Old 09-14-2016, 04:30 PM   #309
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for all the updates and recent report. Fantastic hearing about you seeing the Pacific for the first time. Yay! Brought back memories of going to San Diego many many years ago.

Safe home!

Peter

Old 09-16-2016, 06:16 PM   #310
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Somewhere , Texas
Evelyn, great to catch up on your travels and adventures. Some of them might not be fun at the time, but as Gramps says, these are life lessons. Thanks for the thought about Nice, but I do not like big crowds, so I was no where near there.

Up to see the campground and back this afternoon. Boy is it going to be great. It is so beautiful there. Way back on the ranch and might be a little difficult to tow a trailer on the roads, dragging rear etc, but if all else fails, we will trailer them in on cargo trailer. It is really coming along, if the snow holds off, might get most of it done. Will probably wait until spring to put in washer, fridge, etc but that can be done in short order. Don't think I will go up there this fall but next spring, all you will see is my dust.

Got to go, you take care now.
Ashley.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:37 PM   #311
Rivet Master

Hi Ashley. Glad the campsite is coming together. Continuing on my route towards home. The entire trip has been good and great to get me out of the comfort zone, get some activity, spread my wings. 500+ miles behind me, that much closer to home...still have a ways too go. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:07 PM   #312
Rivet Master

I've arrived @ Glen's Ferry, Idaho.Lucky to get a camp site...there are a lot of activities going on in this tiny town...."a grape stomping event, a wine tasting event, a rodeo, plus two or three other things I don't recall!" I will skip the "wine tasting"....(grape stomping?... No thank you!)

So far, return trip home uneventful....and I intend to keep it that way! I am taking my time, stopping at rest stops, walking Mikki, stretching my legs,then back on the road. After dinner...ham & cheese sandwich for me...chicken and rice canned food for Mikki...I'll read a bit, then, night-night.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:28 PM   #313
Rivet Master

Today was a very long and tiring day.....drove over 400 miles today .... Not by choice...there simply is nothing along this route, but, fields of hay and grain, strong cross winds, (requiring absolute death grip on the steering wheel, and occasional decrease in speeds to maintain control ....exhausting, to be sure)! Truckers...going way beyond speeds of 75-80 .... As if speed limits were only a suggestion!

Two terrible truck crashes on sides of sharp curves .....one with full emergency crews fighting the flames ...the other is obviously only a recovery action as nothing could have survived the complete devastation. One would think the speed demons might pay caution, but,no ....they just kept on speeding, passing each other on sharp curves ..... I suppose trying to beat some deadline.

I go the speed limit...75-80 ....when the conditions deem it safe and sane. Otherwise, I back off...let them all fight it out. I'm not in a huge hurry....I want to see the sunrise again!

I may get home tomorrow, or the next day. This is a great adventure, and I want to arrive home safely....Goliath, Mikki, and me! Evelyn.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:28 AM   #314
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Well said Evelyn about the speeding. I have seen a few wrecks like the bad one you mentioned.

Safe home!

Peter

PS -- You might have to start a new thread along the lines of -- Comfort Zone Expanded. You have done a fine and courageous job throughout this entire endeavor, and I salute you!

Old 09-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #315
Rivet Master

Thank you, Peter. It has been a wonderful experience, has (originally, taken me way outside the comfort zone)....Now, I am well within my comfort zone, and with my map books, pen & paper (for notes and planning routes), and my GPS, as well as a good serving of common sense and self preservation, I believe I can continue on, solo... Just Mikki and Me, in Goliath. I'll go when and where the mood strikes me! Love It!

There are many roads left for me to explore, God willing! Evelyn.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #316
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Dog is with you!

Old 09-21-2016, 02:14 PM   #317
Rivet Master

Peter, did you mean "dog is with me" or "God is with me"? I hope both! Thanks. Evelyn.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:53 PM   #318
Rivet Master

I arrived home yesterday afternoon...good to be home. It has been a great experience...I have proven (to myself) that I am capable and comfortable on a long and solo trip...no longer outside my comfort zone.

Mikki was glad to be home...as she immediately re-established herself as the Alfa of this little pack here. This was confirmed when she began leading the pack in a ceremonious rendition of the "wolf pack howling"! Deb said the other 3 had not "howled" since Mikki left with me on our trip a month ago! They all sang as if their little hearts were full!

They all gathered on my leather recliner with me, as usual. There was lots of kisses, face licking, and hugs for me, as well. Home is welcoming! Evelyn.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:12 AM   #319
Rivet Master

Travel is nice....but, there is no place like home! I am really appreciating my leather recliner.

I am unsure if I should make such a long trip again. I did it...proved I could...enjoyed it all, (except for the cross winds)! Beat the heck out of my right knee while doing all that driving. I had no problem with it before the trip, now having constant pain in this knee. I guess the body does not appreciate such constant punishment at this age. Getting older is a good thing, but, the body does not fare as well as in years past....darn it!

I will consider this response when I plan my next trip. I would like to go to Oregon again, though. Maybe if I do, flying may be a better plan. I will see what future brings.

There is still much to see and do closer to home. Maybe next year will be a trip to Grand Tetons and/or Glacier NP. One good thing about my trip....I lost 15 pounds during this one month. I'll take that as a positive...in addition to experiencing sights, sounds, tastes, environments..... That I had not previously. Some pretty nice photos to paint from this winter. My plans are pretty solid for the colder months. Me, a cup of hot tea, nice music ...in the sunroom painting!
Old 10-05-2016, 07:02 PM   #320
Rivet Master

I took Goliath in to Windish today for a list of warranty work to be done, as well as, a winterizing. List is mostly small things: wardrobe door and galley drawer slide mechanism & lock repairs, replace rack beneath sofa/bed that supports the two drop down head of bed extensions, fridge/freezer evaluation,i.e., cold/colder within reasonable time, one night shade adjustment, doorstep at slide door eval/fix, adjust slide door to eliminate air entry during travel, lube to assure ease of open/close, black & grey tank pump slow in dumping contents.

I had considered asking them to check tire pressure and remedy if needed and wash and wax, but, the cost of doing either there....is beyond rediculous! The only cost I will have is winterizing, which is bearable. The other will be done elsewhere at a much more reasonable cost for me.

Befor taking Goliath in, my daughter, Deb, bless her heart...unloaded most of his contents and brought in house and put away for me. I am still dealing with a very painful and swollen right knee, which makes me almost useless for such things. I plan a visit to my MD/PCP next week to determine what is to be done to get me back to more normal activity, sans pain, I hope!

I hope that all who are in the path of hurricane Matthew will be able to evacuate and get to safety. My prayers are with you all! God bless! Evelyn.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:13 PM   #321
3 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Mobile , Alabama
So proud of you and all you accomplished. Enjoyed reading all of your updates ...people,places and things.

That part of US is beautiful, we have enjoyed it several times. You need to see Yellowstone and the Tetons.

Take care of your knee...so you can keep on keeping on!!

Take care.
Predeta
Old 10-06-2016, 03:55 AM   #322
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
Peter, did you mean "dog is with me" or "God is with me"? I hope both! Thanks. Evelyn.
Both!

I used to have a problem with my right knee when driving also, but only in a certain car. Figured out that, in that particular car, with my foot on the accelerator, if my posture in the seat was not good, the right leg would kind of roll over further to the right, which I guess put some unusual rotational forces on the knee. The center console was not close enough to stop this lazy action. It would take days of not driving that car for the knee to stop being painful.

I ended up rigging up a bumper on the center console, which forced the right knee and leg to stay more vertical, and parallel to my spine (if you can picture this). Better back posture in the seat helped also, so I ended up raising the seat up, and tipping the seat back forward a bit. In effect, the new driving position was more like a bus/truck driver?

No more knee pain from that car . . .

In our newer van, I do the same things with the seat to avoid a repeat, but so far have not needed to rig up a bumper. The driving posture is more vertical than in the old car, so this helps just on its own IMO.

BTW if you have power seats, doing these kinds of adjustments often during a trip also keeps the blood moving, and helps with staying alert IMO.

Glad you are enjoying being home. Hope the knee clears up. Maybe try some different postures/positions everywhere to keep things aligned?

Peter

PS -- A good recliner and ice therapy can help I have found after a few different surgeries.