Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2016, 08:22 PM   #1
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up A Rugged 1953 Willys Jeep CJ Is The Best Kind Of Family Heirloom

Taking the paths you choose, learning to work with the car as a family, and discovering the Southwest off-road in the 1950s before people really did that. That’s what makes this Willys Jeep CJ so special to Larry Shank.

Shank’s father worked on radars and jets at Lockheed after the war, and to get away from it all, he bought a 1953 Willys CJ-3B, attaching a 1947 Ken Skill Teardrop Trailer Model 10 behind it so that the whole family can go on an adventure that started straight off their driveway every time.

Back when it was new, his dad kept upgrading the car throughout the years, adding a V8 in 1955, a new gearbox with overdrive and all the gauges he could fit on the dashboard. Setting up camp in the most remote areas, thinking about the big questions in life and pretending to be lost just for the fun of it.

Driving all across the Southwest before it was cool made Larry grow up in the car, learning how to drive and work on it before he could finally put it on his name. He’s been driving it ever since.

As Petrolicious’s great film explains, this Jeep has seen all that was worth seeing, and is not done just yet. I thought this would be well enjoyed in this particular part of the forum.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Very cool film and nice restoration. I always thought the 3B was a bit of an ugly duckling compared to the 2A model. We have a 74 cj5 that I would like to restore someday but it is still performing farm duty.
Too bad this man doesn't have a family to pass it onto.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I wish there was a like button here. This man has had an awesome childhood. too bad he is the end of his line.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:18 PM   #4
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I thought the whole thing would resonate with this community. I hope he finds a museum for his Jeep and trailer. So much Americana and history right there.

Tags