Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2016, 04:04 PM   #101
Rivet Master

Gearheart, it seems we got the weather usually reserved for your part of the world! Not fair! LOL!

You can usually identify local Coloradans around here....they're the ones wearing Burkenstock sandals, short sleeves, and knee shorts in the middle of winter just because the sun came out...the day after a big snow! Those of us who are transplants...albeit, 37 years.....try to observe seasonal dress.

Sooner or later, all these spring snows will have passed, and I can begin planning some adventures!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:29 PM   #102
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
Welcome, Jane. I seem to recall you visited with Maggie in S.C. recently? Will you be coming on our fall trip to Oregon
Hi Evelyn
No I won't be making it to OR but it sounds like fun. My husband, 2 dogs, & I went to Hunting Island State Park near Beuafort on the coast of SC this weekend & it is one of the prettiest parks we have been to. Sorry to hear about the late storm but hopefully it will be gone soon. Post pictures of your new IS. I bet it looks good!

Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #103
Rivet Master

Our recent snow storm came back last night with a parting shot of another couple inches. It is suppose to start a warmup toward the weekend. I am ready for it.

Daughter's birthday tomorrow, so off to the bakery for her favorite cake...a chocolate decadent something. Way too much for my tastes, but, it is her birthday....so she shall have it.

"Goliath" is still shrouded in snow, but, should lose it in the next couple days as the sun shows up!

Have a little Tagalong/caravan put together for the trip to Greenhorn Boondocking school location in June. I'm looking forward to it and really hope I'm up to the challenge. I really want this! My body will tell me soon enough, I'm sure. The altitude is the biggest challenge for me and I will have O2, so we shall see. Nothing ventured....nothing gained!

Hope to get together with some other folks in our region to try out Chatfield State park...as soon as it warms and the snows melt away. Maybe even try a bit of fishing, if it's warm enough. Haven't fished in a long time, but, bought some new gear and eager to try it out. I hope to land some salmon on our Oregon trip this fall. For now, I'll hope for a trout or two.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:24 PM   #104
Rivet Master

Took two of the grands out for a little ride in Goliath yesterday. They seemed to enjoy it. The gdtr wants to go for a camp out in early July. Our weather is a bit more springlike this weekend. Snow has melted...hopefully, no more till winter...keeping fingers crossed.

Goliath is garnering much attention...sitting in front of my house. He looks pretty sharp sitting there. Lots of admirers driving slowly by.

I'm getting the itch for a short trip....just waiting for nice weather and not muddy campsites! Soon...I hope!
Old 04-24-2016, 03:01 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Kids love day trips in the Interstate, too, Evelyn...while you're waiting for the weather to improve for camping.

Maggie
Old 04-24-2016, 10:44 PM   #106
Rivet Master

Little kids are more easily entertained....these grand kids are 30 & 31.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:44 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That does make a difference.

Maggie
Old 04-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #108
Rivet Master

Winter just will not give up here! It is snowing...today and tomorrow. High today of only 36*! I am ready for spring and it seems to be fleeting!

Not surprisingly...I received a letter from the almighty power group... The HOA. Would you believe it??? Complaining that the RV in front of my home is a detriment to our property values!!!

Since when is a new 2016 Mercedez Benz van a detriment to anything??

This HOA is staffed by a group of power hungry, self imposed, self important jerks who "creep around" and look very hard for any perceived infraction...so that they can threaten " action" if the infraction is not immediately rectified!!!

Never will they offer a positive comment on property improvement or our lovely gardens...which are admired by many who drive and walk by...just to view them in blooming season. These cretins seem to gain joy from complaining!

Yes, I am ranting...sick of these "creeps"! Little minds, pathetic idiots...who enjoy bringing misery to others....for what....I just can't imagine.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:56 PM   #109
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Why live in a place like this?
Sell and buy a chunk of property where you can live as you like!

Nuts!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:28 PM   #110
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Evelyn, it takes all kinds. Being somewhat familiar with HOAs and the a--holes some can be, would suggest that you check your HOA bylaws and restrictions. If it does not specifically prohibit them, tell them to take a hike. People can not simply decide they do not like something and use the HOA to try to enforce their bias. In my experience, before a violation exists, it has to be a specific violation of a written by law or restriction and those have to be distributed to every resident of the association. Good luck with them and look at some warmer, less snowy area to live. Every time I hear of snow in your area, I think of Goliath.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:05 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What GWT said.

What could possibly be detrimental about having a brand new Airstream Interstate/Mercedes Benz parked in front of your house?

A pia to have to deal with, but be calm.

Maggie
Old 04-29-2016, 03:28 PM   #112
Rivet Master

This is my home of 35 years, and no way in hell will I allow some a...holes to force me out of my home. My home is well maintained and renovated inside and outside 2 years ago. It is one of the nicest properties in this subdivision. I have a lot of pride in where I live and some small minded jealous a..holes in the almighty power group of the HOA seem to have put a target on my property...trying to find fault where there is none. Damn them, anyway!
There is no one who is able to control or dominate this little old lady!

OK, off my soap box...sorry for the rant, but, I am just tired of these types of creeps! Besides, now, my head hurts.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:24 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Who does the HOA answer to?

Must be somebody....the city, if needed?

Seems a bit harassing, if you are not violating an existing rule.

Who determined your rig was lowering property values, and how did they make that determination?

Maggie
Old 04-29-2016, 04:28 PM   #114
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Tell them to show you where it says that. Our HOA does have a prohibition on motor homes or travel trailers, but it is spelled out and I don't want to park mine here anyway. In Texas, HOA are governed by the state and lean in favor of the home owner, don't know how it is in Co.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:36 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
It would be interesting to know exactly what the HOA letter said, and the provision/language of your home owner's agreement which the Interstate allegedly violates. People in these types of positions can be a pain, but if their interpretation has been applied consistently in your locale, you may have an uphill fight on your hands IMO, even if they are narrow-minded and all the other things said about them.

One door closing may be another opening . . .

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:05 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
My guess is somewhere within the by-laws is a restriction on RV units of any kind. We have one in our township. It states an RV can be parked on ones property for no longer than 72 hours and specifically for loading and unloading only. No person or animal may reside in said RV overnight. BUT, our local police enforce this only if a neighbor complains. Lucky for us we live in a terrific neighborhood, no one ever complains if we are working on the AS for longer than 72 hours, in fact one of them even offered her driveway as ours is tough to get into and not level.

I am not an HOA person.

Good luck

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:49 PM   #117
Rivet Master

Well, I called the city of Centennial yesterday and was told that the city and the county of Arapahoe have recently changed their bylaws, which reflect the same for most HOAs....homeowners may park an RV at their property for 48hrs in a one month time period to load or unload, then it must be moved to a storage facility.

So, that being the case, though I think it too restrictive, I must comply. I am still furious over it, but, have no emotional energy left to deal with it. I as told by the HOA president, that she had to move her RV to a storage lot, even after having a concrete pad built behind her fence, (because her RV extended above the 6' fence). She said "someone called in a complaint "because they could SEE THE TOP OF THE RV" when they walked by"!

She was very understanding and nice, but, she said that someone had called in a complaint, so the HOA must respond after complaints. She is able to give me a few extra days to get it into storage and out of the neighborhood, but, no more.

Since I bought it out of state, DMV said I must take Goliath to a dealership somewhere to get a Vin# verification form filled out, and also to get a weight verification done somewhere, and bring those forms in to get it registered and get tags. I also want to get it packed and set up and ready to travel, but, I guess that will have to wait till all this damn snow stops....and another storm may arrive next weekend. This one is here thru next Tuesday. Thanks to ElNino. 70's, then snow...70's then more snow...a truly odd spring season this year.

I'm tired of being told what to do, especially when the regs are so arbitrary...and I'm tired of being stressed over something that is out of my control....so, I continue to feel resistant, but, you can't fight if you can't win....so there we have it! It still irritates me to know that some one...for whatever reason they choose to do so, will wander the neighborhood, call in a complaint, and cause grief for others. HOA president is well aware of this old coot who walks around every day and complains, as he has called complaints on me, on her, as well as many others. He is known as a "frequent flyer"! I have seen him, grumbling over my Tab, Bambi...in prior years. Don't know who, but, HOA sure does. I hope....one day, he does not push me too far! At the least, I may feel inclined to tell him what an A..Hole he is!
Old 04-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Jukebox Junkyard is... OK- Figure that.

My brother lived in Lees Summit, Missouri. You could not park a trailer or RV on the public street or driveway over 24 hours. It needed to be in an enclosed RV garage built onto or next to the house.

One day he had a vending company give him some jukeboxes that were stored in a building in Kansas City (mid 1980's). The freight elevator was condemned and needed to be inspected for any repairs to be brought up to standards. It had been unused for a decade or more and the building was sold and needed to be emptied.

(In the process of cleaning out the vending equipment they found a 1940s' car that was 'trapped' among cartons and jukeboxes. The owners kept it.)

My brother and friend(s) hot wired the elevator. It worked. They rented a UHaul to haul Jukeboxes and some other vending games out of the second floor warehouse space.

He ended up with 100+ jukeboxes, maybe a couple of mechanical horses (Ride the Champion... for 10 cents kind). They filled the basement, garage and flowed out the drive way.

There was no regulation on having Jukeboxes sitting in the driveway. I do not recall how long it took to whittle them down off the driveway... but I am sure the neighbors were not happy.

You could have lived next to someone with the Jukebox Junkyard.

An Interstate... would have been a welcomed option.

Interested in a hundred jukeboxes for 'Yard Art'? My brother may be able to locate more that need a home... well, rather your yard. (Smiley Face...)
Old 04-30-2016, 03:50 PM   #119
Rivet Master

You know, Ray...I'll bet there is no regulation barring Junky Jukes. I'll also bet, given the happiness this area has for rules to govern EVERYTHING....they could throw together an amendment in a matter of hours! Sorry, I would have LOVED TO HAVE A Juke for my front yard! LOL! One with a very loud speaker....would have been SO MUCH FUN!!?
Old 04-30-2016, 03:54 PM   #120
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Evelyn, I know this really upsets you. It is what it is. Don't let the hassle you are having to deal with take away from your joy of having Goliath. Laugh it off, realize how unhappy that person must be and relish in the thought that your life is so much more blessed and happy. I know it hurts to lose to someone like that but if you let it get to you, they will win, thats what they want, to make others as miserable as themselves. Don't worry, be happy.