Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2015, 12:26 PM   #1
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Airbnb

I would love peoples input on Airbnb, has anyone used it with an Airstream trailer? Either as the renter or rentee?

Here is the airbnb website.... https://www.airbnb.ca/

I know most of the Airstream crowd on here are in the no uses my trailer but me camp, but I have three so I am much less attached to two of them and I am thinking extra cash to pump back in to them would be nice. They are on my property and would be in eye site so I feel a little safer than those whose trailers are stored away from them.

I am mostly thinking of the out of town wedding guest kind of crowd and maybe making it somewhat full service enlisting my teens as babysitters for guests with children while the adults attend a wedding or event, but I am also thinking it would be nice for folks who don't have an Airstream but are thinking about purchasing one, to be able to stay in one for a few days to see if they like the Airstream lifestyle before making a big purchase.

I have talked to the area bylaw officer and he said technically it is not allowed in my municipality but he said they do not enforce it unless there are multiple complaints.

So what are your opinions?
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:37 PM   #2
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I am not aware of anyone doing this but I have heard of Airstream campgrounds where the trailers do not move - more like a hotel/motel situation.

I really like your concept. If you're in a location where people want to visit it's a cool/hip way to stay someplace out of the ordinary. Add to that the idea of babysitting and extra amenities and you may have just the ticket!

I say ignore the bylaws/ordinances for now and give it a try. Easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. The bylaws/ordinances will catch up as things like Airbnb and Uber take hold.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:40 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Westport , Connecticut
Absolutely do it! There are some available already in CA. Have you found any others? It's such a charming concept especially if you are not breaking any laws.

I LOVE airbnb. I use it often, and I rent out my own home too, so I've been on both ends.

Let us know if you end up renting them and we can all share your link!

Kira
KiraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:51 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I would not be afraid to rent a place for me to stay on airBNB, but I would not want to rent my own place out to someone I didn't know. I realize the bad outcomes are the exception rather than the rule and that they insure you to undo the damage as much as possible, but I doubt I'd feel better about it if I were the exceptional case.

AirBNB disaster rental

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:53 PM   #5
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
We have rented several dozen places with AirBNB, it's well established. And the community usually keeps things in check.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:32 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You should find some AirBnB rentals in your area and contact them and see how their experience has been. Personally, it's not my thing, but I know it is very popular. I have seen folks in the Portland area basically renting out renovated sheds! I guess an Airstream would be pretty lux compared to that!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
One concern would be what the guests might flush down the toilet. We are always careful to flush only black water tank compatible things, but I'm not sure how you would get stuff out of the black water tank if it wouldn't move through the drain.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote