Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #197
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
In defense of SOME contractors...

.... not yours though. 27 feet equals 3 eight foot sections - four posts, or a bit over 5 five foot sections with a max of seven posts. Now if the cost included the materials too, and you went with something really premium, and the terrain wasn't basically level?

Your guy may have been more inept rather than just a crook. I actually joined a local contractors association (trolling for prospective customers) and have learned a lot from the real professionals. 13 hours labor? Probably included two trips to the supply house to get more nails for the nail gun. A contractor who knows how to plan would show up with a stepside van loaded with a well maintained inventory of everything he anticipates he'll need and lots of things he just might need. The first seminar I attended for new members was about TIME MANAGEMENT, and how much each unplanned trip to a hardware store or supply house could affect the bottom line of a business. It's a real eye-opener to a do-it-yourself type. And a lot of "professional" contractors are just graduating from hobby to job!

Old 04-26-2014, 06:08 AM   #198
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for the input, Paula.

I had ordered and paid for all of the materials, including cement and a box of screws. He was picking it all up, which I had no problem paying him for. The ground the fence is going onto is level.

I don't know that he is basically a crook, as he came off Angie's List and had very good reviews. I believe he thought he could take advantage of me, thinking I knew nothing of such things. I don't know much, but I know what makes no sense.

That kind of behavior reflects a character issue, and I don't want to try to work with someone like that. I have a couple of things that needed to be done, that I can't do.

My experience with contractors around here who are just starting out on their own is that they tend to underbid or under-estimate time involved....because they want the work.

Anyway, this guy is dust. I'll find someone else.

Maggie

Old 04-26-2014, 06:22 AM   #199
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
That would probably be a great price here in Florida. We are overcharged for everything. Good for you for standing up! Jim
Old 04-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #200
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Stand up for what makes sense!

After my late sister-in-law was widowed, she paid an electrician several $50 (high for the time) service calls simply to change a blown fuse in her house. She firmly believed there was no way she could learn how to do it. Of course, the electrician kept his mouth shut and took her money.

When DH and I found out and taught her how to change a fuse, she was pretty embarrassed.

Some contractors see women as gullible targets.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:54 AM   #201
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes.

I hate it.

Doug would say "people oughta be what they oughta be".

Maggie
Old 04-27-2014, 10:34 AM   #202
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, two women got 6 fence posts in (with a manual post-hole digger), straight, even and cemented down in about 4 hours. Son is bringing his cordless drill this afternoon, and we will attach the panels. Voila! Fence! And not for $757.00 in labor.

The grands helped with the fence, transferred items from the garage into the new shed and spent the night. Grandma made fish and french fries on the patio in Grandpa's fryer, didn't burn anything or anyone. The boys slept in the shed and had a blast. Such big stuff for them. Pancakes this morning, and we raised a fork to Grandpa. Their first overnight since his death, and it was okay.

I pause at least once every day, look around and think "what??". His absence just hits me. I miss him.

Rain and other inclement weather this coming week. Will force me to focus on inside things. The back bedroom is a wreck.

Looking at other threads, but can't quite get myself into them. Don't feel like I have much to give, but it will come.

It's been 7 weeks since my life changed. Doing pretty darned well, I think.

Thanks for listening,

Maggie
Old 04-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #203
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
That last post is WORTHLESS w/o Pic's!

Gotta see the results and blisters.

You go Maggie!!!!!

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #204
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, we don't have the panels in place yet.

We wore gloves, so no blisters. But, I ached from head to toe when I went to bed last night. Truly. Even with extra strength Tylenol.

I tell myself this is good for my aging bones. It is.

Maggie
Old 04-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #205
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
There's a long history of women being overcharged by contractors or paying too much for cars. Sad but true.

If he had a power auger he could dig the holes in less than an hour and with mixing quick drying cement for posts and setting the posts straight, another hour or so. Come back another day after the cement sets and screw the fencing to the posts—another hour or two. Sometimes these guys bid a small job high because they don't want small jobs. They don't know, of course, that they won't be called back for a big job.

Paula's right—newcomers to the profession often undercharge to get work or because they don't know how to bid. Since they may not have enough experience, they may work slowly and it comes out even in the end. Same is true for lawyers as well as contractors.

We put in 100' of split cedar fencing in a couple of days without an augur—digging with a shovel in hard packed clay (dry clay is as hard as adobe and you have to wet the hole to dig) with the usual Rocky Mountain rocks to dig out. We also had to pull out old barbed wire fencing for that stretch. Everything hurt—muscles, joints, body parts we didn't know we had. I wonder what a bid would have been for that job?

Good work Maggie.

Gene
Old 04-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #206
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It took son, myself and his cordless drill about an hour to put the panels in place with 4" screws, and that included cutting part of one panel off.

Gate piece is tied in place for now, will do that hardware another day. Can probably handle that all by myself.

It is not 100% perfect, but it is pretty darned good for a couple of amateurs, and will do just fine.

Raining now, on my freshly sown grass seed.

Maggie
Old 04-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #207
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Congratulations, Maggie. You did it!
Old 04-27-2014, 04:46 PM   #208
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
You would have to go into town, find a parking space and walk to the courthouse here in Gainesville to get a building permit and tgen have it inspected when you are done. Regardless if tour neighbors like the fence or not. Jim
Old 04-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #209
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Congratulations, Maggie. You did it!
Thank you.

We did.

We don't need building permits here for such things, being an older neighborhood without the ordinances of the newer ones.

Didn't need a permit for the shed, either, as long as it is not on a permanent foundation. These from Home Depot are on steel frames.

Maggie
Old 04-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #210
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Glad all is working out for you. Keep going! Jim