Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2002, 12:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Act of Kindness

While traveling on the road, what act of "Kindness" was shown to you?
Secondly, Have you as a result of this, passed it on?? If so, how?
ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 01:14 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

This has nothing to do with traveling on the road in an Airstream, but while traveling in our Land Rover Discovery to the River (Colorado River - Parker, AZ) my husband and five-year-old son got in a head-on collision with a drunk driver (I was following directly behind them in my friend's car). We were in the middle of nowhere out in the desert. The Land Rover flew up into the air (like it was driving straight to heaven) and rolled over several times. Everything seemed like it was in slow motion. My first thought was, "Where in the heck is Cary (my husband) going?" It just didn't register in my brain that they got hit by another car. We were going approximately 70 mph (I don't know how fast the other driver was going). My friend and I couldn't see anything for several long seconds (seemed like minutes) because of all the sand flying around. When it cleared we saw the car upside down in a small ravine. I was too terrified to go see if they were alive. I just sat in the front seat screaming. My friend ran out and went to see how badly they were injured. She came running back saying Zach (my son) was alive but had a head injury - some people were getting him out. She didn't have any word on Cary, yet. Then she ran back and got Zach - he had blood all over his face and head, but he was alive. (continued)
eraffety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 01:23 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

In order to keep him from going into shock, I remained extremely calm and "normal" as I told him, "Oh, Zach. You are all dirty! We are going to have to go to the hospital to clean you up." He told me he threw up. I just set him in my friend's front seat and told him to rest there while I went to check on Daddy. Cary had been partially ejected from the car as it rolled over, but his seatbelt had held him partly inside. The car had him pinned in the ravine - people had to lift the car off him and cut the seatbelt to extricate him. The seatbelt had severed his colon and he was in extreme pain (but alive). I went up to him as he was laying on the shoulder and asked how he was. He just told me to leave (he thought he was dying and didn't want me to watch). So I ran back to Zach. All this while, a ton of people had stopped and helped us (including the guys who hit our car - they helped turn it over to lift it off my husband - of course, they weren't nearly as injured - then they took off in another car and fled the scene - they never found out who hit us because the registration of the car came back to an invalid address). Among the people who stayed with us until help arrived in the form of paramedics and LifeFlight helicopter nearly 2 hours later (they were sent to the wrong accident), were an off-duty paramedic and an off-duty nurse who had some instruments to help monitor my husband on the shoulder of the road. They helped save his life and my son's.
I will forever remain in their debt and have not yet had the chance to pass this great deed on. But I will.
eraffety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 02:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Loving my karma!!!!

Back in 2000 while driving on I-8 in AZ, I saw an elderly couple trying to rollup their awning on the side of the hwy in a stiff wind. I stopped and asked if they needed any help. The smiles that came through their eyes told me that they did and that they were glad that I stopped.
What happen is while they were driving down I-8, a cross wind pulled the awning right off their rig. The awning springs sprung and they were unable to roll it up. He used a small step ladder and I stood on a upside down plastic container. With some luck, the wind was fierce, we were able to get it rolled up & secured.
They both were very thankful, but I just said, "thanks & return the favor to other needing soul".
In August 2000, I was involved in an accident(see:everyone has a story) in YNP. The 1st person on scene was a vacationing Dr from Australia. Talk about karma, I brust c-7 in my neck and I'm walking today because this Dr stabilized my head. If I would have moved, whole different story.
John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 02:44 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
This was just a small kindness ...

but one I remember.

While pulling my SOB TrailManor in North Carolina, I was forced into a sharp curb in a construction zone. There was no place to stop since I was right at the entry ramp to the interstate and traffic was very heavy. I had just hit the bottom end of the ramp when my right rear tire blew.

I pulled off onto the shoulder best I could. I noticed a distinctive truck passing as I got the jack out of the truck. About 10 minutes later, that same truck pulled over and stopped behind me. He had turned around at the next interchange and had come back to help in all that traffic.

He said that his parents had a travel trailer and he hoped that someone would help them if they were in a similar situation.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 10:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Today I used the 2 fire exstinguishers that I carry in my truck to put out a service truck on fire that contained the guys whole business. Two more minutes and it would have been to late. Shook his hand, got in my truck and left. Does that count?

Probably would have never mentioned it to anyone, until I saw this post.

I have had so many acts of kindness given to me, I quit counting. I just try to "pay it forward" now.

-BobbyW

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 12:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
My kind of ice....

Hi all...
Nothing abt A/Ss...But as some of u may kn, that on my '00 visit to FL:, I trashed the minivan, we were all ok, no-one got hurt, a Guy came from a gas station and helped us sort it all out...but b4 I could thank him...he had gone...now maybe a lot of you do NOT believe in Guardian Angels...I DO NOW...and also a BIG thanks to DOLLAR rental...for taking care of the rest, and REPLACING the van...
Well we got back on friday from our latest trip in FL:, where we had a glorious 21 nights vacation...during this trip I had to visit the gents, and when I came out, there was a little Girlie of abt 5 yrs old, asking Daddy for an ice cream...Daddy says they had to find Mummy...as she was looking after Daddies money...as there was an ice cream stand a few yards away, I went over and asked the nice seller if she would do me a favour, of which I paid my $2-50...I moved well away, and nodded my head, the seller took a long multi-coloured lolly over to the little Girl, and her Daddy asked where it came from...the seller replied
a Guardian Angel...the happy little Girl looked skywards and shouted...thank you GOD...
This is a true story...I kn...I was the Guy who paid a small price...for a HUGE reward...the little Girls BIG SMILE...Chris.....
Old 04-17-2004, 06:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Fire

I was towing a 67 Safari to the port a few hundred miles from my home, it was being shipped to England. The truck I was driving had the govenor cover on the transmission come of and sprayed Tranny fluid on the exaust catching the underside on fire and making alot of smoke. I pulled over and got my wife and dog out of the truck and was looking for the key to the Airstream to get the extiguisher to put out fire, when a stranger behind me pulled over and offered his. I think without his help I would have lost the truck and trailer, alot of cash and all my stuff. he also drove to the next town found a phone book and called me on my cell to give me tow companys to call. everything worked out fine and I completed the journy.
Moral of this story, carry a fire extiguisher in the truck too!, I dont think I would have gotten to the keys fast enough.

Mabye this was payback for the hundreds of people I have helped in the past, Even when offered I always told people no payment required as I didnt do it for them, I did it for me!
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote