Old 06-28-2016, 06:34 PM   #253
Rivet Master

My contact at Airstream emailed several sets of info on my batteries and Magnum, etc. reports have been made, per owner responsibility, report logs sent...so, hopefully, the issue will be resolved soon. Trips are planned and miles of enjoyment await!

ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:52 PM   #254
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
I picked up my "Goliath" this morning from local dealer. When I got home, I checked the coach/house batteries....what ??? They only show 12.94 and 12.75 for both. I wonder....did they actually change them?! That's about what they were before. Airstream factory shipped new batteries to them! I will keep it in front of my home for a few days so I can monitor it.
I purposely left the main switch on with fridge on so I can evaluate capability. If no change, I will call Airstream and report! This does not seem right!
CL, were your batteries being charged. Around 12.8 volts is a fully charged battery at rest. Usually around 13.2 on float charge. Are you sure everything was turned off including the propane detector in Goliath. That will bring the voltage down slightly.

TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:14 PM   #255
Rivet Master

Yes, everything, including propane switch and main disconnect switch were turned off.
I only left the fridge /freezer and main disc switch on the first night, as an attempt to evaluate the minimal usage. After that eval, I turned everything off, checked daily, gen charged 2 hrs daily.

Then, made my reports of the eval log to Airstream and to local dealer, who will do a diagnostics test in July. Tomorrow, I take it to the storage lot, where it will be on electrical connection.

This is getting to be a major PIA. Hopefully will be resolved soon.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:31 AM   #256
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Does your fridge run off 12-volt from the batteries, in addition to 120-volt AC and propane? Yesterday someone said you have a compressor fridge, and another poster referenced a similar fridge drawing a lot of electrical juice.

Or, have you had to leave your inverter on to supply 120 volts AC for the fridge? This would overwhelm the batteries. You need to be clearer here about the details of your setup, as most of us are familiar only with trailer-based systems.

I again recommend that you post your issues on the Sprinter B-Van forum I linked yesterday. A much wider audience there. Or at least post a reference there to this thread which is in the "Off-topic" forum.

You will prevail, keep hanging in there!

Peter
Old 06-29-2016, 05:22 AM   #257
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
PS the questions I just posted apply only to the first round when you had the fridge on, to clarify your setup. With everything off, the batteries should have held steady per the reference from the owner's manual yesterday.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:59 AM   #258
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
When you get Goliath back to the Airstream dealer, ask them to show you the markings on the batteries themselves and teach you how to read them. Backhanded diplomacy--make them feel like you think they're the experts, but ask a question that makes them prove they actually did the work.

Meanwhile, use the internet to learn how Lifeline marks their batteries and how to read the codes. In other words, be smart, but act a little ignorant.

Unfortunately, "service" people who think they can take advantage of women because we don't know anything about mechanical or tech stuff are still out there. So, I'd encourage you to learn all you can about Goliath's systems and their workings. It can't be one tenth as complicated as what you dealt with as a nurse. The human body is far more complex than any vehicle.

Besides, the look that appears on that "service" guy's face when he suddenly realizes that you do know what he's talking about is priceless.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:08 PM   #259
Rivet Master

My fridge/freezer is electric only, not propane.
Mimi, I would like to do that, as I am proactive, but, the batteries are beneath the back of the AI, and accessible when put up on a lift. No way could I access them to check. The AI has a very low road clearance, so even if I were inclined to get on my back and slither under it....which I am not....I doubt that I could see anything. Good idea, though.
I must admit, I am suspect...re: honesty of some mechanic, who may want a new battery. It does happen, but, all I can do is make my reports of logs, to the appropriate parties....let them draw their own conclusions. If such a thing did happen, I'm sure it will be determined when it goes in for diagnostics.
I'm giving Goliath a good gen charge before taking it in to storage lot today.

If there is a positive in all of this....I am gaining some education of this complex system. I'll take a positive wherever I find it!

The nice lady at Airstream emailed a plethora of info to me yesterday. I will print most of this out, read over and over, keep for future reference.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:35 PM   #260
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
My fridge/freezer is electric only, not propane.
. . .
Thanks. And glad for your good attitude about learning!

You should probably get some battery management advice from your dealer, a friendly service person, or an experienced Interstate owner here. If your fridge is the compressor type with a high amperage draw, and if you have to use the inverter to power it at 120 volts (when not on shore power), that is what is killing your house battery IMO (only one house battery right?). Even if the new batteries were in fact new, they may have been damaged recently by multiple readings under 12 volts.

It is my impression -- to be confirmed/corrected by an expert -- that this fridge is not intended to be used while boondocking away from shore power. Or you have to use the generator religiously once or twice a day to charge the house battery which the fridge is draining mightily, especially on hot days. No battery should be allowed to go under 12.5 volts at any time, basically. If this means using the generator three times/day, so be it. The voltage readout is your guide. [<12.5 = charge ASAP]

I could be wrong, but please get very informed expert advice on how to prevent this from happening again.

Good luck!

Peter
Old 06-29-2016, 02:36 PM   #261
Rivet Master

OTRA, thanks for your input. There are 2 coach/house batteries..1 main+ 1 auxiliary=2 !!
And, yes, the fridge/freezer is meant to be used at any time camping, whether with full hookups, while driving, or while boondocking. That is why my first evaluation was with the minimal use that one would need....a functional fridge/freezer to provide food while traveling or camping.

I do understand that when dry camping, I must be alert to battery readings and use gen judiciously to maintain adequate battery charges. I learned that even with everything off, if propane switch is in on position, it will have a parasitic draw. Now, it is off. Learning about this complex machine....bit by bit!!

On anther subject....checking my credit card today, used at trading post....fraudulent charge was credited back to my account. Lesson learned....examine all transaction slips and receipts....never assume all is correct. Make sure you are given an accurate receipt!
And keep receipts and check them against all charges. Sometimes, gas stations don't give receipts at pump....too lazy to change the paper rolls? It is to my benefit to go inside and get a receipt. Especially when traveling....there are people who may take advantage!!
Know what you spend and where...receipts to prove it!
Old 06-30-2016, 05:33 AM   #262
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Evelyn: Also at pumps look for a suspicious or different "slot" to put the credit card into as it could be a "reader" planted by a thief. In addition when eating out we no longer allow the wait person to take our credit card away, simply do not. If necessary I tell them I will accompany them to the reader they use.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:24 PM   #263
Rivet Master

Good point, Bud. It is a shame that we must now be at the point of paranoia, to protect ourselves from dishonesty while traveling or at home. It appears....as we work hard ...all our lives to provide a pleasant life for us....the criminal element work harder to find a way to take it away. Only a small part of the changing world in which we live! Makes one yearn for the days gone by....the days of innocence....or was it just ignorance....what we did not know!

The latest horror of the terrorist attack at the Turkish airport: 3 terrorists shooting and suicide bombing.... Have caused 43 deaths and over 200 injuries. God bless those who have suffered at the hands of those savages! Our prayers are with them. These tragedies are occurring all too frequently.

I believe that we who choose to travel by RV...with trailers or MOTORHOME....are less likely to be victims of such monsters. They want the highest victim count and target those areas that are most likely to get more victims. We must still be vigilant and not assume we are absolutely immune.

I refuse to be afraid, as I continue to enjoy my travels, I choose my destinations carefully.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:18 PM   #264
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
What she has is the super-efficient Danfoss compressor fridge that runs on 12 or 120 volts. It is designed for boondocking, and with good sun on the solar panels should do just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-01-2016, 08:19 AM   #265
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
What she has is the super-efficient Danfoss compressor fridge that runs on 12 or 120 volts. It is designed for boondocking, and with good sun on the solar panels should do just fine.
Thanks, so do you figure the new batteries are also bad? There is another thread where the trailer owner got new Interstate batteries replaced by an Interstate store under the warranty. They commented that they had never seen both batteries fail at the same time.

See Post 12 here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...rs-152327.html

Maybe Interstate had a run of bad batteries?
Old 07-01-2016, 11:47 AM   #266
Rivet Master

As my batteries are Lifeline AGM, I would expect them to be efficient. Goliath is now at the storage facility, so, not easily accessible for constant monitoring. Absolutely everything is off, including the propane switch, so, I expect to find the charge unchanged from my recent readings. We shall see.