Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2016, 09:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Smile Adventures OUTSIDE COMFORT ZONE!

Who knew how complex it can be to plan a multilevel trip?! Not me. Now I do know...through trial and error. In process of planning route, calculating hrs and miles from point A>B>C >D>E....then find the preferred RV Park, right price, requirements, etc....I found, can be daunting. Some web sites are just plain "wonky"!

Especially on little to no sleep last night. The kid up the street woke me up 4 times before 4am ....his car has loud muffler sounding like he's racing a Harley Hog up and down the street...add to that, the thump of high decibel bass of ?? Music? Finally at the "crack of crazy"...4:20am, I gave up on trying to sleep. I figured why bother....he'll wake me up anyway. I don't know the kid...if I did, l'd talk to him, but, won't. It could get worse.

So, as I begin this new journey, into this lengthy trip to Ft. Worth, Tx..drop off Bambi, drive TV home... Fly back to Ft Worth...drive Interstate home... All in time frame of 3/28- 4/10/16.... I will have driven some 2700 miles, back to back + a flight. So, after this...I shall be qualified to go anywhere at will.

June is Greenhorn (Colorado style) school with Ray and Nancy. Then, my grand dtr wants me to take her on a trip in the new "Goliath", AI. Then August brings trip to Jackson Hole, Wy and on to Ft. Stevens SP, Astoria Oregon. That should break in "Goliath" AND ME!

This posting is just the prologue, as I prepare to jump in feet first, and begin my new, exciting ADVENTURES OUTSIDE COMFORT ZONE. This gal is aging, but, still willing to give it a go, learn new things...Never stop learning!

Drop in from time to time just to be sure I'm still kicking! No pets will be with me on this first trip, but, after that...Mikki or Nikko will be my navigators. LOL!

Till next time....Colorado Lady, aka Evelyn, Mikki, Nikko, and soon..."Goliath"!!!!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good for you, Evelyn.

Maggie
Old 03-17-2016, 07:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
You worry too much, we load up and go with the wind in the general direction we want to go, sometimes we go the long way, life is an adventure, just like in the big truck, just head her down the road....enjoy
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
My advice, and it may be worth exactly what I'm charging you for it (nothing), is to be very careful about your vehicle maintenance, and then go! Enjoy!

If possible, make friends with the technician who will maintain Goliath for you. Ask him/her to look around for "something creeping up on me" every time they do routine tasks. My mechanic found a tire problem, that could have been very bad, just last December.

Also doesn't hurt to be able to do small vehicle jobs yourself in an emergency. I refused to let my daughters drive until each had shown me they could change a tire using only the tools carried in the car.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

TJ, you're not the first to tell me that. I'm a compulsive planner, for good reason. Traveling alone and checking out a nice looking road into the mountains of Montana ( when we were stationed at Malmstrom USAF base 69-71), didn't turn out as expected. Ended up on a logging trail ...in a VW bus...trail ended, with steep drop off to a ravine below...had to back down. Gives me the "Willies" just remembering! Of course, back then, I was a lot younger, more daring...and dumb! There were other "adventures" in my youthful enthusiasm, but, I won't bore you with those.

Suffice it to say....I've grown much older, smarter, more cautious, etc. this is my philosophy to enable me to live a longer life and with fewer regrets. As a senior lady, traveling solo...some caution and more common sense serves me well.

Mimi, I am pretty sharp, have retained my nursing skills...but, I am limited on auto mechanics. I'll have to leave that to the pros. I struggle with all the high tech electronic gadgets I have! LOL!
Old 03-17-2016, 11:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I too struggle with the high tech gadgets. Thankfully, I have kids to handle that for me. Just make sure the auto stuff is done. Most stranded by the side of the road incidents are due to neglect.

A power-puff mechanic course, maybe at a community college in your area, might be a good idea. You don't have to do auto repair yourself, except maybe in an emergency, but knowledge is power. Trust me, it's a lot less complicated than nursing.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Thanks, Mimi. I will be diligent re: maintenance schedule.

I wish I had kids to help with the tech gadgets. I am the most experienced...such as it is, with tech stuff. I taught myself how to use a computer years ago...then came the iPhone, iPad, iPad mini, iPod, Nook, GPS, etc. my dtr, Deb, was not at all interested in learning any of it...till about 5 years ago. I bought her one as a gift...and eventually, she submitted to me teaching her how to use it. Fast forward to present....she is so happy with all her tech stuff and takes pride in her growing knowledge of them.

I agree, knowledge is power.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:43 PM   #8
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
Evelyn: A little off topic but-- I was stationed at Malmstrom AFB (1987-1993). Being young and dumb, I bought 80 acres in Wolf Creek area BUT impossible to get a TT to the land without rolling it down steep embankments. Since I retired a year ago, I vowed to get back to MT every summer (so far 2014 and 2015). My brother lives in Carbondale, CO. As a single female traveling on the road, I long for the wild, wild WEST! Hope to see you sometime on the road..... I might sign up for a future boondocking event.
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Evelyn, if the truth be known, you were probably awake anyway thinking about your new big adventure. Good news is that there are great roads between Denver and Ft. Worth and the airport is close to Vogt. You will have a good break in on Goliath by the time you get back home. There is a really great road side park east of Raton, 20 or so miles. Plenty of room to park and stretch your legs and grab a bite from the trailer/coach. One of the things I love about RV's-carry your bathroom and kitchen with you. Have safe travels and am looking forward to your report of your adventures.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Sue, glad you stopped in. I enjoyed my time in Montana...we were there 2 separate assignments, again in 77-79. Beautiful country. Great salmon fishing in mountain streams.
I'm sure it is very different now.

You should join in on the Shirley Valentine gathering...several ladies at Ft Stevens, Oregon in September 7-12th. It's shaping up to be a fun time.
Greenhorn boondocking school is in June, I'll be there...it's in Colorado. Challenges are great, right?
Old 03-17-2016, 11:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Go, I've set my route on I70-I 35, and have all my reservations done. I am so looking forward to bringing "Goliath" home. I am hoping my trip is not affected by late March snows. It is snowing heavily now. It is technically still winter here, March can get a lot of snow some years. The trip is going to happen, so I'm keeping fingers crossed.

Yeah, carrying a kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom on trips should be pretty terrific! How is your search coming along? Did you check in with Vogt? Brant, my agent is very nice, easy to work with. He's going to get an extra fuse kit for me, also install a tire pressure monitoring system prior to my trip. Of course, I'll pay, but, good to have that done ahead of time. If you do see Brant, tell him I sent you. They have a big selection. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:32 AM   #12
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
Evelyn: Thanks for the suggestions. I pick up my new 2016 25A Signature end-of-April. So, I'm doing short trips up/down East Coast in 2016 to thoroughly "shake down" this new TT. But, I already have a tentative schedule next summer (2017) to hit WY, ID, OR, UT, CO and then home. Ultimate destination is OR to do some Whitewater Rafting, fishing, and most importantly WINE tasting at all the Vineyards in the Willamette Valley (I'm hopefully caravanning with another AS). So I'll be watching for any plans regarding boon docking or get togethers Jun-Aug in 2017 to add to the itinerary. Have fun!
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:13 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
I appreciate your recommendation of Vogt. I have a couple of things in the works that have to be resolved prior to getting one. I do understand about the late snows. 80 degrees one day and 6 inches of snow the next. Long range forecasts are never reliable in my opinion so, just go with it. Glad you are having those things done before you leave Ft Worth. Have a safe trip and much fun.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:52 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Evelyn, don't want to bring bad news but they had a massive hail storm in Ft Worth last night. Hope Goliath was inside.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Go, I just called Brant, and he says they were not hit as hard as other areas. He already has checked "Goliath" and he is damage free! Thanks for the tip. Hail can definitely ruin your day, if it hits a vehicle. What a relief no problem there. Hopefully, i won't need to deal with it on my trip back home. You might keep Brant's name handy for when you are actually ready to see them. He will take good care of you, as he is doing for me. No high pressure sales like many I've encountered. No $ number's dance ,either! I hate when I encounter a salesman who does either...I know they need to make a commission, but, I also need the best deal I can get, and am politely assertive in that regard. If I don't get my needs met, I go elsewhere. I am not shy about telling them..."I literally have the whole country to shop in." That will get their attention. Good luck in your search...I look forward to reading of your progress.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:45 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Glad things are good. Spring weather can be very uncertain and I will have my hopes for your travels as well. Will keep his name and appreciate your recommendation. You are right about shopping all over the country. I am checking many locations for stock and price.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Sue, there is a Colorado Boondocking adventure in the works for 2017... See the thread on it by Ray Ekland, to see if there are any openings, or waiting list. I'm booked for it.
Also, if things work out, I may try another trip to Oregon 2017. I won't mind another chance at fishing, and wineries sound good , too. I should have "Goliath" broken in ...or vice, versa...by then?
Old 03-22-2016, 02:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

On the count down! My grand adventure begins next Monday, as I make my way to Ft. Worth towing Bambi to trade in. All reservations are made, routes are planned out and on iPad, laundry done, suitcase packed and ready. Going through lengthy to do checklists prior to departure.

Even got in to have my hair upgraded...cut short and curly, easy maintenance, (you ladies understand, right?) The excitement is building by the day...I am so anxious to get going!
Visit to my PCP tomorrow, labs, etc.

We are expecting 4-8 inches of snow tomorrow and another one in the works for Saturday. Outlook for Monday is good, but, in Colorado, Spring is very fickle. I'm going anyway, but, will appreciate dry roads to travel! Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:21 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Evelyn, I know you are planning to go 70 East. If going south gets you out of the snow quicker, I-25 to Raton, 87 to Amarillo and 287 to Ft Worth is a good route and good roads all the way. Best of luck.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:11 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Man, this spring blizzard is really wreaking havoc on us today here in Denver. All schools and many businesses are closed, over 300 flights cancelled at DIA, with many more diverted to other airports. We live S.E. of Denver, and so far, have 8" or more, with up to 14" expected before it ends about 6PM tonight. Visibility is poor, due to strong winds blowing snow sideways. This, after 73* and sunny yesterday. Ahhh...springtime in the Rockies!

I had to cancel all appointments and errands today. Officials suggest...do not drive today unless absolutely necessary. So, This means my timeline is even more critical.

Monday, my departure day, is forecast for 60* and partly cloudy. Hopefully, my drive on that first day will be okay, as well as the rest. Whatever the weather, I have to go,as my timeline is tight....keeping my fingers crossed.