Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #547
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
thanks again Maggie... your thoughts about the Forum made my eyes misty.. yes, it is an amazing group of folks here... hugs, gail...

Old 08-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #548
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
'Tis Friday.

Little house has been cleaned til it sparkles (it got skipped last week), a couple of loads of laundry done and outside to dry.....and, I made more jam!

Jam is one of those things I make when the mood strikes me and fresh fruit is at a bargain price. Cannot have one without the other, as the frugal oriented, bargain hunter in me will not make jam without good prices for fruit.

Raspberries at 5/$5 and nectarines at $.99/lb beg for nectarine-raspberry jam.

Delicious, and beautiful to behold, in clear glass jars.

Nectarine-Raspberry Jam with Drambuie and Cointreau

1 1/2 cups sugar
5 tablespoons Ball Instant Pectin
2 cups peeled, chopped nectarines
2 tablespoons Drambuie
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons Cointreau or Grand Marnier
2 cups raspberries

4 or 5, 8 ounce jars

Stir instant pectin thoroughly into sugar.

Combine nectarines, liqueurs and lemon juice in saucepan. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook, stirring constantly, until nectarines are soft and transparent, about 5 minutes.

Remove from heat and let cool 15 minutes. Add raspberries, stir well, then crush all with a potato masher.

Stir cooked fruit and sugar/pectin mixture together for 3 minutes. Ladle into jars, twist on lids and let stand til thickened, about 30 minutes.

Refrigerate til chilled, then freeze. Yum!

Have a good weekend,

Maggie

Old 08-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #549
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Oh Maggie, you just made my day!! I love recipes............actually, I collect them! Can't wait to make some.

Deb
Old 08-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #550
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have read your posts from the beginning of this new chapter in your life. You have shown tremendous growth in outlook and self assurance. We were never promised grins and tickles every waking moment.

Some thoughts from passed on relatives and a program I have belonged to for over 23 years.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.

Depression - upset about yesterday
Anxiety - upset about tomorrow
Tranquility - living in the moment

Acceptance is the best tool one has.
We are powerless over people, places and things.
We can only control our own thoughts.

All the best.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 08-16-2014, 05:21 AM   #551
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, switz.

Your quotes are good ones. Words to live by.

There are many deep thinkers out there, who have put pen to paper and thus helped the rest of us.

Maggie

Evenings on the IPad:

Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be.

Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
Old 08-17-2014, 07:47 PM   #552
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Have been making soy candles with essential oils this weekend....cedar with lemongrass, and rose with lavender. I do love a candle in the dark of the mornings, while I sip my coffee and check the Forums.

Also made another batch of jam, using up the rest of the fruits I bought.....my freezer now well stocked with jars to consume on good toast, and to be shared.

Finally got myself to list 1/2 the pair of folding bicycles we bought last year, and rode together last the morning of March 9th. His was not going to increase in value, sitting in my garage, and what do I need with two.

My son was sure it would not sell easily....being a niche item, sort of like Class B Motorhomes. However, after just one week, I sold it this morning to a very nice young woman who has just moved here with her husband to attend graduate school at ISU.

Theatre majors, both, they also left with a bonus jar of freshly made jam. I have this strong need to feed people, do not know why, suspect in that previous pioneer life I cooked for the wagon train going west. It is that visceral.

The grands all go back to school tomorrow, and next weekend is the annual Sweet Corn Festival downtown. Have not been home for that since 2006. Hundreds of ears of good, midwest sweetcorn is cooked, buttered, and consumed by throngs of people.

Summer is almost over.

Maggie

Evenings on the IPad:

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start.
~ Nido Qubein
Old 08-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #553
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Yummmm! I love fresh sweet corn.

Your jam sounds good also. I do grape jelly every summer, using the native wild grapes that grow in this area.

Mimi
Old 08-17-2014, 09:43 PM   #554
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
wild blackberry's in Oregon... makes wonderful jelly...hugs to you Maggie, sounds like you have been busy!!!
Old 08-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #555
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
DIR1 -- hi. I was wondering, when you speak of the Oregon wild blackberries, would that be "Marion Berries"? I ask because back in the mid '90's my DH and I traveled to Oregon and went along the coast to Seaside. There we "discovered" a wonderful restaurant called "Doogers", spelling is probably wrong. Anyway, they had the most fabulous Marion Berrie cobbler -- to d-i-e for!! Also, fantastic shrimp salad (green salad with fresh, tiny shrimp atop).

Here, in Ohio, we have something a little similar, but we call them "Thimble berries", but they don't have quite the same taste.

Deb
Old 08-18-2014, 06:03 PM   #556
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Hello Deb.. no, these are wild blackberries... Himalayan BlackBerrys to be exact... Luther Burbank, in California, developed them some time in the late 1800's, I'd guess... his version were thornless and sold around the country...

Eventually they reverted back to having thorns and went feral... they are probably all over the US... the climate up here is perfect for them so they are abundant.. A very invasive species... however, they are wonderfully delicious!!! but don't turn your back on them, they will take over...

The Marion Berry is very popular up here also... most restaurants have something Marion Berry on the menu... I'm not sure of it's history... I'll go look it up!!!

Hope your visit to Oregon was a good one... hugs, keep having fun!!! gail
Old 08-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #557
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have wild strawberies growing in my back yard.

Maggie
Old 08-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #558
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Had the Interstate checked over today.....all is well, no surprises, as Doug would say. With the new coach battery, and everything deemed in good working order, there shall hopefully be no untoward events while away from home. I do need to learn how to check tire pressure and fill the tires.

Am not going to be able to head south/east til after the 7th of September, when I have a must-attend dental appointment. I'll spare you the details. So, have decided to take Lily north a bit next week, and find a lovely national lakeshore spot to sit in for awhile....where we can bike ride, walk by the water in the early mornings, watch sunrise and sunsets, and practice low-key traveling, sans hubby. It will be cooler up there, and I need to be away for awhile, I just do.

I notice some perspective settling in, regarding Doug's death. Perspective, for lack of a better way to describe it....where I feel more like one who is looking at it, rather than feeling in it? Hard to describe, but I think it is a good thing, and probably a natural outcome of doing life and time passing. Maybe, also, my determined, daily, efforts to let go a bit.

His daughter is feeling similarly, although describes a feeling of having "very heavy shoulders", which I am not experiencing. Some residual things on her that she will have to deal with. She's a good woman, and she will.

Found a pattern using the fabric yarn principle that makes bowls. Had some hemp rope here that is working up into a large-ish bowl beautifully, and I think you could use anything for this that would lend itself to a crochet hook.

Fun, and fills some of my time. Now, for something different to look at.

Maggie

Evenings on the IPad:

Time heals almost everything. Give time time.
Regina Brett
Old 08-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #559
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
I do need to learn how to check tire pressure and fill the tires.

Trust me, it's easy. Most of us learned as kids with bicycles. Car and Airstream tires work the same way.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:55 PM   #560
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
If you like Marion Berries google Eva Gates....warning.....$$$$$$$