Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #771
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
I wish I was there, for the breads and the moonshine....

Old 10-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #772
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lots of nice folks here, too, Vincent.

We kept a fire going all day and had a wonderful potluck.

Those who cared to sipped the moonshine and the final dredges of that jar have been passed to a Missouri man to finish.

Lily and I have retired from the group for the night, and hope to have a bit more of the bed than last night and to therefore sleep better. Lily was feeling the cold and would not settle down unless snuggled next to me....every time she moved, circled, lay down again, she pulled my covers off.

Not as cold tonight....we'll see.

Home tomorrow.

Maggie

Old 10-05-2014, 07:14 AM   #773
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lake Wateree photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	223657  
Old 10-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #774
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Bread baking
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	60
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	223659  
Old 10-05-2014, 07:16 AM   #775
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
More bread
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	52
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	223660  
Old 10-05-2014, 07:19 AM   #776
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Whole wheat mini-loaf from Friday at the boondocking rally
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	50
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	223661  
Old 10-05-2014, 07:21 AM   #777
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Apple sent out snother update yesterday, which appears to have fixed the photo issues.

Maggie
Old 10-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #778
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
That is great news....
Old 10-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #779
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are home from the boondocking rally. A beautiful spot, and nice people, some of whom I knew but most of whom I did not.

Heading home late am, crossed the big river from Hannibal, Mo, east, then into Quincy, Il, reminding me that Doug & I drove to Quincy in 2007......on our very first night of retirement. We were so excited to get on the road, we left as soon as he was home from work and showered, pulling into the WalMart about 11pm.

We kept looking at each other, giggling, and saying "We don't have to go back to work!". What a great time we had. I'm so glad we took that early retirement.

I feared Lily would find duck poop to roll in the wildness of Rudolph Bennitt....which she avoided..... only to roll in rabbit poop in her own back yard while I was unloading the Interstate. I wrestled her into the bathtub and scrubbed her down. Booger dog.

I wished I had a bottle of Jameson at Rudolph Bennitt, as it was very cold a couple of nights. Doug would have made hot whiskies for all, something we learned about one cold and rainy evening on one of our trips to Ireland. I am sipping one as I write.

Hot Whiskey

In a clear, glass mug:

1 shot Jameson Irish Whiskey
1 sugar cube
1 slice lemon, studded with three whole cloves
2 shots boiling water

Stir and enjoy. Will warm you to the very tips of your toes.

Was a grand trip, but 'tis good to be home.

Maggie
Old 10-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #780
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Oh Maggie, your bread looks delicious!! I am so pleased that you are enjoying yourself; it sounds as tho everyone had a grand time.

Speaking of Jameson........Frank bought a bottle one day this past week and when he brought it home, he spoke of Doug again, smiling, and said he was so pleased that Doug had introduced him to it. He really liked Doug. I don't know if you remember, but we met the two of you at Virginia Highland Haven, I believe in September either two or three years ago, at the rally Paula organized.

Also, speaking of moonshine........we now have a moonshine distillery here in our little town of 2,500 +/-, which includes the surrounding farms. We are planning to attend a Chili Cook-off/Anniversary Rally the end of this month and I'm thinking we'll pick up some of the moonshine to take along, we'll offer some up for the auction too.

I thoroughly enjoy your thread.

Deb
Old 10-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #781
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Deb.

I would probably recognize your faces if I saw them.

Maggie
Old 10-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #782
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think when someone dies, there is a process of saying goodbye again and again as we accept the loss. Changing your forum name is part of that. And I'm glad to hear you feel happy again. I'm sure Doug wouldn't want it any other way.

Night driving gets harder for 2 reasons when we get older. One is that our pupils don't contract as fast when someone is coming towards us and our eyes don't adjust quickly to the headlights, so we get blinded for a short time. I notice that happening to me and I try to avert my eyes to the side of the road, but it doesn't help much. The other is cataracts. The lens gets cloudy and we can't see as well at night. Cataract surgery is the most common surgery in the US and it pretty easy though when you look it up and learn how it is done, it doesn't sound so easy for those of us who don't like surgery. Barb had cataracts when she was in her 50's and was very glad to have it done—she went from extremely near sighted to mildly far sighted and only has to use drug store reading glasses to read. You can chose what kind of new lens you want—near sighted, far sighted, adjustable (not sure the last one works all that well). Her night vision is much better. My night vision has always been superior, but I notice a slight difference. I have cataracts, but they hardly affect my vision and I can wait for surgery for many years, I hope.

Gene
Old 10-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #783
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Good to hear from you, Maggie.

There is something about baking bread that is very therapeutic.

And...oh, the aroma!
Old 10-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #784
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Gene.

I do feel it is time to adjust my Forums name, altho am going to keep (formerly doug&maggie) underneath Lily&Me indefinitely. Seems right, feels right.

Now, just need the webminder or whomever the request goes to to make the change. Ahem.

The driving in the dark was quite intimidating. Once I got on the highway, I was fine....getting there thru numerous intersections of varying types was the problem. The lights from other cars were just doing crazy things to my vision. My eye doctor has not seen cataracts, so I have to believe it is just part of the aging process and therefore a concession I need to make.

Quite definitely, doing successfully things we always did together (or Doug did alone) is emotionally strengthening and confidence building. I miss him and think about him constantly, but am feeling pretty good these days and perspective on his death continues to grow. Death is a part of life, is a part of life, is a part of life.

There are still reminders and little bits of him everywhere I turn.

I am putting things away today and mixing ingredients for a loaf of bread, and there in the frig on the bags from the health food store are tiny content/bin# labels with his neat handwriting on them. I feel a need to pull them off and stick them somewhere, to save for posterity. There won't be any more of those.

Lily ran her legs off with other dogs over the weekend, is a pooped pup, and has moved off the couch today only to go potty, eat a bit and drink. Managing her alpha-ness is a work in progress, I am finding. Food, when other dogs are around..... I need to be consciously aware of her any time we are not at home.

Have done the laundry and rugs up today and gotten started on scheduling maintenance for the Interstate and the little house. My to-do list seems quite long, and includes moving some of that mass of firewood into the garage. Building muscle, good for my aging self, I tell myself.

Still sleeping on my side of the bed, at home and in the Interstate, scrunched over at night as if I am just waiting for Doug to come to bed.

I have felt like I need to preserve his spot, a bit of denial methinks, also just in case his spirit self wants to lay down next to me for a bit.

I'm going to work on sleeping in the middle. He's not coming back, spirits need little space, and Lily needs to give over more of the bed to me.

Back to chores.

Maggie