Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #461
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Day 11 of my first, real, solo trip......and all is well.

Got on the road when Val left for work this morning, and we are meandering thru Wisconsin toward home. On the lovely Chetek River for tonight.

It's been a really wonderful trip, especially this past week, and I couldn't feel more relaxed. I needed this more than I realized.

Lucky to have friends like these.

Several small, white feathers came my way the last couple of days. I choose to think that is meaningful.

Not much to say, fixin' to take a bike ride on my little bike. Sweet Miss Lily is crashed on the couch.

Just letting them that wants to know that all is okay here, and hope the same is true for you.

Maggie
Old 07-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #462
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Day 11 of my first, real, solo trip......and all is well.

Got on the road when Val left for work this morning, and we are meandering thru Wisconsin toward home. On the lovely Chetek River for tonight.

It's been a really wonderful trip, especially this past week, and I couldn't feel more relaxed. I needed this more than I realized.

Lucky to have friends like these.

Several small, white feathers came my way the last couple of days. I choose to think that is meaningful.

Not much to say, fixin' to take a bike ride on my little bike. Sweet Miss Lily is crashed on the couch.

Just letting them that wants to know that all is okay here, and hope the same is true for you.

Maggie
Good for you!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #463
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie... this sounds like a great trip you're having... we're heading out late next week for a mini rally at Lassen Volcanic Nat'l Pk in California... should be lots of fun... I love Airstreams!! I love Airstream People!!!! life is good, keep having fun!!! pats for Lily.. Hugs to you, gail
Old 07-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #464
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Glad to hear your trip is going well Maggie. We're at a campground on Grand Mesa doing nothing but reading and napping and eating. A welcome 3 nights off from daily chores.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #465
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Home, unloaded, and all is well. 13 days.

Can't say this was a fun trip, but it was definitely a good trip. And, I am getting better every day at doing it all myself.

Picked up the Great River Road in Wisconsin and followed it the last two days all the way down to Galena. Lovely. Note to self......there is NO fuel between Prairie du Chien and Patosi, WI.

Yellow light had been on for too long when I pulled into the first station I came to in Patosi. Took 26 gallons to fill the tank......I didn't know it held that much. Running on fumes, Doug would say.

Had my first dump station mishap. Always check to be sure you have closed the tank valves before removing that little cover. Fortunately, it was the grey and not the black valve that I left open.

Found a pattern to crochet small rugs out of strips of old t-shirts. Have a pile of homeless ones of Doug's, from all over the country, so am going make some of these for his kids......mine, too, if there is enough. Will cut the logos out of each, and save for some other something.

Back to the heat and humidity of central Illinois, but also my little house and central AC.

Maggie
Old 07-12-2014, 11:11 PM   #466
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Maggie; Looks like you did well on this trip. Lucky for you, it was the gray tank valve left open. I have too many times run so low on gas that I thought I would never make it to the closest gas station. So far, we haven't had to get out and push. [or call AAA/Good Sam for help]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-13-2014, 05:47 AM   #467
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Maggie, this is just an idea, but you could use the logos and make some kind of patchwork comforter out of the old tee shirt logos.

Oh, I ran out of gas once while towing our trailer. I now go to great lengths to ensure that never happens again...
Old 07-13-2014, 06:34 AM   #468
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Terry. I had thought of a small, quilt thing.

Will have to recruit expert help for that.

Maggie
Old 07-14-2014, 01:33 PM   #469
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Working on a rug from the tshirts.....is going to make a very heavy, sturdy rug.

Cut the shirts into strips, crochet in the round. Voila!

I have one made from sheets that I bought at a craft fair some years ago.

Always nice to re-purpose.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	216365  
Old 07-14-2014, 09:59 PM   #470
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Findlay , OH
Maggie, I love the rug you are crafting. I admire your handwork. Thank you for the inspiration. I do hope you will decide to make a quilt from Doug's t-shirts. A friend made a wonderful quilt from two dozen or so Harley-Davidson t-shirts. Surely Doug's shirts will make a lovely memento/keepsake. ~Allyson

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-15-2014, 05:12 AM   #471
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you.

It is, actually, easier than making a potholder, but for the cutting of the shirts into strips. You can cut one continuous strip, starting at the bottom and working around to the top.

Once I got into this small pile of tshirts, there's only 7 and they are sort of the dregs of his shirts. His most favorites, and the Gunsite shirts, went with his things to his kids, whether they can wear them or not. My son and son-in-law took some, I kept a few, and this pile is what is left. Only one has a stitched logo on it, such as would go on a quilt.

I also have a lovely memory quilt that Alice (mcair) made me. The rug may be it, from these shirts.

I would be glad to put one of these together for someone else, if they want to do the cutting part, roll them up and bring them to a rally. They use a very large hook and go together quickly.

Temps have dropped about 20 degrees. I'll take it.

Maggie
Old 07-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #472
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Maggie.

Your rug brings back memories for me -- I made a similar rug back in the early '80's, but I used purchased fabric, and had issues with raveling (sp); your idea of using old t-shirts is much better as they won't ravel. The rug I made never wore out, I put it away after some years. As you said, they are very heavy, thick.

I'm glad you had a nice visit with old friends and that your trip went well (not mentioning the key thing : -), that could happen to any of us). Your life since Spring has made a huge impression on me -- it was a wake-up call so to speak.

We aren't getting out on the road much this year, my Dad, who will be 98yrs. in Nov., lives with us and is beginning to go downhill a little, so he is depending upon us more and more. As said, "This too shall pass", so in time we'll be back out on the road and being able to be spontaneous in our comings and goings once again, but for now we are here for him as he always was there for us (my family).

Hoping to run into you once again at a rally sometime, but in the meantime, I thoroughly enjoy reading your thread and knowing all is well with you.

Deb
Old 07-15-2014, 09:59 AM   #473
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
A man's T shirt isn't broken in until it is 50% holes (for ventilation on hot days; on cold ones, just wear two and the holes will be covered of they don't overlap, then wear three). I guess my old T shirts wouldn't make a very good rug.

You're doing great Maggie. I admire your strength. I'm sure there will be some rough spots, but life goes on and we should enjoy it to the best of our abilities while we can.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #474
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, folks.

In the interest of full disclosure, let me remind y'all the rug out of tshirts is not an original idea of mine, I found it online somewhere. And, you're right, Deb....the fabric does not unravel.

I think the rug is going to be pretty darned nice, if I do say so myself. It feels good, and kind of nurturing to Doug, to make it......handling these strips of well-worn cloth, and making them into something permanent and usable.

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't say aloud or think to myself that I just wasn't ready for Doug to go.

In fact, I couldn't have been less prepared for it. He seemed healthy and full of his usual vim and vigor...piss and vinegar, he would say.

You think in your mind that a person will be ill, that there will be some clear and present warning. Just not the way it always works.

I miss him every day, and tell him so, then that I know he's with his Dad, so I am glad for that. Just seems a bit selfish to wish he were here, knowing who he is with there.

4+ months.

Maggie
Old 07-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #475
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Weather permitting, the second weekend in August is a definite "go" for a family campout.....Grandma, grands and their parents, possibly an uncle. Not Madeline Island, but I'll take it, and appreciate everyone's willingness to rough it for a few days.

We will have no hookups, so this will be camping. Cooking outside, all that good stuff.

The kids will be able to bike and run and play til they drop. They will love it, and we adults will struggle thru, keep them fed, and provide other, parental-type, support services. It really is all about the kids.

Have had a busy, unexciting week. The rug is nearly done, in and amongst other home choring this week.

Going to give the Interstate a hand wash in the morning, before serious heat and humidity return. It's crusted with bugs and very grimy, got to be done.

A hand wash, because that's what Doug would do.....and what he did do, plus a wax......several times a year, when we were home, ever since we bought it in 07.

The only way to get a vehicle really clean, he would say. He prided himself on our rig always looking like it just came off the showroom floor. At least, that's what people would tell him.

Doubt that I will achieve his level of detail, but it will be better than it is now when I am done.

All is well, hope the same is true for you.

Maggie
Old 07-21-2014, 06:18 AM   #476
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Interstate is squeaky clean, bugs and road grime removed.

I had bought a microfiber scrub mitt made by ArmorAll some time ago, which I had not used much, but which works magically on bug bits and other, mightily adhered debris.

Didn't do the hand wax, am still pondering that, but feel Doug would surely nod his head in approval. Going to take some ArmorAll to the outside plastics, spruce them up a bit, and will call it good for now.

One of Doug's tasks, after every long trip, was to get on his knees with the wand to the vacuum cleaner and get under the benches in the Interstate.....to vacuum up whatever has fallen and drifted into that area. An incredible amount of crud, sand, etc., accumulate there. Clean is important, and his knees were in better shape than mine.

Not only has that not been done yet this year, but I look under there and see lots of black dog hair behind the bench that i could never reach with the wand. Am going to try the long, flexible tubular attachment that we use to clean the dryer vent. Should work, right?

Into maintenance mode with the little house and yard, til the leaves take over in a few months. The nearby grands are always a big help with the leaves, living in a 12 year old subdivision without mature trees.....leaves can almost be picked up by hand in their yard.

They rake them into huge piles here, jump and play in them til they're exhausted, then help haul them to the curb. Fun for them.

My son and his family, who live just a mile away, always come for dinner on Sundays that we are home. Been a routine here since the kids started moving out on their own 20 years or so ago.

The grandsons now haul the garbage can, and whatever else needs to go out, to the curb for Grandma before they leave. Sweet kids. I can do it, of course, but they like to help, and it's good for them, IMO.

Miss Emma turns 8 on Friday, and has asked for a 2-layer, chocolate cake from Grandma for her birthday. I will gladly comply, and they will be here for cake and ice cream that evening.

Have noticed recently that I'm starting to feel like I'm living my own life, that I have transitioned into an ownership of sorts.....rather than the life of some stranger that I mistakenly stepped into thru a wormhole in the universe. That's how it felt.

The predictable outcome of doing life and time passing, I guess, and it feels better. Not good, but better.

I miss Doug every day, but feel myself settling into new normal, bit by bit.

Starting to look forward to moseying toward fall Alumalina, leaving late August, hopefully, after some dental work completion.

A little Berea, KY, on the way, perhaps.

Maggie
Old 07-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #477
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I start my evenings these days with just a little wine, in the small green goblet Doug bought me on Nantucket Island in 1996.

Because of meds I take, I am not supposed to drink a lot....... so I'm drinking a little....every night......amounting to perhaps 2 good glasses a week. I think that's okay.

I call it "transition wine", and I like it.

Evenings on the IPad, with my little wine, have become routine.

I share these found this evening.

When I Must Leave You
by Helen Steiner Rice

When I must leave you for a little while
Please do not grieve and shed wild tears
And hug your sorrow to you through the years
But start out bravely with a gallant smile
And for my sake and in my name
Live on and do all things the same
Feed not your loneliness on empty days
But fill each waking hour in useful ways
Reach out your hand in comfort and cheer
And I in turn will comfort you and hold you near
And never never be afraid to die
For I am waiting for you in the sky

“Life is not the way it’s supposed to be… It’s the way it is… The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference.”

Maggie
Old 07-23-2014, 05:12 AM   #478
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Amen. God bless you! Jim
Old 07-23-2014, 05:15 AM   #479
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Jim.

Maggie