Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2006, 07:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
A sure sign that Christmas is coming

I live in an area having the distinction of being the Christmas tree capital of the world.A sure sign the festive season is almost upon us is the constant trucks driving past my home filled with Christmas trees.
Most are headed to the USA and I can't help but wonder who buys them,where they live and how buying a tree enhances the enjoyment of the Holiday Season for them.Especially for the children.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:51 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
xmas

i think the frazer fir tree growers will disagree with you on being the xmas tree capital of the world. ashe county north carolina is the tree capital of the world. if you ever visit ashe county nc, you will see miles and miles of frazer fir christmas trees.whole mountains covered with them. watauga county nc also. va also grow frazer fir trees.
no other tree will do for a christmas tree than a frazer fir. the trees that you see going to the us are just going to border towns or are being shiped over seas.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock60
i think the frazer fir tree growers will disagree with you on being the xmas tree capital of the world. ashe county north carolina is the tree capital of the world. if you ever visit ashe county nc, you will see miles and miles of frazer fir christmas trees.whole mountains covered with them. watauga county nc also. va also grow frazer fir trees.
no other tree will do for a christmas tree than a frazer fir. the trees that you see going to the us are just going to border towns or are being shiped over seas.
Hi rock60 and a Merry Christmas in advance I guess there must be more than one Christmas tree capital of the world.

http://www.christmastreeproducers.com/

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 10-26-2006, 08:12 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
xmas

also www.christmastree.org/home.cfm
Old 10-26-2006, 08:12 AM   #5
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Yea, but what you have got to remember is that different trees grow in different areas. The Balsom Fir grows in Nova Scotia while the Frazier Fir grows in North Carolina. Then there is the Cedar tree that a lot of folks think is the only Christmas tree to have. Personally, I prefer one of the firs or a Scottish Pine.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:40 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
xmas

the first state that was first to be xmas tree capital of the world was indiana county. then wautoma wis, north carolina then michigan.
lots af nice different trees, but we were talking where the xmas tree capital
was.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock60
the first state that was first to be xmas tree capital of the world was indiana county. then wautoma wis, north carolina then michigan.
lots af nice different trees, but we were talking where the xmas tree capital
was. it is in the usa.

My purpose in starting this thread was inspired by my own remembrance as a child of the enjoyment of picking out a tree and enjoying the festive season.I certainly did not want to debate where the Christmas tree capital of the world is.I have supplied a website that states Lunenburg County is but come on,it really doesn't matter.If you want it to be in the USA that's OK with me.

Have a Merry Christmas regardless of what type of tree or where it came from.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 10-26-2006, 10:56 AM   #8
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
not claiming any sort of "capital" status, here...but just wanted to mention that I used to work at a tree farm in MA, where we grew both Fraser AND balsam firs. (maybe thats cuz we're in between NS and NC? )
they'll both grow in a very wide climate range.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:27 AM   #9
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
I think it's just me getting old, but Christmas trees don't seem to smell as strongly as they did when I was younger.

Anybody care to comment?
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Hi Mike....I will follow your lead

As I was growing up we always had a fake tree I hate to say it...after our cats took the live one down 3 or 4 times I think my mom decided fake it's going to be! No more needles everywhere....but as I now have my own family a Christmas tree (live & cut by us in CT ) to me is something that helps provide wonderful memories...it's not the tree that is essential but the ornaments that go on the tree. Each one seems to have a special meaning to it whether it be passed on from grandparents or a homeade gift from my mom or friends. I think a Christmas tree is a reminder to us during the holiday season of all the love that has been passed down through the years through it's beauty and glow that it provides us during the holiday season.
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:14 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
moonshot, talking about smell. i live in the nc and just looking out my window you can see tree farms everywhere. they have to spray the trees every year, spider mites, etc. anyway when they spray they have hazmat suits on and resperators on. now come christmas time we cut that tree and bring it into our home. is that good or bad?
Old 10-26-2006, 01:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I wonder if most of these "-----of the world" monikers aren't self-created anyway, much like our neighbor village's claim about pumpkins! Dudnn't matter anyway you look at it. If you like the name and it attracts people to your community, claim it As for scents of Christmas trees, I wonder if part of the missing scent is due to our larger homes in comparison to where we grew up. That's true in our case. The little fir tree my dad would bring home would smell wonderful in our little 12 x 12 living room. Also, those cedar trees brought indoors for Christmas can scent up the world, kind of like cat p-- to me, but there are those who grew up with them and love them. Isn't it great how totally diverse we all are?! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:09 PM   #13
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
According to the signs coming into town, I live close to the "best small town in America." We don't do toot for Christmas trees, though. :-)

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote