Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 06:42 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, I think so.

It seems fantastic, but very comforting.

Maggie

Old 03-29-2014, 11:47 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Little house is scrubbed, rugs washed and floors steamed. Feels so much better seeing order where there was dust and chaos. I like neat and tidy.

Sheets going outside on the line this morning. Doug would approve. One of our favorite things was line-dried sheets.

Dealing with taxes, financial stuff, survivor's benefits, etc. Going to spend the weekend filling out forms and getting things in order for appointments next week. Good thing for me that I was always the one who handled bill-paying, budgeting, monitored the bank account, etc., so am not trying to find my way thru unfamiliar things. I was the OCD-leaning one, but someone's got to be, right?

Did a little shopping yesterday, as multiple grandchild birthdays are coming up. ToysRUs has big sales and I had a $10 coupon.

Resuming Sunday-dinners-at-Grandma's tomorrow, and going to get the grands to come early and help me bring wood in for the week. A good thing, I feel, for them to help grandma, even though I could do it all myself. They are very willing. Such sweet babies.

Started reading Theresa Caputo's book "There's More to Life Than This" yesterday. Fascinating, but hard to grasp. Will be something I will have to read more than once.

Checkin' in, and doing okay. For those who are asking...... yes, I will be reading threads and posting again at some point, I'm sure. Just don't know when.

XO Maggie

Maggie,
Think of you often and admire your forward-positive actions.
Something I do/did when silence seems too much and TV seems too little; is listen to audiobooks while I do chores or hobbies.
Perhaps you'd like this too.
My iPad is of great value to me for this and other reasons.

Let me know how your new DO works out. Sounds great.

A-G-A-I-N, this weekend I'm trying my goofy bread recipe. Maybe the third time will be a charm...charming...the charm?
This recipe, is the one with flax seeds, banana, dates, whole wheat flour.
I end up with bread that is very much the consistency of Play-Dough. I cook it and cook it and it's still this..this...BLOB.
Well, I'll let you know ... Maybe this time ....
Mockinbrd

Old 03-29-2014, 12:00 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Audiobooks are a good idea. Thanks.

I think the new DO combo cooker will be great. The loaf I made up the other day came out perfectly. Am still using the parchment paper, as it is just so much neater, but like not having something so deep and also scorching hot to get the dough into.

Methinks there is something seriously wrong with the recipe you are using. You are missing leavening or something. If you created it yourself, perhaps find a banana bread recipe already tried and true, add a bit of flax seeds and use just half whole wheat flour, the rest unbleached white. If you want to pm it to me, I can tell you what I think.

If you are using a published recipe from someone else, it may have a typo in it.

Maggie
Old 03-30-2014, 05:57 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, our little house is scrubbed and shiny clean, I had line dried sheets on the bed last night, tax documents are ready for drop off.......and I finished Theresa Caputo's book,"There's More to Life Than This".

Just sat in my big chair yesterday afternoon til I was done. A great lot to digest. I need to read it again.

And so, I get up this morning to a sweet, condolence pm from someone here, including mention of a song for me to look up, that she says just has to get to me. Alice by Cheryl Wheeler.

Never heard of the singer or the song, but find it on YouTube and it was written in and about a traveler in Grand Marais, MN, one of our favorite places, and where we have been many times. Beautiful.

Coincidence? I think not.

Getting the Sunday papers today, something Doug always did, for the first time since this happened.

Kids and grands will be over for dinner tonight, and Grandma will cook, like I always do on Sundays when we are home.

Thanks to you all,

XO Maggie
Old 03-30-2014, 07:58 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
[QUOTE=doug&maggie;1432591]Forgot to mention that we have about $900 in donations to FaithWorks, just from the funeral and cards sent. Many other donations I've been told have been sent directly to them. Had an email from Wright Culpepper (one of the great names of all time) that they had received about $600 as of Friday.

Doug has spoiled me so. Such a jump-in-and-help guy, he ran the vacuum, dusted, took out the garbage, chopped vegetables, brought in the firewood, etc. Whatever needed to be done, he was there to help with it.

I was so used to just getting out of bed and on with my day that the bed hadn't been made since I've been home....til this morning, when I made myself go back in and take care of it.

Am signed up for and planning to attend the Moraine View rally in June, which is just 20 minutes from our house. Would have been our 5th consecutive year at that rally, and a place where I will feel very comfortable.

A new normal, as they say.

I'd rather not, but here it is.

Thanks to you all,

Maggie,
I am so glad that you are still planning on attending the Moraine Rally. We are going to be in the site next to you and I am looking forward to meeting you. You have been in our prayers for the last couple weeks as well. This will be our first Air-Forums Rally and maybe you can be our mentors as newbies to the rally. Continued prayers for you as your start your "new normal" journey.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:20 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Maggie;

Sometimes it helps to remember that the new day is a gift to be cherished. What we do with that time can be rewarding to both body and soul.

Lou

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 03-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, folks.

Looking forward to meeting you and the other newbies at Moraine View, too, kswelsh. We were newbies once upon a time. Seems like so long ago.

Those spots at the lake end of the loop are the coolest in the campground. Even when it's hot, a nice breeze comes up from the lake.

This is a great rally with great people, some of whom have been every year since it started. I think this is year 12....???

Maggie
Old 03-30-2014, 10:13 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Maggie, I know what you mean about clothesline dried sheets, there is something so luxurious and decadent feeling about them. They bring back so many memories of my childhood; the scent is undeniably wonderful and I use the clothesline whenever possible.

After receiving rain/sleet/2" of snow yesterday, we awoke to sun and more sun which is so beautiful! Hoping you are enjoying this sunshine as well.

Deb
Old 03-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, the sun is shining brightly here, as well.

Doug is smiling, too, I feel.

Maggie
Old 03-31-2014, 07:21 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lest I give in to the temptation to just whine, suffice it to say that I am alive and doin' okay.

Nothing really to post this am, a busy week ahead.

XO Maggie
Old 04-01-2014, 05:13 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My sweet son is doing dvd's for all of our kids (5 between us) of the photo slideshow and some of Doug's favorite music that we played during visitation. Going thru these with him Sunday evening put me into a bit of a funk.

Crocheting in my big chair mid-day yesterday, feeling a bit sorry for myself, a favorite frozen yogurt place of ours suddenly popped into my head, so I took Lily and went to get some. Lily always gets a bit of the vanilla.

The sweet young lady who runs the place was alone in the shop, recognized me from our many prior visits and called a greeting, and so I told her about Doug. As we talked, she began to cry, said her sister had been in a terrible car accident last week, was in ICU and not expected to live.

The family is struggling with some specific issues related to her sister's sudden incapacitation, which I was able to provide concrete, informational help with due to my work experience/former occupation. (You're always "on".)

I left there feeling I had done some small bit of good, and that there was a reason I felt a sudden urge to visit this place. My mood lifted some and I felt more focused on positives. I helped her a bit, and helping her helped me a bit.

A new day. Up early, but slept pretty well. More post-death-of-a-spouse things to deal with today, and Lily to doggie day care to run her little legs off cavorting with like-minded canines.

I remind myself of something I have said to others many times......"this is a process, not an event".

Thanks to you all for the pm's and support.

XO Maggie
Old 04-01-2014, 05:30 AM   #68
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Lest I give in to the temptation to just whine, suffice it to say that I am alive and doin' okay.
Nothing really to post this am, a busy week ahead.
XO Maggie
My dear lady..whine ??? far from it ..
Id be in a crumpled heap in your sorry place…
Maggie…PM the dates ..and if I'm well enough we most certainly will
and depending on your kind permission may even show on here…
Old 04-01-2014, 05:40 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCrumpet View Post
My dear lady..whine ??? far from it ..
Id be in a crumpled heap in your sorry place…
Maggie…PM the dates ..and if I'm well enough we most certainly will
and depending on your kind permission may even show on here…
I let Lili know by pm that my son will soon be in London for work. If she is able, might meet her by proxy.

Maggie
Old 04-01-2014, 05:52 AM   #70
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
I let Lily know my son will soon be in London for work, and that if she is able I might meet her by proxy.
Maggie
We can surely make one of the dates
I have Exercise Tiger Memorial.. I think at the end of the month
which is at Slapton sands..
Hx1 is off to University for a Model Aircraft week end
If he is coming to England more than once..
I cannot see why we cant make it one of the dates
we'll take him on a grand London tour of sorts