Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #681
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Air Cruiser-that is an excellent suggestion for organizing information.

There is a free app called evernote that is great for storing this kind of info. You can access your info from multiple devices, and make lists, store photos, and it is searchable.

Piggy Bank
Old 09-10-2014, 07:25 AM   #682
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Harpeth River Bridge

There was the most gorgeous sunset here last night.

I took this photo with the IPad, cropped it a bit and saved.....it still posts upside down, but if you click on it it opens rightside up.

Going to be hot here today....but there's AC. Going to cool off after that.

Just paid for 3 more nights.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	221411  
Old 09-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #683
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
=} that is a nice spot you are in!
Old 09-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #684
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Piggy Bank, thanks for the info on the app; I haven't done apps yet, although I've thought about it. I guess it's time to start!

Maggie, we just love COE campgrounds! They are the first type we look for when traveling; I have a feeling this one will be on our list! There is one in West Virginia (off of I-77) which is supposed to be very nice, we haven't been to yet, the only drawback is -- no pets allowed! I've read that it is very difficult to get a site there.

Your and Lily's trip sounds wonderful so far, looking forward to seeing/hearing more of it. Have a fun and safe trip.

Deb
Old 09-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #685
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And, it's not the prettiest spot here.

There are a couple at the end that are rather isolated from the rest. Not only are they occupied, but here I am right across the road from the bathhouse.

When you have a wet bath the size of mine, you use public showers when they are available.

Was talking with the camp host this am who said this place is usually full, all the time. Most folks stay from Sunday to Sunday, and on Sunday mornings people are lined up to get spots coming open.

There are several sites, and a couple of tent spots, still open, but several rigs came in last night.

Great blue herons here (I think that's what they are), and a number of people with their own boats or pontoons docked at their site.

The entire campground is on what must be a little finger of land, as there is water on both sides.

A find. 'Twas meant to be.

Maggie
Old 09-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #686
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Deb.

We have never been in a COE campground that wasn't good. Sites always seem to be paved, everything is neat and tidy.

Paved sites may not appeal to campers, but then.....we're not really camping, we're traveling in a tiny house on wheels.

Paved tracks so much less stuff inside. I can take off my shoes, but Lily....

Maggie
Old 09-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #687
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
I am in the Ozarks, and headed East on Friday...
Old 09-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #688
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, if you want to stop here for the weekend, I think you can park in my site, if there is nothing else free.

Or, even if there is something free, there is plenty of room in mine. Whatever you prefer.

There are two in the site next to me, so doubling up is apparently allowed, and no reservations are taken.

We'll be here. Going to pm you my contact info.

Maggie
Old 09-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #689
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
When you get a chance, check out Edgar Evins state park about an hour east of Nashville, TN. Very cool campground. The campsites are on large decks hanging over the side of the hill. WE drove in there and thought "no way!" with our big heavy truck and trailer. Then we saw a big motorhome parked on one.

The tenters use nails instead of stakes. They are supposed to remove them, but be sure to check before you park.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #690
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Alice, might look at that after I leave here.

Maggie
Old 09-11-2014, 05:56 AM   #691
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Awake in the night, trying to go back to sleep, the refrain from "I Walk in the Garden Alone" starts to play in my mind. 6 months tomorrow.

Absolutely beautiful sunrise and sunset here.....reflected off the water, which surrounds.

One has to pay for, and occupy, a site here....simultaneously. No paying for it to hold it, but leaving it vacant.

And so, the site next to mine has one of those children's, indoor, tents on it.....aqua blue with a purple top, and a caricature of some sort.

We're taking a tootle thru Ashland City and into the near-reaches of Nashville this am, to pick up a few things at the grocery store, and that wayward prescription at Walgreen's. Heavy rain due in here.

Maggie
Old 09-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #692
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Temps have dropped about 20 degrees, and the humidity along with it, so my windows are open and the AC off for the first time since I arrived here 3 days ago.

Looking forward to sitting outside and perhaps burning the firewood that has been left in my firepit.

Photobum plans to be here Saturday. We will meet, play Scrabble, and have a pre-rally visit.

For many years in my pre-retirement life, and for a very long time afterward, I could not read for pleasure as my mind could not be still to concentrate. Have I ever mentioned that the State of Illinois child welfare system is a terrible place to work? Doug and I always joked about writing a book, but that it would have to be presented as fiction because no one would believe it was the truth.

With time and some emotional distance, the pleasure of reading has returned, but it has generally been more a way for me to fill time than a first choice of what to do. Some books really grip and fascinate me, most are just something to read, a way to pass time. Not so, my Doug, an omnivorous reader.

E-readers are wonderful for travel, taking up less than the space of a single, hardcover book, and something to read is always available.

I have been reading this most extraordinary novel on my Nook, based on real events that occurred 100-150 years ago. It is about the orphan trains used by the Children's Home and Aid Society, that took to the West thousands of abandoned, allegedly or actually, orphaned and runaway children from the streets and shelters of New York City. This was before laws which at least try to protect the rights of children and parents, but that's another story.

They cleaned these children up, trotted them off to present to prospective families at train stops along the way, and essentially gave them to anyone who agreed to care for them, educate them, and give them a home. Those that weren't picked went on to the next stop. True.

Some of these children landed in loving homes and fared well, but many, many did not. When a home didn't work out, the child was moved to another. Rather like the well-meaning foster care system today. Not necessarily the fault of the parents, but also stemming generically from the myriad of difficulties inherent in taking in children that are not ones own.....with all the child's history, good and bad, having shaped what presents itself in behavior, attitudes and emotions to caregivers.

I have read a lot about the orphan trains over the years, as the concept and practice both fascinated and horrified me. This is, without a doubt, the best book I have ever read on the subject. The descriptions of the abrupt moves and the feelings of profound loss and despair of the main character are so, uncannily, accurate.

If you want to read a very well-written book about this period in history, I highly recommend this. This is a really gifted writer, and a book based on real events.

I expect this one may keep me up a bit at night. I will definitely read it again, and copy down some of the uncannily accurate descriptive passages.

Orphan Train | Christina Baker Kline

Maggie
Old 09-12-2014, 06:10 AM   #693
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
There is a similar story of children who were shipped from England to Australia. Heartbreaking.

DSS here is ridiculously overwhelmed. Too many single moms with too many children fathered by too many different men. Throw in drugs and alcohol and the system just can't get caught up and children fall through the cracks.

Just went to Amazon and downloaded Orphan Train to my Kindle. Thanks for the recommendation, Maggie.

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:17 AM   #694
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have read of the England to Australia somewhere.

I'm sure intentions were best, finding homes for otherwise uncared for children and giving them opportunities they otherwise would not have. And, many times there were happy endings. I was in a class with a young woman years ago, whose grandmother came west on the orphan trains, and had a very good life.

It's just such a complicated issue for humanity, period.

I think children's services everywhere are overwhelmed, from what I read and those I talk with. Can't do nothing, very difficult to get it just right.

This is a really good book.

Maggie
Old 09-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #695
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, Photobum (aka Vince) arrived yesterday, and we had a very enjoyable visit.

Shared supper last night and breakfast this am, and he is on to meet with friends in Nashville. Nice man, and nice to have someone to talk with.

There is a flock of egrets here, as well as that great blue heron. The camp hosts said there is also an owl in residence, tho we have not seen it.

Temps last night dropped to 59 degrees. Such perfect sleeping weather, and prompts pulling out a sweatshirt. My favorite time of year.

Going to clean and tidy a bit today, refill the fresh water tank, and head out in the am toward the Smokies. I am craving those mist-covered hills, and a bit of elevation.

12 days til Alumalina.

Maggie

Evenings on the IPad:

“Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.”
― Charles Chaplin
Old 09-14-2014, 05:10 AM   #696
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Yes it was enjoyable...

Saw Fiddler on the Roof last night, and it was a superb production. Peter did an excellent joy as Tevy, and afterwards we had 14 for dinner, got back to the park at 2AM. My friends Bob and Becky will be picking up their 25 ft 2004 Serenity this coming weekend, trading in their 16 ft Bambi. They are so excited....
Old 09-14-2014, 05:34 AM   #697
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Are they coming to Alumalina?

They could probably squeeze in somewhere, if they wanted to make the trip.

Maggie
Old 09-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #698
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lily and I were off early this morning and to the laundromat in Ashland City, everything from the week now washed and smelling sweet.

I decided Sunday morning deserved breakfast out, so had a sausage biscuit and coffee to go from the Sunrise Cafe next door.....for the exorbitant price of $2.73.

In the land of everyone, male or female, opening doors and calling you "darlin'". I love Tennessee.

Navigated us without incident through Nashville, which was hopping with a Titans game today. Wanted to see the town, and pehaps catch a glimpse of someone famous....no luck there.

Did spy a very interesting looking Farmers/Flea Market going in that would have been fun to visit, but for it being so late in the am that I didn't want to deal with the crowds.

Ribs, green beans and slaw to go from a roadside diner in Alexandria....Sunday dinner on the road, and no dishes. It is really hard for me to sit by myself in a restaurant. So painfully minus my spouse.

We have settled into another COE campground...Ragland Bottom just east of Smithville. Backed up to the lake, across from the bathhouse, and absolutely beautiful.

They are giving away free DVD's here, of all the COE campgrounds in the country. I begged an extra for a doorprize at Alumalina.

I am sending a photo to Channing to post for me, right side up. You can't tell by the picture, but I have the rear doors open to the lake, air drying some damp clothing.

Going to head tomorrow for Bean Station, where my ancestors over 200 years ago posted mail to their family who had moved to southern Mississippi. Just need to have my feet at that crossroad.

It is good to be out and about. Hope everyone has had a wonderful weekend.

Maggie
Old 09-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #699
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Let's try a copy from inside
Ragland Bottom Coe - Miss Maggie at "Ragland Bottom COE" Photo Gallery
Old 09-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #700
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Channing.

Seems like way too much effort, to me. I do not understand why pictures from the IPad invert.

We may just be pictureless, from here on out. Or, I can post them inverted because tapping on them turns them rightside up.

I am halfway thru a book Photobum loaned to me, about the Anasazi of the Southwest. Fascinating.

Maggie