Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #449
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The spare key arrived via FedEx at 8:45am this morning.

Had the tanks emptied and was on the road a mere 30 minutes later. I'm getting better at the tank-dumping thing.

Parked by Val's beautiful garden. This will be the nicest week I have had in nearly 4 months.

Maggie

Old 07-04-2014, 08:21 AM   #450
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
More good weeks to come.,,! Be good. Jim

Old 07-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #451
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
happy 4th everyone!!!
Old 07-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #452
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Val's sweet husband has put air in the tires of my folding bicycle, which I haven't been on since Doug & I took a bike ride the morning of March 9th.

I'm going to take a bike ride in a bit, and get myself back into that regular routine.

Good for my aging bones.

Maggie
Old 07-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #453
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIR1 View Post
happy 4th everyone!!!
Yes, indeed.

It is a beautiful day here in northern Minnesota.

Maggie
Old 07-04-2014, 09:46 PM   #454
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My friends here were born and raised in Minneapolis-St. Paul, where I met them in 1968 when I came up here to go to school to become a Physical Therapy Assistant......my first degree and profession.

Val & I were classmates, then roommates, and Steve was her high school sweetheart. They have been together most of their lives, and Doug's sudden death has been a a shock for them.

It has been a rather tearful day particularly for she and I, talking about him and prior visits we had with them together.

I prepared country-style ribs, Illinois BBQ style, which Steve cooked on their propane grill.....one of Doug's favorite foods.....but he was a purist, and would have used charcoal.

Val nursed a brother thru AIDS years ago, when it was a newly discovered disease and largely untreatable, and was with him when he died. Partly because of that experience, but also because of others, she firmly believes in life after death.

She suggested I read "Forever Ours", by Janet Amatuzio, MD, Minneapolis coroner. I found it in "Oyster", a birthday gift from my daughter and her husband, and it is an interesting, comforting read.

There are two books by this Doctor, I believe..... both recounting, one after another, experiences related to her by others. If anyone is interested....

I could stay up and finish this book, but am going to make myself get to bed....because, at first light....I will be awake and looking for coffee.

It is good to be here.

Maggie
Old 07-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #455
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I like the north, so when we can, we go north until we run out of roads. Northern Minnesota sounds like a good place to be for the holiday. Looks like you are doing a little bit more of everything with each week. Good for you Maggie.

Gene
Old 07-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #456
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are talking, cooking together, talking, cooking together, crocheting, talking, doing a bit of shopping, and talking, talking and doing more talking.

Tears off and on the first three days I was here, after very few since the trip to the cemetery Memorial Day weekend. Val said I know I am safe here, and must have needed to cry. That may be. Such good people.

Any of you out there who have eaten my buttermilk pancakes at rallies, this was her Dads, cut down recipe....from the one made by the 5 gallons and used at the Town Talk Diner in "the cities". Val grew up cooking and waitressing in her fathers' restaurant, and can turn out a pie or cake worthy of a blue ribbon at the state fair.

Lily gets to experience life unleashed up here, and bike rides running alongside me. A happy, tired, girl.

Hope everyone had a good 4th.

Maggie
Old 07-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #457
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie... sounds like you are having a great time there... good times with your friends... good for the soul...
Our 4th was very nice.. great weather!!! that's something in Oregon... So I'm painting the picket fence!!! Ugh... about half way done.. keeps me outta trouble.. mostly... hahaha.. hugs & love from out here, Keep having fun!!! gail
Old 07-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #458
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds like a good thing to do on a nice day, Gail, and always good to spruce things up.

Didn't cry yesterday, and slept like a baby last night. I probably did need to do some crying, between dealing with estate things, emptying the house of so much of Doug, etc.

A good place to do it.

Maggie
Old 07-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #459
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
I believe a good cry is good for you... you certainly must have had some stored up !!! Ok, back to painting the picket fence... hugs from out here, gail
Old 07-08-2014, 01:31 PM   #460
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Val is a master cook and baker.....but I am the bread guru, so am showing her how to make my DO bread while I am here. They love it.

Made a whole-grain a few days ago, today the cranberry-walnut-orange. Yum. We have been eating well. Good thing I am bike riding.

They are both working today, semi-retired and out of the rat-race, but still needing more income than SS provides. Have been baking bread, and working on something unrelated to this trip and my new widowhood, sitting outside under the tree in their front yard. Lovely.

Have decided to leave my beautiful, hanging fuchsia plant up here, as it is so much happier in these climes, out of the heat and humidity of central Illinois. All fluffy and perky, looks like a different plant. She has a very green thumb, may figure out a way to let it go dormant and be revived next year.

Brought both the hanging plants from home with me, as I was going to be in one spot for a week, so my son/his didn't have to babysit them, but they have been a mixed bag. Set them outside at night, so they get the rain and are out of the interior, but when I bring them back in daddy-long-legs have crawled into them and then crawl out. Harmless, I know, but nonetheless unwelcome.

Been a good week. We are going to do a bit of running tomorrow, then I will leave on Thurs for home.

Maggie
Old 07-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #461
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Day 11 of my first, real, solo trip......and all is well.

Got on the road when Val left for work this morning, and we are meandering thru Wisconsin toward home. On the lovely Chetek River for tonight.

It's been a really wonderful trip, especially this past week, and I couldn't feel more relaxed. I needed this more than I realized.

Lucky to have friends like these.

Several small, white feathers came my way the last couple of days. I choose to think that is meaningful.

Not much to say, fixin' to take a bike ride on my little bike. Sweet Miss Lily is crashed on the couch.

Just letting them that wants to know that all is okay here, and hope the same is true for you.

Maggie
Old 07-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #462
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Day 11 of my first, real, solo trip......and all is well.

Got on the road when Val left for work this morning, and we are meandering thru Wisconsin toward home. On the lovely Chetek River for tonight.

It's been a really wonderful trip, especially this past week, and I couldn't feel more relaxed. I needed this more than I realized.

Lucky to have friends like these.

Several small, white feathers came my way the last couple of days. I choose to think that is meaningful.

Not much to say, fixin' to take a bike ride on my little bike. Sweet Miss Lily is crashed on the couch.

Just letting them that wants to know that all is okay here, and hope the same is true for you.

Maggie
Good for you!

Closed Thread