Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:32 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You're all so sweet, and thank you.

There is always the "ignore" button, right?, for anyone who just wishes I would go peddle misery somewhere else. Please, if you care about me.....if you think I am going off the deep end....send me a pm and tell me it's time to shut up.

Went to Social Security Tuesday am, for the little bit of death benefit and slight adjustment to my SS for Doug's higher amount. These sums arrived in my bank account, direct deposit, overnight, less than 48 hours later. Astonishing,

Meanwhile, 2 weeks to the day, and several additional calls later, after I notified SERS of Doug's death, I finally receive their packet yesterday to fill out. A trip to the bank and another back to SS today required for that. Then certified mail, return receipt requested, back to them. Thank you very much.

Am surrounding myself with rose things, as they remind me of Doug. He sent me roses after our first three dates, then always on birthdays, anniversaries, valentine's day, just because, etc.

He gave me a beautiful, framed print of a rose years ago, which hangs in our bedroom.....that has the rose patterned wallpaper.

I have always had an affinity for roses on sleepwear, now am finding sheets, beautiful mugs, etc. i want to see them everywhere In the house that I look. Maybe he is nudging me to them, to remind me he is here with me.

We had a hitch cover made just last year by an artisan in Charleston, SC, (out of a red, recycled oxygen tank) in the shape of a rose. Rides back there by our Doug & Maggie license plate frame.

i have dried and saved every rose petal he ever gave me, in huge glass containers, to be mixed with my ashes and spread on his grave when I am gone.

It is pouring rain here today. Lily really, really hates thunderstorms.

Thank you all. You make an awful situation much more bearable.

XO Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	208873  

Old 04-03-2014, 07:20 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The local news is reporting that a 61 year old man, recently reported killed in a single vehicle accident on Interstate 74 near here, did not die from injuries in the crash.

He died of a cardiac arrhythmia which stopped his heart, that causing his car to veer across 3 lanes of traffic before coming to a stop. The exact same thing that happened to Doug, who was 65.

That man was likely too far gone by the time anyone got to him to revive him. I just happened to be sitting next to Doug on the couch when his event occurred.

These types of deadly arrhythmias are why portable defibrillators are popping up in malls and other public places. If applied quickly, they have the ability to convert something like ventricular tachycardia, which Doug had, to a heart rhythm that will actually move blood and oxygen thru the body, and keep them alive until they can get to an Emergency Room.

By the time Doug's heart returned to a functional rhythm, he had been receiving CPR for over 30 minutes, his brain without adequate oxygen for too long to recover.

Doug's Dr. in Georgia said this type of cardiac event is the most common cause of cardiac death outside of hospitals. Some people have a history of these, can carry portable defibrillators and teach their loved ones to use them. That wasn't our case.

Doug's event could have occurred while we were on a busy interstate, driving up or down a mountain, or in an isolated area where no help was available. Others could have been injured or killed.

There is no upside to this, but it could have impacted others in ways more profound than grief over his death.

Maggie

Old 04-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #87
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
"We had a hitch cover made just last year by an artisan in Charleston, SC, (out of a red, recycled oxygen tank) in the shape of a rose. Rides back there by our Doug & Maggie license plate frame."

Maggie - Did you get that metal rose from an artist named Dan Miner? He used to work with my husband here in Charleston.

We feasted on DO bread at Alumalina in your honor. And Sandlapper John told the lovely story of when he first met Doug. You were missed.

Hope to meet you on the road someday and share some DO recipes.

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes! Dan Miner @ Miner Metals.

Quite the artisan, I told him I wanted a rose and this is what he came up with. We love it, so unique and special, and perfect for us.

I hope to be at Alumalina next spring. Will not get there this fall, as there is a reunion thingy in southern MS I am due at this year. Also very comfortable cousins to spend some time with down there.

I understand a collection for FaithWorks was taken up at Alumalina, too. I have not forgotten or ignored that, think I have finally figured out what to do and how to do a thank you,

Maggie
Old 04-03-2014, 08:22 AM   #89
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Some people have a history of these, can carry portable defibrillators and teach their loved ones to use them.
If they had a history of such events, they would have one implanted. "ICD" (internal cardiac defibrillator). Its like a pace maker; most actually perform both functions (if necesary).
But anyway, yeah, there is a big push to have "AEDs" (automatic external defibrillators) on-hand at sporting events...especially for kids. There was a pro hockey player that was so stricken just a couple of weeks ago...the AED saved his life.
The conditions that cause these events are often difficult to detect, and as a result, the first symptom is too often SCD.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Old 04-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #90
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Jackson , Wyoming
We put AED's in all our local schools two years ago elementary, middle school and high school - we held a big fundraiser and had some matching funds through a grant. These cardiac events are not limited to adults, as Chuck points out. The prices have dropped so significantly these past couple years that they are now available quite reasonably.

I've never been to a Rally, but it seems like it would be a good thing to have an AED on the premises somewhere?

Kathy
Old 04-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #91
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCN View Post
I've never been to a Rally, but it seems like it would be a good thing to have an AED on the premises somewhere?

Kathy
That's actually a really good idea. I'm not so sure about the logistics of it, though, as not everyone attends every rally, so always having it on-hand might be a bit of a problem. Certainly worth exploring. Any idea how much one of these units costs?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Old 04-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #92
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Jackson , Wyoming
Many smaller units are under $1000 now...they are even on Amazon. I have already been thinking of a plan for how that could be implemented at a rally.

Maggie, if you would be interested in discussing that idea via this thread, I'd be happy to brainstorm here. You'd be a great advocate. But if not here, it would be an interesting idea under a new thread.

As I shared with Maggie via PM, my sister unfortunately shared a similar experience last spring. Her husband was much younger than Doug.

Kathy
Old 04-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #93
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Maggie,

Please continue to share your thoughts and feelings as you are able to do so...you have been such a bright light on the forums so let others share their light with you and let us lift your spirits if we can.

annie
Old 04-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
If they had a history of such events, they would have one implanted. "ICD" (internal cardiac defibrillator). Its like a pace maker; most actually perform both functions (if necesary).
But anyway, yeah, there is a big push to have "AEDs" (automatic external defibrillators) on-hand at sporting events...especially for kids. There was a pro hockey player that was so stricken just a couple of weeks ago...the AED saved his life.
The conditions that cause these events are often difficult to detect, and as a result, the first symptom is too often SCD.
Yep.

Maggie
Old 04-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCN View Post
Many smaller units are under $1000 now...they are even on Amazon. I have already been thinking of a plan for how that could be implemented at a rally.

Maggie, if you would be interested in discussing that idea via this thread, I'd be happy to brainstorm here. You'd be a great advocate. But if not here, it would be an interesting idea under a new thread.

As I shared with Maggie via PM, my sister unfortunately shared a similar experience last spring. Her husband was much younger than Doug.

Kathy
I don't think we need to explore AED's on this thread, really. Gets a bit far afield, and it's far afield enough.

My sister-in-law's brother-in-law died 8 months ago from SCD. Came in the door with groceries, dropped dead. No warning, no previous issues, nothing. The EMT's and ER could not help him.

Might behoove us all to educate ourselves about how these arrhythmia's present themselves vs. other issues which can cause unconsciousness, seizure-like activity, etc.

A good First Aid class, methinks. I'm going to find one and sign up.

Maggie
Old 04-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #96
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Just want to say hi maggie, we have never met and my wife and i are new to Aistreaming. I have been following your posts and those of others expressing their respect in Doug's passing. Just now though i saw that you live just 45mins away from us here in champaign. I only checked your hometown when you mentioned SERS, my wife works here at the U of I and is also a SERS participant. Hope all goes smooth for you in regards to that whole deal. So is it safe to assume that Doug worked for ISU? Well anyway, just wanted to send greetings from a close neighbor, you and Doug are obviously loved and respected by many. Im sure we will cross paths at some point. Our first rally will be at moraine view, i thought i read that you will not be attending that one this year. As they say....keep calm and carry on! Best wishes
Old 04-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi mayco, and thank you.

We are indeed neighbors, and I will be attending the Moraine View Rally this year, so we will meet.

Doug and I both retired from the SOI, DCFS in 2007.

This rally is only 20 minutes from our house, and this will be my 5th consecutive year to be there. Lots of folks I feel very comfortable with. You will enjoy it. It was also our first rally, once upon a time,

I have just signed up by phone for an Adult & Child First Aid class here at our local Red Cross, including CPR and AED. This requires online work first, then a 2 hour class with mannequins. End result is a 2 year certification. $85 seals the deal.

Let's do it, folks! Might save the life of a friend, stranger or loved one!

Maggie
Old 04-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Maggie, please do not think that you are speading "misery."

Rather, you are sharing some realities. The kind of reality that may prevent another tragedy from happening.

You may be a bigger friend to the AS community than you'll ever know.

Hang in there, my friend.