Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Hereford , Arizona
A little nervous. :(

So, my wife (Aluminomad) & I are brave/foolhardy fulltimers. Living in and renovating Raquel (1968 Safari 22'). We are in Maine and a bit inland but, I am still getting nervous about the impending hurricane. I don't want to be melodramatic but, this is our home. Not a hobby. Not a vacation vehicle. All we have.
If you pray to God, I don't care how. Please pray for us. We can use all the help we can get. I hope everyone stays safe. Jah Bless & keep us all.
Nomadtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadtek View Post
So, my wife (Aluminomad) & I are brave/foolhardy fulltimers. Living in and renovating Raquel (1968 Safari 22'). We are in Maine and a bit inland but, I am still getting nervous about the impending hurricane. I don't want to be melodramatic but, this is our home. Not a hobby. Not a vacation vehicle. All we have.
If you pray to God, I don't care how. Please pray for us. We can use all the help we can get. I hope everyone stays safe. Jah Bless & keep us all.
I would advise that you secure your trailer and leave, you can not replace your life. Hurricanes spawn tornadoes and high wind. Flying debris and falling trees are dangerous. If you stay and have a problem no one can get to you during the storm. If you are in an area hit hard by the storm no water or food will be available for days until relief can get in. If you are advised to evacuate do so immediately, do not add to the problems. I am from New Orleans and have evacuated at least 10 time in my life. If you leave when you return you can bring food and water with you as eating MREs will get old very quickly, ask me how I know.

Let me add that you have wheel on your home and can roll out with what you have, many others can't, that is the best option.

BTW Myself, Wife, Son, Mother-in-Law, and 2 dogs rode out Katrina at Fort Wilderness, we were there for 2 weeks before we could return to New Orleans and had to sneak back in.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Define a "bit inland"?

Trees are what you need to worry about. If the ground around the roots gets wet enough, they will topple.

I'm over in Vermont and am worried about 3 tall hemlocks near my driveway. I think I may try to prop the sides facing my Airstream with old 2x10s. So if they do fall.. they get a push in the other direction.
timmaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Hereford , Arizona
I should clarify. We are parked on a family member's property. We can go up to the house. We should all be safe/fed/dry. Raquel, on the other hand, is within falling distance of several trees. Out in the open and vulnerable to the afforementioned flying debris. We really can't afford any costly repair bills. We are trying to save and prepare for our cross country trek in the fall.
Thank you for your advice. Don't think this area is going to be evacuated. If it were, we'd scoot. I just love Raquel. She's our rolling house. I'm most worried about her and what the hell we would do if any major damage/calamity were to occur.
Be interested to hear the MRE story sometime.
Peace.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
The MRE story is that after we returned to New Orleans that is all the was available to eat but they were free. We did load the trailer with food and water but that only will last so long.

Pickup the obvious things that will fly around and trim any limbs you can. Unfortunately it doesn't take much to dent an Airstream. Best of luck and don't risk your own safety to save the trailer.

If the trailer is road worthy move on out and come back in that is the way the power companies here operate. They go to a safe location and they come back in after the storm. We always make our evacuations into a mini vacation.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 08-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Just got to do what you can and hope on the rest.

Insurance covers the bad. The day my trailer got delivered we had tornado warnings. Called Progressive the instant I looked up the vin and they had me covered before I hung up the phone. So still time if you need to..

Good luck on your adventure prep. We are set to go nomadic in ours in the spring.
timmaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Salem , Massachusetts
she's not insured yet, but we do have a house to literally run to for safety if need be... batting down the hatches as best we can
aluminomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , North Carolina
Securing the trailer

Usually what we do it pull it up right next to the garage, I mean close, <12 inches but NOT touching. Close up all the vents and windows. Trailers are light and anything you can do to keep wind from getting around and under it will help.

Some folks (we have not tried this but might in future) have a set of mobile home anchors already set up but the cables not attached. When there's a storm expected, they rig up the cables, padded with moving pads. Has worked pretty well. (so far!)

DEFINITELY DO NOT STAY IN THE TRAILER WHEN WIND OF ANY APPRECIABLE SPEED PICKS UP.

From what I am seeing on the NOAA site just now 1500 EDST should not be a big deal (this time!)
TinCanLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
APPLY FOR INSURANCE NOW! At least that way you are covered if disaster strikes, you are going to want to be insured on your trek this fall, so just take out the policy a couple of months sooner.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
APPLY FOR INSURANCE NOW! At least that way you are covered if disaster strikes, you are going to want to be insured on your trek this fall, so just take out the policy a couple of months sooner.
You can try but they normally they will put a moratorium in place and you can't purchase insurance when a natural disaster in eminent.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 08-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I'd hook on to the trailer and head west.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #12
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
You can try but they normally they will put a moratorium in place and you can't purchase insurance when a natural disaster in eminent.
I hope you don't mind me intruding..I do hope you are all right with things and coping with it all..I got drenched today here in Middle England..Torrential rain but my goodness nothing like your yourselves..nothing at all..Kindest Regards TC
TinCrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #13
Airstream Newbie

Currently Looking...
Torrance , California
One other thing to consider -- which may or may not apply in this case is that (I think) some home owner policies may possibly cover damage if something were to befall your trailer.. Of course, if it's not too late you could drive far away (west) and hope for the best -- as long as nobody whacks your trailer on the way out of dodge! Just a thought -- I'm FAR away on the 'left' coast.. YMMV!!
Rick F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
According to Nomad's profile they don't have tow vehicle. However, in an emergency something can be done to move the trailer—any vehicle can work with a ball on the hitch receiver, or maybe use a tractor. It sounds like the problem is trees and moving it 20 or 40' may be enough.

I don't know if anyone is praying for you as you asked, but in the meantime you should consider taking some action yourselves.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #15
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Well, there's no hope for me. Here's the satellite view of my house. (and yeah, we're in the path of Irene).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gmaps.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	138761  
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Hereford , Arizona
The (TV) is getting it's tranny cooler installed next week. Not going to be much help until then.
We are doing everything in our power to prepare for the storm. The request for prayer was intended to supplement any precautions we are able to make.
Was hoping we wouldn't need insurance until we were hauling her out onto the road. Silly me.
Even more silly? My intention is to stay with/in Raquel. Staying aboard my land yacht unless it becomes apparent that it is time to head for the "lifeboat/aunt's house."
Thanks for all the advice/thoughts/prayers!
Old 08-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
We will certainly be praying for your family's safety as well as the Safari.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , North Carolina
High wind, etc.

Another thing we usually do is fill all the tanks. Adds 850# of low ballast.
TinCanLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Most trees are 100' or less (east of the mississippi) so try to give yourself that much of a perimeter if possible. Or come down to GA, lots of parking space!
Will keep you in my prayers.

kevin
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Mainely in Maine comments

The best thing to do in your situation is to make sure the trailer is parked far enough away from falling trees and limbs. This is the number one threat to our tender aluminum other than hail.

As others have suggested, close the windows and secure all other trailer parts like awnings and outdoor accessories that could damage the trailer.

Another reason to have a full water tank as well as a fully charged battery is in case of power outages at the house. Also full LP tanks. The trailer will become your emergency living area after the storm. This is when owning a generator really starts to pay off. Locate all power cords and hoses in advance of the heavy rain and wind. Have some extra 5 gallon buckets filled with water for house toilet flushing. Always a surprize luxury.

Another thing to do is check for leaks in the trailer if possible during the storm and have some extra towels ready. I always do this as driving rains will push water into one window and a small towel stops the water from extended damage.

Fire up the refrigerator in advance on electric and have extra ice in the frige and separate drinking water ready if power in case of power failure.

We have found the trailer to be a great asset during power outages if we plan in advance. But you must protect the trailer first.

It sounds like the storm is weakening as of tonight, and we will not get hit so hard.

Good luck.

Gary
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote