Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #729
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have re-read this book, and copied down a few, special passages.

Maggie

Vivian has come back to the idea that the people who matter in our lives stay with is, haunting our most ordinary moments. They're with us in the grocery store, as we turn a corner, chat with a friend. They rise up through the pavement, we absorb them through our soles.

Orphan Train, by Christina Baker Kline

Old 09-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #730
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Miss Maggie's picture du jour

Well, problem.
I get this error when attempting upload of pic file:

Error 503 Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable

Guru Meditation:

XID: 206053769

Varnish cache server

Old 09-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #731
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am getting the same error message. Very strange.

Just woods, anyway, nothing terribly special.

Thanks for trying.

The place is filling up with lots of boats, canoes & kayaks.

Maggie
Old 09-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #732
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
In a Pisgah NF campground south of Charlotte. Full hook-ups and showers, everything paved, weak but present wifi. Not going to try to photograph.

Lily and I had an unexpected but nonetheless pleasant drive thru the Nantahala River Gorge this am, via a wrong turn it took me awhile to realize. A beautiful, beautiful area. Driving and navigating is still a challenge for me.

Where I stopped for coffee this am (and a freshly made bacon/egg/cheese croissant), happened upon a book on the history of the Oliver family (i.e. John Oliver cabin in Cades Cove), complete with lots of old photos of people and cabins, family history of how they came to Cades Cove, etc. There are always lots of interesting local history books at these places, also cookbooks.

My daughter-in-law is a descendant of John Oliver, so picked that up for her. She will be thrilled. The Oliver's probably knew the Lea's (my ancestors) back in the day, all living in NE Tennessee.

Will be here til Monday am, then closer to Charlotte for some pre-rally preparations and routine labs Wednesday am before heading to Wateree.

It is absolutely beautiful, perfect, weather here, and hope you are all enjoying the same.

Maggie
Old 09-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #733
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I went to high school with one of the Gregory decendents. His grandparents lived in Cade's Cove and they grazed sheep on what is now known as Gregory's Bald. The flame azaleas are beautiful in the spring.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #734
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is so 21st century, and not something I ever coveted, but I feel really cut-off going very long without a good internet connection. Most of the past week. Am experiencing Airforums withdrawal.

The camp host told me that the only people with any connection at all at the Lake Powhatan campground are those with Verizon wireless, tho .......but even that has been very weak and intermittent. Sat on the ground in front of the Interstate yesterday am to talk with my daughter, as that was where I had a signal.

I have really, really enjoyed the beautiful Smokies and the rustic, but am so ready for some civilization. I guess I'm a town girl at heart.

So, I baked a half loaf (1 1/2 cups of flour) of DO bread yesterday, in my 8" DO. It definitely is going to be doable, but this first attempt was so hideous I just can't post the photo.

Texture and taste were great, but next time I will try it without the parchment paper. The 8" is so small the paper compressed and distorted the shape and prevented it from browning well. Really hideous, more a blob than a loaf. Will work on this and report back.

On to Charlotte today for preparation and provisioning.....then Wateree and Alumalina.

Maggie
Old 09-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #735
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I am going to mix my dry bread ingredients before we head to Alumalina. So, for baking in my 12" DO, should I plan on 3 cups of flour?

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #736
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
3 cups will make a nice sized loaf, but if your recipe calls for a bit less or a bit more it won't matter.

Plenty of room in a 12" to bake most anything.

Maggie
Old 09-23-2014, 06:12 AM   #737
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
After a month of nearly continuous out-and-about, with no boo-boo's, got TWO yesterday.....trying to back myself out of a very tight dead end at a crazily situated U-Haul place, whilst seeking propane.

People kept pulling out of their respective spots, in front of or behind me, rather than someone getting out to offer to help me....a woman, driving this lumbering vehicle, backing out in close quarters. Posts and other inanimate objects kept jumping out to make things more difficult and mar my beautiful Interstate.

Aah, well....Doug-the-driver, who could drive anything, at any time, under any conditions....got one on his last trip. Backed into a tree. He probably wouldn't have driven into that dead-end, tho.

Time for a few days at our favorite body shop when I get home.

I finally found propane, at a gas station that I discovered has a 4.7 gal minimum charge of $19.99. This is what I paid for 3.6 gal of propane. I was incredulous, but just paid it, of course. Ridiculous. Highway robbery of a captive market. All that.

You don't always get the good price....just go with it, I told myself. At least the tank is filled. Spend less, do more, doesn't apply to all things at all times.

It was just one of those days.

Had the NBC Nightly News last night, and now the Today Show. Comfort in what is familiar. Civilization has its definite upside.

Will clean, do laundry, make to-do lists, check for ingredients, etc., today., and do some other in-town choring......including looking for Copa di Vino, which, if you've never had it, is a delicious, Oregon, wine-by-the-glass. First discovered by us a few years ago, in pre-Mardis Gras NOLA. Hard to find in the North.

Have I mentioned I am looking forward to Alumalina? Warm hearts, nearly non-stop visiting, lots of good cooks.

Maggie

from Orphan Train, by Christina Baker Kline:

I've come to believe that's what heaven is.....a place in the memory of others where our best selves live on.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #738
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Findlay , OH
That is a wonderful quote, Maggie. I bought Orphan Train upon your recommendation a week or two ago.

Allyson

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #739
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
One of the most memorable books I have ever read.

There's another passage in there, when the main character finds and reunites in adulthood with a fellow train traveler......something about clinging to each other as if they had survived a shipwreck and couldn't believe they were both alive.

Such an uncannily accurate, visceral, description.

This writer has had some life upheavals of her own, or help from someone who has. It smacks of someone who has been there.

Maggie
Old 09-24-2014, 06:53 PM   #740
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Settled into beautiful Lake Wateree State Park, awaiting the fill-up with shiny silver trailers and friendly people.

Wifi is weak and intermittent, but I have been in touch with my kids and especially my daughter.....10th grandchild is not to be at this time, and she has had a difficult couple of days. Have to believe it is for the best, but it is hard.

Cold and rainy most of today, making me glad I dumped the tanks and filled the fresh water yesterday, after running errands in town. Doug would nod in approval.

I'm sure, if he can as his spirit self, he is amused by my kneeling and contorting with gloved hands to do what is required to empty the holding tanks. I prided myself on never having done this......men's work, he would say, and I agreed, happy to deal with the inside things while he did the dirty work.

Life changes, and we must adapt and go on.

I have a full loaf and a half loaf setting for baking tomorrow. The yeasty smell in here is heavenly.

Going to try stacking them. Will report back, and on the progress of perfecting a half loaf in the 8" DO.

So glad to be here.

Maggie
Old 09-24-2014, 10:40 PM   #741
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Hey yall... Dunno how long this video will be a available.

Look quick! WATCH: High school football player’s incredible post-game speech goes viral - National | Globalnews.ca

Man, I want a copy of his diet!!! Well, maybe not.....
Old 09-27-2014, 04:15 AM   #742
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I woke up this morning to a blinking greennlight on the mifi...meaning it had caught a bit of 4g....so had to quick get on the Forums and check in.

Coffee is percolating, day 4 dawns at Alumalina.

There were 3 units in here on Wednesday, including me, and there has been a steady stream of Airstreams these past 2 days. I think 50 or more units are expected.

Silver and smiling faces, as far as you can see. Have met many I have only known thru their Forums names, and they are as lovely and kind in person as online.

Baked DO bread yesterday and the day before, and it has been happily consumed so would call it a success.

Did stack the 8" on the 12", which worked just like it's supposed to, but neglected to get a photo of the finished products. An error message won't allow me to post the stacking DO's.

Shaping that small loaf is still a work in progress, altho it tastes great.

Going to bake DO bread en masse this morning. I'm sure there will be pictures from others to post.

Very, very nice to be here.

Maggie