Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 09:40 PM   #741
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Hey yall... Dunno how long this video will be a available.

Look quick! WATCH: High school football player’s incredible post-game speech goes viral - National | Globalnews.ca

Man, I want a copy of his diet!!! Well, maybe not.....
Old 09-27-2014, 03:15 AM   #742
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I woke up this morning to a blinking greennlight on the mifi...meaning it had caught a bit of 4g....so had to quick get on the Forums and check in.

Coffee is percolating, day 4 dawns at Alumalina.

There were 3 units in here on Wednesday, including me, and there has been a steady stream of Airstreams these past 2 days. I think 50 or more units are expected.

Silver and smiling faces, as far as you can see. Have met many I have only known thru their Forums names, and they are as lovely and kind in person as online.

Baked DO bread yesterday and the day before, and it has been happily consumed so would call it a success.

Did stack the 8" on the 12", which worked just like it's supposed to, but neglected to get a photo of the finished products. An error message won't allow me to post the stacking DO's.

Shaping that small loaf is still a work in progress, altho it tastes great.

Going to bake DO bread en masse this morning. I'm sure there will be pictures from others to post.

Very, very nice to be here.

Maggie
Old 09-27-2014, 05:52 AM   #743
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Maggie,
Nice to read how well you are getting along.

A suggestion that came to mind. Consider getting a pair of orange cones. If you need a few extra seconds to back out, just put the cones up in the main road to act as your spotter. I would think that most folks would get the idea and you could then proceed with a more cautious and careful backing up. (and might be good also if you had a tire change or other roadside need).

Piggy Bank
Old 09-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #744
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Maggie,
Nice to read how well you are getting along.

A suggestion that came to mind. Consider getting a pair of orange cones. If you need a few extra seconds to back out, just put the cones up in the main road to act as your spotter. I would think that most folks would get the idea and you could then proceed with a more cautious and careful backing up. (and might be good also if you had a tire change or other roadside need).
Hi, Maggie; This is a good idea, mentioned by Piggy Bank. I have three orange cones. I have them in case I need to do a repair on the side of the road and they can help with parking too. Just don't forget them and leave them in the camp ground when you leave.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #745
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Besides cones there are red triangles you can get to warn drivers something is in their way. The triangles fold up and take less space than cones. In many states you are supposed to have the triangles when you are stuck by the road. We bought a couple and a few cones years ago, but have never used them. I'm glad we have them if we ever need them.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:39 PM   #746
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'll ponder purchasing cones, and finding someplace to stash them , but what I really needed was for someone to step up and offer to help me back up and out of that dead end and very narrow parking lot.

Alumalina is officially over. We Dutch Oven'ers did massive and nearly non-stop cooking of something all weekend, and cranked out a lot of good food including a number of loaves of delicious bread. I'm sure pictures will be coming.

Most of us still here got together for a post-rally happy hour, potluck and campfire tonight. Been a great gathering of the best kind of people, and wonderful to spend time not only with old friends but new friends I had formerly only known thru Forums names.

I am reminded how fortuitous it was that I went thru the shock and loss of my husband within the loving arms of this Airstream community. I tell you, folks, you cannot begin to know what it has meant to me, and, once again, I thank you.

Heading out in the morning and am going to visit John Leake's workshop in York as my first stop......I want to see the shop of this fine and good man who makes his living crafting antique reproduction furniture. No small feat, that.

I tell John that it is he who has drawn together the people and made the Alumalina rallies such a success......he is too modest to accept that, but we all here know that it is true. He is a good leader, and the tone and character of his rallies reflect that.

And so, I have seen what John does with his heart...now want to see what he creates with his hands.

Going to make my way to the boondocking rally in Missouri next weekend, where there will be Moraine View friends, then home shortly thereafter.

Been a good trip, and I've been thinking this is a good time to change my Forums user name.....thinking to Lily&Me (formerly doug&maggie).

Thoughts?

Maggie
Old 09-28-2014, 07:59 PM   #747
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie... you trip sounds like it's been going great!!! I totally enjoy following your adventures.... Lily & Me... sounds good.. has a ring to it... Hugs and love to you two...gail
Old 09-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #748
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
perhaps

Lilly(doug)& Me
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 09-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #749
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Lily & Me sounds great!
Old 09-29-2014, 04:03 AM   #750
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I read your post to Bob and he promptly said "go for it". I agree. "Lily&Me" has a very good feel, if you know what I mean.

Safe travels, friend.

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #751
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The creations at John's are, of course, stunningly beautiful. No surprise, there, but wanted to see it.

Another first, sans husband.....a WalMart parking lot for the night tonight. What could be safer.

First day out after a rally always feels a bit choppy, and Lily is exhausted , so did some laundry, checked in with my kids and drove only a couple more hours before stopping for the night. Will pull myself and things together and set out fresh in the am.

Changing my Forums name to Lily&Me, as I start this next chapter.

Chapter 1: Pray for Doug thread.
Chapter 2: A Very Different Kind of Life thread....the first 6 months
Chapter 3: A Very Different Kind of Life thread....the second 6 months.

The weekend was so enjoyable, surrounded by so many kind and caring people....that I have felt...happy......again. I know it's okay to feel that way....I tell myself. I feel a bit guilty, like it's disrespectiful to Doug and our life together....but think it is just me struggling between honoring and respecting him/our life together, while also taking care of myself and living/being in and acknowledging the present.

Made my reservations for Alumalina March 2015 at Wateree this morning, also for the second and third weeks of March at Edisto Beach. This will have us at Edisto for the first anniversary of his death, when I will surreptitiously feed the last tube of his Ritz crackers...which I can't bring myself to part with....to the seagulls.

The beach campground at Edisto Beach State Park was probably our favorite place in the US, so will be the perfect place to end this first year.

It feels good to feel good, and it is okay.

Maggie
Old 09-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #752
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
You could name the Interstate "The Lily Pad" too.

ya know, like groovy, man.

As for honoring Doug, is there a better way than showing how he enriched your life - by continuing it with grace and joy?
Paula
Old 09-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #753
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
What Paula said!!
We enjoyed having you as a neighbor for the weekend.
Safe travels.
Al and Pat

Follow us at two bikes + an Airstream. http://Airgo.blogspot.com

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
Old 09-29-2014, 05:07 PM   #754
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobikes View Post
What Paula said!!
We enjoyed having you as a neighbor for the weekend.
Safe travels.
Al and Pat

Follow us at two bikes + an Airstream. http://Airgo.blogspot.com
And you.

Maggie
Old 09-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #755
3 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Chilhowie , Virginia
I'm following no matter what you call it, I do love Lily&Me tho!!
Old 09-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #756
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I'm following also. Your like a daily dose of inspiration. I like Maggie & Lil in the Lilly Pad. ;o)

Hittenstiehl
Old 09-29-2014, 07:33 PM   #757
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Understanding that I never have met you or Doug, I'm pretty sure he would have wanted your happiness above all else... It's what I'd want for Shelly if I head out first. It's incredible how you keep having to make first steps, things I've never thought to teach my wife. Things I've never had her do... She couldn't hitch the weight distribution if she was paid to. That will change now.

Thank you so much for sharing your life. I pray for peace and comfort for you every time I read your thread. Looking forward to the day we bump into you on the road!

-Red
Old 09-30-2014, 03:45 AM   #758
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks so much for your kind words and support.

My new forums name will be Lily&Me (formerly doug&maggie) as soon as the webmaster makes the change.

I have sent in the request. It feels like the right time to do it.

We had a cool and restful night here in the environs of thr Walmart parking lot. I was quite tired, and Lily was exhausted. I tidied and put away, crocheted and read a bit and turned in early.

Will find a place for her to run this morning, pick up a few groceries and proceed on west.

Maggie

Evenings on the IPad:

To spare oneself from grief at all cost can be achieved only at the price of total detachment, which excludes the ability to experience happiness. -- Erich Fromm
Old 09-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #759
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
If you happen to get to Missouri before Thursday there is a state park called Finger Lakes just north of Columbia. It is only about 20 minutes from Rudolf Bennett. Last year they let us dump there on the way home without charge. We plan to use them again on Sunday.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:15 AM   #760
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Alice.

I think Thursday will be the day, not before, as I have miles to go yet.

Got a few things at WalMart this am, (always do a bit of shopping after taking advantage of overnight parking) then went to the "back 40" as Doug would say and turned Lily loose for a bit to stretch her legs and transact necessary business .....then headed northwest and back thru the Smokies.

Beautiful, with the trees turning, but pretty slow going. We are in a lovely PA campground near Bluff City, TN for the night.

3-4 hours of driving, and I am happy to stop. Lily, too, who is sacked out on the couch.

Maggie