Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #621
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
I am truly looking forward to meeting you Maggie....you have a great spirit.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #622
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Distemper? Jim
Haven't the foggiest idea what maladies befall raccoons.

I don't believe it was rabies, as there were none of those classic symptoms. I saw Old Yeller many times. Clearly something wrong, tho.

What was most striking was that he was completely unafraid of people.

Maggie
Old 08-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #623
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobum View Post
I am truly looking forward to meeting you Maggie....you have a great spirit.
Thanks, I do try. It's the only way.

Falling into deep depression is something I try to avoid.

Maggie
Old 08-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #624
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Quite the contrary. Maggie always seems so even-keeled and pleasant!

Forgive me Maggie, I just couldn't help myself! Hopefully worth a smile!
Funny, you.

And, anyone who knows me well knows I can and do have a temper, just try to keep it at bay these days.

In retirement, there is much less to aggravate one.

Maggie
Old 08-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #625
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A friend to many of us who have enjoyed her here, TinCrumpet, has sent me this post and photo and asked that I place it here for her.

"Thanks for the emails over the months …
I am extremely sorry I have scantily replied to just a few …. I’m not up to emails and writing on a public forums at the moment..Suffice to say...
Hans and I are plodding along .. and will be returning to the USA next April when he finally retires..
He is worn out so not a minute too soon

We have a master plan of sorts visiting various …our Airstream friends may post the odd ditty of our travels next year .. we shall see what unfolds ..
…A chap we have know for some 30 years..Non Air Streamer ..is more than keen we stay with him at some point …he’s in Washington DC ..
Retired B52 Pilot now working for the Admiral of the CoastGuard ..Aviation sort..his presence is Heaven to Hans Snr..
we are fond of him and at ease in each others company so that could happen …we have invites from others which we have gratefully accepted

Pitch dark here in the East of England…close to the Airstrip and the rains are bucketing down ..
were contented cozy and warm in our Airstream ..
What more could we possibly want.. we have each other .. our loving son ....
and a handful of English..American and German friends ..

For now…
we wish you good health and travels From England …and as Maggie once said ...
“Life is good” …
see you anon……"
Lili Lettice & Hanson Roderick Richard Leatherby” ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	458.6 KB
ID:	219898  
Old 08-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #626
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
thanks for sharing that Maggie.. hugs to the Leatherbys.. and hugs to you... and Lilly too!!! gail
Old 08-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #627
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Those are signs of rabies

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Haven't the foggiest idea what maladies befall raccoons.

I don't believe it was rabies, as there were none of those classic symptoms. I saw Old Yeller many times. Clearly something wrong, tho.

What was most striking was that he was completely unafraid of people.

Maggie
The warnings they health authorities have been posting around here list those very symptoms as a sign of rabies in raccoons and other nocturnal wild animals.

On another, much happier subject…

Please tell TinCrumpet that we are all glad to hear from her and relieved that they are OK. I, for one, had really gotten hooked on her posts and her beautiful pictures of England.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #628
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
The warnings they health authorities have been posting around here list those very symptoms as a sign of rabies in raccoons and other nocturnal wild animals.

That is scary. The raccoon was right next to the Interstate.

Maggie
Old 08-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #629
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Glad the rangers got it. Too bad for the raccoon, but good for people and their pets who might be exposed. Please be sure you and Lilly are OK. IIRC rabies travels via the saliva of the infected animal, so getting bitten is the usual means of infection.

Our daughter had to take rabies vaccine years ago when she worked at a vet's office. They had a dog die of an "undiagnosed central nervous system disorder" and everyone who'd been near the animal took the shots as a precaution. When the state lab came back with the results of their tests, it wasn't rabies after all.

Incidentally, the shots have been much improved and are not as painful as the old timers say they were 'way back when. By the time Kim and her co-workers finished the series of shots, they were skipping the doctor's office visits and giving each other the shots. 25 years later, Kim's no worse for the wear.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #630
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
It does sound like distemper that the raccoons get. Several years ago, I was driving down our driveway, and a smallish raccoon was sitting at the base, in the center, just breathing, but not trying to get out of my way at all. It was breathing so hard I could see its body moving with each breath. I called our animal control, but they said it is very common here and that they don't come out for it. Also said the raccoon would eventually die from it. This is, of course, Ohio. I was and still am concerned for other animals and humans who may get too close to them.

Deb
Old 08-26-2014, 10:53 PM   #631
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Here we have rabid Mexican bats.... true! They infested a Wal-Mart... True!

Why won't ya'll believe me????
Rabies concern after bat bite at Round Rock Walmart | KXAN.com

Nine bats test positive for rabies in Austin

Woman treated for rabies after bat bite at Round Rock Walmart | KXAN.com
Old 08-27-2014, 05:41 AM   #632
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lily and I had no contact with the raccoon, and she is up to date on her shots.

Has cooled off considerably here. Coffee is brewing. Looks like it is going to be a lovely day

Maggie

Evenings on the IPad:

It's just that in the Deep South, women learn at a young age that when the world is falling apart around you, it's time to take down the drapes and make a new dress.”
― Karen Marie Moning
Old 08-27-2014, 08:04 AM   #633
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
I am so thankful to have news from our dear friend in England. I was so afraid they were having bad health issues. I was addicted to her postings. I miss them. I am so glad that you are going in your Airstream. I wish you sunny days. Kay
Old 08-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #634
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Kay.

Maggie
Old 08-28-2014, 06:47 AM   #635
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
59 degrees here this morning. Such perfect sleeping weather.

I had a dream last night that Doug and I were in Italy, one of the places we had planned to go. We had struck up a friendship with a couple of locals, who were cooking us dinner on their rooftop patio somewhere. So real. I would like to think Doug found a way to take me there in my dreams.

A cedar/lemongrass candle is burning, coffee pot is half-consumed, and Lily is curled up next to me. Reading, crocheting, walking Lily, bike riding.....repeat as desired. That is my week here. A tad bit of cooking. Could not be more relaxing and peaceful.

The campground is starting to fill up for the holiday weekend. Peace may be less available the weekend, but that's okay, too.

Going to explore the area in the Interstate a bit today, charge the batteries some, perhaps find a farm stand. Fresh something would be yummy.

Have a good day,

Maggie
Old 08-28-2014, 07:12 AM   #636
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Sounds like a lovely trip to Italy and a perfect start to the day.

I hope the rest of your day is as peaceful.

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #637
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Pagey. You believe, and I like that. Looking forward to talking with you next month.

Had a lovely day yesterday. Temps have been perfect for anything. Poked around the area a bit, didn't find a farm stand but a very nice Jewel/Osco, which served the purpose.

Have been working my way thru cleaning and organizing the cabinets. Have not been down on my knees looking at the lower ones in years....Doug always did that....but my examination was overdue. Men just don't see dirt like women do. They are now cleaner, happier and more sanitary cabinets.

Met and spent some time with a very nice couple in one of those little A-Line pop-ups (there were 3 of these in my loop when I pulled in), who have been coming here for 30+years. They left early this morning, handmade dishcloth in hand.

They told me about this Saturday activity in nearby Chesterton, which looks just too interesting to pass up. Looks very well-established, should be a nice way to spend the day, and will get me out of the campground.

Chesterton's European Market

My first such thing solo, but I'm a big girl and can do this. Need to step out in the world a bit, especially if I am going travel some. Can't spend all my time driving and sitting around. Don't want to become a hermit.

It is strange, at a campsite by yourself. Feels odd to sit outside alone.

One of those myriad of things that improves by doing, I suspect.

Maggie
Old 08-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #638
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The European Market in Chesterton was very, very enjoyable. Got there just before 8am, as things were opening up, as rain is due in later today.

All manner of homemade foods, from pastries and jams to fresh, hot, homemade tamales. One of my favorite foods of all time. Bought a dozen, which will feed me several times. Scrumptious.

Soaps, woodenwares, pottery, glass, jewelry, etc., plus fresh flowers and a large selection of fresh fruits and vegetables. A mental bookmark for a return trip.

Also, a couple of vendors selling homemade dog treats and several places with water bowls out for the all manner of dogs that were welcome and present. Lily was a happy girl, strolling around with me.....in her harness and on her short leash, keeping her alpha-ness in check in a high-stimulation environment.

Admiring items in a booth selling those rather filmy, colorful, poncho-y, scarfy things for women, that can be worn 5 or 6 different ways, I was talking with the lady there about how great these would be for travel. Also, thinking to myself about our trip to Paris in 2012 for our 20th wedding anniversary, when I could have used this very item.

Just then, across the way, a man with an accordion begins playing "La vie en Rose". One of our first days in Paris, a man with an accordion was playing that very song, by the Seine.

I bought a scarfy thing and went to drop some money in the accordion player's bin....and talk to him a minute. He was French, also loves Edith Piaf and was sad for her tortured life. She was born in a brothel, as I recall, and discovered while singing for tips on a street corner.

That particular song is quintessential Paris....and Edith Piaf, who Doug has loved since first learning about her in high school French class. We have a CD of her music, and watched a movie about her very difficult life and career.....could put her CD in and be instantly transported back to Paris....sitting outside, drinking coffee from tiny cups.

Found a laundromat and washed everything up, then got myself back to the campground with only one wrong turn. Widowhood has required learning to drive all over again, paying attention to directions and landmarks, as Doug drove almost all the time and I simply didn't pay attention to such things. I do now.

It's been a nice day, and good to be out among others. One can spend an inordinate amount of time alone, is the truth.

Hope everyone is having a good holiday weekend.

Thanks for being here.

Maggie
Old 08-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #639
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Sounds GREAT Maggie! We like strolling the "farmers market" as called here in the South!

It is amazing how much RICHNESS and beauty can be found within our local communities.

The time of year for these to popup locally is nearing. The Texas heat sorta negates the ambiance in the peak summertime.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:25 PM   #640
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
More synchronicity. And you are never really alone, Maggie. Doug will always be with you and will find ways to remind you.

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Closed Thread