Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 08:33 PM   #757
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Understanding that I never have met you or Doug, I'm pretty sure he would have wanted your happiness above all else... It's what I'd want for Shelly if I head out first. It's incredible how you keep having to make first steps, things I've never thought to teach my wife. Things I've never had her do... She couldn't hitch the weight distribution if she was paid to. That will change now.

Thank you so much for sharing your life. I pray for peace and comfort for you every time I read your thread. Looking forward to the day we bump into you on the road!

-Red

Old 09-30-2014, 04:45 AM   #758
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks so much for your kind words and support.

My new forums name will be Lily&Me (formerly doug&maggie) as soon as the webmaster makes the change.

I have sent in the request. It feels like the right time to do it.

We had a cool and restful night here in the environs of thr Walmart parking lot. I was quite tired, and Lily was exhausted. I tidied and put away, crocheted and read a bit and turned in early.

Will find a place for her to run this morning, pick up a few groceries and proceed on west.

Maggie

Evenings on the IPad:

To spare oneself from grief at all cost can be achieved only at the price of total detachment, which excludes the ability to experience happiness. -- Erich Fromm

Old 09-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #759
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
If you happen to get to Missouri before Thursday there is a state park called Finger Lakes just north of Columbia. It is only about 20 minutes from Rudolf Bennett. Last year they let us dump there on the way home without charge. We plan to use them again on Sunday.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #760
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Alice.

I think Thursday will be the day, not before, as I have miles to go yet.

Got a few things at WalMart this am, (always do a bit of shopping after taking advantage of overnight parking) then went to the "back 40" as Doug would say and turned Lily loose for a bit to stretch her legs and transact necessary business .....then headed northwest and back thru the Smokies.

Beautiful, with the trees turning, but pretty slow going. We are in a lovely PA campground near Bluff City, TN for the night.

3-4 hours of driving, and I am happy to stop. Lily, too, who is sacked out on the couch.

Maggie
Old 10-01-2014, 09:29 AM   #761
3 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Chilhowie , Virginia
Oh!! You were only 45 minutes or so from me!!!
Old 10-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #762
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sorry, Hoobie....I didn't know or we could have had a quick meet-up.

Lily and I were on the road at 5am today, after falling asleep last night at a very early hour. Both of us really, really tired. I'm trying to read, and falling asleep. Lily is stretched out next to me with her head on my shoulder. I finally just turned the light off and we were out in minutes.

Drove 9 hours, I think, and back into central standard time. A very, very long day, but wanted to get close to the rally site.

A concession I need to make to my aging eyes....do..not..drive..in..the..dark. I nearly had a disaster driving in the early morning pitch dark this morning. Too embarassed to share the specifics, but it was bad....could have been fatal. What is it with the darkness and aging eyes?? Whatever it is....I need to avoid driving in it. There has surely been a guardian angel at both my elbows this entire trip.

Stopped at a rest stop....I go in first, then take Lily for a stroll, thinking...if Doug were here, we would take turns walking Lily and going inside. An older-ish man walks out of the buildings in jeans, a khaki shirt, baseball cap...and red suspenders. Classic Doug retirement attire.

But for his beard, the man reminded me so much of him. I had been talking to him today, asking if he had been to Alumalina and seen all the nice people....I feel sure he was there....and telling him that a little sign that he is around would be nice. I'd like to think that spitting image was the sign.

The last time I was on these roads headed west was in March. Glad to be beyond those early days and months.

Boondocking rally tomorrow thru the weekend, then home sweet home. I could have driven on home today, I'm that close, but want to see these folks and do this rally...and, it is good for me to be out and about.

Maggie
Old 10-02-2014, 05:47 AM   #763
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
:-) perfect sign

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:08 AM   #764
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We got settled in early pm, lakeside at the conservation area for this rally. Beautiful, pristine, peaceful area.

Were at a creeping standstill nearly 45 minutes coming across 70 west, due to a huge tractor-trailer that went down, slid on the median a good quarter mile, and obstructed both east and westbound lanes. Looked really nasty, don't know if anyone was hurt or if the truck took any vehicles with it. Had I not stopped for a quick bathroom break and coffee, could have been right there when it happened.

I somewat fear on-the-road events, not having the reflexes nor driving experience Doug had. He out-maneuvered a number of disasters in our 146,000 miles of roaming the country.

There are now four rigs here, more coming in today and tonight...I think 12-14 are expected. Lots of DO cooks coming, so that will be fun, and I have bread setting to bake this afternoon.

Used a cup of Photobum's "corn flour", which he bought 20lbs of and was kind enough to share wth some of we bread-bakers. Kind of a cross between finely and coarsely ground cornmeal. Interesting stuff. Rising up just like it should.....

Doing another half-loaf, going to work on shape, so it is more a small loaf and less a giant hambuger bun.

There are some beautiful photos posted of the Alumalina rally at Lake Wateree, on that thread, several of which I have saved but for which I get error messages when I try to post them here. Some great lake shots, and of our collective breads.

The latest upgrade to the IPad msy be the problm...will work on that when I am home and have access to my 24-hour, tech support....my dear, computer wizard, son....without whose patient support and education we may never have bought or first laptop.

It is cool and crisp here, and the rain has stopped.

Should be perfect weather for a boondocking rally.

Maggie
Old 10-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #765
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Have a great rally Maggie... always looking forward to your adventures... hugs & love, gail...
Old 10-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #766
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Gail. Had an email from our mutual friend last week.

It's cold, windy and raining again, but we have a tent for dinner tonight, and I baked my bread under the awning on Roger & Alice's table.

Alice is the friend who made the beautiful memory quilt I posted a photo of in June after the Moraine View Rally.

Cannot post the photos from the IPad, but the loaf with one cup of the corn flour looks fine. It was a rather wet dough, and I suspect the corn flour doesn't do the same as wheat, so may use this as a 1/2 cup rather than 1 cup substitution in the future. I suspect it will be delicious.

The half loaf came out beautifully. My third try. Texture and taste have been delicious....Barry called it "toothsome" at Alumalina. I folded it into more of a mounded ball than the usual shaping of a full loaf, and that seems to have done the trick. A nicely shaped, mini-loaf.

For those who interested, this is the recipe:

1 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (I like coarse ground)
2 tsp vital wheat gluten
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp yeast
3/4 cup lukewarm water

Mix, let set, etc., per directions for a full loaf. If you have an 8" DO, that would be good...15 coals on top, 10 beneath. If you don't, use the numbers per the full loaf so you get the proper heat. Or, bake in a regular oven per directions.

When I get home, I should be able to post photos from the laptop.

We are all respectively hunkered down, out of the rain. Alice will be over in a bit with her sock-cranker-knitter thingy and I will crochet....and we will visit. I really like having someone to talk with.

Maggie
Old 10-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #767
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
May be the lack of gluten

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
the loaf with one cup of the corn flour looks fine. It was a rather wet dough, and I suspect the corn flour doesn't do the same as wheat, so may use this as a 1/2 cup rather than 1 cup substitution in the future. I suspect it will be delicious.
Maggie
I've been using gluten-free bread mixes since I found out that my stomach doesn't like gluten. All of them make something that looks more like cake batter than bread dough. Baking turns them into bread. Corn flour lacks gluten, and that may be what caused your wet dough.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #768
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That was my thought, and thanks fornthe suggestion.

It looked great, nice and porous, was chewy and delicious.

However, shape wasn't quite what I would like and so will use just 1/2 cup next time.

Maggie
Old 10-04-2014, 07:53 AM   #769
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
Glad to read that it worked out. Hope the rain stops and you get some nice weather. Am in Lubbock, TX and exploring, headed to Santa Fe Wednesday....
Old 10-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #770
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Some stuck long forks on leftover bread this am, and toasted it over the fire. Yum.

The sun is shining today, skies are clear and no rain. Less windy, but still some, making the chill more so.....but it is so much better than yesterday. If Doug had been here, he would have made hot whiskeys for all.

We had elk and moose burgers for dinner last night, along with chili and other appropriate sides. A feast, and we really appreciated hot food.

A couple more trailers have come in....I think we are now at 10, and one more is due.

Baked buttermilk scones in 2 DO's this am, which came out great and went fast.

Some are fishing and kayaking now, I am cleaning things up and readying for simpler, less labor intensive dishes for this evening.

I am pulling out the rest of the Carolina moonshine from the Alumalina rally, and will share it with fellow rally-ers this evening.

Maggie