Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 10:39 PM   #381
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
The van battery was dead this morning, for some reason, but Silvertwinkie and his brother got it jumped and me on the road. That battery is just over a year old, can't imagine why it would be dead. Will have to keep a watch on that.

Maggie
Hi, Maggie; From my many years of dealership experience, I would say a very common reason for a dead battery is a light left on somewhere. Dome lights, glove box lights, vanity mirror lights, under hood lights, Etc. Sneak out there at night and see if anything is glowing.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 06-16-2014, 05:26 AM   #382
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quilt made by Alice.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2014, 05:27 AM   #383
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Snuggly animals made by Dana.
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #384
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I found this recipe online late last year, and have just made my second batch. I posted it on some other thread at some point, thought I would add it here, as well, just because.

I am not chemical-phobic, tho do avoid their unnecessary use, but really resent the ridiculous cost of commercial laundry detergents these days.

I love the way this mixture cleans, its' light fragrance, and especially......its' cost.

All of the ingredients should be found within close proximity to each other, in your favorite laundry detergent aisle.

BEST HOMEMADE LAUNDRY DETERGENT

1 Box Borax
1 Box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
1 3lb Box OxyClean
1 5lb Box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
2 Bars Fels-Naptha Soap, grated

Mix ingredients thoroughly in large, 3 gallon or so, airtight container. I use a 12 quart container picked up at the local restaurant supply store.

Use 2-3 tablespoons per load, top or front loader. Makes about 2 gallons, enough for 200 or so loads.

On another note....as I'm mindlessly grating the Fels-Naptha today, and mulling over my adjustment to widowhood, I realize that probably a dozen times each day, still, my head automatically turns to share some small or large something with Doug.

My soulmate, helpmate and wingman. I miss him.

Had an email from Doug's sister yesterday, about the depths of grieving Doug's 96 1/2 year old mother is going through. She who has outlived two husbands and now her only son, is expressing how much harder this death has been for her. I am sad for her, and she is so ready to go and join her men.

I will see her the end of this month, after a visit to the cemetery and on my way to northern MN to spend some time with friends.

Doug's kids were at the cemetery over Father's Day, and report the rosebush I planted is alive and seems to be doing well.

Doing okay. Hot as h--l here.

Lily is at doggie day care, I am tending to things inside rather than outside.

Maggie
Old 06-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #385
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie... nice stuff they made for you... and thanks for the recipe, I'm going to make some just for fun!!! hugs, gail
Old 06-17-2014, 10:35 PM   #386
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Maggie; Making laundry soap is too much work for me. I have to use DREFT and no scents allowed due to skin problems. Using the measuring marks in the cap just doesn't work for me. I now use a shot glass with marks on it. One ounce does a large load and the bottle seems to last forever.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 06-18-2014, 05:23 AM   #387
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wow, Robert!

I have always been somewhat enamored with suds, which I like to see so that I can visualize proper cleaning going on.

I just don't look, with this recipe.

Maggie
Old 06-19-2014, 04:56 AM   #388
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I sent off to Dr. Wright Culpepper (one of the best names, ever) at Faithworks yesterday the blankets and children's things received at the rally over the weekend. In an email letting him know these were coming, I had also asked about the donations in Doug's memory.

He sent back the following response:

Thank you so much Maggie.

I will follow up with you on how the funds will be spent. We have had conversations about possibilities with the health system about how we can honor him, but we and they have not had a chance to meet lately.

They have opened the Nunnally House and it is beautiful. We are working closely with them and have now stopped having cancer patients stay at Karen's House, and have turned our focus to those who are staying at Nunnally and expanding our reach to local cancer survivors. However, we are hoping that the Cancer Care Center will be able to use it for ancillary services. That remains to be determined. At any rate, I plan to give you some choices soon.

We have the memorial picture at our main office which is seen by many more than just those who were guests at Karen's House.

You remain in our thoughts and prayers. I look forward to talking with you soon.

Blessings,

Wright

We knew the hospital was building a new, larger facility, next door to the House of Hope, which has apparently been completed and is now in use.

When I get more information on what the donated funds will be used for, will post that here.

Such good people, there, appearing at our sides.

So many good people here, as well, and on my trip home.

Maggie
Old 06-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #389
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Maggie, I love reading this thread. It is inspiring. I make my own laundry detergent and use a similar recipe. It saves money and works very well. It actually is easier to make than I thought.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #390
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you.

There are so very many good people out there. It is soul comfort to experience that, which I did again today.

Had the service tech here to give the central AC its annual going-over, who shared that his wife, the love of his life, is terminally ill and currently in ICU. He took off work yesterday, but she is some better today and so he came to work because, of course, if he doesn't work he doesn't get paid.

Offering comfort and sympathy to him, and taking note of the specifics of the new AC filter which Doug had always taken care of, we talked about death, dying, afterlife or not, etc., then that I am still adjusting to all that goes with my husband dying suddenly a few months ago.

As we talked and shared, he offered to trouble-shoot house things on the phone, if that would be of any help to me. He meant it.

When he left, I told him I would keep them in my thoughts, wished a peaceful resolution to his wife's illness and thanked him for his offer of help. He said it was the right thing to do. Another one.

I am still somewhat amazed, and daily very grateful, at the response this thread has gotten but, as I have said before.....we are all more alike than we are different. If it helps me, helps others, and harms no one, it's a good thing.

Am in the process selling a couple of Doug's weapons. All of yesterday and this a.m., dealing with that. I who know nothing.

My son noticed the other day that the two handguns which were in the Interstate when Doug was stricken, now on a high shelf in the house, were....still loaded. I haven't touched them, but to bring them in and put them up.

Doug would raise his eyebrows and say "of course they're loaded.....why carry a hand gun that isn't loaded?", and he would be right. Hadn't occurred to me to check that, nor would I have known how.

Yes, I am getting appraisals from several dealers, and have a gun friend of Doug's working on this as well....really, so I know what is a fair price. Both are going to family who will use them, which Doug would very much like.

Having a broken tooth pulled this afternoon. Lucky me.

Maggie
Old 06-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #391
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
As we get older, we lose more teeth and know more people who have died, or know their loved ones. Being old takes courage. Barb had a tooth pulled last week and it seems be healing well. She's waiting for bone to grow for an implant in November! Implants are expensive, but someday they may be the only teeth we have. I just talked to an old friend I hadn't heard from in 15 years—at age 62 (how did he get so old?) he's getting married for the first time. Teeth go, friends die, but people still get married and hope for long years together.

I hope your tooth comes out easily, unlike Barb's giant molar, so big they had to give her a general anesthetic. She really liked the anesthetic and was kind of goofy for the rest of the day. I hope you have a friend to drive you back home. I get goofy just from local anesthetic and it is an excellent excuse for ice cream.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #392
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
A Very Different Kind of Life

Gene

Waking up in the morning is a good excuse for ice cream!
Old 06-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #393
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Why do you need an excuse for eating ice cream?
Old 06-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #394
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I had ice cream for supper.

Actually, a half-price milkshake from Steak n Shake.

I deserved it. The tooth came out in two pieces, after the doctor had to cut into the bone to get it out.

Maggie
Old 06-20-2014, 10:02 AM   #395
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The dentist put me on an antibiotic that precluded dairy products as the tooth was infected. Two days later, the air was filled in the dentist's office with pieces and dust as he split the lower molar (tooth #19) and extracted it. I saved part of the gold filling.

The ache has changed format, but at two days the pain/ache is tolerable. My mouth feels strange to my tongue with the big hole in one side of the tooth line.

The joys (?) of getting older.

So, I hope you feel better now and the tooth site heals well.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 06-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #396
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Boooo, switz! That sounds nasty.

My tooth was not infected, just broken off, but I have preventitive antibiotics, regardless. The experts always say your mouth is one of the most germ-filled parts of your body. They didn't tell me no dairy, but I'd better check.

This oral surgeon offers to fill his pain and antibiotic prescriptions in his office, which could be handy for some. I thought the price sounded a bit high, so declined, and it was. 3 times the cost than at my local Walgreens.

As I'm sitting watching a movie last night, I find what feels like fishing line in my mouth.....one of the two stitches he put in apparently untied itself and came out.

I feel nothing gaping, so don't feel it warrants a trip back for more shots in my gum and a new stitch.

By the time I went to bed last night, my jaw was noticeably but not excruciatingly painful. Had the good meds for pain, which got me thru the night, haven't had to take anything today and doubt I will need to again. Feels just a little sore and swollen.

So, there's our respective dental reports for the day. Ain't it awful what occupies our thoughts and we talk about when we're getting old.

Late in the day is my most difficult time, it seems, when I want to feel more down and more sorry for myself that my life partner is gone. I go to bed feeling pretty darned sad most nights, and Doug would notice those deep sighs I seem prone to.

I always tell myself it will look better in the morning, and it always does.

Cleaning my little house today, and doing some laundry, have a graduation party out of town tomorrow, which will be nice.

I have let myself buy a few new items of clothing, but for the indulgent jammies with roses on them, and tell that bit of me that feels a little guilty that it is okay for me to have something new....and to feel that I look nice, even if my husband isn't here to tell me so. Before Doug died, I wouldn't have thought twice about buying a pretty something at a good price.

Aah, adjustment, adjustment, adjustment.

Doug's kids next weekend, then a stop in Iowa before heading north to spend some time with long time friends. Really looking forward to that.

Maggie
Old 06-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #397
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Maggie; Did you ever find/fix the battery problem?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 06-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #398
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You know, I followed Eric's instructions to leave the engine running about 30 minutes after I got home, and have found no more problem.

I've been out and started it twice this week, and it started right up.

I did have the little 12volt vacuum plugged in those 3 days I was out there, which I wouldn't think would be enough to deplete the battery but apparently did.

The Interstate has sat most of the time for the past 3+ months, so the battery was probably not at optimal charge....although I did drive to Iowa and back over Memorial Day weekend.

If I have any more problems, I will get it in to be checked. Am going to have everything gone over thoroughly in late August, regardless.

Thanks for asking.

Maggie
Old 06-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #399
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Maggie,

A Lipton tea bag on your gums where the tooth was removed is a great cure. The tannins in the tea push the gums to heal....

Once upon a time there were no antibiotics. Tea was the solution.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #400
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm, I might try that.

Thanks!

Maggie