Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Thumbs up Air Forums Culture

I have only been a member of the Air Forums & the Airstream Community for a few months. I have a positive comment I would like to make about the culture of the Air Forums and Air Forums members. Unlike many other forums, the members of the Air Forums are always positive and supportive of new members with questions that have been asked many times in the past on the Air Forums. Air Forums members always provide information or very clear guidance to the source of the needed information. New members are always greeted with a warm welcome and extensive help without question. I hope this will always be the culture of the Air Forums and the membership.

Just my two cents that I thought needed to be shared.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Make it 4 cents....it's rare that folks get cross, and when they do, they usually get over it quickly.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
As a relatively new member I have also made the same observation. I suspect like many of us I am on several different forums and this is the most friendly and inclusive that I have come across. Snooty comments are thankfully rare and even the “know it all’s” show restraint.
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Agreeing with all of the above.

A nice place to visit, good people and plenty of support/help when you need it.

A little bit of everything to be found here, including a red-light district!

Maggie
Old 01-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Agreed!!!!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I've been here since 2003 - before I bought my trailer - and I don't know how I could have gone from 'complete newbie who's never towed anything' to 'happy owner of a vintage airstream I refurbished myself' without all the friendly help I've gotten here over the years. Airstreams seem to attract a very cool group of people!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bud, glad to hear you noticed.

To some extent, the Forum is self policing. There was a member who increasingly criticized new people for not searching properly as if a new member would know where to look and how to use the not-all-that-great search function.

More and more other members put him on "ignore" and conversations behind the scenes about him were more and more negative. Eventually he seemed to get the message and withdrew (it was more complex, but he got the idea). He much later came back and couldn't control himself. Now he's gone again and fortunately has not come back. I don't know if the mods played a role in this, but members got outspoken when the nastiness had gone on too long. It is also an example to all of us of how a well known and once respected member who gets personally nasty needs to go.

I notice another member who has found it necessary to insult those who disagree with him has been a lot quieter lately. He was also confronted by members and maybe others.

The culture has to be enforced in some way and seems pretty gentle here. It is the opposite of many blogs and Congress.

The idea that we all need help at some time and helping others is part of the deal makes this thing work.

There is also a tradition of silliness that can help reduce tensions.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #8

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
This is truly a great forum and one of the reasons I went with Airstream vrs an SOB. It's a great place to learn and socialize with other like minded people. Ive made a ton of new life long friends on this forum.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
This forum has taken owning a vintage Airstream from being a puzzle to being a pleasure. The tone of helpfulness on the forum has a lot to do with that.

There is a lot to know about Airstreams, and no one comes in knowing it all. So we're all newbies in some area or other. I think that helps keep us open.

I love that the community is so varied, from people whose first action with their "new" Airstream is to get out the cutting torch and welder, to those whose first concerns are the pattern on the throw cushions. There is a place for it all. We all have something to learn from each other.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I agree ... I believe the Airforums' positive culture has something to do with the with the aura of Airstreams in general and our fascination with them. There is just something about the kind of folks who chose Airstreams over other RVs that compels us to want to help others enjoy their Airstream as much as we do by freely sharing what we know... And if we don't know the answer they need, we are at least willing to offer moral support. Sure, there are a few grumps here and there, but they are definitely in the minority. It is a happy place to be....for everyone.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Certainly agree with all of the positive comments. The folks on the forum have always responded quickly to my quetions and in a positive manner.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #12
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I participate on another forum also and to the Guys and Gals of Airforum:

You have been very helpful, informative and I really enjoy checking Airforums and looking for a topic of interest.

Thanks to all.

I think one thing that makes this a great group is our common interest, its some form of CAMPING and I'll claim almost a 45 yr camping history starting with BSA tent camping our family time mostly in State Parks, campers are nice people, helpful and willing to help, assist and enjoy. But what also makes Airforums unique is Guys and Gals participate and no (inside guidelines) topic seems out of the realm of discussion from AS fixes, TV's, hitches, tires, sex, cooking, rallies, repairs of all types, beer, places to go, electronics, pets, pictures, look what I found!, mistakes, triumphs and the list goes on and on. Plus we favor one of the most interesting, unusual, everyone knows what they look like American Made TT's that exist. But I'll gladly park next to anyone that enjoys camping and if they like to cook over an open fire, SO MUCH THE BETTER!

Looking forward to our 1st Rally and meeting fellow AS owners at Myrtle Beach SC, Ocean Lakes.

Best Regards,

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
I just want to say thank you to Ridgerunner3 and the others for the kind comments. It's so wonderful when people noticed and acknowledge the good things that other people do. I really appreciate you for that! Take care and have a great day!!
Carlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Thumbs up An Awesome Website!!

I would also like to thank everyone here that gave me such a warm welcome and such a great wealth of information!!!!

Ten ********** Stars, for sure!!
TRfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #15
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

There is also a tradition of silliness that can help reduce tensions.

Gene
But of course Gene was the first one to post a reply on "The Argue Thread"
Kinda started the ball rolling.
That one cuts a lot of tension. If a thread gets out of control, Gene may refer them to that thread.
But, I agree that this is a great group and being here a little less than 3 years, I have learned a lot.
regards,
Joe
Old 01-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Yes, The Argue Thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ead-60297.html

Some of us have multiple personality problems.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Agreed!

Although, I did have member (that I won't name) who felt the need to private message me about the video I posted telling me that "good videos are good to see but the gum chewing is not pleasant."

I've often wondered if she has such a disdain for gum chewing that she couldn't help herself or if just likes to send private criticisms.

**shrug**

Lynn
2005 19' Safari, Toyota Tundra
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
I have only been a member of the Air Forums & the Airstream Community for a few months. I have a positive comment I would like to make about the culture of the Air Forums and Air Forums members. Unlike many other forums, the members of the Air Forums are always positive and supportive of new members with questions that have been asked many times in the past on the Air Forums. Air Forums members always provide information or very clear guidance to the source of the needed information. New members are always greeted with a warm welcome and extensive help without question. I hope this will always be the culture of the Air Forums and the membership.

Just my two cents that I thought needed to be shared.
I believe some lives have been saved because of the good information here.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #19

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcurrie
Agreed!

Although, I did have member (that I won't name) who felt the need to private message me about the video I posted telling me that "good videos are good to see but the gum chewing is not pleasant."

I've often wondered if she has such a disdain for gum chewing that she couldn't help herself or if just likes to send private criticisms.

**shrug**

Lynn
Omg! I was going to say something about the gum but I thought the video was excellent! . So I refrained!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:47 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
Omg! I was going to say something about the gum but I thought the video was excellent! . So I refrained!
Ha!

lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote