Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #15
Overland Adventurer
1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
You are living my biggest fear. Loosing my everything person... My soulmate.
I live every day like our first and maybe last.
Best wishes to you in finding your north again.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:55 PM   #16
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Howdy, Maggie.
I've typed in a lot of stuff in this little box, and then untyped it. What I can say is, our door is always open.

What has happened to you has reaffirmed my determination to make sure Marie is able to hitch up the trailer, break camp, dump tanks, and be able to at least drive the truck and trailer home. She doesn't know it yet, but she's going to be going through a refresher course this weekend...

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona

Like many others, we are thinking of you and praying for your strength needed in the days ahead.

You were very fortunate to have been instructed and shared in the mechanical side of the camping experience. When I get our trailer back from the solar installation, I plan to let my wife begin the share the mechanical experience starting with just driving the big truck by itself and processing forward.

Every day is a gift, and I want to be sure to keep that mind set and keep loved ones in mind.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 03-24-2014, 06:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina

OK, so what is the next DO bread recipe? Sorry we can't see you and Doug demonstrate the loaf this weekend, sure was looking forward to tasting that loaf.

If you've gotten to know Maggie, Doug, DO bread and crocheting were pretty special for her.

Nothing but respect and hugs from here Maggie.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #19
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Terry, one of the reasons we wanted a Class B was so that I could drive it in the event of an emergency.....thinking broken leg, arm, etc. I always told Doug nothing better happen to him if we were in the mountains, as they would have to send someone to get him and also someone to drive the Interstate down. I have a terrible fear of heights.

I was so flustered when I went back to the campground to get the RV (the owner of A Big Wheel RV Park came to the hospital to get me), then follow the ambulance from Saint Marys to Brunswick, that I couldn't have done much even tho I knew how. Doug was alive, and I was glad, as I hadn't yet digested the ER doc's implication that he was not sure we had saved much after 30+ minutes of CPR.

Fellow campers unhooked everything and got things inside, then topped my propane tank off to make sure the frig would run. Such wonderful people, one of whom was a nurse who took over chest compressions, and another kept Lily til my son could get out to pick her up.

Had in the mail when I got home a refund for my last night at the campground, and a note of sympathy/prayers. Me who packed up and pulled out about 6pm. They didn't have to give a refund, and I certainly didn't expect one.

The people who own and run this campground are the reason we go back there. Good, kind, wonderful folks, reflected in their care of this lovely place and interactions with their guests. The place was full up when we were there, not surprising.

Everyone should know the basics, that is true, but in an emergency you're likely to need help. Your brain isn't working properly and your hands just don't do what they're supposed to.

My wonderful son, his wife and their 3 sweet punkins took the train to Chicago for a few days (spring break here), so I have their little Milo as well as Lily.

I feel like the dog whisperer....every time I move in the house I have the two of them, tails awaggin', at my heels. There were some turf issues at bedtime last night. Not sure what the issue was, but some snarling and barking from alpha Lily. They generally get along very well. Maybe she thought Milo wanted her bed, but she wouldn't let him get to his. Finally moved his and they settled down for the night.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Old 03-24-2014, 06:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia

I don't have the correct words of comfort, but know that you remain in my families prayers and that we hope to meet you one day.
Craig and Carol
1997 34' Excella 1000
1970 27' Overlander, International
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Old 03-24-2014, 07:13 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
1999 30' Excella 1000
Brookeville , Maryland
Maggie, So glad to hear your continuing to travel. Doug will be with you in spirit. Keep busy going to rallys and visiting your extended ''AIR'' family. Maybe travel in a caravan that your familiar with. Don't forget to pack a cast iron skillet for chasing pesky bears. Do you have a pet to take along? Gregg
Old 03-24-2014, 07:50 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
1961 16' Bambi
Malden , Missouri
Ms. Maggie,

I was following the thread you had going earlier, so I smiled when I came across this one. It's wonderful to hear from you, and as many are implying, it's certainly proper for you to grieve as you are.

Each time you have the energy to post your thoughts or feelings, please know that I'll be praying for you as you walk through this valley. I certainly don't claim to understand what you're experiencing, but I know that The Lord Jesus does.

2 Corinthians 5:15,
Pastor Aulden
Old 03-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #23

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas

I'm glad your going to continue to use the Interstate and see some new sights. I lost my Dad @ 10 Years ago and my Mother sold their class A diesel pusher and bought a class C that she could handle on her own. She ended up joining RVW and has traveled most of the USA with the group. RVW gave her the confidence she needed to get behind the wheel and do everything on her own. If your interested PM me but here is their website They are a great group and at 75+ my mother is still RVing in a Born Free B+. I'm sorry for your loss but glad to hear you will continue your travels. Your an inspiration to a lot of us.
Get involved and sign up for a Rally!
WBCCI 4973
Old 03-24-2014, 10:21 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member
1973 23' Safari
Reese , Michigan
Let us ALL learn

We are at a point in our life that our mortality has REALLY stepped to the forefront, instead of being just in the back of our minds. I have already outlived both of my parents, and the little woman has had a bout with the big C. The courage you are showing all of us, is beyond words. I just saw the tv commercial with the young girl struggling to change a car tire, turns out to be a lesson in independence, and that is what your husband did for you, he made you an informed consumer, not dependent on the hubs to take care of all the guy stuff, and that will serve you well. A few months ago someone started a conversation here on the forums about having second thoughts about their decision to go full timing, and I posted a favorite way to think about such issues, to stretch out a common pocket tape measure to 70 or 75 inches, representing an average lifespan, then put your finger on your present age, and it seems to put an urgency to getting the bucket list emptied MUCH faster. May all of us live like it MAY be your last chance to hug that someone special one more, or last time. Best wishes in your future-- Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	554887_504295356313158_361628502_n.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	208245  
Gene and Sharol in starship enterprize (earthbound) don't grow up, it is a TRAP ---repairing, not restoring since 1999
Old 03-25-2014, 05:10 AM   #25
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks to you all.

Coming in here is liking having lots of pen pals with whom I can communicate any time I like.

We do have a sweet dog, Lily, a foundling, black lab mix who is the dearest, sweetest thing. She is great company.

Gary, I hope y'all are going to bake my DO bread at Alumalina this weekend. It is so easy and good, will be looking for pictures.

Am sleeping a bit better, insisting on doing it now without chemicals. That's an improvement. Rub Doug's pillow and talk to him a bit. So very, very strange for him not to be here.

We have been fighting ants the past couple of years, called an exterminator who will be here today. We are on a slab, they have gotten into a wall. It is time for professional intervention,

Received a pile of memorials in check form, made out to "Doug Hayes Memorial". Am going to the credit union that has the Interstate loan, to open a Memorial account within which they can be deposited and then transferred to FaithWorks. My bank's assistant manager was abysmally ignorant on what to do with these, finally gave me wrong and complicated information on opening a business account. Would also charge a monthly fee if less than $1500 in there and a bigger fee for closing before 6 months. Called the credit union, they knew exactly what to do....and no fee.

Have a fire going, coffee in hand, local news on the TV. Something of the usual routine.

XO Maggie
Old 03-25-2014, 06:08 AM   #26
Rivet Master
1973 25' Tradewind
Ringoes , New Jersey
a new day

Good morning Maggie. You are an inspiration. I got my Dad to come with me this weekend, he and I are caretakers for my Mom (Parkinson)We have a live in Home Health Aid, and friends to help. It's hard for him to allow himself to go. He is a social bird, and will have a good time. I am very anxious to make my first bread in the DO, I will share a pic here, for you. Looking forward to a rally that we will meet. John
Old 03-25-2014, 06:13 AM   #27
Rivet Master
2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
I wish I had something to impart that would help ease your pain. All I can do is keep you in my thoughts and prayers and hope things become easier for you.
2012 30' International Serenity
1947 Spartan Manor
2005 28' Safari LS - traded
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
Old 03-25-2014, 12:04 PM   #28
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, the exterminators have come and gone, signed up for quarterly treatments for a year. A local company, good reputation, guarantee their work/will retreat for free. The ants have been insane, and no real relief with store-bought treatments. So ready to be ant-free.

Made an appointment to get the car serviced and tires rotated later this week....another thing Doug always did. Told myself "put on your big girl panties and deal with it".

Will be thinking of all you folks at Alumalina this weekend. Someone eat a piece of fish or two for Doug and I, and please bake that bread we worked so hard on!

No need to find words for me, folks, they've all been said many times and have been very much appreciated.

Closed Thread