Old 08-16-2004, 10:01 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
A New Adventure Begins

well I do not want to start a trend or to cause a distraction to those still functioning this way but I just spent a whole weekend with out a cell phone. I could travel on any road, to a distant town, or the local fishing hole, even shoe shopping without fear of missing a call. turning it off was so cool.
remember do not do this at home. it should only be done by a professional retired person.

A new chapter in my journey and more time to Airstream

Old 08-16-2004, 11:16 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

JP,
Even a youngster like me ( 44 ) can remember life before / without cellphones. I find it astounding how quickly we as a society have become dependant on a tool. I often frustrate people by leaving mine off, not particularly intentionally, but I refuse to be interupted when I do not wish to be. I do have one, and use it, but it is only a phone. Luke

Old 08-16-2004, 11:19 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That's funny, because we are new cellphone owners, and it has given us new freedom. Now we can leave the pets with the petsitters and know they can get a hold of us in Kansas, or wherever the heck we are in case of an emergency (like when they couldn't find the dog's meds). No more checking in or giving them an itenerary - we never know for sure where we're going anyway! Hooray for cellphones!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:28 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Stephanie,
I must admit that you're right about the good they can do for us...communication is always a good thing...but sometimes being out of the loop is ok too, luke
Old 08-16-2004, 05:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
i still dont have one..am i behind the curve?...
when i become more impotent ...i will get one....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Mine does not work inside my house and I love it that way. When I leave in the morning it goes off to tell me all the calls I have missed.

It is an international phone (Motorola V-300 T-Mobile) and has worked all across Europe, the Middle East, Malaysia, Singapore and South America. It works outside and in my garage but not inside my house. Go figure.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:50 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Ours only works in certain rooms of our house, but that is because we live in the boonies. We have the Verizon America's Choice plan, so on our trip around the country we had some sort of coverage most of the time. But we couldn't get a signal while at the CO VAC rally unless we drove into town, and had no signal through much of NM and AZ. Which was enough for me. As long as we could get messages occasionally, we felt secure that everything was ok back home, and we could continue enjoying our adventure.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
I have zero plans to get a cell phone!
The ringers on my land line have been turned off for 10 years.
My doorbell is disabled. I like to concentrate on one thing at a time & tend to get engrossed. Ringing "anythings" startle & unnerve me.
I check the answering machine if I have reason to walk into the kitchen & make note of any calls I might want to return someday.
How in the world do people get anything done if their concentration is broken 20-plus times a day?!
Old 08-16-2004, 08:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
I have zero plans to get a cell phone!
The ringers on my land line have been turned off for 10 years.
My doorbell is disabled. I like to concentrate on one thing at a time & tend to get engrossed. Ringing "anythings" startle & unnerve me.
I check the answering machine if I have reason to walk into the kitchen & make note of any calls I might want to return someday.
How in the world do people get anything done if their concentration is broken 20-plus times a day?!
well, im certainly glad you dont drive an suv and talk on a cell phone at the same time!....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:57 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
my last 18 months of work I was on call 24x7.

we do have it on when in the motorhome.never know when Granny wants to check on the Grandkids.

My first phone was a bag phone because the log walls of our home defeated signal of the handheld models.

not having a cellphone is as good as not having a tv.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Ahh, to travel without a cell phone. I have two cells phones, one with two lines, and one with direct connect radio service, plus a pager for those that can't get through on my phones. To think I take care of being my own recepionist, dispatcher, and consultant, plus do my own job, working for a local goverment. Good for you jpurdy ! for turning off modern technology, I'll be out by the lake sending smoke signals, or was that radiation signals these phones put out
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:33 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

I'm so completly happy that I do not have a TV or a radio or a cell phone and I only have a computer for 6 months out of a year. The bad thing is that I still will only be able to read a couple thousand more good books even if I live to be 85.

Eschew Obfuscation
McMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
and that is exactly why you can spell 2 such words as 'eschew' and 'obfuscation' correctly in a row
Old 08-16-2004, 11:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Last weekend I camped in a dark hollow, next to a stocked stream. There was no cell phone service where my trailer was parked. I was told if I walked
passed the pond, through the pines, around the hard wood trees,and up the mountain, that I could get reception. It took a little more than an hour to reach the top. Yes.....I forgot my cell phone. ( I bet you saw that coming ). But here is the kicker. They are putting a cell tower on top of that mountain. When they do, I will go back and water it .