Old 06-20-2016, 04:33 PM   #225
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Just left GT NP on Jackson Lake. Beautiful, wonderful weather. Be sure to have a full tank, not a lot of places for fuel. May be some around Colter Bay, was not up there. Lodge at Jenny Lake is a nice place to eat. Small, quiet, not a lot of people. Very crowded up there, lots of peeps looking at the national parks.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #226
Rivet Master

GWT, what are you traveling in? Did you get a trailer or Moho? Thanks for the tip on lodge at Jenny lake. I have heard that before. I think I'll put that on my list. I wanted to go to GT before my Oregon trip, but, they were full up all over, so I opted for afterward? I'll be there 9/17-21. I hope I don't encounter snow. Can anyone give me hints on that possibility? I know when I lived in Montana, there literally was no month of the year that you could not get snow, especially in the mountains.

I've not been on a trip this lengthy before, and I am really looking forward to it. I will be traveling solo, interspersed with company here and there. Solitude is a good thing at times.
It is nice to share the glory of our beautiful country with others.....somehow, Mikki, my little chihuahua, is not impressed!

ColoradoLady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:29 PM   #227
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Unfortunately, was not in either, stayed in lodge. I have not made my purchase yet, but will. Waiting on info on 2017s, trailers and class B and C and 2017 Super Duty Ford truck. You are right on the snow, it can come at anytime. Mornings were 38 degrees. They do a great job there of keeping the roads in good shape, so even a little snow should not be a problem for long. Since you do not have a toad, you will have no problem getting to Jenny Lake in Goliath, and there should be plenty of room to park him, you will encounter a lot of road traffic but speed limits are low and most people adhere to them. There are a few butts who don't, but I did see several who had been pulled over by law enforcement, either state or park police. If you drive into Jackson, be ready for a lot of traffic.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:58 PM   #228
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Somewhere , Texas
Hello Evelyn!! I am back home after a wonderful few months. It is so hot here!! I ended up working, for free, at a horse ranch in one of the rocky mountains states for a few weeks. I will probably go back up there in August and September until the snow flies. Had a wonderful time. I am having a complete detail and once over on Vinnie, wheels aligned, service, etc. Also having bearings packed on Boomer, cleaned and waxed from top to bottom and then putting them in the barn. I have read your posts and love to hear of your adventures and plans and you have my prayers for your travels. I am going to France for a while, 5 or 6 weeks to visit a family I know there. When I get back Vinnie and Boomer will be ready to go. My Gramps is going to make sure they have all they need while I am gone, and we are doing a little caravan for the fall travel. Still do not have a dog but it is high on my list. I was very blessed during my trip. No problems or tight situations. Got my little butt thrown a couple of times but not the first time I have made a quick exit from a horse. I am rambling here but wanted to get all of this in. I look forward to reading more of your posts. My heart breaks for your cat loss. I love animals, probably some mental condition, but better than a lot of people I know. Blessings be with you, you sweet lady. Ashley
Old 06-21-2016, 06:30 PM   #229
Rivet Master

GWT,
I will be going to Colter Bay RV Park in Grand Tetons...not Jenny lake. I think Colter is in northern section...not sure. I hope I have a site with nice scenery. They said it's a 5 min walk to the lake, but, in a forested area. I hope to drive in GT, explore a bit. I do plan on taking warm weather clothes and extra blankets.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:47 PM   #230
Rivet Master

Ashley! So great to hear from you! I've wondered, "where in the world is Ashley and vinnie and boomer?" Sounds like you've had a very full summer. Hope it was all you wanted it to be. Be careful "getting your little butt thrown from horses" little lady....that's a long way down. Don't forget to tuck and roll.

So what part of the Rockies have you visited thus far?

Thanks for your sympathy on my loss of my 15 year old Max. It has been my experience that if a person does not have a heart to love animals...they also lack the ability to truly love people. I tend to give those types a wide birth of avoidance. Love me...love my dogs and cat!

On trip to France....such a great opportunity for you. Please be careful, dear...it is a much more dangerous place than it once was. Use your "trust radar" judiciously. Enjoy yourself, but, be very cautious wherever you go. Americans are easy targets in Europe these days....terrible, but, true. The crazies have spread all over, damn them! You will be in my prayers....now, and always.

Please stay in touch...and tell your Gramps I said Hi. If I worry for you, I can imagine how he must be! Be a good girl and stay in close contact with your Gramps to set his heart at ease, OK? Evelyn.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:55 PM   #231
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Somewhere , Texas
Evelyn, thanks for the warning, caution. I am very aware what is going on in the world. I will always be with the host family and they are very careful. Other than the arriving and departing flights, we will not be in the heavy populated areas, but much more rural, and i might say, beautiful areas. Gramps says Hi and I know he is always worried but lets me "fly". He knows our French friends very well and trusts them, and me, to do the right thing. I will of course be in regular touch with him. He is the one that makes all this possible. What more can I ask, takes care of Vinnie and Boomer and my horses. Will try to post from time to time. Will report where I have been camping later, as I am going back at the end of the summer. The majority of my days camping have not been in campgrounds but rather on private property, which I really like as long as I can get water and dump (the tanks) occasionally. Those generators keep the power up when I need them.-Safe travels.
Ashley (the girl horses like to pitch)
Old 06-22-2016, 10:45 AM   #232
Rivet Master

Ashley, your Gramps is a very wise man. When a birdie is ready to fly....you have to show them how...then watch them fly! I know you are a smart girl and am glad to know you are aware of world problems.
So many young ones these days are not....living in their own cocoon, unaware of anything outside their immediate circle. It saddens me to realize that world matters are rarely if ever taught in schools now. Civics, history, world affairs used to be required coriculum. Now, it seems to have gone the way of music and the arts in public schools.
It is important to be aware, not only of your immediate surroundings....but, world affairs. It makes for a well rounded intelligent person. It appears that you have attained that education. I am glad for that. I won't be so concerned for your safety....but, can I still worry a bit? (LOL!) go, have fun, fly!
Evelyn.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #233
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Evelyn, be sure you have a good set of binoculars as you should have a good chance for some wildlife viewing.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #234
Rivet Master

Thanks, GWT. I will dig out some binoculars to take along. I hope to get some nice photos as well.

I took "Goliath" in Wednesday to local AS dealer to have batteries changed out under warranty. They said they'll work me in. I'm in a waiting mode hoping they'll get it done today so I can pick it up tomorrow.

I have another trip planned, taking granddaughter with me. I hope I don't have to cancel another trip.

Received a call this morning, scheduled a medical procedure, thankfully able to get it between my two trips, so no problem there.

Getting my hair cut/permed tomorrow....short, curly...easy care. Ready for my fall trip!
Old 06-25-2016, 01:02 PM   #235
Rivet Master

I picked up my "Goliath" this morning from local dealer. When I got home, I checked the coach/house batteries....what ??? They only show 12.94 and 12.75 for both. I wonder....did they actually change them?! That's about what they were before. Airstream factory shipped new batteries to them! I will keep it in front of my home for a few days so I can monitor it.
I purposely left the main switch on with fridge on so I can evaluate capability. If no change, I will call Airstream and report! This does not seem right!
Old 06-25-2016, 02:36 PM   #236
Rivet Master

Anyone who were on boondocking trip:
If anyone went to the "cabins", I.e. ,TP just down from our campsite to get gas or propane...you may want to check your credit card statement to look for charges that are not yours. I was charged $81.81 for lodging, that is not mine! I called the place and my bank and filed a dispute!
Old 06-25-2016, 02:48 PM   #237
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yikes!

Maggie
Old 06-25-2016, 03:27 PM   #238
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
I picked up my "Goliath" this morning from local dealer. When I got home, I checked the coach/house batteries....what ??? They only show 12.94 and 12.75 for both.
. . .
I believe this is fairly normal for a 12-volt battery system. The real test will be to track the battery voltage readout over time, to check the rate at which the voltage drops. Can you leave the umbilical cord unplugged for a day or two, and check the voltage readout every 8 hours or so? [Wait an hour or more after charging/driving to start this process.]

Your old batteries may have had a similar reading when charged, but could not hold the charge. The question now is: will the new batteries hold the charge over time? You should take the time to confirm this, as it is possible that your electrical system has another undiagnosed problem which looked like a battery problem.

Not to jinx things, but some parasitic load, or a minor short circuit someplace. I am not an expert, so won't speculate further. The point being it is important to have the peace of mind that the new batteries actually fixed the only problem.

Have Faith though, you will have a fully functioning Interstate -- and will have fun on the road again!

Happy Trails for the new trip!

Peter

« A Different Life II | Top | - »