Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 06:01 AM   #181
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Was reading this morning about Sudden Cardiac Death.....just needing to understand it.....most of these incidents occur at home and are unwitnessed.

Notably, any CPR, even from an untrained person, significantly increases the likelihood that a person experiencing a witnessed event will survive.

Doug survived the event, to experience a "permanent vegetative state" from inadequate oxygen due to 30+ minutes of CPR before he got to the Emergency Room. (Because of where our campground was located, it took longer for EMT's to get to him and then to the ER, than in a metropolitan area.)

"WHO CAN YOU SAVE WITH CPR?

The life you save with CPR is mostly likely to be a loved one.

Four out of five cardiac arrests happen at home.

Statistically speaking, if called on to administer CPR in an emergency, the life you save is likely to be someone at home: a child, a spouse, a parent or a friend.

African-Americans are almost twice as likely to experience cardiac arrest at home, work or in another public location than Caucasians, and their survival rates are twice as poor as for Caucasians."

This from the American Heart Association.

Maggie
Old 04-24-2014, 06:19 AM   #182
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The song/lyrics to "You'll Never Walk Alone", an old Rodgers & Hammerstein, keep going through my head this morning.

Maggie
Old 04-24-2014, 07:06 AM   #183
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Centrally Located , Wish you were here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Was reading this morning about Sudden Cardiac Death.....just needing to understand it.....most of these incidents occur at home and are unwitnessed.

Notably, any CPR, even from an untrained person, significantly increases the likelihood that a person experiencing a witnessed event will survive.

Doug survived the event, to experience a "permanent vegetative state" from inadequate oxygen due to 30+ minutes of CPR before he got to the Emergency Room. (Because of where our campground was located, it took longer for EMT's to get to him and then to the ER, than in a metropolitan area.)

"WHO CAN YOU SAVE WITH CPR?

The life you save with CPR is mostly likely to be a loved one.

Four out of five cardiac arrests happen at home.

Statistically speaking, if called on to administer CPR in an emergency, the life you save is likely to be someone at home: a child, a spouse, a parent or a friend.

African-Americans are almost twice as likely to experience cardiac arrest at home, work or in another public location than Caucasians, and their survival rates are twice as poor as for Caucasians."

This from the American Heart Association.

Maggie

Thinking out loud.
Airstreamers share lots of information at rallies.
Like how to repair tail lights, check for propane leaks - things that can save lives.

Maybe it is time to share info/training on CPR and other first aid.
Over time, methods change and it would be good to be up-to-date.

You are inspiring.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:13 AM   #184
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you.

It would be a really good idea to share CPR training at a rally.

I think the best way to do this might be to have a certified trainer teach a class?

Methods do change and evolve, although what I have learned is that any cardiac compressions significantly improve the chances that a person will survive.

This American Heart Association article I was reading this morning said that even an untrained person jumping in and starting chest compressions is worth something. This would surely be the least optimal scenario, tho.

I'd like to see some certified trainers offer to teach some classes in exchange for.....being guests at an awesome rally potluck.

Maggie
Old 04-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #185
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This, too, from the American Heart Association, 2011:

"SEE A VIDEO, SAVE A LIFE
You can prepare yourself to act in an emergency by simply viewing the Hands-Only® CPR instructional video.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/CPRAnd...61_Article.jsp

A study published in the March 8 issue of Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes showed that people who view a CPR instructional video are significantly more likely to attempt life-saving resuscitation.

Hands-Only CPR (CPR with just chest compressions) has been proven to be as effective as CPR with breaths in treating adult cardiac arrest victims.

The American Heart Association has recommended Hands-Only CPR for adults since 2008.
"

My CPR/AED class taught CPR and mouth-to-mouth.

Maggie
Old 04-25-2014, 05:02 AM   #186
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Excellent idea for young and old. Any health training would be useful. Maybe a defensive driving course with RVs in mind would work. Just a volunteer thing, not mandatory. Jim
Old 04-25-2014, 05:25 AM   #187
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The videos are a little hokey , but clear, with basic instruction for the hands only CPR technique they say anyone can apply to teens and adults.

The technique is a bit different for children and infants, we were taught, because when they collapse they are more likely to be experiencing a breathing problem due to choking/an obstruction rather than a cardiac event. Different training, no video found.

What the AHA is saying and showing is that anyone can save a life, and that immediate intervention greatly increases the chance of survival til rescue personnel can get there.

I hope that everyone who follows this thread watches this 60 second video. You will be better prepared to step up and help for a cardiac arrest near you.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/CPRAnd...61_Article.jsp

Maggie
Old 04-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #188
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am gaining muscle where I never had it before. I'm sure that's a good thing for a 65 year old woman whose bone density is important.

I've hauled wood, wood, wood, and more wood. Hundreds of pounds of wood, from the pile in one part of the yard to stack neatly in another part.

This afternoon, 420lbs of cement in 7, 60lb bags. From the sidewalk, where the delivery guys left it.....under protest, they wanted more money to leave it anywhere but the driveway, where the Interstate sits ...ummm, no.....into Gorilla Cart, up the incline of the driveway and into the garage, in case it rains.

Neighbor to the east helped me haul the 4x8 panels to the side of the house.....couldn't carry them myself, and too big for the cart.

All for the 27 foot length of fence that is going in diagonally on the south side of the back yard, from the corner of the house to the corner of the neighbor's fence. Replacing wire fencing that looks tacky and was targeted for an upgrade this spring.

We and these neighbors-to-the-south encroach on each other's property a bit, here and there, but no one cares. These same neighbors offered to use their post-hole digger and help me put this stretch of fence up.

I had gotten a $757.00 estimate from a reputable, local handyman to do this 27 foot stretch of fence. He estimating 13.5 hours of labor. What!!!??? I was disgusted that he would try to take advantage of me and told him....in so many words....to pound sand, as Doug would say.

So, the neighbors and I will put this fence in tomorrow morning, and I will pay them with a large plate of chocolate chip cookies. They think it's a great deal for them. The back yard will then be completely enclosed in wood fencing. Lily runs free in the back yard.

The yard and outdoor things are coming along, and I have done some digging in the back bedroom.....Doug's lair....locating some items that needed found and just seeing what is there. No tears this time.

Doug's headstone will be in place the 2nd or 3rd week in May, in time for Memorial Day.

Thanks for listening. Doing okay.

XO Maggie
Old 04-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #189
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
that all sounds good Maggie...I wish I had you energy!!!! Hugs, gail
Old 04-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #190
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I don't know where I've found the energy, actually.

I get up in the morning and feel driven to do as much as I can each day. To do everything that we would usually do this time of year, even if Doug is not here to help. If he were here, sharing all this, we would pace ourselves......some chores every day, leave others to tomorrow or the next day.

It may not be entirely healthy, but I guess no one is getting hurt. Just my aching muscles. It makes me feel good, to complete these tasks I ordinarily would not do, or not do by myself.

The question will be.....what will I do when all the spring choring is done.

Maybe get the Interstate cleaned so I can spend some time in it.

Saw on the news tonight a video clip of a woman who had a heart attack at a memorial or some other public place.

The police did CPR and saved her life.

Maggie
Old 04-25-2014, 05:27 PM   #191
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
So, what did Mr. Handyman say when you told him what he could do with his estimate?

And I too have been known to suggest an individual pound sand on occasion.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #192
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
So, what did Mr. Handyman say when you told him what he could do with his estimate?

And I too have been known to suggest an individual pound sand on occasion.
When I told him this seemed really, really high, he told me that 13.5 hours was a "conservative" estimate of time needed, (basically two days for 27 foot of fence!) and that his $50 charges here and there....such as for things to prop the posts til the cement set....were reasonable. He also offered to consider matching any other estimate I got, as long as it was "reasonable".

I told him I didn't want to work with him. Stopped short of calling him immoral, a liar and a cheat....but that's what I was thinking. Turd.

Maggie
Old 04-25-2014, 05:54 PM   #193
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Maggie,

With nothing but respect, you're one tough Broad!

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 04-25-2014, 05:57 PM   #194
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Being tough has its' pluses and minuses......as anyone who knows me can tell you.

Maggie
Old 04-25-2014, 06:10 PM   #195
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Maggie,

We're just sitting in the back yard, diner is over sun has set and the campfire is doing its magic. A backyard Airstream weekend.

Gary & LindaClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1398471034.020355.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	787.9 KB
ID:	210534
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 04-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #196
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lovely.

Maggie
Old 04-25-2014, 09:00 PM   #197
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
In defense of SOME contractors...

.... not yours though. 27 feet equals 3 eight foot sections - four posts, or a bit over 5 five foot sections with a max of seven posts. Now if the cost included the materials too, and you went with something really premium, and the terrain wasn't basically level?

Your guy may have been more inept rather than just a crook. I actually joined a local contractors association (trolling for prospective customers) and have learned a lot from the real professionals. 13 hours labor? Probably included two trips to the supply house to get more nails for the nail gun. A contractor who knows how to plan would show up with a stepside van loaded with a well maintained inventory of everything he anticipates he'll need and lots of things he just might need. The first seminar I attended for new members was about TIME MANAGEMENT, and how much each unplanned trip to a hardware store or supply house could affect the bottom line of a business. It's a real eye-opener to a do-it-yourself type. And a lot of "professional" contractors are just graduating from hobby to job!
Old 04-26-2014, 05:08 AM   #198
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for the input, Paula.

I had ordered and paid for all of the materials, including cement and a box of screws. He was picking it all up, which I had no problem paying him for. The ground the fence is going onto is level.

I don't know that he is basically a crook, as he came off Angie's List and had very good reviews. I believe he thought he could take advantage of me, thinking I knew nothing of such things. I don't know much, but I know what makes no sense.

That kind of behavior reflects a character issue, and I don't want to try to work with someone like that. I have a couple of things that needed to be done, that I can't do.

My experience with contractors around here who are just starting out on their own is that they tend to underbid or under-estimate time involved....because they want the work.

Anyway, this guy is dust. I'll find someone else.

Maggie
Old 04-26-2014, 05:22 AM   #199
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
That would probably be a great price here in Florida. We are overcharged for everything. Good for you for standing up! Jim
Old 04-26-2014, 06:45 AM   #200
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Stand up for what makes sense!

After my late sister-in-law was widowed, she paid an electrician several $50 (high for the time) service calls simply to change a blown fuse in her house. She firmly believed there was no way she could learn how to do it. Of course, the electrician kept his mouth shut and took her money.

When DH and I found out and taught her how to change a fuse, she was pretty embarrassed.

Some contractors see women as gullible targets.
Closed Thread