Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2016, 05:08 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Today was indeed a good day, but with a few wrinkles.

I had packed some starbucks instant packets...forgot where,silly me. Bought ice for my coolers and 2 cups of coffee at first gas station.

I have a small electric Keurig for"Goliath" as well as some other small treats for him. They're waiting for him at home. I figured just use instant on my deadheading run this time.i found them, so, there will be coffee in the AM.

There was a terrible multi auto pileup on northbound I 35 in Wichita, Kansas. Must have been pretty bad....as I drove by (in southbound I35, I saw a fireman , above the concrete barrier, standing on the upended hood of a big pickup, twisted up at an odd angle)! I'm guessing maybe trailer of some sort was attached?

I don't linger at those sorts of sites....just keep going carefully. Not uncommon for looky loos in other lane to cause accidents. There must have been30-40 emergency vehicles. The backup was many miles, on 3-4 lanes of traffic...no exits, as it was on raised freeway. What a mess. Hours after I arrived here, I still heard sirens.

Upon my arrival here, a fellow lead me to my site and hooked me up.....discovered my 7pin electric plug had fallen out, plug head dead. Lucky for me, he said," I'll run up to the auto parts store and picking up, be right back".he repaired it, checked everything to make sure it was good, and it is. He tried to refuse payment, I actually had to insist repeatedly, to get him to accept. He and his wife have been work camping for several years. Nice folks.

This place ....AIR CAPITAL RV PARK...Wichita, Kansas is very nice. I give it a 10+! I will come back here with "GOLIATH" on April 8th.

More tomorrow. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:37 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good to hear you're safely settled for the night, Evelyn.

Get some rest, now.

Maggie
Old 03-29-2016, 06:49 PM   #43
Rivet Master

I did not bring wine...would like a bit now. Would help to unwind....oh well. A bottle of water will have to do....just not the effect I want right now. LOL!
Old 03-30-2016, 05:31 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I just spoke with ColoradoLady. She's at the RV dealer in Ft. Worth, camped in their wash bay for protection from the thunderstorms. She has seen Goliath!
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:12 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Very excited for you Evelyn!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:37 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Thanks, guys. This is a bit unusual as camp sites go! But, I am here safely, BAMBI is inside and undamaged. If I had been caught in the storm, there may have been a different outcome. I did not mind sitting inside watching the pouring rain with hail.....knowing it could cause no damage.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:33 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Had a nice talk with Mimi earlier. I look forward to meeting , in person tomorrow. Seems to be a kindred spirit. Caught up on emails, phone calls, forum. Now, heading to bed, perhaps to dream....of camping with "Goliath"!
Old 03-31-2016, 02:34 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You had a long day, Evelyn, and I was getting a bit concerned you'd been caught in those storms somewhere.

Now, you can get to know your new baby and begin a new chapter in your Adventures.

I think you will love the Interstate.

I would say that towing 3 days, and so far south, was a bit of baptism by fire....but, you planned it yourself and executed it flawlessly!

Maggie
Old 03-31-2016, 11:10 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Glad you, Bambi, and Goliath are safe in Ft. Worth. I am sure you are "overloaded" with new things to learn but what a great place to do that, at the dealer. Best of luck.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:44 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Celebration time. A bottle of wine is in order.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:22 PM   #51
Rivet Master

I know! I forgot to bring wine! I guess I'll wait to get home...then, celebrate. Thanks for all the well wishes, folks! Evelyn.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:25 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We need pictures, Evelyn.

Maggie
Old 04-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #53
Rivet Master

One thing at a time, Maggie. I did not even think to bring a camera! That time will come.
I did get to celebrate with a bit of wine, provided by my sweet sales guy. He and my service guy, instructor extraordinaire, joined me. It was fitting.

So much to learn, but, Richard was very patient with me and gave me a lengthy, in depth in service. Everyone there at Vogt RV were very nice...treated me like family. I highly recommend them to everyone. Well worth the trip from anywhere!

Wednesday, I fly back to get "Goliath"! It will be so nice to have my own bed with me, and not need to try to find a good safe motel room...(long story)!
Old 04-04-2016, 12:29 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Sounds like things are moving along. Good luck with the remainder of the trip.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:30 PM   #55
Rivet Master

Evelyn's great adventure will continue....after I spend another night at Vogt RV, then begin my trek back to Denver in "Goliath"! I want to avoid the lengthy drive through lonely plains (and horrible winds) of Kansas...so I may try a route going west through Amarillo to Raton Pass and up I25N to home. So, back to the drawing board...cancel 3 RV sites, and regroup for return trip. Who knows, I may even try a Walmart O/N, or ???

In my long...long...13 1/2 hr drive home yesterday, I did a layover in a truckers parking lot....among the BIG RIGS...waiting for the sun to go down. Driving straight west into the sun was a BEAR!!! When it became intolerable, I followed the truckers, and tucked right in among them....just me in my Pathfinder. Then, they sort of kept me company on the long drive across the plains of Ks and east Co In the dark. I finally reached home at 11:30 last night....tired, hungry, aching, and a bit of a nervous wreck. But, I did get here without any damage and fell into my very own bed.Aaaahhhh! Relief!

I will never make that long a trip without stopping to sleep, (I did get a couple quick 10 minute power naps at rest stops)....among the truckers parked everywhere. Somehow, I felt safe in their anonymous presence. Now, my bed will always be WITH ME when I travel. There is a level of assured safety in knowing that I do not need to exit my home on wheels to rest, eat, attend to private matters, etc. and, certainly, my little Mikki...my little bitty yappy chihuahua will be there as my alert system. "Little Friends" will be available, as well.

I am ready to travel!!! Let the fun begin!!!
Old 04-04-2016, 02:07 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glad you are safely at home, Evelyn.

You might poke and meander a bit on your return trip with your new rig...stretch its legs and yours, find a few spots of interest to stop at.

Maggie
Old 04-04-2016, 02:14 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Glad you are safe. I believe you will enjoy the road trip up 287 from Ft. Worth to Amarillo, Raton and north much better than the route you took on the down trip. I am sure you are very excited about getting Goliath on the road. Nice to hear of your adventure and glad you have your "Little Friends" with you. They are welcome in Texas. Between Clayton and Raton, about 12 miles beyond the little community of Grenville, there is a really great road side rest area. Lots of room for Goliath. Be careful on your trip.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:27 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Following your trip with great interest and admiration, as I have traveled many of the same roads. Glad it is working out.

Safely . . .

Cheers,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:27 AM   #59
Rivet Master

You Guys! I am consistently amazed and warmed by the support and assist offered by you all! As I' ve mentioned before, I feel among family and friends. Though I travel solo, I am never truly alone....you are all with me. Thank you for the comraderie.

I did leave a "little friend" and a canister of mace locked inside "Goliath" for the return trip home. I won't have my little protector and alert pup, Mikki, my crazy little chihuahua on the return trip. I certainly considered it...but, her plane fare would have been more than double of mine...Dnvr- Ft Worth. She and / or Nikko will be on all future trips.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:44 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Evelyn's grand adventure continues! Drove 392 Miles today...O/N in a very nice Texas safety rest stop, about 136 miles to Amarillo, (in the morning). It is manned 24/7, security cameras and well lit ...also patrolled by police. Popular O/N for truckers and RVs.

I found a Costco just outside Ft Worth, stocked up on fresh and frozen healthy food...and WINE! They had my favorite label....Louis Jadot, in several blends....YIPPEE! And much cheaper than at home....double YIPPEE! Bought a champagne to celebrate once home. No drinking on the road.

More tomorrow.