Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2018, 01:28 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
wow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
So, it begins; tomorrow will be my first session of chemo to battle the mass that is growing in my stomach.......

It started innocently enough very late last year with difficultly swallowing Melba toast. I put it down to the Melba toast absorbing moisture and swelling up in my throat........had no problems with other food, until the New Year; then it was bread; then my morning muffin got stuck......something wasn't right.

I finally phoned the doctors office in the middle of March starting the process of many tests, (Blood work, chest X-rays, Barium swallow, anti reflux pills for a month, followed by a Gastroscopy), where upon the doctor quietly told me I had a serious problem. Referred to a Thorasic surgeon, who I saw the next day; PET scan, CT scan, another Gastroscopy and finally a Laparoscopy and Gastroscopy at the same time to ascertain wether the cancer had stayed in the stomach, and to stretch open my stomach so I could eat again.

Up to Onocology, chemo lessons, PIC installed across my chest, (very weird feeling feeling a tube being threaded inside you); picked up a host of pills to take and injections to self administer; set up nursing aftercare to service my PIC and take off a chemo bottle I have to wear for 24hrs after the hospital chemo visit. Four bouts of chemo, spaced two weeks apart, followed by surgury, followed by another four bouts of chemo. I hope to have this done by the onstart of winter.

I've lost 40 lbs so far in the last three month and have another 25 week reserve at the current rate of loss per week.

I can't blame this on polishing my Airstream.....I haven't done that yet.

What is your Airstream cancer survivor story and how owning or wishing you owned an Airstream help your positivity. I have an Argosy motorhome that I really want to work on and am excited to start with a 6BT Cummins conversion this fall.

I am going to beat this..........; this campaign is the most important battle I'll be waging.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
heal soon........stay strong, and great choice of motor !!
use one to tow with
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4313 (1).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	318651  
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:28 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Tony, you're now in our prayers.

Along the way to your recovery, you'll find pains in places you didn't know you had, friends you didn't know you had, and love from everyone here.

It may not be easy, but you will come out the other end of the tunnel ready to rock 'n roll!!
Old 08-01-2018, 02:30 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Be brave. Be strong. Be committed.

Good luck beating back the Beast...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:02 PM   #44
Classy Roscoe

Tony,
You have an Airstream to command. Hang in there. You are officially on the Hill Country Prayer Wheel! C Bug has met it's match.

All the best.

JE
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:19 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
Quote:
So, it begins; tomorrow will be my first session of chemo to battle the mass that is growing in my stomach.......

It started innocently enough very late last year with difficultly swallowing Melba toast. I put it down to the Melba toast absorbing moisture and swelling up in my throat........had no problems with other food, until the New Year; then it was bread; then my morning muffin got stuck......something wasn't right.

I finally phoned the doctors office in the middle of March starting the process of many tests, (Blood work, chest X-rays, Barium swallow, anti reflux pills for a month, followed by a Gastroscopy), where upon the doctor quietly told me I had a serious problem. Referred to a Thorasic surgeon, who I saw the next day; PET scan, CT scan, another Gastroscopy and finally a Laparoscopy and Gastroscopy at the same time to ascertain wether the cancer had stayed in the stomach, and to stretch open my stomach so I could eat again.

Up to Onocology, chemo lessons, PIC installed across my chest, (very weird feeling feeling a tube being threaded inside you); picked up a host of pills to take and injections to self administer; set up nursing aftercare to service my PIC and take off a chemo bottle I have to wear for 24hrs after the hospital chemo visit. Four bouts of chemo, spaced two weeks apart, followed by surgury, followed by another four bouts of chemo. I hope to have this done by the onstart of winter.

I've lost 40 lbs so far in the last three month and have another 25 week reserve at the current rate of loss per week.

I can't blame this on polishing my Airstream.....I haven't done that yet.

What is your Airstream cancer survivor story and how owning or wishing you owned an Airstream help your positivity. I have an Argosy motorhome that I really want to work on and am excited to start with a 6BT Cummins conversion this fall.

I am going to beat this..........; this campaign is the most important battle I'll be waging.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
You’ve already got a great attitude, and that’s half the battle! I believe having something big and positive to focus on is a huge help. My Dad and husband are both cancer survivors who started out with bad prognoses.... live your dream, keep your chin up and be well. I’m keeping you in my thoughts!
Barretta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:09 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Tony

Hang in there. I am confident that you will beat it and get better.

Looking forward to hearing about the engine swap in your Argosy motor home.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:01 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
Cancer survivor myself. May your healing come soon. Hang in there and you will get through this.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:40 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
I am so sorry to hear of your news, I recognize and respect your posts.

Words from my late father in law "Do what gives you happiness and allows you to enjoy your family and true friends....just grab it now, don't wait".
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:50 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Prayers your way, please read , www.mycancerstory.rocks . Very uplifting, interesting.
ttrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:07 AM   #50

Currently Looking...
Newfoundland , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbubbaca View Post
Yes, I too have been down this road. 2 years of misdiagnosis. 1/2 a day at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville found a tumor blocking 80% of my lower bowel. Surgery and Radiation.
On the way back from the Mayo on the day of my last radiation treatmen, my wife looked at me and said, " You think it's time to do all those things and go to all those places we've talked about?"
Me "Yes"
Wife " What about the poodle, we can't just leave her? Maybe we should get a motorhome or something."
I said, "The only thing we're getting is an Airstream."
It has been liberating to have the ability to go and do so many things. It's been great to just sit in it in the driveway.
Since cancer, I've had a stoke and a fractured pelvis. I will not allow these things to get in my way of living riveted.
You are reaching out to a rich group of supporting caring people. Allow them to share and support you as you work your way through this.
To mbubbaca: I read your post and as luck would have it, I am in the same situation as you were. Many doctors, but none that have found the problem I have. My opinion is that there is a blockage somewhere in the same area as you had. I did some investigating on see that Mayo in FL has an outstanding record with this sort of thing. Would like to ask you some questions regarding Mayo experience regarding which doctor you saw, etc.
My email is Threevagabonds@aol.com. It is good to hear that you were happy with Mayo. I am not at all happy with the gastro doctors in my area and ready to give the # 7 rated hospital a chance to actually find out what is wrong. (I have never tried to send someone a messege on this site, and hope it gets to you.
Vagabond1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #51
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Many thanks to all for your concern and support.

Update:

Laproscropy showed that the cancer had not spread to the outer stomach wall; so it is contained to the interior of the stomach. Also the stomach wash wipes around the lymph nodes showed strange cells, that they couldn't explain what they were, but they tested them and found them not to be cancerous.

I can eat more since the Laproscopy as the Doctor also did a Gastroscopy at the same time to stretch out the stomach entry, and the chemo is also helping as it shrinks the mass.

I got this beat!

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:13 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Right on you do!
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:27 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
I'm glad to hear the positive news.

Weight control as a by-product. I wish all my spot removals from my face by my dermatologist would; over time; equal a free face-lift. Alas, it has not improved on my looks one bit.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:54 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Wink

Great news, but that doesn't mean we're gonna slack off on the prayers.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Thumbs up

Quote:

I got this beat!

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
That's the spirt!
Old 08-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
Awesome
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #57
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
That is fantastic news!!
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Raymond , Ohio
Awesome but prayers will continue
Jan Tillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #59
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Great news Tony, hope you continue to win the battles.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:48 PM   #60
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Well wishes from strangers afar!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote