Old 08-24-2016, 12:46 PM   #295
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Glad you are on the road again -- have fun!

Peter

Old 08-26-2016, 07:38 PM   #296
Rivet Master

Thanks, Peter. Met Maggie Wednesday 24th, we left this morning 26th due to smoke of forest fires in the area. No chance to tarry...smoke was too much! We are now, on a he road again...our little INTERSTATE caravan of two ladies, new friends...feeling as if we have known each other for years.

Maggie is such a treasure....a genuinely nice, kind, decent person. We have chatted for hours...catching up on who and what we are. No surprise there for me!i somehow knew she would be a special lady...and that she is. We both appreciate honesty...no silly manipulative or passive-aggressive negative behavior. We have both met such a disappointing type of person recently...recognize him for the lie behind the mask...now in the rear view mirror...for both of us.

I had an opportunity to meet two genuinely good folks...in Gerard and Laura...Gearhart. I just instantly loved them both and hope to have a chance to get to know them better one fine day. There are certainly more true,kind, and good people in this world,and when I meet these ones, I want to keep them in my heart. Those who wear a mask....are soon found out...by their own deceptions. Shameful blackened souls.....no time in my life for those, don't you think?!

I. Have met some wonderful people on this forum...and treasure them...hope to eventually meet in person as time goes by. We are known by the company we keep. Right now,with Maggie And Lily parked next to Mikki and I...we are on VERY GOOD COMPANY.

God bless you all.safe travels. Evelyn.

ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:46 AM   #297
Rivet Master

My AT&T signal appears to be rather hit & miss....here in the Wild West. So, this morning, I have signal....yeah!

We have traversed Idaho, stayed in a private boat club... Near another fork of the snake River. Arrived at a COE campground yesterday in Plymouth, Washington. Very nice....FHU. Nice shady sites side by side. We will stay two nights here...rest a bit, regroup. We've done quite well, made good time on the road.

Yesterday's travel saw Maggie and I handling some VERY LONG and arduous stretches of 6-7% grades...gearing down....getting around lines of truckers...who, by the way.....seem to be cooperative when allowing others to go around them. One of the 6% grades was about 10 miles, I think. It seemed to go on for awhile. Both our AIs deal with grades quite well.

Mine seems to not get as good mileage as Maggie's. I need to give Goliath a big swig of diesel more often!

The region in Idaho and Oregon appear to show evidence of drought, with the fields of green few and heavily irrigated. I always thought Idaho and Oregon were much like Colorado....more mountainous than I see along the way. The rolling hills, sometimes dry looking fields....but, mostly freshly harvested fields of grain....yellow straw colored rolling hills for miles. Maggie says, "freshly harvested winter wheat fields". It is pretty, in it's way...but, same...sort of....mile upon mile.

Maggie and I are getting on well. We do come from different backgrounds, and a different time in our childhood...as I am at least 10 years older than she. I was an "end of depression era baby" in a family of 8 siblings. While, Maggie had only 2 siblings.

We have many differences in our personalities, also many similarities. It all seems to even out well. After all...we have the same goals in many ways now...to travel, enjoy this way of life...now new to me, but, familiar for Maggie, as she had been a long term traveler for some time now.

It would be hard to find a new friend more dear than she. We spend a significant time chatting, learning more and more of each other....talking for hours, having a bit of wine every other day, or so. It has been a nice time...and I look forward to all that is to come.

Tomorrow, we will go to Multnomah Falls lodge, have a nice dinner, then, view the falls, take some photos, take a big of a walk. I am determined to walk up to the bridge overlook, although, I plan to make use of the rolling walker I carry in my AI. It has a seat,so,I'll be able to rest if need be.

My only regret, is that, I had not begun this lifestyle much sooner...but, it is what it is. So, here I am at this less than tender age of 77+, doing as I wish I could have some 20 years ago....seeing more of this great country of ours...experiencing the joy of a vagabond traveler....reaching outside my comfort zone.....searching for adventures..... And I am loving it. More of my adventures, as I can get signals. ONWARD! Evelyn.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:06 AM   #298
Rivet Master

Oh, yes....we will travel along the he Scenic Columbia Gorge hwy, said to be "gorgeous". (Pun intended! LOL!) it parallels I84, and allows easier stopping to enjoy all it has to offer...which I am told is truly magnificent!

We will part ways, after that, for a bit, as Maggie will take a ferry to Orcas Isle to visit AS friends, then join back at Ft Stevens for the Shirley Valentine gathering...where we will make more new friends....and reconnect with some recently met along the way.

This is all so exciting to me.....everything is a new experience....and the challenges are a bit of a "tug" on me, but, with each new challenge conquered, I am feeling more confident past each one of them. In my youth, I reveled in challenges...but, with age, the challenges appear more stressful, but, not unmanageable. I just keep reminding myself...if one other person an do a thing....so, too, can I!!!

I am an old gal, but, I am determined to wring every single bit of joy out of every experience...I am not done...not for a VERY, VERY LONG TIME!!! (God willing).

Onward in this great adventure...way outside my previous comfort zone...but, soon to be familiar and old hat, I hope! I am almost giddy, at the prospect of FINALLY getting to the Pacific coast...a place I have yearned to see for many decades...now, I shall. YEAH!
Old 08-29-2016, 11:13 AM   #299
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm enjoying you, too, Evelyn, and feel we are doing quite well for a couple of gals who only met each other a few days ago.

Maggie
Old 08-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #300
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Hey, Evelyn. Glad you're having a good time. How was the Ice Wine?
Old 08-29-2016, 10:34 PM   #301
Rivet Master

Maggie, I fully agree...and I still want to take you home and make you my little sister! I believe we get along so well due to our value systems, which we both hold dear and that we have experiences which, in a way...parallel the other's....by this, I refer to some of our career experiences. We both, by our nature, value many of the same principles and morals, and chose careers of a giving and nurturing kind.

I appreciate honesty and directness in a person, and was pleased that you do as well.
I truly look forward to an extended and long lasting friendship....between 2 kindred souls.
Evelyn.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:56 PM   #302
Rivet Master

Gerard and Laura,
Thank you for the lovely bottle of Canadian Ice wine. I did save it and shared it with Maggie, along with a nice peach and good cheeses. It was delicious, and actually had a bit of a 'kick' to it.

We are having a terrific time, managing quite well on the long roads with some long stretches of 6-7% descent and ascent grades. We are making really good time.....neither of us drive like "little old ladies"! Many areas with speeds of 70's and 80's, getting around the big truckers....we are doing great. There were only a couple times I experienced a big gust of cross wind, and we each dealt with it and kept on trucking!

On to Multnomah Falls @ Bridal Veil tomorrow. Having a nice meal there at the lodge, see the falls , take some photos, then go for a campground nearby. After one night, Maggie will head up to visit friends at Orcas Isle, then come to Ft Stevens in time for the gathering.
I will remain near the falls another night, sightsee some more, then on to Ft Stevens.

My darling granddaughter, who lives near Seattle will come down for a visit with me for the weekend. We were just on the phone, planning our menus of wines, cheeses, fruits.....and, of course, fresh seafoods. Crystal will bring her tent and camp supplies, and pitch next to my rig...and we will eat and drink well, then go down the coast sightseeing. She volunteers to drive so I can enjoy the sights. It's been more than two years since our last visit...I can't wait to see her again! Lots of good warm hugs!

This is shaping into a truly wonderful trip, and I vow it won't be my last to the west coast. I intend to return on my own next year...maybe spend a couple months at least. Now that I've gained the confidence....each day....it becomes more inside my comfort zone for adventure. I do love new and exciting adventures....always have. ONWARD!
Hugs to both of you! Evelyn.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:12 PM   #303
Rivet Master

Today was another long and productive day. We left Plymouth,WA. @0830hrs, travelled along the Columbia River Gorge, where we encountered some rather tough cross winds along with twisty, and some steep roads....and way too much traffic for the two lane hwy, with a Lot of Semitruck traffic. We did fine, though, drove safely, managed well with all of it, but, after a lot of the brutal cross winds,I felt that I needed to "peel my hands off the steering wheel." ,

Arrived at Multnomah lodge about 11:00 AM, where we rewarded ourselves with a well earned nice brunch....I had my first ever Smoked salmon Benedict hollaindaise with capers. Oh,my goodness, that was so good!

We walked up to the lower part of the falls afterward, took our furry babes for the walk. Visited the gift shop, bought a few souvenirs, a 2017 calendar with beautiful photos, etc.
I will return to see more of the falls tomorrow, but, Maggie goes on to Orcas Isle, and will rejoin in at Ft Stevens after visiting friends in the area.

We're staying the night at Sand point RV park, size by side sites facing a tributary of a river, not sure which one...it is sort of narrow, but,nice. I stay two nights, then move forward to Ft Stevens on Thursday AM. Will probably stop somewhere along the way for a few supplies. Only need a few odds and ends.

This trip is the final one for this season, and on my way back toward home, I'll go to Colter Bay Grand Tetons, alone, before heading for home. I am no longer feeling as if I am outside my comfort zone, I am simply gaining experience, and confidence...as I continue along my journey as a older lady...new at this traveling vagabond thing. "Goliath" makes me feel safe,and with my trusty Rand McNally map book, my 760LMT RV GPS and ALLSTAYS app, I can find my way around, get where I need to go....one day at a time.

My adventures will continue...I'm already planning a return trip to Oregon next year....maybe for a couple months. Lord willing, I'll keep on traveling for many more years. I really enjoy the search for my new adventures. It is a great way to travel! Love it!
Hope to meet new friends along the way. ONWARD! Evelyn.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:26 PM   #304
Rivet Master

Maggie has departed, for Orcas Isle, and visits with old friends. Before leaving, she gave me a very pretty potholder/hot pad that she crocheted from a nice multicolor yarn...some of my favorite colors. I love it...and it is special to m because Maggie made it.

I felt the need to "Just be still for a bit". I will be driving to the falls again, with camera, to just mosy along, with no need to rush for now. It is good to just slow down, and "be"!
The traffic will probably be heavy again, (no problem)...I am in no rush today.

I will have one more night here on this little peaceful Sandy River, then on to Ft Stevens tomorrow...9/1, Thursday afternoon. Onward! Evelyn.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:25 PM   #305
Rivet Master

Had a fabulous sunset this evening after a heavy rain. I took some really stunning pics...can't figure how to attach to forum. Maybe later when my Grd dtr comes, she can help.

Did not get to the falls today...raining, etc. will do so on way from Ft Stevens SP to Coulter Bay Grand Tetons...after the 12 th. Spent most of the day inside while it rained pretty hard.
Onward in the A.M.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:55 PM   #306

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
It sounds to me like your thread should be 'Adventures expanding my comfort zone '

I've enjoyed the ride along.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:06 PM   #307
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Somewhere , Texas
Hello Evelyn!!!! Home to America from France. Had a wonderful time but I was so ready to get back to the Good Old USA> Broke out in song with Lee Greenwood's, God Bless the USA. I have not had a chance to catch up on all of your posts but hope you had a wonderful summer with Goliath and enjoyed some wonderful places.

I was raised to talk about others adventures rather than my own, but something so great is happening, I had to share it with you. My Gramps went fly fishing on a friends ranch in one of the mountainous states. This friend has a BIG ranch with lots of fishing streams and rivers and during their visit, my Gramps and he were visiting about our camping adventures. That led to other discussions and they went to a place on this ranch that must be so beautiful. Small valley, surrounded by tall trees and about 50 yards from a great fishing stream. They made the decision to install several campsites, build an outbuilding that would be big enough to hold several ATV's, washer and dryer, extra storage for clothes, automatic generators, refrigerator, freezer, etc. Will have full hookups, gravel pads. I have not seen it yet but Gramps is flying me up there in the next couple of days to see it. They are underway with the construction but I doubt it will be completed until next spring. When I get back from viewing it, I may hook up Boomer and head up that way for several days just to watch the action and get in a little fly fishing. I am so excited!!!!! My plans will be to head north in the spring, after all the snow flies, take a week or 10 days to get there and spend the summer there. Work my way back down in the fall, at the latest possible time for some winter camping in the south. This sounds like such a hoot, I can't wait. This beats hooking and unhooking, miles of road travel and I will have my horses. The ranch owner hauls horses up in the spring and back in the fall so he will take mine along for the ride. That place will have everything I want in camping. I am so fortunate and wanted to share my excitement with you. I look forward to reading up on your summer adventures.

My best to you.
Ashley
Old 09-14-2016, 04:18 PM   #308
Rivet Master

My mobile signals have been poor to none, so, today is the first time I've been able to access forums in a really long time...most days, no email, no phone. I've gotten used to being pretty much unplugged from everything electronic! Yikes!

Ashley, so glad to hear from you! I was, of course, worried when the "thing" happened in Nice! Hope you had a wonderful time and relieved that you are home safely!

Your Gramps business plan sounds awesome. If it is anywhere I can get to (next year), give me info, and I will plan a visit there!

I am currently on the south Oregon coast. Oregon is beautiful, the coast is all I had hoped for. As this is my first time to the Pacific coast, it is all new and exciting to me. At almost 78, I am like a kid at Christmas, taking it all in...the smells, the sounds, the sights...just everything!! I have been seeking the lighthouses, the ocean "sea stacks", enjoying the ocean waves crashing when on shore. Taking pictures of everthing!

I've stayed in a rest stop, a Walmart, in COE, boat club, private RV parks, State Parks, etc. trying a bit of it all. All is good...some are better. The Oregon state parks are nice, and I've stayed at Ft Stevens, Cape Lookout, Beverly Beach, Washburn SP, now at South Beach. Been to Sunset beach, Seaside, Hug Point, Cannon beach, Manzanita, Tillamook, Oceanside, Rockaway beach, Three capes scenic loop, Boiler bay, Depoe bay, Devil's punch bowl, stopped to view whales, (no luck)...did not bring binoculars.

I've driven most of the 101 scenic hwy, of Oregon. Drove the Columbia Gorge scenic route, old Hwy 30, scenic route, drove into Washington almost to Seattle, crossed the long bridge over the mouth of the Columbia River as it meets the Pacific. Saw Multnomah falls...awesome. Hope to see more on my way out.

I've done some shopping... Eddie Bauer outlet in Seaside had a sale...I bought a few things! Costco here sells wine...bought a case of a variety. I also bought cheese and ice cream at Tillamook factory. Filled in with supplies at Fred Myers and Costco. Bought some souvenirs, walking sticks made of Oregon juniper are pretty ones, the usual...calendars of Oregon photos, a mug, tee shirts, gift for my daughter, etc. I discovered a Berry Patch gift shop and restaurant. They sell every kind of berry jam and preserves.... so, I bought one of each...12 in all. They made the best and biggest hamburger I ever had! I'm well stocked with wine, cheese, jams, clothes...and a bit of other stuff....probably will last for a couple years! LOL!

I think it's time to turn around and head for home...a long drive ahead, and weather is changing ... Cold and damp this morning. Weather report says it snowed in Yellowstone this morning. Don't want to be caught out here with icy roads and or snow. Time to make my way back to Colorado before the snows come!

We had the Shirley Valentine gathering of a few Lady AIRSTREAMERS, and a few couples ...
Really nice folks, met a few strangers along the way ...it's all good!