Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
AimZero- zero grid, zero feul, zero discomfort, zero nonsense.

Hi, I would love if we had a dedicated forum for people striving to be green, 100% off the grid and off fossil fuels completely, but for now I would like to try to organize the best of the best threads and have clear links to the state of the art technologies. I would like to keep this account clear of any other type of post. That should provide a clear post history, dedicated to green tech.
I have been living in a 74 31' for three years. When I first bought the trailer I had big plans for lifting the airstream and adding water tanks. The metal and axles were stolen by scrappers but that has given me more time to discover what I'm really after, and opened the plans up to different options/materials, as opposed to using what was found cheap and limiting possibilities. Along those same lines of logic the airstream is about to hit the chopping block.
So this is it, this is my last ditch effort to save the airstream. I could sell the Airstream and start from scratch. I have been messing around with a plan to build a trailer from aluminum (sips), and that would let me focus my energies onto pure efficiency and blueprints the rest of the world can follow. It is looking VERY atrractive on every front, even style wise, stealth can be very important at times.

I'm on the fence, but strongly leaning towards selling. I come here in hopes of finding a solid technological reason to keep the airstream that outweighs other options. Regardless of which path I choose, many of the technologies would be the same and Airforums needs a better way to organize the latest and most efficient advancements, to better intergrate systems and disciplines. Airforums is just not setup for that kind of conversation. This has been my gripe for years it's the reason I have been away, and has possibly lead to me giving up on the airstream design, it sure isn't adding to the experience and was more of a source of frustration than anything. Anyways, we are going to come together to teach each other in a nonconfusing organized manner, or throw these newbies to the woods and wonder what happened. Anyways, the last time I brought it up I was told to do something about it, so here it is.

If somebody has not already done so, please start a new thread in the topics you are the most informed about, with the added "AimZero" in the title. This signifies a thread for people to post links to the most clear cut information. It may be the most viewed thread or something that has migrated to the shadows, but each thread should start assuming the reading has zero knowledge and ending with an always growning list of advancements toward absolute zero negative impacts, and zero NEED to hook to the grid. Zero discussion. If you would like to discuss different aspects start a new thread for that aspect and link it.

Example:
Title- AimZero, Heating water
Body header message- Aimzero = aiming to have zero emissions, zero NEED for the grid, zero conversation promoting zero nonsense/redundant/outdated information on the state of the art technologies that bring us closer to zero. Any discussions should start elsewhere and link back to provide quick and easy navigation. You can title those discussions as "Aim"-etc.

Hot water production practices:

Links to factory water heater improvements/modifications
*links
* reply links posted here

More efficient types of fossil feul water heaters that currently exist. Discuss concepts not brand. (brands if allowed, they deserve credit)
*links
*replies

Solar water heater concepts that exist
*links
*reply links

DIY solar heat

Electric water heaters

Instant heaters

Systems approach techniques

Conceptual, still in development, or technolgy that has yet to cross over to the rv community.

All in all, there are so many great answers going under utilized. We could do better and I would like a place to discuss everyone's latest thoughts. I think we need to take the whole systems approach and that will require people that know these individual systems very well. That's where we will find the points of wasted energy and by talking together maybe someone can come up with a way to recycle that energy to use in the systems they know, thus reducing energy demand.

Yes, I my life's current mission is to build a completely off grid, off feul, life support system on wheels. Sips may be the way to go but why not throw one more insane demand in the mix and encase all of this in an airstream. Aim zero probably won't happen but if you have thoughts, I am all ears.
greenlinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I have a thought, but I am afraid I have already placed this in wrong spot.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
The problem with RV-ing is that it's an inherently energy intensive activity. Tow vehicles, typically, aren't the most fuel efficient vehicles there are and towing itself uses a good deal of fossil fuel.

If we really wanted to be green, we'd all be tent camping and hiking.

As a self proclaimed tree hugger I've been struggling with this quite a bit - I love nature, but owning an Airstream, or any trailer really, isn't being all that friendly to the planet. In effect, I am putting my personal comfort first.

I alleviate my guilt by using a TV that's fuel efficient, by not using generators, by maximizing solar, not using paper plates or Keurig coffee makers. Still, ever now and then I am thinking I should sell the trailer and buy a sailboat instead....
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
I have a thought, but I am afraid I have already placed this in wrong spot.
Yeah, this kind of thing won't work from the bottom up and half thought out. Oh well, I half tried and hope somebody up there will make a new forum.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Blenheim , Ontario
Its all a matter of $ , time , and research. Closest thing I've seen to Complete "off grid" is a Earth Ship. But its not mobile.
Cyquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
The problem with RV-ing is that it's an inherently energy intensive-----
If we really wanted to be green, we'd all be tent camping and hiking.--
As a self proclaimed tree hugger I've been struggling with this quite a bit - I love nature....
It doesn't have to be. I'm talking about walls 9" -12" thick, completely on solar, high efficiency systems, green materials that are also good for your health, an extra freezer under the couch to lessen food wrapper waste and trips to the store. I would still like to have a dishwasher and drink coffee, but power it with solar. I would still have gas and I would sacrifice weight to have both options to provide built in fail safes. Keeping myself alive is the greenest thing I can do because I am just that awesome.. lol. I live in it 100% and tow it a few times a year. The added weight of towing solar and batteries will not negate the energy saved.

Towing it around the country for fun is another story. I have left that story for another date in time because of conditions that have yet to change. The world is still ran by idiots.
This is my home, any less and I would be homeless, the government says I already am. I have deleted my commute by living at the home I am remodeling, and already use a truck for work. I do all of that and live in 200 sqf, but my oh my how it sucks down the gas. 2.5" walls with aluminum trim wraping straight to the outside, I'm amazed they even bothered to put an ac and heater in here. Something has to change and my mobility isn't going to be it.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyquest View Post
Its all a matter of $ , time , and research. Closest thing I've seen to Complete "off grid" is a Earth Ship. But its not mobile.
I have a friend who builds them fulltime. I would like to develope a way to 3d print homes and monolithic domes with hemp based expanding foam and fiber. That's another project for another day and someone else's life style to live in it.

I will not be swayed! Lol green mobility or death!
Old 12-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
I have already given up on growing my food in the walls with aeroponics, going solar is the least I could do.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
Maybe someday I can make biofeul from the green slime that grows on airstream exteriors. . Pie in the sky I suppose.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
If only we knew how to grow (sips)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131230_193304.png
Views:	151
Size:	945.5 KB
ID:	202628   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131230_193337.png
Views:	180
Size:	787.4 KB
ID:	202630  

Old 12-31-2013, 06:55 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
The problem with RV-ing is that it's an inherently energy intensive activity. Tow vehicles, typically, aren't the most fuel efficient vehicles there are and towing itself uses a good deal of fossil fuel.

If we really wanted to be green, we'd all be tent camping and hiking.

As a self proclaimed tree hugger I've been struggling with this quite a bit - I love nature, but owning an Airstream, or any trailer really, isn't being all that friendly to the planet. In effect, I am putting my personal comfort first.

I alleviate my guilt by using a TV that's fuel efficient, by not using generators, by maximizing solar, not using paper plates or Keurig coffee makers. Still, ever now and then I am thinking I should sell the trailer and buy a sailboat instead....
I rationalize.....

Our Airstreams are made from one of the most re-cycled materials on Earth.

That's as far as I'll go...well I don't litter, and I use trees for shade & firewood.

I hug my wife & dog as often as possible.

Bob
Old 01-01-2014, 10:01 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
Yeah... I should calm down, these are still the best forums on the web. ..
So this sip box would sit on a removable trailer. It would be crazy to have all of the solar folded up in the trailer, put the box in the shade and put the solar in the sun.
I play with the idea of sips, but in the end I might try to accomplish the same with an airstream. Seperate solar sure fixes the roof line and load problem.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
1959 24' Tradewind
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Northeast , Iowa
These ideas you've tossed out as idea generators are quite intriguing, and new enough to me, at least, that I don't follow all the acronyms. What is/are 'sips'? What are the images in post 10?
epperp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by epperp View Post
These ideas you've tossed out as idea generators are quite intriguing, and new enough to me, at least, that I don't follow all the acronyms. What is/are 'sips'? What are the images in post 10?

What Are SIPs | SIPs
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
https://www.permatherm.net/
The images are of a box built from aluminum sips. The box would sit on a utility like trailer and would slide out from under the box, much like a slide-in camper. Both the box and trailer would have fresh grey and black tanks. The sip box would have highly insulated storage tanks and plumbing for winter use. The water tanks could be used as thermal batteries, possibly use them in multiple stages to collect heat from different sources. I guess I tend to have a thought of the week or year and the airstream doesn't lend itself well to trying stuff out. ..

The roof has multi layer etfe plastic skylights with solar that can face down during hail or catch critical sun windows between trees. The solar awning can flip down and cover the windows facing inward. I would like this to look like a construction trailer when I need it to.