Saginaw County , Michigan
Bounce does not repel mice

See the BOUNCE thread.

Rog

Old 11-16-2003, 03:56 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Thumbs down So much for Bounce

As reported earlier we put a whole box of Bounce (40 sheets) in our trailer. We also took out all our curtains and mattresses and cleaned the trailer thoroughly. We left little incentive for mice to invade. Yesterday we set out four mouse traps and caught two of them over night. So much for Bounce.

Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 05:07 PM   #31
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Maybe it would have a use if you laid a sheet under each trap, kinda like a welcome mat.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:17 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via ICQ to overlander76 Send a message via AIM to overlander76 Send a message via Yahoo to overlander76
I had a major mouse problem just as the weather started cooling off this fall. I first put out the little green pellets (Decon). I used two boxes. One in the rear access door by the valves and one in the side compartment under the bed. I then put a baited trap (peanut butter) on each side of both the boxes of poison. If for some reason they didn't go for the trap, then they ate the poison. My reasoning was that I didn't want a mouse to get away. In between getting caught they ate the green stuff. After a couple weeks of having no more mice in the traps and no evedence of poison eaten, I went under the airstream and filled every mouse sized crack I could find with Vulkem. They haven't been back. I hate to use poison but it was a last resort. Just be sure to put it somewhere nothing else can get to it (cats, dogs). Mice can RUIN so many things if left to nest. I still have four traps and two boxes of half eaten Decon. I will leave it there all the time when it's parked. It's been at least a month and nothing has touched it.

Good Luck
Brian
Old 11-16-2003, 08:49 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
No Poison

My wife, the U of Minnesota Raptor Center volunteer says absolutely no poison. If the mouse got out and died an owl or other raptor might eat it and in turn get poisoned.

I'm ready to banish our cats to the Airstream if they keep annoying us at 5:00 AM for breakfast.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:05 PM   #34
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
In my experience, poison is not necessary. A generous sprinkle of mothballs throughout has worked for me.
Aside from the prob of other animals eating the poisoned mice, there is the prob of the little varmints decomposing and stinking in a confined space. Pewie!
Old 11-17-2003, 07:18 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
most poisons like warfarin, if properly used, should have a very low risk of secondary poisoning.

For some ideas about rodent control and some links to a variety of pages and resources on the topic, check
http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/ow...ning/mice.html

It is surprising to me what a mouse can do - get through a hole just big enough for a pencil, leap tall bu .... no, thatn's 'nother story.

OK Maurice, your turn.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:03 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
I agree poison is not necessary

Maybe they are OK but one web site's opinion is not the final authority. The Raptor Center gets too many birds in to discount what humans do. OK, OK, I admit I go after ants full salvo with poisons.

We caught our third mouse. On the plus side maybe this Airstream is a mouse magnet and will keep them out of our garage this Winter.

Just out of curiosity I think I will reload the traps this weekend and place them on top of Bounce sheets as Rog jokingly suggested. It may put an end to the subject.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:35 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Bounce Update and the Mouse Magnet Airstream

An update. Mouse number 6 went down today and they are suckers for mouse traps even when on a Bounce mat. I believe the owl in the tree is frowning on my activities in taking away his food supply.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:45 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
The Raptor Center gets too many birds in to discount what humans do.
it is not a good idea to confuse correlation and causation.

Not too good an idea, either, to draw conclusions about the health of the public from a tour of aa hospital.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:10 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Ok, Brian! ;-) I agree with the size of entrance hole! The ends of the rear bumpers have been stuffed with strips of aluminum screening, as was one spot where the belly pan was over cut and left a gap.

In my case, I used the remainder of a tube of Sikaflex, the stuff they're using instead of Vulkem on the newer trailers. I left the ant sized gaps open to allow drainage should there every be a leak in the trailer, but anything larger than that got caulked.

Our male cat loves to go out in the trailer. He cheek marks everything. We leave a litter box out there too. Perhaps it makes the trailer less attractive to mice... but maybe not.

My biggest concern about poison would be mice dying in the nooks and crannies, and stinkin' especially when it's humid. If I thought there was a mouse problem, I'd use peanut butter traps for sure. For ant problems, I'd use the slow-acting bait they take back to the nest and feed to the queen. That's the only way you'll stop 'em.

A very important thing is removing all food (including pet food), making sure the refrigerator, sinks, counters, etc are all clean, and thoroughly vacuuming the rig.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:44 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Can you say DDT?

"it is not a good idea to confuse correlation and causation."

Yeah, humans did not create and cause the destruction DDT wrought on our bird population. <that's sarcasm>

Right now West Nile disease is probably the major enemy. It is especially wiping out owls. Did humans manage to introduce it? Second is probably road kill. Raptors feeding on highway roadkill can't get away from automobiles fast enough. As for poison, I agree with RoadKingMoe. Why gamble on dead mice in inaccessible places?

Terro, the "poison" most used for ants had its formulation changed. It is no longer the deadly poison we learned to love in battling ants. It is now borax based. Borax basically explodes the tummies of those little critters. The principle of it being carried back to the queen is the same. I sprinkle borax on ant hills and find it effective.

Update: No mouse kills this morning in the Airstream or the garage. On to battling the squirrels and deer at the bird feeders today.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:00 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I have merged these two threads...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 02:55 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Yeah, humans did not create and cause the destruction DDT wrought on our bird population. <that's sarcasm>
how many people should die to save a bird?

DDT, when properly used, can and has saved many millions from malaria and other insect born disease. It does not, when properly used, have quite the drastic effects ascribed to it by R Carlson et al.

I think I'd worry more about pedestrians getting hit by cars than birds, but then, we each have our own values. It seems to me that humans should have a place on this world, too.

I also believe sarcasm and cynicism tend to warp judgment and produce questionable conclusions. FUD mongering should be despised (IMHO)

If you have mice nesting in your RV, you are going to have a problem whether or not they die there. I'd agree with those who think trapping and disposal is preferred near human habitats as that can reduce the problem, but you still have debris and mouse waste as contaminants in places that can be hard to clean out.

Now, if you really want to protect birds, you need to get after cats hunting near back yard feeders ... ;-)