete a possible purchase. They will hold the funds until you receive and inspect the vehicle. Once the funds are confirmed by their bank, the delivery will start in 24 hours and it will last 5 days until it gets to your address. You will have 7 days for inspection from the moment the vehicle arrives at your address. If the vehicle is not like I have described it you have the right to cancel everything and J.P. Morgan will refund your money in maximum 2 working days and the vehicle will be returned on my expense. This way I know that you have the money and you have time to inspect it before committing to purchase it, knowing that I don't have access to the funds. That would be a fair & safe arrangement for both of us.

Look forward to hearing from you soon
Thank you
Bruce

What do you think about this?
Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:17 AM   #18
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
When JP Morgan contacts you how do you know who they are? It reeks of a scam IMHO.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Oceanographer, again? When will they come up with something new? It's a scam. Definitely.

Two different names on the letters, Walter and Bruce, but no surname in either case.

If it's an urgent sale, why not invite people to come inspect it and take delivery as-is, where-is? That's a whole lot faster than trying to conduct business through the mail.

Go to the JP Morgan Logistics Group website. You won't find it because there isn't one. There is no such organization as the JP Morgan Logistics Group. There is a company called "JP Morgan Global Trade and Logistics" but they handle international corporate accounts, not private transations like the sale of a trailer or motorhome

Try the Better Business Bureau as well. You won't find JP Morgan Logistics Group listed there, either. It doesn't exist under that name.

If an escrow account is needed, you can set one up at your own bank. No need to use his bank. Banks talk to each other, and your bank could confirm to his bank that you have the funds held in escrow. "Escrow" does not mean relinquishing the funds to someone else's control, it just means that the funds are reserved so they can't be spent on anything else in the meantime. Your bank would then release the funds to his bank once you receive the trailer, confirm that it's in the condition described, and all of the paperwork clears, including receipt of the title.

My advice…

Mail fraud is a crime. Take the letters, and the envelopes they came in if tyou still have them, to your nearest post office, and ask to speak to a postal inspector. Sic the dogs on the guy.

If it was e-mail rather than letters, same thing, except it's the FBI instead of the postal inspectors.

If they investigate and find that it wasn't really a fraud, and was just someone who doesn't know how to conduct a sale, no harm done. If it was a fraud, then the guy might get caught and prosecuted.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
No harm in raising awareness, but seriously, if I posted to the Forums every Airstream trailer scam I have seen on C-list, I'd have 1000 posts by now.

In defense of Craigslist, I have bought and sold tons of stuff, and my negative experiences have been few. Yes, I have run into the scams, but they are extremely easy to spot. My general rule is no money prior to seeing the product first hand, and communicate via phone as soon as possible. No phone number, and any references to escrow services, regardless how legitimate sounding, and I walk away.

As an interesting aside, I did find a 2002 Bambi that was being offered for $5500. The add got flagged over and over again, but the guy kept reposting. I spoke to him on the phone and arranged a visit. The trailer was about 3 hours away. When I got there to see it, it turned out that the trailer had a salvage title and it looked like it had been pulled into a telephone pole on the street side front corner, then dragged against the pole for the length of the coach, and then the rear corner smunched as well. This guy had pulled out some of the interior pannels and tried to hammer the shell back into shape. What a mess. Now that I am over a year into the refurb of the trailer I ended up with, I almost regret not buying the Bambi. Even replacing three formed panels in the front and three in the back probably wouldn't have taken as long as the shell-off that I am currently in the midst of.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote