Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #393
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Why do you need an excuse for eating ice cream?

Old 06-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #394
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I had ice cream for supper.

Actually, a half-price milkshake from Steak n Shake.

I deserved it. The tooth came out in two pieces, after the doctor had to cut into the bone to get it out.

Maggie

Old 06-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #395
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The dentist put me on an antibiotic that precluded dairy products as the tooth was infected. Two days later, the air was filled in the dentist's office with pieces and dust as he split the lower molar (tooth #19) and extracted it. I saved part of the gold filling.

The ache has changed format, but at two days the pain/ache is tolerable. My mouth feels strange to my tongue with the big hole in one side of the tooth line.

The joys (?) of getting older.

So, I hope you feel better now and the tooth site heals well.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 06-20-2014, 11:31 AM   #396
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Boooo, switz! That sounds nasty.

My tooth was not infected, just broken off, but I have preventitive antibiotics, regardless. The experts always say your mouth is one of the most germ-filled parts of your body. They didn't tell me no dairy, but I'd better check.

This oral surgeon offers to fill his pain and antibiotic prescriptions in his office, which could be handy for some. I thought the price sounded a bit high, so declined, and it was. 3 times the cost than at my local Walgreens.

As I'm sitting watching a movie last night, I find what feels like fishing line in my mouth.....one of the two stitches he put in apparently untied itself and came out.

I feel nothing gaping, so don't feel it warrants a trip back for more shots in my gum and a new stitch.

By the time I went to bed last night, my jaw was noticeably but not excruciatingly painful. Had the good meds for pain, which got me thru the night, haven't had to take anything today and doubt I will need to again. Feels just a little sore and swollen.

So, there's our respective dental reports for the day. Ain't it awful what occupies our thoughts and we talk about when we're getting old.

Late in the day is my most difficult time, it seems, when I want to feel more down and more sorry for myself that my life partner is gone. I go to bed feeling pretty darned sad most nights, and Doug would notice those deep sighs I seem prone to.

I always tell myself it will look better in the morning, and it always does.

Cleaning my little house today, and doing some laundry, have a graduation party out of town tomorrow, which will be nice.

I have let myself buy a few new items of clothing, but for the indulgent jammies with roses on them, and tell that bit of me that feels a little guilty that it is okay for me to have something new....and to feel that I look nice, even if my husband isn't here to tell me so. Before Doug died, I wouldn't have thought twice about buying a pretty something at a good price.

Aah, adjustment, adjustment, adjustment.

Doug's kids next weekend, then a stop in Iowa before heading north to spend some time with long time friends. Really looking forward to that.

Maggie
Old 06-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #397
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Maggie; Did you ever find/fix the battery problem?

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 06-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #398
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You know, I followed Eric's instructions to leave the engine running about 30 minutes after I got home, and have found no more problem.

I've been out and started it twice this week, and it started right up.

I did have the little 12volt vacuum plugged in those 3 days I was out there, which I wouldn't think would be enough to deplete the battery but apparently did.

The Interstate has sat most of the time for the past 3+ months, so the battery was probably not at optimal charge....although I did drive to Iowa and back over Memorial Day weekend.

If I have any more problems, I will get it in to be checked. Am going to have everything gone over thoroughly in late August, regardless.

Thanks for asking.

Maggie
Old 06-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #399
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
Maggie,

A Lipton tea bag on your gums where the tooth was removed is a great cure. The tannins in the tea push the gums to heal....

Once upon a time there were no antibiotics. Tea was the solution.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #400
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm, I might try that.

Thanks!

Maggie
Old 06-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #401
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Maggie,

After Barb had her tooth out last week, she was told not to sneeze or blow her nose for a week. We're really glad allergy season wasn't in full swing. She did forget twice and did blow her nose then got mad at herself. And she got Vicodin and antibiotics too. I don't know why people think Vicodin is so great—never did anything for me and it didn't seem to be much stronger than ibuprofen.

The stitches usually dissolve in about a week and by then the gum should be closed up. The soreness can last longer, but feels better and better.

Battery—if the vacuum wasn't on, it shouldn't drain the battery. Not driving will let it run down, but when you drove to the rally, it should have charged fully. Even a new battery can have a bad cell, and it certainly can be low on water. My guess is either a light was left on or it needs water.

Gene
Old 06-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #402
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmm.

The vacuum was "on" in the sense that it was charging.

I'll have it checked.

Thanks,

Maggie
Old 06-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #403
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I would think the vacuum battery is a lot smaller than the Interstate battery* and unless the Interstate was way run down or bad, it wouldn't be discharged by the vacuum battery. Driving to the rally should have fully charged the Interstate battery. But I'm just guessing and the problem may well be the vacuum—which would be nice since it has been solved and nothing has to be tested or bought.

Gene

*Though "Interstate" is the name of a battery company, I mean the battery in the Interstate van.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #404
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Our Interstate also has an Interstate battery.

I am not sure what pulled the battery down. The only draw on it during those three days was the 12volt converter thingy with the vacuum plugged into it. The MiFi was plugged in there, too.

It actually isn't a 12volt vacuum, but a hand vacuum plugged into the 12volt thingy thru the converter.

I don't know. It seems to be okay now, I will keep a watch on it,

Maggie
Old 06-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #405
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The engine in the Interstate is still starting without a problem. Whatever caused the drain on the battery no longer seems to be doing so.

I have finalized the sales of an antique, Ithaca rifle, and Doug's custom Colt, his most prized, inanimate object. Hating to sell the latter, on the one hand, my son's thought was that Doug would want this in the hands of someone who would appreciate it, shoot it and enjoy it. He was absolutely right. That has been taken care of, as my police detective son-in-law takes delivery later this week.

As estate issues are winding down, this has been an unwanted learning experience for me and one of a different sort for Doug's youngest child. Extremely bright, high-functioning, over-achiever type, her mother and father's personalities are/were much different, much more laid-back, than that of this step-mother.

Although Doug has three children, this youngest walks point for most things, talking with her brothers, then acting as spokesperson for the sib group. Dealing with me on all things, some difficult things, rather than primarily her Dad as she did before, we are thrust into a totally new relationship, during a very difficult time for us both, that has been an adjustment. I took more of a back seat when Doug was alive, as he did with my children.

I am the forward-spoken type, needing to address and resolve issues, prone to impatience, needing structure and order and rather driven to get things done. Her own parents....not so much, either of them. My children and I have very good, open relationships, forged over their lifetimes. This is a new experience, a different relationship than we have had in the past, and we don't, instinctively, "get" each other.

On the one hand, as Doug's wife, who better to be executor of his estate and responsible for resolving end of life issues/dealing with expenses, sorting out what is his, mine and ours. Having 5 children between us, and none together, all things do not stay with me, to be dealt with only when I die. Those were the terms of our wills and require some decisions as executor that I would not otherwise want to make as his widow.

On the other hand, being executor is a position of authority, one where I want and prefer that his children be on board with things but can make decisions independently if required. I talk with Doug, listen for those gut feelings that will lead me in the directions I believe he would want, and then deal with what I need to deal with.

A work in progress, we are working at it as we work estate things out, and are developing a better understanding of each other in the process.

On another note, our near-perfect spring and summer rainfall levels have allowed me to have the most beautiful yard we have had in years. All that grass seed has sprouted, the lawn is lush and full and green. A happy yard, happy flowers and happy shrubs.

Being home most of 3 1/2 months, for the first time in nearly 7 years, I am able to look out onto expanses of greens, pinks of all shades , purple, yellows, etc. It is a comfort to me.

The Amazing Grace windchimes are so enjoyable. I told the grands, when they were here overnight on Saturday, that I had asked Grandpa to send a soft breeze to those chimes, to let me know he is near, and they liked that.

They touch the chimes gently every time they go by, prompting a tinkle that I'm sure reminds them of their Grandpa Doug.

A busy week, a busy weekend, then looking forward to some time out in the Interstate.

Maggie
Old 06-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #406
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Maggie,
Thank you for sharing. It must be so difficult on both you and your step daughter. Having 3 half sisters, I can imagine it will be difficult at my father's death. Your personality sounds so much like mine and my husband is the more laid back one. I also used to work for the State. I was a child abuse investigator before "retiring" to raise my own children. Thank you for the info on the wind chimes. I am going to remember to give those. I wish you well.