Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 06:00 AM   #323
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, all.

I believe the narrator in this video came to Doug's funeral, using a cane, now. Fritz Engel, I think?

He and Louise, Doug's mom, clasped hands and spoke, had known each other since they were children. Very touching, him attending the funeral of her son.

All of the Veterans graves here have American flags, plus a white flag identifying each, their war, company served in, etc.

Spent a peaceful night, brewing coffee now and water heater is on for a shower.

So handy to have one's little house on one's back.

Have a good Memorial Day.

Maggie

Old 05-27-2014, 06:30 AM   #324
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We had a lovely day yesterday. Sat near the gravesite, visited and reminisced. Picnicked like folks did in the old days. Such a peaceful and beautiful spot.

The elderly man with a cane who came to Doug's funeral was not the narrator of this video.....but his father. He has to be close to 100 years old, as is Louise. Such strong stock these folks come from.

Louise always credits her independence and living so long to living thru the Depression, on a farm, with 6 siblings. She recalls those hard times like it was yesterday.

Drove Louise home and we had supper at a small restaurant in Wellman, where hand-pounded, grilled or batter-fried pork tenderloin sandwiches are on the menu. Yum! "You're in Iowa", Louise says. If you've never had one of these, they are delicious and worth the fat and calorie splurge.

Parked behind her old farmhouse now....with electricity. I was ready for AC to cut the humidity which has set in. Lily was pooped from running loose for 2 days, a happy dog.

On to Iowa City today, will get the grand from school and spend the night parked at their house,

Home tomorrow, dump at the rest stop on the interstate like Doug always did.

Lots of firsts this trip. It has been good.

No tears, doing okay.

Maggie

Old 05-27-2014, 08:02 AM   #325
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Hi Maggie,

I found the blogs below and thought you might find it of interest.

Janet has a Sprinter Conversion Van and lost her husband to cancer about a year ago.
Journeys of Thankfulness

She chronicles her some of her travels with her van she bought after her husband passed here:

Roadtreking : Roadtreking | The small motorhome and RV lifestyle

Thinking of you and sending you hugs,

Kate
Old 05-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #326
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Maggie,
I'm glad you had a good trip. I think the picnic was a great idea. I remember trips to my grandparents graves. My sister and I would play a little and mostly watch and help pull weeds and kid stuff while our Mom and Dad worked around the graves. My Mom lived to 100. Same background, growing up through the depression, as well as losing a little brother to illness very young. I hope the rest of your trip goes as well. We are all riding along with you through your posts.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Old 05-27-2014, 12:05 PM   #327
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, all, for your kind thoughts, well wishes and suggestions.

Louise insisted on taking me into town for breakfast this morning.....she, of course, also insisted on driving. Yikes!

She could probably do this with her eyes closed, tho, as she has done it so many times she knows where to turn by the feel of the road. She doesn't drive outside of Wellman anymore, just back and forth to the Senior Center, grocery store, etc.

A good woman. Brought up two small children by herself after her husband dropped dead in 1943 at age 42, from an incident which sounds very similar to Doug's.

Raised fine children with good character. Doug, and his sister, Iowa State Senator Sandra Greiner.

Stopped in Kalona and rinsed the gravel road dust which blankets everything out here off the Interstate......another routine, now by myself, but I know Doug was smiling and nodding.

Now in Iowa City, have a few things to tend to before picking up the grand at school at 3.

All is well.

Maggie
Old 05-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #328
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Tanks dumped....easier and faster this time ....and we are safely home.

A very good and satisfying trip, full of "healing hurdles". An adventure of a different sort than Doug & I took together for so many years.

As I must focus on driving now , cannot crochet, google things, be on these Forums, etc., while traveling, one can do a lot of thinking. "That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger" came to mind.

Who wants things that don't kill them but are bad enough they could and instead make them stronger. No one. No one asks for these things nor embraces them for the experience of being stronger.

However, as we survive and keep moving, we are. Surviving bad things is a good thing.

Who knew.

Thanks for all your support,

Maggie
Old 05-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #329
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The new stone, with rose bush I planted on the grave side....."over him", as one of Doug's sons said.

The pinecones and grasses were left for Grandpa Doug by grand, Alice.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	456.6 KB
ID:	213118  
Old 05-29-2014, 10:31 AM   #330
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
I am new to the forums but all I can say is keep going and share the inspiration for our new Airstream purchase. We have dear friends, one of which is a travel agent, who have traveled the world and posted many wonderful happy pics on social media and recounted their adventures to us at dinner with glowing enthusiasm. When Rick was diagnosed with cancer the hubs and I looked at each other and commented on how fortunate they were to have traveled and experienced so much of what they wanted to do.

That also got us thinking. We realized that, even though we had dreams of traveling together, we let life get in the way and hadn't done it. We talked about it and decided that we didn't want something to happen to us and not have done the things we said we wanted to do. Sadly, Rick was not able to overcome cancer and lost his valiant battle recently. Our hearts are saddened but we hope that his wife finds comfort in knowing that they inspired us to carry through on our own dreams.

The brand new 25 FC is sitting in the driveway, ready to embark on our month/six week long trip exploring the western US and Canada. So, I say keep going. You have those fantastic memories to guide you and somewhere, someone is watching and may use your experiences as their inspiration to live their dreams.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #331
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good...for...you, silverlabs!

Regardless of what the dream is, if you can do it you should go for it, because you never inow what the day might bring.

There have been enough encouraging posts here, emails and pm's to keep me posting. It has been cathartic for me and apparently of benefit to others.

Anyone who doesn't want to read, doesn't have to, right?

As I have said before, we are all much more alike than we are different. Just human beings, when you get right down to it, regardless of how special, extraordinary or not-so-extraordinary we may see ourselves.

Thank you,

Maggie
Old 05-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #332
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post

There have been enough encouraging posts here, emails and pm's to keep me posting. It has been cathartic for me and apparently of benefit to others.

Anyone who doesn't want to read, doesn't have to, right?

As I have said before, we are all much more alike than we are different. Just human beings, when you get right down to it, regardless of how special, extraordinary or not-so-extraordinary we may see ourselves.

Thank you,

Maggie
Yes, please keep posting... it has benefited me, and I'm sure many others.

I thought of you as I watched last Sunday's 60 Minutes - CBS News segment:

"Living With Grief", which includes a heart-to-heart conversation between Liam Neeson and Anderson Cooper about living with grief after the death of a loved one. Some memorable quotes from the show: "There's no timeline on grief... It helps to talk about it... we're all connected."

Thank you,

Bill
Old 05-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #333
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmm, I missed 60 minutes this week. Had 4G out there but no electricity.

That sounds like an interesting one. Liam's wife also went quickly, as I recall. One minute there, the next minute gone, to never return. She was also taken off life support due to irreversible brain damage, if I remember correctly.

One's whole perspective on death changes after losing someone so close to you. You don't fear it any more, and Doug never did. He knew his Dad would be waiting for him.

Doug's mom talked of how he seemed too young to die, she who has been ready to go for a long time, she says, and couldn't care less if she lives another day. That's what she said. Every day is a gift at 96 1/2.

Approaching 3 months. Glad those early days are past.

Feeling pretty solid, really. Doing everything by myself has become automatic, I don't think too much about it. Not usually.

Looking forward to the Moraine View rally and what is gearing up to be a very social month of June.

XO Maggie
Old 05-29-2014, 05:07 PM   #334
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
Maggie,
My condolences on your loss but,
I have enjoyed reading about you finding that inner strength that all of us have. I hope someday to meet you, as you are a class act!!!
Old 05-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #335
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you.

I would love at some point to meet all of you who have been so kind and supportive. (Many posters here I have met, and some I call my friends....but most I have not.)

We have a great community here, one to be proud of.

Maggie
Old 05-29-2014, 07:01 PM   #336
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 20
Lusby , Maryland
Maggie,
Thank you for opening your life, trials and even grief to us. We are blessed by your generosity and trust.
What a wonderful testimony to the love you and Doug had and continue to have. I pray God will bless you and watch over you as you continue your travels. Hopefully someday I will get to meet you in person. Safe travels.
Kathy