Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2003, 11:00 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I have merged these two threads...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 01:55 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Yeah, humans did not create and cause the destruction DDT wrought on our bird population. <that's sarcasm>
how many people should die to save a bird?

DDT, when properly used, can and has saved many millions from malaria and other insect born disease. It does not, when properly used, have quite the drastic effects ascribed to it by R Carlson et al.

I think I'd worry more about pedestrians getting hit by cars than birds, but then, we each have our own values. It seems to me that humans should have a place on this world, too.

I also believe sarcasm and cynicism tend to warp judgment and produce questionable conclusions. FUD mongering should be despised (IMHO)

If you have mice nesting in your RV, you are going to have a problem whether or not they die there. I'd agree with those who think trapping and disposal is preferred near human habitats as that can reduce the problem, but you still have debris and mouse waste as contaminants in places that can be hard to clean out.

Now, if you really want to protect birds, you need to get after cats hunting near back yard feeders ... ;-)
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 01:57 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

The active ingredient in dryer sheets is:

cetyl pyridium chloride

it is a soft waxy solid soluable in water, and is an effective antistat because of the ionic character in its molecular structure.

It also has germicidal properties, and if you buy a box of cepacol throat lozenges, you just bought the same stuff.

about 2 oz. will shut down a 1000 gal septic system, it is that potent!

Additionally it was used by the USAF as an antistat in aerial photographic film for quite some time in the 70's and early 80's
I know, because I got the patent. and got $25.00 for the patent.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 04:24 PM   #44
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
update on mothball treatment

I've had no new sign of mouse visitors since I first sprinkled mothballs throughout the trailer and around the tires 4 months ago. I added a fresh supply today.
I'm hoping that Bounce might find use for expunging the mothball odor when I take the trailer out of storage this spring.

Rog
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 04:35 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Maybe no mice

Rog,

It could be there simply are no mice getting in your trailer mothballs or not. I had mice with Bounce and it did not seem to deter them. I started setting traps and had a lot of activity for the first two weeks and nothing since. It probably means I wiped out the local mouse population.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 05:16 PM   #46
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Re: no mice

Davydd, you may be right but if you scroll back to my 9/29 post, my trailer was overrun with the varmints after trying Bounce for 2 weeks but none since I employed the mothballs on that date.
In any event, I am happy that my AS is not presently a home for wayward vermin.

Rog
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 11:25 AM   #47
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
I made the mistake of using poison once. NEVER again. The smell of dead critters in the walls of my house lingered for 3 weeks - it was so bad, I could not stay there, and left for a week.. I returned only to find it worse. Short of ripping out the drywall, there was nothing to do but wait. So I went on vacation again.

Theo
Old 01-10-2004, 01:04 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

The best poison for mice and rats is strychnine, because it
causes an unquenchable thirst that makes them search for water.
In fact I saw a case where a rat died with his teeth embeded in a lead water pipe for the condensation.
Just try and get the stuff however.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote